Penn State Regular Season Win Total Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Penn State Will Take Step Back in 2018 Win Total

The Nittany Lions were not far from making the playoffs in 2017. But departed players, especially on defense, will leave too many holes for Penn State’s talented youth to fill this season.

Penn State 2018 Regular Season Win Total

NCAAF Pick: Under 9.5 Wins

2017: 11-2, 8-4-1 ATS, 7-6 O/U

Top Heisman Candidate: Trace McSorley: +1600

Odds to Win Big Ten: +750

Odds to Win National Championship: +2500

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Introducing your 2018 Football Schedule Poster! ⚪️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WeAre?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#WeAre</a> <a href="https://t.co/rqxmjH4OS6">pic.twitter.com/rqxmjH4OS6</a></p>&mdash; Penn State Football (@PennStateFball) <a href=" ">12. Juli 2018</a></blockquote>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offense

Quarterback Trace McSorley is Penn State’s leader on offense. In two years as starter, he amassed 59 touchdowns to 18 interceptions and 899 rush yards. After ranking top 10 in completion percentage and quarterback rating on passes of 20+ yards in 2016, he improved his accuracy on shorter throws and achieved a 66.5 completion percentage in 2017. He’s also a strong runner, showing his ability in the Fiesta Bowl to juke an opposing defender.

Superstar running back Saquon Barkley departs. While he was known for his Houdini-like escapes from defensive pressure, he was also often a drive-killing nuisance by trying to bounce outside to break a big gain and getting tackled for a five-yard loss. Backup Miles Sanders was the top recruit in the 2016 class. Granted with a very small sample size, he averaged over six yards per carry. He’s not as strong or fast as Barkley, but he hits the holes effectively and shows downhill running ability, pass catching, and big-play potential. In 2016, he was also the second-most prolific kick returner in school history.

PSU's top receiver in terms of yards, DaeSean Hamilton, departs. Juwan Johnson will try to take his place. He averaged 5.5 catches and 78 yards in his last four games. DeAndre Thompkins is a deep threat with more speed than Hamilton. He distinguished himself with a 70-yard touchdown against Michigan State. Top recruit Justin Shorter could make an immediate impact at wide receiver. The biggest loss is first team Big 10 tight end Mike Gesicki, who led Penn State in receptions and co-led in receiving touchdowns. He was a big and reliable target particularly on third down and in the red zone. The experienced tight ends don’t have anywhere near the same ability to fulfill Gesicki’s role, accumulating all of three career receptions for 31 yards, although freshman Zack Kuntz can become a significant pass catcher with his athletic ability.

The chemistry of PSU’s o-line was derailed by injury, particularly that of Ryan Bates, who still made Third Team Big 10. With four of five starters returning, it will show better chemistry and communication, even if injuries challenge their depth, with numerous backups able to succeed at different positions. Granted, the o-line’s quality is a matter of „it can only go up from here.“ Last season, it ranked outside the top 88 in both power success rate and stuff rate.

Ricky Rahne is the new offensive coordinator. In the Fiesta Bowl, the biggest improvement that he showed compared with his predecessor was his aggressive play-calling with the lead, which could have won Penn State the nail-biter against Ohio State.

McSorley took a big step forward last season, but defenses concentrated their attention on stopping Barkley. Four games, mostly against lower-tiered competition, compose Johnson’s resume, who didn’t catch a single touchdown. McSorley loses two key scorers, Hamilton and Gesicki, each of whom caught nine touchdowns last season. Rahne has introduced new packages to give other guys touches in situations where Gesicki would have been the target, but Gesicki’s combination of physical presence and athleticism is unmatched by Penn State’s current tight ends. PSU's offense depends significantly on two inexperienced players making a significant impact, Kuntz and Sanders. Young players need good coaches, but, although Rahne was promoted to OC, a running backs coach and wide receiver coach needed to be brought in from Florida and Army, respectively.

Since 1990, 72.4% of teams with 11.50 or lower YPP (PSU had 11.21) in the prior season finished with the same or worse record in the next season.

Defense

The defensive line boasts depth but unimpressive success at the end position, led by Shareef Miller’s 11.5 tackles for loss and 5.5 sacks in 2017. PSU ranked 69th in sack rate on standard downs, managing only four sacks combined against OSU and MSU, and consistently let opposing quarterbacks be comfortable in the pocket. PSU's two starting defensive tackles, who combined for 47 starts the past two seasons, plus another one, departed. There is little proven quality and experience in their replacements, led by Kevin Givens, who has bounced between defensive tackle and defensive end. There’s also little depth for rotation, meaning that this unit will deteriorate late in games. Another defensive end, Ryan Buchholz, may even rotate at defensive tackle.

