Padres vs Giants Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Snoozer Between Padres and Giants Worth Bettors' Attention to First Five 'Under'

The Padres host the Giants at 4:10 ET to conclude a four-game series. Two rising pitching stars and a few other key betting circumstances will ensure a low-scoring first five innings.

San Francisco Giants at San Diego Padres

Free MLB Pick: First Five 'Under'

Bettors need to know San Diego's rookie starter Joey Lucchesi (1-0 1.72 ERA). He has proven to be a reliable betting option because the first five 'under' has hit in two of his three starts. The one game in which the FF 'under' did not hit was in his first ever game in which he had some bad luck. His 2.62 FIP and .333 opposing BABIP in his season opener shows that his opponent was very fortunate with the balls which their bats put into play and he actually pitched very well. Lucchesi has been consistent to the point where he is pitching well in one of the most hitter-friendly ballparks in Colorado's. In his last two games he has achieved 15 strikeouts. He has shown good command, throwing a first-pitch strike 66% of the time and walking four batters on the season.

Watching videos of Lucchesi pitching is fascinating because his delivery involves two seemingly opposed steps even though it is effective. On the one hand, he drops low to the ground. Then, he releases his pitch with an elevated overhand. His unique delivery presents an additional challenge to hitters who see him for the first time and this contributes to his initial success.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lucchesi is additionally problematic for the Giants as a left-handed pitcher. Looking at the Giants' numbers against left-handed starters is unfair since they have faced Clayton Kershaw twice. But we see the same struggles against left-handed pitchers overall, against which their team BA is a paltry .228. Three of the Giants' top four hitters (based on batting average) are left-handed hitters. Two of them, Joe Panik and Brandon Belt, are hitting over .100 BA points lower against southpaws than against right-handed pitchers.

Tyler Beede (0-0 4.50 ERA) counters for San Fran. Beede is also a rookie who has underwent his baptism of fire, giving up two runs in a nervous first inning against Arizona before shutting them out the rest of his four-inning outing. Beede is the opposite of Lucchesi in that he relies more on the arsenal of his pitches than his command. His biggest pitch is a fastball, whose velocity he can easily elevate. This makes him a good match-up against the Padres in two important senses: the Padres rank 28th in team BA (.201) against the fastball. Secondly, their BA is .201 against pitchers who mix some power into their arsenal, as Beede does. His changeup is his second-most important pitch. It enhances the perceived velocity of his fastball by creating a change of pace with an approximate average of 10 mph lower velocity. Against Arizona, his change had a 10% whiff rate and was not contacted for a single hit.

Beede is a flyball pitcher. Against the Diamondbacks, he induced ground balls at a very low 36% rate and his pitches are generally designed to induce fly balls. The Padres are at their worst against flyball pitchers, with a .147 BA so far against them. They won't just wake up at 1:10 local playing time to hit this flyball pitcher either as they continue to hit very poorly in daytime games. Last year, their BA was .217 during the day while this year it is .164. An additional match-up advantage stems from being a right-handed pitcher. Against righties, the Padres are hitting .214. "Young Beedah" is as cool on the mound as he is as a rapper and his stuff and match-up advantages makes him trustworthy vs San Diego.

I have an early deadline for Sunday games so I have to cap and scout everything now. I limit risk by sticking to first five (since I have no idea how much each team's bullpen will get used today). Obviously can't account for value but I can also guesstimate what line and total will come out. I think we see a low-scoring first five and that's what I will bet on!

Very when it comes to some things, I sound really white too (no wigger in this guy!), I am after all indeed white! Lol.

Same! I am the whitest guy you could imagine! All my friends have the whitest names. We are all so white!

Lmao um thanks I think???

Lol well the way you write. It sounds like how black people speak

Wasn't meant as good or bad, just what it is. Lol.,

I'm a little street for sure, def some Ebonics in my vocab, prob from being a city kid I guess? I know I sound white when speaking tho, the brotha's give me endless shit about it, lol.

Wasn't meant as good or bad, just what it is. Lol.,

I'm a little street for sure, def some Ebonics in my vocab, prob from being a city kid I guess? I know I sound white when speaking tho, the brotha's give me endless shit about it, lol.

I’ve always wondered if I could be friends with someone who isn‘t a suburb kid. Figured that they‘d think me a real wuss lol

Beede was San Francisco's first-round pick (14th overall) in the 2014 draft out of Vanderbilt University. Lucchesi was the Padres' fourth-round pick in the 2016 draft out of Southeast Missouri State.
Before the season, Beede was ranked the No. 4 prospect in the Giants farm system by the MLB Pipeline. Lucchesi was ranked the No. 9 prospect in the Padres system.
Lucchesi advanced quickly through the Padres system while Beede made every stop but one while climbing the ladder.
Lucchesi split the 2017 season between Advanced Single-A Lake Elsinore and Double-A San Antonio and was scheduled to start the 2018 season with Triple-A El Paso before he received the last-minute promotion straight to the majors.
He was the Padres Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2017, going a combined 11-7 with a 2.20 ERA between his two stops with a combined .200 batting average against. He had 148 strikeouts (against 33 walks) in 139 innings.
Over his two most recent appearances, Lucchesi gave up two unearned runs and five hits and four walks with 15 strikeouts in 11 innings. In his first start at Coors Field in Denver, Lucchesi allowed one hit and three walks with seven strikeouts over five scoreless innings.
Beede was scheduled to open the 2018 season with at least one start in Triple A while the Giants were awaiting the need for a fifth starter, but instead pitched one-hit ball over five innings for Class-A San Jose due to inclement weather facing Triple-A Sacramento in the Pacific Northwest.
He pitched four innings, allowing two runs on three hits and five walks in his major league debut Tuesday against the Diamondbacks.

I’ve always wondered if I could be friends with someone who isn‘t a suburb kid. Figured that they‘d think me a real wuss lol

I've found I can be friends w all kinds of ppl from all walks of life. Good peeps come from all kinds of backgrounds as do shitty ppl.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, my hours been crazy this week, 1st time I've logged on since Sunday.

Back