Penn State's bowl ban lifted by NCAA

takeit

THE Wife
Did not see this coming:

The Penn State football program, which had incurred severe sanctions after the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal, received good news Monday when the NCAA ended the Nittany Lions' postseason ban and scholarship limits.The NCAA said the reward was because of "Penn State University's significant progress toward ensuring its Athletics Department functions with integrity," according to a statement from the executive committee of the collegiate sports ruling body

Wonder what the Penn St to win the B1G ticket was paying. I assume that will cancel all action on those futures.

thankfully the ncaa can't rip away ped state moniker. or creepy valley. or the fact that the overwhelming percentage of fans, who previously touted themselves as morallly superior, showed they don't give a damn about anything but winning.

I disagree. what's the point of a ban if you don't enforce it? No different than sanctioning a program like USC after the coach leaves. I don't give a shit if Ghandi himself approves of what PSU has done since then. It sends the wrong message.

hard to determine how to continue penalization of those who are dead and in prison.. guess you move on but this seems a bit quick for me.. If XYZ state univ had harbored an official who systematically raped several dozen 12 year old girls, you think the outcome is the same? makes me sick tbh and doubt I will ever view PSU ever again with anything but extreme disgust.

Simply put, there was a massive rush to judgement in this case and the ncaa goose is cooked because they conspired with PSU BOT to get this Freeh report hurried way back when to move on.

Nobody is surprised in the least if you followed this case or basically ignored what the media sold you.

If you are mad at this you will be furious when they restore all the wins for Paterno and possibly issue a public apology because the NCAA is screwed here and will be paying in more ways then one out their asses when they lose more cases.

I mentioned this would happen years ago on here, but everyone called me a pedo protector and penn st fan. So be it.

hard to determine how to continue penalization of those who are dead and in prison.. guess you move on but this seems a bit quick for me.. If XYZ state univ had harbored an official who systematically raped several dozen 12 year old girls, you think the outcome is the same? makes me sick tbh and doubt I will ever view PSU ever again with anything but extreme disgust.

yep :cheers3:

ncaa arbitrary change of stance, such bullshit

Simply put, there was a massive rush to judgement in this case and the ncaa goose is cooked because they conspired with PSU BOT to get this Freeh report hurried way back when to move on.

Nobody is surprised in the least if you followed this case or basically ignored what the media sold you.

If you are mad at this you will be furious when they restore all the wins for Paterno and possibly issue a public apology because the NCAA is screwed here and will be paying in more ways then one out their asses when they lose more cases.

I mentioned this would happen years ago on here, but everyone called me a pedo protector and penn st fan. So be it.

i agree that there was a massive rush to judgement. i also agree that bot/freeh report/ncaa thing was totally botched. and unfortunately the old bastards wins will likely be restored just like everything else is simply because of the legality of it all. but what i can't accept is that he didn't know. many, many people knew. i heard rumblings of this 9 months before the story broke. nor can i accept he came even close to doing the right thing by checking it up the chain of command. don't get me started

makes me think of a perp on trial that any logical person knows is guilty. he has great attorneys, he doesn't testify, the police screwed up the evidence and the prosecution fucks up. he gets a free pass but he's not innocent. so give psu fans their 409, a bowl game and an ncaa apology, but it doesn't change anything in my eyes.

USC has got to be pissed, and rightfully so. whether the NCAA over stepped its boundaries or not is less important to me, but if they could just be freaking consistent they'd have a lot less haters.

I am going to leave this alone after this cause everyone has their opinions and everyone knows what mine is from yrs back and i dont care to go back down that road. But you have got to understand a couple of important things. 1. Paterno was not the perp, Jerry was 2. Jerry was about to be hired by the University of Virginia in 2001 after this "shower event" before Al Groh got the job because the Jets lost a pivotal game, so barely anyone knew 3. DA said Paterno did not cover up on CBS news 4. NCAA insanely puts out this year that the way to handle sex abuse for coaches is to do exactly what Paterno did, nothing more nothing less which screws them royally in the case Paterno v NCAA 5. Mike McQueary is about as believable as a $2 hooker on 8 mile and his story of the PSU shower incident which this whole mess was about has changed numerous times, not to mention the victim in that incident said "nothing happened" in a written letter to prosecutors and charges in that matter were not guilty, the only ones not guilty of about 50 for Jerry. Thats what the whole thing was about for Paterno/PSU. Like I said, the NCAA knew they are going to get screwed, you had US Senators writing them letters to end sanctions or else and they figure they cut their losses now. That Freeh report has been torn to shreds by countless people even the prosecutor going after the 3 men still awaiting trial said Freeh report was wrong about Paterno. NCAA overstepped boundaries and no competetive advantage was gained in this shit show and Big 10 wants PSU relevant because the conference frickin blows and that Franklin guy can get them relevant quick.

I wont comment again about this

i lived in and around state college for decades. i'm a psu alum. so is my wife, entire family and almost all of my close friends. i've heard everyone of these shared excuses from many different people. it's a johnny cochran type defense and there's as many holes in those excuses as the freeh report has. but now it's like religion or abortion. i agree we can stop debating because everybody's minds are already made up

Taking the Cochran example another step ... I remember the disappointment and shock I had when oj was riding down the street in the back of a bronco, accused of murder with a gun in hand to presumably end his own life. I grew up in upstate new York and was an OJ fan and I liked his personality on the nbc pregame shows and in his role in the naked gun movies. This was back in a time when athletes were bigger than life in some respects, and back when I was naïve. I felt even worse after hearing the PSU news. Penn State was my standard bearer for doing it all "the right way" and that started with Paterno. Finding out how badly he screwed up, whatever the motives were.... was just beyond belief.

