Phil Steele 2023 = $19.99 (price reduction from last year?)

majent

Oklahoma Sooners
Is it my imagination or do I recall last year the price was $30?

If it was then I overpaid by $10 LOL

Perhaps sales were lower last year they reduced the price back to the $20.

An extra $10 does not matter but it did feel a little greedy!

Idk about other mags but the main differentiator is he talks thru the post spring rosters w nearly all the HC's and gets some scoops w other changes w the team .. clearly has relationships to maintain so nothing ever sounds on the team pages like there's a total disaster brewing, always a positive spin on the unit write ups, gotta read between the lines a little bit .. but def clues us into surprise players guys back from injury, depth etc .. and yeah if any units aren't sounding super positive we can put a red X next to them ..

The thing to really look at is the conf / division order .. when Phil says "most accurate preview mag for last 30 years" he's referring to the conf/div accuracy records kept by stassen which compares various previews .. really unimpressive website that nobody's heard of but pretty diligent in the record keeping ... easy to skip the lead conf page but I'd count on Phil really liking that 'most accurate' title and putting more thought into the conf rankings than any others in the mag so that's the first thing I check .. and kinda need to read between the lines w those too since he's playing a long game and no need to take wild risks even w surprise teams he sounds real positive on .. that was my read when he put Troy #2 in their Div LY and said ALOT of good stuff for them .. no way everyone wasn't gunna have ULL #1 so no need to risk flopping w Troy when all the other mags will win w ULL, etc .. but was pretty clear Troy was a surprise pick for him just reading the team page and yeah credit Phil on the 10-1 shot and RSW over 5 won real easy .. doesn't always work out that way he's flopped plenty of times but Phil talking to the coaches and the experience doing it he's just gunna have a beat on stuff others won't have .. put the kinda boring stassn website below if interested ..

I pre-ordered the Pick Six Preview for $20. Worth it.
Pick Six is way up there in the rankings on that stassn website I got it one year interesting w the layout and charts .. would be an annual buy for me if he did previews for G5 too but yeah think his stassn is most accurate in last 10 years on that website so would at least count on the conf/div rankings being pretty well thought through ..

Pick Six is way up there in the rankings on that stassn website I got it one year interesting w the layout and charts .. would be an annual buy for me if he did previews for G5 too but yeah think his stassn is most accurate in last 10 years on that website so would at least count on the conf/div rankings being pretty well thought through ..
I care less about accurate predictions than I do getting concise and relevant breakdowns of each team. Ultimately the predictions have to be my own.

I wouldn't even try to bet without my Phil Steele magazine.

I don't bother to read his rankings. I can tell where he ranks teams within the conference by the order in which they are listed, but I don't give a shit about his or any other pre-season rankings.

I want the information he provides and no one else comes close to providing the info he does. I save hours every week by not having to look up all the stuff I used to have to search for

Even he cannot keep up with the transfers and how many years a guy has left, but he provides a lot of solid, useful data

I think last year was the first year I didn't buy it. Hadn't been using it much the previous couple of years and i didnt miss it much. The other preseason mags are even worse garbage.

I wouldn't even try to bet without my Phil Steele magazine.

I don't bother to read his rankings. I can tell where he ranks teams within the conference by the order in which they are listed, but I don't give a shit about his or any other pre-season rankings.

I want the information he provides and no one else comes close to providing the info he does. I save hours every week by not having to look up all the stuff I used to have to search for

Even he cannot keep up with the transfers and how many years a guy has left, but he provides a lot of solid, useful data

I agree I like it for quick reference into returning starters and unit ranks. Like to see YPP YPC quickly. It’s not all encompassing but it’s effective enough for what I need to see .

Is it my imagination or do I recall last year the price was $30?

If it was then I overpaid by $10 LOL

Perhaps sales were lower last year they reduced the price back to the $20.

An extra $10 does not matter but it did feel a little greedy!