The linebacking crew loses PSU’s leading and third-leading tacklers. At middle linebacker, Jason Cabinda was the defense’s quarterback and a highly-ranked run defender. Penn State is so desperate to replace him,that it initially moved freshman Micah Parsons, who was recruited as a defensive end, into Cabinda’s position, before repositioning him at outside linebacker. A redshirt freshman who understands the position better, Ellis Brooks, could replace him as a first-year starter. The perpetual discipline problem Manny Bowen and Koa Farmer are the team’s most experienced returning linebackers. They finished fifth and sixth respectively in tackles and must assume larger roles.

In the secondary, cornerback John Reid started in 2016 and Amani Oruwariye, despite not starting, led PSU with four interceptions. Tariq Castro-Fields was a top prospect heading into 2016 and achieved three passes defended against Michigan State. The major question lies at safety. Marcus Allen was, like Cabinda, a crucial leader. He was PSU’s fifth all-time leading tackler, distinguishing himself with his downhill momentum against the opposing rush attack. Troy Apke was also important, accruing 54 tackles in 2017. In 2018, PSU will rely on a former running back in Nick Scott and a former cornerback in Lamont Wade to replace Allen and Apke. Even assuming that PSU’s corners live up to their predecessors, they were shredded by the better quarterbacks they faced last season. Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett and Michigan State’s Brian Lewerke combined for 728 yards, six touchdowns, and one interception. Nebraska’s Tanner Lee also threw for 399 yards.

The entire middle of the field looks extremely vulnerable with two starting defensive tackles leaving questionable depth in its place, the leading tackler and emotional leader departing from the middle linebacker position, and both safeties playing on Sundays. Overall, its top four tacklers are gone.

Since 1990, 68.8% of teams that conceded a defensive YPP between 19.85-21.34 (PSU had 20.01) finished with the same or weaker record in the following year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Schedule

Penn State’s schedule seems favorable because home field is overrated. It faces Ohio State, Michigan State, and Wisconsin, but each at home. People think that home field is significant because of the noise and intimidation, but that’s recently become almost a non-issue thanks to signal calling and the competitive opportunities that today’s freshmen receive in high school. Ohio State’s then freshman quarterback Dwayne Haskins, for example, stepped into the Big House with his team down and led a comeback against Michigan’s elite defense, completing six of seven passes for 94 yards. Over the last 14 years, Louisiana Tech has performed better against expectations than Michigan at home, although the Big House can fit about 5.5 Louisiana Tech crowds. Home field can help a struggling team that needs motivation, but that’s it. Iowa, for example, is famous for bringing top teams to the brink at home.

One loss will be against Ohio State. Last season, OSU shredded Penn State for 529 yards and won despite two awful turnovers. OSU gets an upgrade at quarterback, Dwayne Haskins, who is vastly superior to his predecessor J.T. Barrett in terms of arm strength and accuracy. He’ll give his offense more options with his ability to stretch the field. Plus, he has the support of possibly the best backfield in the country—Mike Weber and JK Dobbins combined for over 2000 yards and over six yards per carry— and a more experienced receiver crew. OSU’s sack leader Nick Bosa anchors the d-line, six of the top nine linebackers return with a more experienced secondary that seems to always rank highly no matter how many members it loses. Ohio State can run over PSU’s enervated run defense, pass all over its still questionable secondary, and contain McSorley enough with its blue-chip talents and returning experience to win.

Penn State will split against Michigan State and Wisconsin. Although PSU faces them off a bye, the Spartans can exploit the same holes that OSU will. They boast an NFL-caliber running back in LJ Scott behind an offensive line returning four starters, a solidly developing quarterback in Brian Lewerke who is also dangerous with his legs, and significant returning experience on all levels of the defense. The d-line helped MSU rank second in opposing YPC, the linebackers are led by Joe Bachie, who was Second Team Big 10 as a sophomore, and the secondary boasts a First Team Big 10 safety, a Third Team corner, and depth with starting experience. Wisconsin will be tough because, although its defense—which anyhow flunked the only top test that it faced last season—is rebuilding its defensive line and secondary, it boasts strong running back play and possibly the best offensive line. So its goal, which won’t be hard to achieve, will be to run over Penn State and keep the ball out of McSorley’s hands.

