Penn State vs Michigan State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Spartans Seek Revenge in Vain vs Penn State

No. 24 Michigan State (6-2) hosts No. 7 Penn State (7-1) Saturday at noon with the goal of avenging last year's 45-12 debacle. Sparty opened as 12 point underdogs, but are now dogged by as few as 7.5 points.

Ohio State exposed Penn State's defensive weaknesses. They ran successfully behind effective run blocking. Quarterback J.T. Barrett utilized his mobility in order to dissipate Penn State's pass rushers, who did not know whether he would hand the ball off or run. In addition, he threw vertically down the field in order to stretch the defense.

Michigan State is unable to follow any aspect of the Buckeyes' recipe.

The Spartans' run blocking is preventing any of their running backs from averaging more than 4.5 yards per carry. They rely on quarterback Brian Lewerke with catastrophic betting results. When Lewerke throws 40+ passes in a game, the Spartans are 0-2 both SU and ATS.

Penn State possesses the depth and talent to eliminate the Spartans' rush attack. They rank 15th in allowing 3.3 yards per rush attempt. The defensive line excels at achieving penetration into the opponents' backfield. Shareef Miler and Shaka Toney lead the line with combined 14.5 tackles per loss.

Lewerke is mobile, but not like Barrett, who has rushed for 111 more yards and .6 more yards per carry. Lewerke has, in comparison, hardly utilized his mobility in order to achieve big gains. Lewerke also averages 1.8 yards fewer per pass attempt than Barrett, ranking him 56 spots behind Barrett in that category. Lewerke consistently misses open receivers down the field and generally struggles to drive a vertical passing game.

The combination of anemic rush attack and unimpressive mobility from Lewerke gives Penn State's defensive line little to contain. PSU can be bolder defensively thanks to Lewerke's inability to stretch them out vertically.

The strength of PSU's top-ranked defense is their senior-laden secondary. Penn State ranks 11th in allowing an average 108 passer rating. Lewerke's greatest asset will be Felton Davis Jr., who will have at least three inches on the cornerback covering him in the end zone. However, the Spartans, unable to achieve an offensive attack that is either balanced or capable of achieving big plays, won't see much of the red zone. The Spartans also struggle with turnovers. The Nittany Lions rank 7th in forcing 2.5 turnovers per game.

PSU's injury-ridden offensive line likewise struggles with protection. But unlike Michigan State, they have elite talent elsewhere to overcome those issues.

Sparty traditionally struggles against a dink-and-dunk offense. Their linebackers excel against the run, but struggle in pass coverage. Penn State's top offensive aim, to get Heisman candidate Saquon Barkley in open space, coincides with the Spartans' defensive struggle, which Northwestern's quarterback and running back tandem exposed last week, and mitigates concern over their lack of pass protection. Barkley averages 13.1 yards per reception.

The Spartans' young secondary has been untested this season and, while they focus on stopping Barkley out of the backfield, will be stretched and exploited by quarterback Trace McSorley and his deep and experienced wide receiving crew.

The Verdict

With Saquon Barkley and a stacked wide receiver corps, Penn State can achieve big plays against a defense whose linebackers struggle in pass coverage and whose young secondary is vulnerable to mistakes. Expect PSU to break away with bigger plays as Michigan State's defense fatigues because of the offense's inability to develop a run game in order to prolong drives. Lewerke also makes too many mistakes by missing open guys downfield and committing turnovers. PSU will benefit from their determination, after last week's defeat, to be more aggressive offensively and defensively. Penn State has the experience, leadership and playmakers to bounce back powerfully.

NCAAF Pick: Penn State -7

Like always bought .5 to key number

Last edited:
Key for PSU is if 52 their LT is playing. Already bad o line really got bad when he left mid 3rd quarter. Also they lost their second D lineman of year in 97 Bucholz carted off, best run defender lineman on team.

I still like PSU to cover the spread fresh off loss as they tend to have high character kids and experienced group who still have a lot to prove. Sparty off same devestating loss but not as emotional but certainly maybe more physcially draining.

PSU is something like 15-1 ats in Big 10 games last two years now, not sure its something silly. PSU D feasts on mediocre to poor offensive teams, creating turnovers etc. Even when O is not clicking with run game Barkley hits one or two big one's, you look up and all of a sudden its 31-7 like NW game. I say 34-13 something like that for PSU.