I looked up my order from June 2022 and the invoice was $19.99

I looked up my order from June 2022 and the invoice was $19.99
"s--k said:
What the hell is this about? New user who hasn't been on the site during an actual college football season acting like a big shot. That's always helpful."

I don't know 100% if that was directed at me but it had to be LOL

I am too busy doing HW with my children and coaching them in sports from late Aug through Nov so I never have time to post during the season and would not be able to bring much of anything useful at that time anyway.

CFB has been my passion for ~40 years but I am too busy to properly 'cap anymore but if I have a rock solid pick I feel has a strong +EV I will definitely post it.

I usually 'cap the Sooners and the BIG 12 pretty well as I follow my team and the conference closely.

"s--k said:
What the hell is this about? New user who hasn't been on the site during an actual college football season acting like a big shot. That's always helpful."

I am too busy doing HW with my children and coaching them in sports from late Aug through Nov so I never have time to post during the season and would not be able to bring much of anything useful at that time anyway.

CFB has been my passion for ~40 years but I am too busy to properly 'cap anymore but if I have a rock solid pick I feel has a strong +EV I will definitely post it.

I usually 'cap the Sooners and the BIG 12 pretty well as I follow my team and the conference closely.
Wasn’t directed at you.

"s--k said:

He quoted the person he directed the comment towards.

Thanks.
even if he had been, it is fine.
no worries.
but nice to know things are chill LOL

All is indeed fine. No harm intended there.

I think the magazines might be mailing? Now just have to find time to read it!

Lindy's bolds the returning starters and gives you height and weight.
They do not provide the count of returners so you have to do that quick math
which is obviously easy however it takes extra time.

Athlon's also bolds returning starters and they give you the count however they do
not provide the height and weight.

It was in fact $30 last year when including the shipping !!

No Thanks. I will wait until it shows up at B&N

Went into the Steele website just now and it calculated to this:

2023 Phil Steele College Football Preview Magazine - National × 1$19.99
Subtotal$19.99
Shipping
  • Priority: $9.00
  • Stamps.com USPS Priority Mail: $8.79
  • UPS by ShipStation UPS® Ground: $9.93
  • UPS by ShipStation UPS 2nd Day Air®: $17.09
Handling$3.00
Tax$0.00
Total$31.78

Yeah I figured I missed the boat with shipping but now I wish I had. Stopped in BN and didn’t see it a couple of days ago. Someone let me know when you notice it in stock somewhere. Thanks!

I was bitching about spending $30 instead of $20 on it last year (my mantra is that it is Not how much you make but how you Save that matters - i've learned this the hard way) but I ended up ordering online from B&N and spent $27 total on mag, tax, S&H and also spent $25 total on athlon/lindy two weeks ago so I have spent over $50 on 3 mags i barely have time to read LOLOL

i'm an idiot. i will drink a few less beers to make up for the $50 LOL

WHY DO PHIL STEELE THREADS ALWAYS GET WEIRD? ha

Think about it- he's a genius. A degenerate gambler and tout, that decided to go legit - convinced every AD and HC in America he was simply an information guy somehow. So now he talks to them directly - for an hour or so ....... anybody here pull that off? Claims he doesn't bet - like any degenerate would do in his spot ha.

For me it's a post spring roster update - which saves a TON of time. And provides a great BIG PICTURE breakdown on the likely DIRECTION the program is heading - using stats and ats data. And game by game stats for LY. I have NEVER looked at his predictions.

The only issue for gamblers? He no longer provides little, IF ANY - critical analysis. His JOB is to sell magazines, so it's all cheerleader stuff, as people / fans HATE to be criticized. So when you've finished reading EVERY teams breakdown (pretty much) - you think "wow, they're gonna be much better this year!!" >> ridiculous

An absolute steal at $20 - I buy the digital version early (had it several weeks) so I don't destroy the magazine by week 1, and the hard copy later.