Under Coach James Franklin, PSU has yet to beat Michigan State, Michigan, or Ohio State on the road, covering only one of seven. It gets Michigan off a bye. Michigan now has a competent quarterback—and any quarterback is an improvement over last season’s injury-ridden unit— 1000-yard rusher Karan Higdon, who has nice depth behind him, a more experienced receiving crew, and a successful offensive line coach from Ohio State that can only help Michigan’s blocking improve. Michigan’s o-line, led by somewhat experienced sophomore and former number one recruit Cesar Ruiz at center, will be strongest where PSU’s d-line is weak—in the middle. On defense, Michigan is stacked with two First Team Big 10 defensive ends, two All-Big 10 linebackers, and one of the most highly-ranked secondaries that returns everybody.

Additionally, Penn State faces two road tests that will be surprisingly tough. Historically, Pitt and Indiana have caused PSU to struggle in their venue—Pitt beat Penn State in 2016 and Indiana plays them close. Facing Penn State is Pittsburgh’s super bowl and Pitt will be young PSU's first Power Five opponent. PSU faces Indiana after playing Ohio State and Michigan State, so a let-down is in the works. Last season, both Indiana after halftime and Pitt had more yards in their respective game against PSU.

Turnovers are variable from year-to-year— a fumble can bounce the wrong way, a tipped pass can land in a defensive back’s hands, etc. PSU had some luck with turnovers last season—particularly against Indiana which separated the two teams early. Since 1991, teams with a positive double-digit turnover ratio finished with the same or weaker record 77% of the time next season.

Verdict

McSorley will rack up a ton of passing yards as he tries to lead his team to a third consecutive 11-win season and to become a Heisman candidate. But his two favorite touchdown targets are missing, Barkley is gone, and the offensive line must make significant strides. Anyhow, scoring is futile when the defense can’t get stops. PSU misses depth and experience at defensive tackle after two long-time starters departed. Its leader on defense departs from middle linebacker, while its sparse returning experience will face increased responsibility. PSU’s cornerbacks look good, but their inactive pass rush will make life difficult for them. The departed safeties open up more questions for PSU’s run defense. While PSU takes a step back, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan are improving significantly and can exploit PSU’s holes. Besides those three teams—and PSU needs to lose at least three games for the „under“ to hit, Wisconsin is dangerous and Pitt and Indiana on the road are both highly capable of pulling off an upset.

Apparently the next Lavar Arrington is in the works with the new recruited linebackers. Just hard for me to see freshmen making an immediate impact. I mean, just cause Michigan's young D could last year doesn't mean PSU's will as well. The recruits look impressive--on offense as well with Shorter, Kuntz, etc. --but it seems like MSU and Michigan are more than a step ahead in terms of experience and with OSU being the defense's first real test I could see OSU lighting up the scoreboard. Second game of the season at Pitt is so so dangerous and reeks of two years ago. Pitt also had a strong end to the season, even if it is PItt. And even if Indiana is Indiana, that screams let-down and history speaks for it as well. Either one of those teams is fully capable of tripping up PSU, but the article may also not depend on it at all. Haven't even mentioned Wiscy.

I've researched this a lot as its my amigos, plus i'm sick of baseball and Idk when i'll finally be able to move to everyday football. So feel free to discuss :)

DISCLAIMER: This is a well thought out and in-depth breakdown written by Cavs. I will immediately delete or personally edit anyone who wants to come in here to comment and be a fucking troll. No BS please.
So under 5.5 prediction is no Bueno scarfy?

Good job Cavs, can you get scarf into futbol? NYCFC scarf....build from the bottom

100% agree with the analysis about McSorley. I am not his biggest fan, but he’s going to be the backbone of how this team ends up this year.

Personally have a PSU McSorley over 25.5 Pass TD ticket and I think this team’s ability to stay competitive vs. the big boys and TM’s level of play/ need to make big plays go hand in hand...

Schedule is vicious in this conference with these teams beating the hell out of each other...GL Cavs. Great breakdown.

I think Indiana are better

Gift that Maryland will implode now and Rutgers will be Rutgers, Purdue game seems like a good test

100% agree with the analysis about McSorley. I am not his biggest fan, but he’s going to be the backbone of how this team ends up this year.

Personally have a PSU McSorley over 25.5 Pass TD ticket and I think this team’s ability to stay competitive vs. the big boys and TM’s level of play/ need to make big plays go hand in hand...

Schedule is vicious in this conference with these teams beating the hell out of each other...GL Cavs. Great breakdown.

Scarf, I would prefer an over on the yards because Trace loses a lot of last year‘s touchdowns—Hamilton and Gesicki. But we agree about his role in the offense. Whereas last year the weekly gameplan question centered around Saquon—how to isolate him in space, how to get him the ball despite crappy o-line—this year will be all about Trace. He‘s a dynamic quarterback and I don‘t think him being the focus of the offense will hurt him/his stats too much by any means. Like you said he‘s going to be at least a primary reason for PSU sticking with the big boys and he‘s a gamer.

