Panthers cut Keyshawn...

JumpOnBoard

CTG Partner
Guess they weren't as impressed w/ his draft coverage...

Johnson cut a month after being paid $3M bonus

<!-- mojo //--><!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->ESPN.com news services

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top>
Veteran wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson was released by the Carolina Panthers on Tuesday, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

"They said they wanted to get younger," Johnson told the newspaper. "That's fine with me. I'd like to go somewhere and help someone win another Super Bowl."

The move came a month after the Panthers paid Johnson a $3 million roster bonus, and three days after they selected another former Southern California receiver in the second round of the draft.

It was thought Johnson would help groom Dwayne Jarrett of USC, taken in the second round with the 45th pick. But apparently Johnson was deemed expendable -- he and Jarrett are both 6-foot-4 possession receivers.

The Panthers signed the former No. 1 overall pick last year after he was released by Dallas Cowboys in a salary cap move so the Cowboys could sign Terrell Owens.

While Johnson spent last weekend working for ESPN as part of the network's NFL draft coverage, he told the newspaper he would like to continue his playing career.

Johnson, 34, has 814 receptions for 10,571 yards and 64 touchdowns over an 11-year career. In 2006 he caught 70 passes for 815 yards and four TDs.

When Carolina selected Jarrett, Johnson remarked he was "much like me" for his size and good hands.

--The Associated Press contributed

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Wow. Not the best business move.

I wonder where MeShawn will end up.

Did Dallas pay TO his roster bonus yet?

Man, I'm an Eagle fan and even I didn't think about that.

Maybe. I mean mayyyyyyyyyybe. I don't know, though. This staff is hell bent on being comfortable with this receiving corps.

They just are.

I was impressed with how well he did at the draft coverage on ESPN. I think he did a good job. Whoever lands him will do well. How about Oakland?

He's pretty decent on TV. It's funny, becuase he actually comes off somewhat humble at times--which is such a welcome change from Deion or Irvin who seem to think if they ham it up it makes them more interesting or intelligent.

I could see him in Oakland, KC, Houston, even Denver--pretty much anywhere you've got a younger QB who needs a security blanket. He's a possession guy and he's generally reliable.

And wait, the Panthers cut him why?

Because Jarrett is going to take his place?

Well, maybe so, but if you paid him the roster bonus already, wouldn't you wait to see if he gets beat out in camp? Furthermore, then wouldn't you try to trade him since he's under contract?

Ny Giants

He might actually be a good pickup for them, but I highly doubt they go after him. I think they, too, like where they are receivers-wise.

Don't shoot the messenger, I just think that's where they are.

The Giants were considering him BEFORE he signed with Carolina anyway. He could play the Amani Toomer role for the blue New York team...

- He busts on Dwayne Jarret before the Rose Bowl " he's too slow, He should stay in school, He's not a #1, He's going to be a bust"
- Jarret lights up Leon Hall in the rose Bowl to the tune of 200 yards
- Keyshaun announces the draft
- Keyshaun starts to bask pedal on Jarret some at the draft, but maintains that he should have stayed in school
- Keyshaun is real "happy" when the Panthers bring in Jarret, he could help " bring him along etc." Johnson does a complete 180 and looks foolish.
- The panthers draft ANOTHER receiver
- The Panters cut Meshaun.

Priceless.

CG is right when he says MeShawn is good at getting teams to pay him to go away.

Though you know what, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chucky down in TB give him one last go 'round.

CG is right when he says MeShawn is good at getting teams to pay him to go away.

Though you know what, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chucky down in TB give him one last go 'round.

He got TO-ed before TO was TO-ed. They were the first team I can think of that just said " your done", just stop.... no more playing, no more locker room, no more nothing. and good riddance.

There is not shot in hell they bring him back. I'd lay HUGE chalk that he's never playing in Tampa again...

There is not shot in hell they bring him back. I'd lay HUGE chalk that he's never playing in Tampa again...

I'd have thought that too, CG, and I may be wrong, but I believe after Dallas let him go last year I thought I saw him interviewed and saw him say that he regretted the way things went down in TB and that he'd give it another shot.

I may have misheard it, and it's fuzzy in my mind so don't quote me on it. But I thought I saw it.

Is it somewhat of a long-shot, absolutely, because I don't remember ever seeing Gruden comment on the situation and he may still hate the guy. But I feel like Key man-ed up and apologized. And, honestly, they might be able to use him.

But Chucky does seem like someone who'd hold a grudge.

Back