Turnovers have been a problem for Lewerke that's something to note. Against Notre Dame for instance. But too many just ridiculous decisions like in OT vs NW.

Buchholz is listed as questionable according to Donsbest, will he definitely not play?

I'd say questionable for rest of year, and very doubtful this week. Carted off did not look good at all. Huge loss in that game that people wont discuss, but not as big as Bates. Bates LT returned but had to leave game again as he couldnt go, hearing ankle. If high sprain hes out.

Msu is an average team with a good coach who got fortunate and played well at key moments. It is a matter of what PSUs emotional state is because the opponent isn't good, won't move it on psu and their secondary matches up poorly with psu wrs. Just such a bad emotional spot for lions.

Msu is an average team with a good coach who got fortunate and played well at key moments. It is a matter of what PSUs emotional state is because the opponent isn't good, won't move it on psu and their secondary matches up poorly with psu wrs. Just such a bad emotional spot for lions.

I agree, I really don't see MSU scoring a lot here. But PSU has a nice advantage in passing attack supported by the attention Sparty must devote to Barkley. Sparty also out for revenge, so emotional advantage for them. Maybe Sparty hangs on early and PSU pulls away.

Early morning hangover against a team that they remember blowing out last year.

Probably depends on the line movement I guess as to whether I go Sparty 1H or PSU FG

PSU seems like a prideful bunch. I don't see them pissing away the rest of their season because they lost a tough game.

I used to weigh the psychological stuff a lot more heavily until I realized that trying to get inside other people's heads can be a fools errand.

My personal things here are more of a hangover for PSU early on...

Noon game doesn't help...

Michigan State also could be hungover from defeat too...

If PSU covers, I feel it will be a front door 4th quarter type of thing.

PSU seems like a prideful bunch. I don't see them pissing away the rest of their season because they lost a tough game.

I used to weigh the psychological stuff a lot more heavily until I realized that trying to get inside other people's heads can be a fools errand.

I generally agree. However I feel that some classic scenarios have predictive validity

Lots of Virginia people love PSU, went to a game there a few years ago and sat by tons of Virginia people. They all loved Hackenberg of course but was shocked at the huge Virginia presence there especially with Va Tech and Virginia in state. I grew up in NY early life and PSU was a monster there back when they were independents.

Cavs, explain to me how can one like both MSU and PSU? But your title is Virginia Cavs lol
This is the trail I found from his posts..

He is from Maryland...

His brother went to PSU (hence the fan-ship of the school and Paterno)...

No idea about MSU. I thought he was trolling at first to be honest till 3-4 weeks ago.

Cavs, explain to me how can one like both MSU and PSU? But your title is Virginia Cavs lol

Brother went to PSU during the Larry Johnson Robbie Gould years

Spent first year of college at Oregon

Bachelors at UVA

Grad school at Bama

Best friend a Spartan fan. Dude absolutly left me in the dust. Strengthened my loyalty to Sparty.

Was a dedicated runner in HS and read Running with the Buffaloes (Colorado)

Favorite player ever Mark Brunell (Huskies + Jags)

I think that sums up my loyalties...

Brother went to PSU during the Larry Johnson Robbie Gould years

Spent first year of college at Oregon

Bachelors at UVA

Grad school at Bama

Best friend a Spartan fan. Dude absolutly left me in the dust. Strengthened my loyalty to Sparty.

Was a dedicated runner in HS and read Running with the Buffaloes (Colorado)

Favorite player ever Mark Brunell (Huskies + Jags)

I think that sums up my loyalties...

You mutt....

PSU's defensive weakness is the run defense. They get penetration behind the line but they also allow a number of successful plays. The problem is: can Lewerke stretch out the defense in order to allow his running game to have a chance? Can Sparty's offensive line block for the running backs well enough?

I feel like the answer is no and no.

Lewerke is missing too many deep balls, he's still clearly not comfortable throwing them, possibly his worst aspect of the game. This inability of his will allow Penn State's defense to be more aggressive, and, after last week, i'm sure they will be hungry to be more aggressive. But I don't think Lewerke is all that far removed from hitting some deep balls. He has the talent and depth at receiver. Problem also with his vision, locating the open receiver, and then hitting him down the field. An aggressive PSU defense should be able to force some turnovers..