I wonder if his running ability will lessen substantially without the stud RB this year. He killed some teams with timely running, and designed running at that. That works really well when you have a RB that everyone is focused on but might not be quite as good this year, particularly with the tapes from last year for these coaches to take that away. I think he is a true gamer at QB at this level, though. He would certainly be the least of my worries for this PSU team though he loses key skill players around him. PSU is a school that will generally reload defensively, so while I agree they have some key losses in personnel there, I doubt they slip up quite as much as you are predicting. The early schedule and last two games don't look that tough to me (App state will be a tougher out than Pitt) but that middle schedule is brutal as all get out and if they get through that unscathed they will be a deserving playoff contender. Probably need some of the skill guys to emerge and will need to the oline to play well for them to win the conference but they are a good club on paper in my eyes.

Here are some fair counterpoints.

In the same vein...

Gesicki‘s absence can only help the run blocking because he never blocked lol.
Cabinda‘s absence will help the pass defense because his replacement can‘t be worse there. Same deal with Allen.

But the thing about slipping vk is that they already got shredded by any good qb that they faced. Especially looked overwhelmed when trying to account for both opposing run and pass. OSU loved the playaction and it helped Barrett have the easiest time completing passes down the field. Compound this already glaring difficulty with an undoubtedly (no?) weaker run D. Granted the incoming linebackers are getting a lot of hype. Parsons, Luketa, etc. I mean its linebacker U right. I think its a lot to ask of them to stop the improved offenses that they‘ll face no matter at home. I think they‘ll be absolute studs before their junior year

Could be this year's Oklahoma except they actually play in a good conference. I could see a B1G Championship if they just win out at home or 8-4 just as easily. Guessing around 9 or 10 and be on cusp of another NY6 Bowl.

My boys get them good in AA this year though, that I will take to the bank all day.

Baker size and heart without the shenanigans. Think people getting a little crazy about what they lose though aside from Barkley the GOAT. People forget this was a team hit hard with sanctions and a lot of the players replacing former players are very highly touted recruits when the one's they are replacing may not have been as PSU was desperate to have them be on team.

If you look at losing 13 starters, sometimes that its not a bad thing. I;m not saying they arent losing some very valuable assets, I just feel the trainsition may not be as rough as many think now that they are almost to full speed with talent depth.

Barkley was clearly just incredible in space with his size he could mow you down and burst past you with speed. But in terms of an everyday between the tackles guy there‘s a lot left to be desired. How is he better than Reggie Bush? Aren‘t they rather equal in college career?

Barkley was clearly just incredible in space with his size he could mow you down and burst past you with speed. But in terms of an everyday between the tackles guy there‘s a lot left to be desired. How is he better than Reggie Bush? Aren‘t they rather equal in college career?

Reggie Bush averaged 8.7 yards per carry his junior season...I don’t think they’re in the same conversation, but that’s a separate argument. Being older, I’ve seen a lot more guys who were more mind blowing than SB, but that’s JMO.

Not trying to sidetrack your thread here.

Reggie Bush averaged 8.7 yards per carry his junior season...I don’t think they’re in the same conversation, but that’s a separate argument. Being older, I’ve seen a lot more guys who were more mind blowing than SB, but that’s JMO.

But also keep in mind how bad PSU‘s run blocking was. Stuffed behind the line one every three plays! You also can‘t compare the two o-line‘s. When Barkley was in space look at what he could do to even a Michigan defense. Again not saying Saquon is better. But comparable.

That‘s why I don‘t try to make a claim about the GOAT. I recognize i‘m much younger (not saying you‘re old lol :) ) and I realize i don‘t know what i‘m talking about there. But maybe Detroit has something in mind cause he‘s old, too lol

My point is that he didn't get the touches. If the HFC at PSU does not think he is the GOAT, then why should I? I edited the post to not derail

Woulda been sick if App won. If PSU "survives" early schedule who knows if the D doesn't gel by the time conference opponents roll around. Obviously horrible showing: often clueless, forcing Franklin to call timeouts, blown coverages, missed tackles all over the place. It was really gross. It also showed that McSorley missing some of his receivers as well. PSU clearly needs time to regroup and figure things out. Youth and inexperience all over the place, backups of guys who got shredded by Barrett, Lee, Lewerke assuming larger responsibility. I still like where this is headed

Kinda can‘t believe this thing isn‘t won yet. But alas one more loss. Need Michigan here cause idk about Wiscy then Rutgers and Maryland...

Back