Penn State vs Michigan State thoughts

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Penn State lost this one last year. Last year, PSU played Ohio State a month later than it did this year and that loss effectively meant the end of its playoff hopes. The players called a players-only meeting, which was a very bad sign of its morale and motivation and they lost to Sparty.

This year is a way different situation. PSU's loss came a month earlier and the playoff hopes have reduced only marginally. Plus, PSU had a bye week to get over the big loss. On the flip side, all the hype about Sparty competing for the Big 10 looks out the window. The team looks dead in the water. That's why there's the chance that they're already looking ahead to the game against rival Michigan, which is on Friday. That's Sparty's Super Bowl and most important game on the schedule.

So much for intangibles...

Michigan State is a mess on offense. LJ Scott is hurting. The offensive line has been ridden with injuries and ineptitude. It sorely misses departed center Brian Allen. For all of Lewerke's mobility, Sparty ranks 69th in sack percentage. Zero run game. Four of six receivers banged up. They were desperate enough to let Darrell Stewart see action. He was totally ineffective, caught one pass for 15 yards. It's just too hard to pivot and cut with ankle issues. Penn State showed its tackling issues in the final quarter against Ohio State, but Sparty isn't showing the athleticism or schematic creativity to take advantage the way Ohio State's athletes could. Lewerke can't (only) use the injured receivers as his excuse. He's making more inaccurate passes, missing open guys, making more risky passes and overall throwing way more interceptions. Problem in general is the inability to convert red zone opportunities into touchdowns. So yeah PSU has its issues on D (missing both starting DT's, youth at linebacker, depth and competence issues in secondary) but Sparty's problems on O should at least cancel that out.

On defense, Sparty's run defense has been superb. But the secondary is a mess. From the beginning of the season, the defense has been susceptible to spread and/or up-tempo offenses. Utah State's Jordan Love shredded Sparty en route to a near-upset. Manny Wilkins put up huge numbers en route to an upset. Indiana failed, but this was very flukish. An INT in the first quarter off a tipped pass in Sparty territory. A boneheaded decision to RUN against Sparty on 4th and 1 again in Sparty territory. Ramsey also lacks the arm strength to be really effective. But he still had what was until then (after facing FIU, Ball State, and UVA) his best game of the season. Michigan State ranks 120th in opp pass yards per game!!!

Let's kind of recap that with injuries: LT Chewins still not fully healthy, LG Beedle, RG Jarvis, RT Campbell. DB Scott and his backup.

Penn State is coming off a bye and would love a huge victory of domination and it's just like James "play calling champ" Franklin to run up the score. He has the key ingredient: Trace McSorley, who shredded Sparty for 381 yards last year. He should be all the better against a Sparty minus Scott, who could defend the throw towards the sideline that McSorley can execute much better than his teammates. Rahne was built up for his OC position by Moorhead and he didn't change much from his spread, up-tempo system. Plenty of budding weapons around him, above all KJ Hamler, who will be healthy after taking a big hit vs OSU. Hamler is huge. He nearly went to Sparty so he'll be very motivated. He's also very fast. Sparty's pass coverage is very vulnerable to the big play not just because of Scott's absence, but also because of its disorganization and the way that it likes to play its safety closer to the LOS to guard against the run. Disappointing amount of drops from PSU receivers, hence Trace's lower completion percentage, gotta hope that to largely be remedied by now, but Trace is glad to depend above on Hamler and Freiermuth and hope that the other big talents step up. PSU is geared schematically and in terms of personnel to dominate Sparty.

So big problems for Sparty on O I expect to mask PSU's problems on D. A Lewerke INT can help this even more and that's not out of the question at all.
PSU can throw all over Sparty's secondary and this is where I think the big lead comes from. Plus the intangibles.

Can‘t envision taking anything but PSU -13 and TT over. Its not like NW was a one time slopfest determining my perception of Sparty

I couldn't lay 13 with PSU, not because of their moron coach of course. Games like these is where he gets a big dick and runs it up if he can as MSU has had their fun at his expense a few years back that i doubt he's over yet. And PSU needs really more than ever to impress with blowouts with a loss.

