Patriots vs Raiders

inZane

Loving Life on Planet Earth
Fwiw...

This game is in Mexico City which is over 7300' above sea level.

After the Broncos game on Sunday, Belichick opted to keep the team here in Colorado, and they have been training at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, which is about 6000' above sea level. Hard to become acclimated to the conditions in a week, but I have to believe it will help.

Good luck gents.

Over looks like the best bet in this one but the line has gotten away from us.

Interestingly I have heard 2 opposing views on the Pats staying at altitude. On the one hand, it seems like a good idea to try and get acclimatized to practicing in it and I would never want to second guess Belichek.

On the other hand, I've heard that runners and such that normally don't practice at altitude but have to go there for a competition, usually prefer to arrive at altitude as close to the event as possible rather than staying in it for a week beforehand. The theory there is that a week simply isn't long enough for your body to adapt and if you aren't used to it long term, staying in it for a week will just drain your energy before the event.

I'm not sure which theory I subscribe to but it'll be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference between the energy levels in this one.

I took a tour to Hill AFB, SLC Utah. I run on the regular. The altitude damn near drained me. Was weak the following day as well.

Interestingly I have heard 2 opposing views on the Pats staying at altitude. On the one hand, it seems like a good idea to try and get acclimatized to practicing in it and I would never want to second guess Belichek.

On the other hand, I've heard that runners and such that normally don't practice at altitude but have to go there for a competition, usually prefer to arrive at altitude as close to the event as possible rather than staying in it for a week beforehand. The theory there is that a week simply isn't long enough for your body to adapt and if you aren't used to it long term, staying in it for a week will just drain your energy before the event.

I'm not sure which theory I subscribe to but it'll be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference between the energy levels in this one.

That a interesting counterpoint, havnt heard that or thought of. Just assumed since hoody was doing it, it was probably a smart move.

Yeah, I know a week's not enough to become acclimated, but your post got me to looking and I found this fwiw;

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/when-to-arrive-at-elevation-when-racing-at-altitude/

Recommendations for Acclimatization
I believe the extra time at altitude, Frisco or Leadville, helped me from several perspectives. First, I felt more relaxed going into the race because I had extra time to get organized. Second, I simply felt better on race day than I did after only 20 hours of exposure. Finally, my resting heart rate and heart-rate performances on race day show a positive response.

If you have an important race at altitude, a few extra days at that elevation might give you a performance edge. Ultimately, you will need to see how your body responds. But for those who can afford it, the extra costs associated with time away from work and an extra night or two in a hotel might be worth it. Aim for at least 45 hours prior to race start, and a few days more than that might be better for you.

That is interesting in terms of the acclimation. One thing my mind immediately went to as well was the air quality in the area. The air quality is so poor I would think you would want to get acclimated because it could be a shock to the body with the altitude and air pollution all at once.

I thought I read that 48 hours was best, that article kind of says the same with it being a few days prioritize event

I hadn't heard that tiring part after what will be their 8th day at it, will be interesting to watch

Whether it actually works on the body or not is open to further study.

I'm sure Belichick will have it pumped into these guy's minds, between the altitude and the clarity of the air here, that it will make them much better acclimated going in.

As if they need the push...

when the body is at altitude the quantity of O2 is depleted....the body then begins to generate additional corpusles in the blood to compensate for the lack of O2 being transported to the muscles.....therefore it stands to reason that if you are at altitude the longer you are there prior to game time the more energy you will be able to transport to your muscles come game time....my personal experience with altitude and athletic performance is that i have not noticed a big difference in a weeks time but i did notice an increase in energy after being at altitude for 3 weeks (skiing) and when i retuned to sea level after 3 weeks i could run for an hour or so relatively effortlessly.....lasted about 2-3 weeks before i retuned to my normal slow plodding self

I must qualify that i have never read anything that supports my argument above....just going from what little i know...

i am also not sure of this but i believe that this will affect the defenses more so than the offenses

i wonder if those masks make it as big a difference as it used to be, since players I am sure use those all the time, especially week prior to games v Denver

also an interval type sport like football would be less a factor than Soccer, where games in Bolivia for example come out with insane results where that's more of a marathon level type thing

Back