Sparty's pass blocking has been good, but same can't be said for the run blocking. Things tend not to go well for Sparty when they rely on Lewerke to throw so many passes. In both losses he threw 50+ passes. I don't think Sparty averages more than 3 yards per carry vs PSU and this will be critical. I loved how OSU utilized Barrett's running ability by giving Barrett the option to hand off or run, but I don't think Lewerke poses the same level of threat as a runner. Lack of time of possession also leads to fatigue for the defense and then Barkley will break some big receptions or runs.

Defensively, the improvement in Sparty's d-line has been immense. I think PSU's run protection continues to have difficulties. A few big runs from Barkley are inevitable, and i'd expect a strong performance from Mcsorley. Sparty's pass coverage on Saturday was really concerning, as was their inability to contain NW's running back from the backfield, which is exactly what PSU should have done more of with the lead vs OSU and should continue to do vs Sparty...those linebackers excel in pursuit to the ball but really struggle in pass coverage. Granted NW's tying touchdown in the second quarter came with a lot of Sparty's second-stringers on defense atm. And then gassed at overtime...because the O couldn't run the ball

Last edited:
I feel like...24-10 PSU? But in order for the 'under' to happen I think MSU will need to have some success running the ball. If Lewerke is going to throw 50 passes I would probably rather bet on PSU. I think the weakest part of PSU's defense is that they do allow a decent proportion of respectable run gains and without Buchholz and maybe if Sparty's play-caller can discover some creativity and maybe Lewerke's mobility creatively maybe they can push that ypc average to 3.5. But Sparty's secondary needs to stop allowing big plays (see last year's game as well, have things changed?)

Last edited:
My personal things here are more of a hangover for PSU early on...

Noon game doesn't help...

Michigan State also could be hungover from defeat too...

It's certainly a logical thought process so I'm not knocking it. And this is just my personal experience so other people's results can be way different. I just haven't found the hit rate to be any better than 50% when trying to predict these letdown spots. And like you said it could also be a letdown spot for MSU...so then it just spirals into a paralysis by analysis kinda thing.

GT has had a lot of tough losses this year and a lot of classic letdown spots but they've shown up every week, fortunately.

I will say that bowl season is a whole different story where psychological/emotional states can be more reliably predicted.

It's certainly a logical thought process so I'm not knocking it. And this is just my personal experience so other people's results can be way different. I just haven't found the hit rate to be any better than 50% when trying to predict these letdown spots. And like you said it could also be a letdown spot for MSU...so then it just spirals into a paralysis by analysis kinda thing.

GT has had a lot of tough losses this year and a lot of classic letdown spots but they've shown up every week, fortunately.

I will say that bowl season is a whole different story where psychological/emotional states can be more reliably predicted.

It could be a spot where each team is pissed off by losing a tough game the week before...

I don't see how this is a classic letdown spot at all. I thought a classic letdown spot was the Titans upsetting the Chiefs on the road then losing to the lowly Jags instead of coasting to the playoffs.

Both teams lost, they already suffered a letdown....

I agree with Ali, I think we just need to focus on capping and not look inside players' heads because this isn't a classic scenario at all.

Good points all the way back around. Maybe since I play so many team totals and stuff I look at things a bit different too with regards to the whole 60 minutes. For instance, you could not get me to play PSU TT over full game but if they have a shoddy first half (like I believe there could) this could be a good 2h TT spot.

Oh Brian. Have you learned how to throw the deep ball.

Look at what cost PSU...good OSU run blocking, dynamicisn of Barrett to dissipate the PSU pressure who didn't know whether JT would hand off or run, especially on the shorter downs this was critical. Ability to stretch the defense with vertical passes. Lewerke can't do any of that, nor can his run blocking nor can his runningbacks. So much for OSU "exposing" PSU. Veteran secondary out there.

And Spartans' young kid secondary against PSU's vets on offense. I really like Sparty's d line and linebackin corps against the run. Bachie is a beast in that regard. But put Barkley out in space as a wide receiver (can you fucking call more of those plays amigo!!) or go deep against vulnerable Spartans who like to give up big pass plays. And the Spartans will be focused on Barkley anyways.

PSU can hit the big plays and Sparty cannot. PSU can stop the big plays and Sparty cannot.

Maybe an 'under' because we have the best part of each aspect being taken away?

But Lewerke having to pass 40 times, Sparty doesn't control top like it wants to. Game gets out of hand. Not to mention the youthful turnovers and PSU ranking 7th in turnovers.