I got the trifecta of Lindy's, Athlon and Phil Steele last week at B&N in preparation for my trip to the beach. After going through them, one thing I've noticed is that they all agree that every program in the country is on the way up, save one.

Think about it- he's a genius. A degenerate gambler and tout, that decided to go legit - convinced every AD and HC in America he was simply an information guy somehow. So now he talks to them directly - for an hour or so ....... anybody here pull that off? Claims he doesn't bet - like any degenerate would do in his spot ha.

For me it's a post spring roster update - which saves a TON of time. And provides a great BIG PICTURE breakdown on the likely DIRECTION the program is heading - using stats and ats data. And game by game stats for LY. I have NEVER looked at his predictions.

The only issue for gamblers? He no longer provides little, IF ANY - critical analysis. His JOB is to sell magazines, so it's all cheerleader stuff, as people / fans HATE to be criticized. So when you've finished reading EVERY teams breakdown (pretty much) - you think "wow, they're gonna be much better this year!!" >> ridiculous

An absolute steal at $20 - I buy the digital version early (had it several weeks) so I don't destroy the magazine by week 1, and the hard copy later.
Agreed BA… great post. it’s useful 5 years later…for the Teams to Fade, and early updates on things I value -OL, Special teams etc.

Great Post, Bro. Cheers!

Think about it- he's a genius. A degenerate gambler and tout, that decided to go legit - convinced every AD and HC in America he was simply an information guy somehow. So now he talks to them directly - for an hour or so ....... anybody here pull that off?

This is like asking if anyone here has eaten 1,000 crab cakes in 10 minutes. I don't think anyone here has pulled it off. But I also don't think anyone here has tried to pull it off nor would they have any interest in doing so.

This is like asking if anyone here has eaten 1,000 crab cakes in 10 minutes. I don't think anyone here has pulled it off. But I also don't think anyone here has tried to pull it off nor would they have any interest in doing so.

NO IT AIN'T

Its like saying that maybe Jim Feist or Dave Cokin - managed to become the most respected expert on CFB in the fucking world - and was able to sit down and talk with most every head coach in America - while SELLING PICKS ON THE SIDE, and probably betting too right? Correct - he still was involved with Power Sweep / Plays at one point after becoming 'legit' - now I don't know. He is also listed on EVERY program's official website. Name ONE person that has even come close to this? He also did this when gambling was illegal most everywhere here.

NO IT AIN'T

Its like saying that maybe Jim Feist or Dave Cokin - managed to become the most respected expert on CFB in the fucking world - and was able to sit down and talk with most every head coach in America - while SELLING PICKS ON THE SIDE, and probably betting too right? Correct - he still was involved with Power Sweep / Plays at one point after becoming 'legit' - now I don't know. He is also listed on EVERY program's official website. Name ONE person that has even come close to this? He also did this when gambling was illegal most everywhere here.

And this is exactly why this topic is so polarizing. Because when you read through his magazine you can't make it past 2 pages without the guy blowing himself. Or on twitter or message boards when his supporters go over the top in making him out to be something that he's not. It's kinda annoying.

Most respected expert in the world according to whom? I think Tahoe tracks all of Steele's picks in his thread...from what I recall his pick record isn't very good. Which of course doesn't mean he can't still have good info.

But regardless, there are more than a few members of this little forum who I'd go to for info over Steele. When I need to know who Nebraska's backup long snapper snapper was in 2018 then Steele is my guy.

Again, I can't name someone else who has done it because I don't know anyone who has desired to try. He's a terrific marketer who has built a real name for himself and has somehow managed to convince a segment of the cfb world that he's a genius. But all industries have their share of amazing marketers. So, it's whatever to me.

Steele’s picks suck but the fact he’s a bettor and can get so much information is what makes him interesting. It’s just a great read with tons of information. A refreshing change of pace from looking at a 4 inch screen 8 hours a day.

Back