PaintCrew Week 8 YTD: 48-42 +8.975

PaintCrew

Has Nicer Hair Than Matt Haarms
Can't believe it's week 8....

It's Wisconsin week....there has been a Wisky reign of terror on Purdue in this sport for way too damn long. For those that don't know it started with an ill-timed uncoordinated flip-flumble by the neck beard (Kyle Orton) himself in 2004 with gameday in town for a top 5 undefeated team against Wiksy that turned a game clinching QB run into a 15 year plus curse.......

Purdue is pretty beat up overall and in a lot of ways you can feel Brohm just trying to get to the break but there's been some injury positives as well along with some unforeseen positives like the walk-on RB (Mockabee) being one of the best RBs in the last 10+ years for Purdue along with Doerue now being ready to go this week.

15 straight disappointments in this mess of a game is one folks should know and understand before getting fired up to see Purdue at +money this week. However on the other side there's a million reasons to think "If not this year then when?"

A million other thoughts to come.....

Heard some noise before Chryst was let go that some players weren't thrilled with current HC Leonard and either transferred or never signed etc. Kinda shocked to hear this so take it fwiw. Fear is the program going into a deep decline. Had more faith in Barry the AD compared to McIntosh...would like to see UW make a hard run at Leipold.The wall we have around the state that houses OL has fractures that are turning into cracks....its the foundation of the program and needs to be addressed asap. As for the 15-0 record...the vast majority had Bucky as the better team and that doesn't appear to be the case in this one. Mackey arena is a house of horrors for the UW hoops team and they somehow flipped the script...Boilers or punt here..pre flop...you waiting for a 3?

2* Kansas TT O23.5
1.5* Purdue +2.5
1.5* San Diego St -7
1.5* Iowa TT U10
1.5* UCLA TT O31.5
1* KState +3.5
1* Rutgers -3
1* Indiana U22.5

Haven't had the time I was hoping to get more thoughts down on Wisky/Purdue and not in a million years did I think before the season that I'd touch Purdue as a short dog to Wisky in this one but here we are.

I don't feel great about it as my heart says Purdue probably finds a way to give this away but when I look at everything on paper there are some keys to me being some weakness in the back 7 by Wisky, a reliable and capable top 6 OL from Purdue, a RB Mockabee who I "think" should be able to get to the edges with a small bit of success (or at least enough success to keep the Wisky front honest and help O'Connell in protection) after watching the condensed full game against Sparty twice (yes twice...as I didn't really believe what I watched the first time). I realize Wisky is getting a couple pieces back on both sides of the ball but theres still more weaknesses (I think mostly LB and maybe 1 weak link at DB) than what Purdue normally sees.

The other obvious key is Purdue's run defense and the vast amount of depth they have on the D'Line (they rotated 11 last week). Do they get to the QB? Honestly not that often and Mertz will have opportunities but Ron English has made it a point to take away the run game this year and they've been able to do that week after week (albeit I wouldn't say they've faced Wisky's O'Line and Allen at RB caliber). I feel optimistic about Purdue forcing Mertz and that passing game to beat them (and I"m not sure if they have fire power to do so and contrary to most years I think this front of Purdue's is built not to wear down in the 2H (see 2021 in particular's box score of 1H vs 2H) which is when previous Wisky teams really took advantage (at least in the years of competitive rosters).

Purdue's a stupid team but they've also been great on the road in conference (won 5 of 6 going back to last year) and won't be fazed by any environments as O'Connell has obviously seen it all and then some.

I may grab a bit more if it gets to 3 and will probably wrap the ML with UCLA and maybe something else in a RR.

Good luck this week and i'll have some more adds (probably adding more to Kansas TT including 1H until I'm proven otherwise).

Last edited:
2* Kansas TT O23.5
1.5* Purdue +2.5

1.5* San Diego St -7
1.5* Iowa TT U10
1.5* UCLA TT O31.5
1* KState +3.5

1* Rutgers -3
1* Indiana U22.5

A bit of a kick in the pants type of saturday. Between TT's pushing (looking at you Iowa) or being a half point short do to failed 2pt attempts and Wisky/Purdue being just about same ol' Wisky/Purdue or multiple QB injuries to KState leading to an 18 pt blown lead (and cover)....a day to forget and one better spent reviewing footage/notes from hoops scrimmages

Onward

3-4-1 -3.1

YTD 51-46 +5.875

Back