Penn State vs Northwestern Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Going public here. (As always buying down to key number). Thanks. Feel free to discuss and BOL

Back Physical Nittany Lions to Devour Northwestern

#4 Penn State (5-0) travels to face Northwestern (2-2) this Saturday at 12:00 ET. The Nittany Lions opened as 13.5 point favorites, but that number has been bet up to 15.5.

The main question confronting Northwestern is whether they can establish their rush attack. In both losses this season, Justin Jackson averaged less than 3 yards per carry. In both wins, he averaged more than 3 YPC and achieved over 100 yards. In 5 of 6 losses last season, Jackson ran for less than 100 yards. In 5 of 7 wins, Jackson ran for more than 100.

Last year, Northwestern's offensive line suffered from mistakes, inconsistency, poor feet movement and were generally unreliable. This year displays continuity. Last week, Wisconsin achieved 8 sacks and 11 tackles for loss against Northwestern. Jackson averaged 2.8 yards per carry. Northwestern, who is currently 109th in sack percentage allowed, has major struggles with protection.

Penn State, who is 20th in rush yards allowed per attempt and 31st in sack percentage, boasts a dominating defensive line. Curtis Cothran and Parker Cothren excel at occupying opposing blockers and causing disruption in the backfield. The two interior tackles are complemented by youthful talent at defensive end. Shareef Miller complements Ryan Buchholz's strength with his speed and length.

The leader of Penn State's defense is linebacker Jason Cabinda, with whom Penn State's defense has achieved a much stronger record and allowed much fewer points and yards than without. Second-year starters Manny Bowen and Koa Farmer accompany Cabinda. Bowen stands out because of his speed that makes him lethal in pursuit. His increased strength and adept timing in blitzes make him a dangerous pass rusher.

Northwestern will struggle to establish a rhythm offensively because of its offensive line. The Wildcats possess a talented quarterback in Clayton Thorson. But his completion % suffers from lack of protection. Thorson won't make up for the struggles of his teammates against a secondary that is 7th in yards allowed per pass attempt and is led by the highest quality and experience. Senior safety Marcus Allen is elite thanks to his explosive burst of quickness, strong frame, and length.

Northwestern's defense will confront the question of its ability to be physical.

The Wildcats' defensive line lost 3 of 4 starters and regresses from last year. For example, lowly Nevada rushed for an average of 5.5 yards per carry against them. Also, Duke ran for 233 yards against them and their leading rusher averaged 6.8 yards per carry.

The offensive line for Penn State is led by exponentially improving youth. Ryan Bates at left tackle and Connor McGovern earned All-Freshman honors by last season's end. All Big-10 right guard Brendan Mahon contributes veteran presence and lends the necessary size in order to effectively block Northwestern's two defensive tackles.

Northwestern's linebacking corps possesses some talent with Nate Hall but is forced to utilize a freshman at middle linebacker, the position which is crucial for the defense in terms of leadership and communication.

The Wildcats will focus on Penn State running back superstar Saquon Barkley. Barkley draws comparison to Steelers superstar Le'Veon Bell due to his patience and vision in attacking holes on the inside. His agility allows him to bounce outside and force defenders to miss tackles due to his elusiveness in open space. He is versatile in that he possesses breakaway speed but can also truck defenders. Northwestern lacks the defensive playmakers, leadership and ability to contain Barkley.

Trace McSorley will be able to exploit Northwestern's focus on Barkley.

Northwestern's secondary is banged-up due to the injury of three players who had been depended on to contribute significant playing time. The secondary will be extra vulnerable due to its defense's attention to Barkley. They have already showed vs Duke their struggle against dual-threat quarterbacks,

McSorley achieves a significant proportion of big passing plays. Because he consistently excels at the deep ball, he will be able to exploit the opportunities down the field that Wisconsin's quarterback missed last week. The mobile McSorley is a playmaker both inside and outside of the pocket with his vision and vertical passing. McSorley also enjoys a stacked wide receiving corps led by the skilled route-runner DaeSean Hamilton who reliably gets open and the well-sized and speedy Juwan Johnson.

The Verdict

Penn State will not look ahead to their upcoming schedule because they are heading into a bye week. They receive a boost from special teams and turnovers. Barkley is a special teams star and Northwestern ranks 110th in giveaways.

Northwestern lacks the talent and physicality to keep up with Penn State. Northwestern will also lack energy. Dating back to last season, teams that faced Wisconsin are 4-10 su the week after, the wins being against low-level competition. Nebraska, for instance, lost 62-3 to Ohio State. Then-ranked Michigan State, likewise after facing Wisconsin, was upset by Indiana.

NCAAF Pick: Penn State -14

Last edited:
Not sure what P5 team NW's OL and pass protection would matchup well against. Think that they may've faced a better D last week than they'll face this week however. Look forward to see your reasonings.

Write-up is up. Thanks so much for reading. Feel free to discuss and BOL

Reasons: Teams are worse after playing Wiscy. Trenches: NW will take another beating. Penn State run defense. NW proclivity for giveaways and Barkley special teams will nullify PSU underachievement or inconsistency on offense. NW injuries. Bye week negates lookahead angle for PSU (thanks Bar)

I wonder if it's possible to write a gramatically mistake-free article without a billion edits

I think Northwestern is the best team Penn State has faced this year. Home dog and over 2 TD's.....I'm taking points

I don't think NW has what it takes to stay competitive with Penn State and i'd say on both sides lf the ball it starts in the trenches and ends with PSU's playmakers.

NW has won the last two '14 & '15, but I think these teams are in different places right now; Penn State has certainly elevated themselves to a different level compared to any version we've seen in the last 7 years.

NW would have to morph into a much different gameplan to try and compensate for their OL deficiencies. It isn't just their OL, every component that is responsible for blitz pickup has let them down...Duke and last week. The fact that it was such a problem vs Duke and then we see that they did not address it vs Wisconsin is concerning - so hard to see them all of a sudden now figure it out. I guess they would have to just almost abandon the run and QB route progression which takes too much time and utilize quick throws everywhere until they forced Penn St to do something different. I don't know. They just seem to lack the tools. NW D will put up a good fight I think, but if the O can't sustain some drives and give the D a little hope, PSU will probably just keep getting further away. Maybe they can keep it close, but the more likely maybe is that Penn St controls the game and wins going away.

Can't play it with you though, just more of a dog guy and mostly anti-road favs of this size, but doubt I will have much if anything on NW. Don't really buy the lack of energy off of Wisconsin angle, but there are enough other angles just contained within these two teams that point towards PSU.

I definitely try to be a dog and contrarian guy. I just couldn't justify NW to myself, which I tried to do first.

Interesting line movement down to 13.5

On Northwestern. PSU has not impressed me at all on the road last two years despite their success. I got it at 14 on Sunday, I have them winning but by 10. NW will have their hands full with Barkley of course and PSU D, but I think they PSU offense is overrated as a whole and their o line is weak. Two loss team to me and if its not the Michigan/Ohio St combo that gets them this or Sparty road trips would be the loss, even Terps as it would be their super bowl.

I try not to bet public road favorites. But this just clearly made sense to me without seeming "too" easy

Well done. NW just died a slow death, certainly not able to keep up at all. NW D played pretty well...just no O.

Back