Phil Bet $1Billion, With a "B"

bones

We Must Protect Our Democracy

Phil Mickelson gambled more than $1 billion on football, basketball and baseball over the last three decades and attempted to make a $400,000 wager on his 2012 U.S. Ryder Cup team, according to excerpts from an upcoming book that appeared Thursday in the Fire Pit Collective.

“Phil liked to gamble as much as anyone I've ever met,” wrote renowned professional gambler Billy Walters in “Gambler: Secrets from a Life at Risk”, which is set to be released later this month but was excerpted Thursday in the Fire Pit Collective.

“Frankly, given Phil's annual income and net worth at the time, I had no problems with his betting. And still don't. He's a big-time gambler, and big-time gamblers make big bets. It's his money to spend how he wants.”

Walters also claimed in his book that Mickelson attempted to make a $400,000 bet that the U.S. team would win the '12 Ryder Cup. The Americans lost to Europe by one point at Medinah, with Mickelson’s singles loss to Justin Rose contributing to the defeat.

Think Walters said he lost $100M on that $1B. Still, he recently said he's almost a billionaire so it didn't seem to hurt him too much. Just like when Jordan caught hell for betting $50K on a golf hole - that's chump change to him, like $100 to us mortals. What I wonder is what books were taking his action?? Wonder if Walters will disclose that.

Just saw Morikawa (Maui raised) is going to give $1,000 for each birdie this weekend to Maui fund. Nice gesture but my gosh that's nothing - like me doing 50 cents.

Think Walters said he lost $100M on that $1B. Still, he recently said he's almost a billionaire so it didn't seem to hurt him too much. Just like when Jordan caught hell for betting $50K on a golf hole - that's chump change to him, like $100 to us mortals. What I wonder is what books were taking his action?? Wonder if Walters will disclose that.

Just saw Morikawa (Maui raised) is going to give $1,000 for each birdie this weekend to Maui fund. Nice gesture but my gosh that's nothing - like me doing 50 cents.

lol yeah, he gets 15 birds he's giving 15k? maybe if he matched every birdie for everyone all weekend long

Think it's all FedEx Cup playoffs but point taken

who cares what amount he donates?
It's a win-win.
He's willing to contribute at the same time, using it for motivation.

Sounds like his relatives from his Father’s side lived on the island and even had a restaurant in Lahaina. I’m sure he will be helping more, but the damage is so bad who knows when/ how long it may take to rebuild…

Back