Pennzoil 400 Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pennzoil 400 Preview and Best Bet

NASCAR Cup Series: Pennzoil 400
Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 3:30 p.m. ET (FOX) at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas, Nevada

Race Info

The Pennzoil 400 is so-called because in completing 267 laps drivers will have accumulated 400 miles.

This event consists in three stages.

Stage 1 requires 80 laps. Stage 2, also, requires 80 laps. Stage 3, the final stage, consists in 87 laps.

Like previous weeks, an entry list has been published for this event. 38 drivers are posted.

Regarding the starting lineup, there is no sort of practice or qualifying for this race.

But the starting lineup should be released soon.

Starting lineup isn’t an absolutely decisive factor, but it is an important one, especially if you are looking into betting on multiple drivers. Some drivers have proven to be more dependent on having a good starting position at this track.

In general, driver starting position tends to align closely with driver finishing position at this track.

Track Info

The Pennzoil 400 will take place on the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

This track is 1.5-miles long. Its racing surface is asphalt.

Its turns enjoy a moderate degree of banking. The turns are progressively banked at 12 and then 20 degrees.

Banking is nice because it can increase driver speed by allowing the driver to collect momentum and velocity.

While the drivers thus receive some help from the track, drivers have complained that this track can be unforgiving in some respects.

Most notably, drivers have stated that Las Vegas Motor Speedway is a bumpy track. Bumps can influence tire pressure, which affects car handling and the ability to pass other cars.

So it’s worth noting that this track has been rated as having one of the bumpier surfaces in NASCAR’s Cup Series.

More promising competitors will be able to navigate this less ideal driving surface.

Drivers To Avoid

Last year’s NASCAR Cup Series champion, Chase Elliott, is somebody you should avoid investing in at this track.

Even last season, he suffered poor finishes at this track. He’s generated a lot of catastrophic results in Las Vegas, despite often enjoying propitious starting positions.

Despite averaging an 8.9 starting position, Elliott is averaging a 21.50 finishing position.

Also avoid Kyle Busch. Like the defending champ's, Busch’s form has been less than desirable.

Busch has also suffered numerous flops at this event even when starting in good position.

There are likewise better options to invest in than Brad Keselowski.

While Keselowski’s overall statistics at this event look promising, his success in Las Vegas hasn’t been recent.

Moreover, he is mirroring last year’s lackluster start to his season. He’s taking time to round into form.

Joey Logano

If Joey Logano’s starting position is favorable enough, then he’s somebody you want to invest in.

When he starts in top-10 position, he’s finished top-five in five of his last seven attempts.

This ability contrasts with other drivers like Ryan Blaney, who has only two top-five finishes here out of four times where he was positioned top-10 in the starting lineup.

My Favorite Guy: Martin Truex Jr.

Unequivocally, my favorite driver to invest in for Sunday’s race is Martin Truex Jr.

For starters, Truex Jr. is rounding into form as evidenced by his third-place finish last week at Miami.

More importantly, he has a positive history at this track that he has sustained even when dealt with poor starting positions.

In 2019, for example, he started in 24th, but ended up winning the race.

For the above reasons, be sure to invest in Truex Jr., no matter what his place will be in the starting lineup.

Best Bet: Truex Jr. To Win (Odds TBA)

Matty D with two second place finishes at LV last year is +6600. Absolute garbage so far this year. I'm sure he'll be priced very high in DK pricing given his starting position.

I think I'll roll with Keselowski this week at 8-1. But I've been wrong all year so far. Hopefully this is the week we get back to normal with a non bomber winner.

Since 2011, only previous Cup Champions have won this race. So basically 6 guys with Keselowski, Logano, Harvick, and Truex have won 9 out of the last 10 races there.

It is hard to find much to bet on this Sunday. I wish they would start qualifying and practicing again. I don't really love anything.

I bet Truex to win at +675 earlier in the week (small $20)
I bet Larson to win today at +1050 (small $20)

I bet Bowman -109 over Byron
I bet Larson -117 over Kyle Busch

I do feel great about either.

The best bet that I do not have access to is Buescher -134 over Bubba
I think the best bet that I do not have access to is 3-0 so far this year.

It is hard to find much to bet on this Sunday. I wish they would start qualifying and practicing again. I don't really love anything.

Nice call on Larson

Nice job with Larson. Well done.

He was by far the best car. Look out if he already has it figured out, because it could be scary to see what he does in good equipment. He will be odds on to win 2 weeks on the dirt at Bristol.

Bubba is an easy target right now but it's not all on him. That's twice now something electrical has gone wrong with his car. That team is just way behind right now. It's not all Bubbas fault though. But having said that, I'll keep playing against him in H2Hs for awhile.

Nice job with Larson. Well done.

He was by far the best car. Look out if he already has it figured out, because it could be scary to see what he does in good equipment. He will be odds on to win 2 weeks on the dirt at Bristol.

Bubba is an easy target right now but it's not all on him. That's twice now something electrical has gone wrong with his car. That team is just way behind right now. It's not all Bubbas fault though. But having said that, I'll keep playing against him in H2Hs for awhile.
Yeah, I am pretty sure that his team did not get their first car until sometime in January, so they were and are way behind.

Back