I will try to get away from calling the school Pedo State but it will be hard.

I have respect for the kids that stayed and played hard ( I would have transferred because I would have been disgusted with the university not because I wanted a better situation on the field ) who knew nothing about anything. I hope their program eventually recovers ... I think Franklin WILL get them back ... but the ban lift is ridiculous imo .... I guess trinkets for tattoos is worse than pedophilia in the eyes of the NCAA.

I am going to leave this alone after this cause everyone has their opinions and everyone knows what mine is from yrs back and i dont care to go back down that road. But you have got to understand a couple of important things. 1. Paterno was not the perp, Jerry was 2. Jerry was about to be hired by the University of Virginia in 2001 after this "shower event" before Al Groh got the job because the Jets lost a pivotal game, so barely anyone knew 3. DA said Paterno did not cover up on CBS news 4. NCAA insanely puts out this year that the way to handle sex abuse for coaches is to do exactly what Paterno did, nothing more nothing less which screws them royally in the case Paterno v NCAA 5. Mike McQueary is about as believable as a $2 hooker on 8 mile and his story of the PSU shower incident which this whole mess was about has changed numerous times, not to mention the victim in that incident said "nothing happened" in a written letter to prosecutors and charges in that matter were not guilty, the only ones not guilty of about 50 for Jerry. Thats what the whole thing was about for Paterno/PSU. Like I said, the NCAA knew they are going to get screwed, you had US Senators writing them letters to end sanctions or else and they figure they cut their losses now. That Freeh report has been torn to shreds by countless people even the prosecutor going after the 3 men still awaiting trial said Freeh report was wrong about Paterno. NCAA overstepped boundaries and no competetive advantage was gained in this shit show and Big 10 wants PSU relevant because the conference frickin blows and that Franklin guy can get them relevant quick.

Holy shit, where do I begin? How do you people continue to cling to the notion that what Paterno did was acceptable? Kids were fucking raped for YEARS after everyone knew, or should have known what Sandusky was up to. It's why he "retired" in '99 at the ripe old age of 55 a year after having the top defense in the country. The old cretin was using the facilities up until the day he was arrested and a guest in the Beaver Stadium boxes during the Illinois game in '11 when the whole shitstorm broke. Paterno and many others absolutely knew about Sandusky's behavior, and they allowed him to remain a free man, and they did it because they didn't want the program to have negative publicity.

As for the "no competitive advantage" argument, what happened as a result of the "Football is King" culture at Penn State is far worse than any recruiting violation. Penn State's admin proved then and the reactions of the Penn State community since have confirmed that protecting the status of the football team was more important than stopping a serial rapist. How is that tolerable for the NCAA, or any organization that represents many members? That's why the sanctions in my opinion weren't even close to enough. That fucking cesspool of a program should have gotten the death penalty. What could be worse than a program's culture having a hand in these results?

One last thing and I'll end this rant: How in the hell is that Lasch Building still standing? Kids were raped in there. How can anyone walk in there without throwing up? Do players still shower in that same spot? If so, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I disagree. what's the point of a ban if you don't enforce it? No different than sanctioning a program like USC after the coach leaves. I don't give a shit if Ghandi himself approves of what PSU has done since then. It sends the wrong message.

Agree here. And I'll also add the suspension/ban was appropriate. Sandusky used Penn St's facilities and the Penn St. shield to lure young boys and rape them. This was a university-wide issue, and the university, as a whole, deserved to get punished.

Taking the Cochran example another step ... I remember the disappointment and shock I had when oj was riding down the street in the back of a bronco, accused of murder with a gun in hand to presumably end his own life. I grew up in upstate new York and was an OJ fan and I liked his personality on the nbc pregame shows and in his role in the naked gun movies. This was back in a time when athletes were bigger than life in some respects, and back when I was naïve. I felt even worse after hearing the PSU news. Penn State was my standard bearer for doing it all "the right way" and that started with Paterno. Finding out how badly he screwed up, whatever the motives were.... was just beyond belief.

I will try to get away from calling the school Pedo State but it will be hard.

I have respect for the kids that stayed and played hard ( I would have transferred because I would have been disgusted with the university not because I wanted a better situation on the field ) who knew nothing about anything. I hope their program eventually recovers ... I think Franklin WILL get them back ... but the ban lift is ridiculous imo .... I guess trinkets for tattoos is worse than pedophilia in the eyes of the NCAA.

Great stuff Kyle

Wonder what the Penn St to win the B1G ticket was paying. I assume that will cancel all action on those futures.

Were 'PSU to win the BIG' odds even available since they weren't allowed to be in the title game when the odds were set?

don't stop believing, Steve Perry.

Were 'PSU to win the BIG' odds even available since they weren't allowed to be in the title game when the odds were set?

That was my point, since they are now eligible I'd have to imagine all futures bets for that conference have to be off.

Back