I get hangover effect but PSU could also be mad. Won't try to play with psychology, after all Sparty is sad too after losing in triple ot.

I think a takeway from osu game was to be more aggressive and that plays in their favor against a Sparty qb who can't make them pay with the deep ball. Also another takeaway to use more Barkley as wr which is great vs Sparty linebackers in coverage.

PSU needs to go in every ML parlay and i'm thinking there's enough here to justify a cover. This team is able to score points in a hurry vs Sparty and should have plenty time to do so while shutting down LJ scott.

Thinking of joining my man Detroit on PSU

I mean ffs i love lewerke, probably even more than grayson allen. He's clutch, he's tough, he's maturing by for instance staying more often in the pocket instead of looking to scrambme. But he keeps missing open guys down the field. I don't trust him to snap out of this consistent inclination in a flash. It's weird, Bentley (ive tried to compare the two before, I am fascinated by that young qb as well) seems to do the same thing. Must be one of those things I have to play qb in order to understand.

Gotta say I still love Felton in the red zone against smaller psu secondary I just don't see many trips down there

There must be a ton of money on Sparty for the line to be chopped by almost a touchdown. Es muss ein Haufen Geld auf Sparty gesetzt worden sein, dafür dass der Vorsprung um fast ein Touchdown gesät wurde.

Public dogs are account drainers. Bates is OUT for PSU at LT. Not confirmed but Franklin said in presser Chasz Wright has to play well this week (Bates back up)

Franklin as ornery as Ive ever seen him since hes a rah rah guy. Said players only meeting on Sunday called by Barkley and QB and LB. Full of piss and vinegar perhaps this weekend if O line can be decent this could be a rout.

Any more reason why a 'players only meeting'?

Not trying to over analyze it... we just generally see those when things are not going well. When it is all said and done, they have 1 loss and it was on the road to a team that may be just slightly better. It happens.

Or is that a veteran team saying lets close this with a bang?

Dominoes need to fall a bit...

PSU routs MSU...

MSU with backs to the wall before the winnable games somehow beats OSU...

OSU stumbles in last few weeks...

PSU wins conference (or East, whatever).

Penn State's veteran wide receiving corps against a Spartans young secondary that should be left helpless while concentrating on Barkley

Penn State's talented defensive line against a weak Sparty line (outside of Allen) that will struggle to help its run game going. Sparty I believe is winless when Lewerke throws above a certain number of passes. Maybe Sparty can use some misdirections with their mobile QB to dissipate the opposing pass rushes

Felton Davis will have at least a few inches against the corner covering him in the endzone and can continue to be a viable red zone threat

Sparty is vulnerable to a physical rush attack (see ND), but PSU won't be able to deal them one.

PSU's defense has the advantage in addition to line superiority not facing a quarterback with much of an arm for going deep and with a still developing throwing mechanics while scrambling. I foresee a good amount of throw aways and small scrambles from Lewerke.

Revenge angle possibly supporting a 1H play

I don't have a problem occasionally seeing a similar course ("Ablauf") two years in a row. Did that with Colorado vs Washington. Two things I'd like to see return to last year, and I don't see why they shouldn't, is DaeSean Hamilton's 20+ yard catches and the young Sparty secondary, receiving easily their hardest test, giving up big plays.

I think i'm honestly going to bury my head in the sand if I don't hit this. Or double up on the acid. I gotta know my boys and they're playin each other

Any more reason why a 'players only meeting'?

Not trying to over analyze it... we just generally see those when things are not going well. When it is all said and done, they have 1 loss and it was on the road to a team that may be just slightly better. It happens.

Or is that a veteran team saying lets close this with a bang?

Apparently did same last year after we murdered them and it turned out well for them I'd say lol I think it has to be the way they lost, not that they lost. Players only to keep everything in perspective, control what they can control and still have serious shot at playoffs (i think if they win out they will get in somehow with a little help) The committee likes them, they sell ratings as a blue blood, and Barkley is a ratings coup. Ohio St game was huge but I think this game vs FSparty is their biggest game of year. Only o-line can stop them.

I don't have a problem occasionally seeing a similar course ("Ablauf") two years in a row. Did that with Colorado vs Washington. Two things I'd like to see return to last year, and I don't see why they shouldn't, is DaeSean Hamilton's 20+ yard catches and the young Sparty secondary, receiving easily their hardest test, giving up big plays.

More of that Trace and Dae

Back