But this is where MSU could shine or keep it close. They seem to keep a lot of games close no matter who they play over the years and always more dangerous doing the hunting rather than being the hunted. Coming off a loss probably helps their cause but then again, they could just give up, they are Sparty. Further as we all know their Super Bowl is next Saturday in East Landfill, unless of course they changed the game to Friday.

I can't bet this game either way, perhaps 2H if its close at half id lay with PSU to get 7 or less. Outside of #9, I think PSU played out of their ass in the whiteout game and OSU played like complete dog crap, maybe because they just aren't that good either. Time will tell. App St may be the best team PSU played so far, seriously.

I think Franklin took some of Urban's medicine.

Also, that maybe right about run, run and run but they simply cannot run. They are even more banged up along the offensive line and do not have the players to get it done. Is Lewerke a walking turnover? Sometimes and he always has been.. but he isn't getting any help at all.

I think Franklin took some of Urban's medicine.

Also, that maybe right about run, run and run but they simply cannot run. They are even more banged up along the offensive line and do not have the players to get it done. Is Lewerke a walking turnover? Sometimes and he always has been.. but he isn't getting any help at all.

Always has been? He‘s had one full year at starter, he threw one more pick than Baker in 13 more passes. He‘s trying to do too much now

Always has been? He‘s had one full year at starter, he threw one more pick than Baker in 13 more passes. He‘s trying to do too much now

I wasn't trying to exaggerate. He just tries to force things a bit too much at times and gets in trouble. Obviously in the 2h of last year he cut down on things.

There is no reason to compare to a guy in an uptempo offense at all.

I wasn't trying to exaggerate. He just tries to force things a bit too much at times and gets in trouble. Obviously in the 2h of last year he cut down on things.

There is no reason to compare to a guy in an uptempo offense at all.

Well Baker also had the advantage of better playmakers at receiver, it‘s harder to throw picks when guys get open by a mile. Plus 30% of Lewerke‘s picks were in the Ohio State debacle where Sparty as a whole got romped

Well Baker also had the advantage of better playmakers at receiver, it‘s harder to throw picks when guys get open by a mile. Plus 30% of Lewerke‘s picks were in the Ohio State debacle where Sparty as a whole got romped
Lewerke had/has talent galore at receiver haha. Aight, night kid.

One thing to consider is how sloppy Penn State has looked in the first half against sub-par (10+ point underdogs) opponents. Do they let Sparty hang around and then come in the second half with the usual insane determination to blast the spread?

One thing I would like to see Sparty do is just not depend on its o-line as much as possible. Lots of quick passes out to the flats, get Davis and Heyward out into open space and challenge PSU's mega young linebackers and make them look like they did for much of the games against App and Illinois (I didn't watch Pitt) and 4th quarter against OSU

People talk about Penn State having something to prove. Well after Sparty got embarrassed last week so do they. So I don't think I like that angle anymore. But if Sparty can't sustain drives on O i.e. if Sparty can't overcome its lack of anybody at receiver (minus Davis) or especially o-line, then the defense will be gassed trying to contain Trace and to defend the receivers.

But really, as a PSU supporter, can the Penn State receivers (particularly those not named Hamler) stop dropping passes. Can Juwan Johnson live up at least somewhat to the hype? They're the reason why Trace's pass completion % is way down.

Trace has never been a big dink and dunk guy. The PSU pass offense likes big chunks (top 25 YPA each of last three years, even this year with low comp %). That is exactly though what Sparty's pass D guards against. 24th in opp YPC passing but 107th in opp pass completion. Sparty will be content to allow the intermediate routes as long as it can limit the deep opposing passing game. That's why Northwestern's pass attack succeeded so greatly past two years against Sparty and Indiana as I mentioned should have been able to do the same if not for some flukish occurences during the game. Both are very dink and dunk. Yes Sparty had some blown coverages, but that isn't the norm. Their top concern should be making sure Hamler doesn't do that to them deep. Justin Layne is a solid corner. Big but he has legit speed. He's the top force back there with Scott still missing

Last edited:
Honestly, no lean at this point. If you asked me to predict something now I'd say it plays out kinda like the 2016 game. Basically, I'll have PSU 2h in back of my head. Remember, Michigan State might be the worst 4th quarter team in the country.

I've got Penn State winning, but not covering. 10 point win I'm predicting and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes under.

Back