Padres vs Dodgers Preview Article (Sunday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pitching change! See below for rewrite!

Los Padres Look Muy Bien Against los Doyers in Monterrey

San Diego wraps up a three-game „home“ series with the Dodgers in Monterrey, Mexico. The game is at 4 ET and can be viewed on ESPN. The Padres are worth investing in against the overpriced Dodgers.

Los Angeles Dodgers at San Diego Padres

MLB Pick: San Diego

These two teams are playing in Monterrey, Mexico, which is an eight-hour drive from Houston. The altitude here is about 1,000 meters higher than in San Diego, so don’t be shocked if the game total is higher than expected.

You might think me crazy for wanting to invest in the worst team in baseball. But remember that baseball is not like football. In baseball, even the worst team wins dozens of games. What makes the worst team an enticing betting option is that bettors will get it at a huge ‚plus‘ value and can therefore strike a handsome profit by picking the right time to back it. Depending on the odds, bet San Diego on the ML or on the RL (+1 1/2).

Speaking of overpriced, LA starter Rich Hill (1-1, 6.00 ERA) has consistently been fade-worthy. If you have backed him in all three of his starts, then you are down 194 dollars because LA has lost as -170 and -124 chalk with him as the starter. The aging Dodger has been a shell of his former self. He has given up 10 runs in his past two starts despite having the advantage of 6+ days’ rest before his last one, in which case he had been at his best in the brighter stages of his career. Hill now heads into his worst-career month in terms of FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck).

Hill is striking out fewer batters, walking more, and allowing more home runs. Overall, the rate of hard contact which he is allowing is up 19% from his career average. He has two primary pitches, the fastball and the curve. His curve is being slugged at the highest rate which it has experienced since 2013. Consequently, Hill is falling back on his fastball more frequently. When is curve is ineffective, hitters don’t have to worry about it, but can instead sit on his fastball. Batters are achieving a .632 slugging percentage against his fastball, which he is throwing 59% of the time.

The key match-up factor is that Hill is left-handed. San Diego’s OPS (on-base plus slugging; average is .720) is .35 higher against left-handed starters than right-handed starters and .43 higher against southpaws than right-handed pitchers overall. Although one typically doesn’t associate offensive prowess with San Diego, the lineup is primed to do well today. The Padres rank seventh in slugging against the fastball, Hill’s pitch, thrown by southpaws at an average max of 90mph, which is Hill’s average fastball velocity. Look out for Jose Pirela, whose OPS is .762 against lefties.

Eric Lauer (0-1, 10.13 ERA) counters for San Diego. Lauer’s first career start was in the venue which is hardest for starting pitchers, Coors Field, and his ERA reflects it. Monterrey’s altitude is about 3500 feet lower than that of Denver and will suit Lauer more, who looked much better in his second start in San Francisco, yielding a 1.57 FIP. Lauer will not struggle any more than Hill, who is also a fly ball pitcher, in this altitude.

The reason that the Padres’ lineup has an advantage today is because the Dodgers, contrary to the Padres, continue to struggle against left-handed pitchers, which is why Lauer matches up well against them. LA’s OPS is .85 lower against left-handed starters and .57 lower against left-handed pitchers overall.

The Padres’ bullpen offers another advantage with an FIP 1.03 lower than that of the Dodgers and it will secure the upset.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Lauer will be making his third Major League start Sunday while facing the Dodgers for the first time. He is 0-1 with a 10.13 ERA in his first two starts. He has allowed 10 runs (nine earned) on 13 hits and six walks with 10 strikeouts in eight innings.
However, he finished his most recent start against the Giants in San Francisco with four straight scoreless innings after giving up three runs in the first.
Lauer, 22, was the third of the Padres three first-round picks (25th overall) in the 2016 draft out of Kent State University where he was named college baseball's Pitcher of the Year off a 10-2 record and 0.69 ERA.
Lauer advanced from rookie ball to Single-A Fort Wayne in his first professional summer and split the 2017 season almost evenly between Advanced Single-A Lake Elsinore and Double-A San Antonio, going a combined 6-8 with a 3.30 ERA in 22 games (21 starts). He was 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA in three starts for Triple-A El Paso this April before being promoted to the Padres.
Stripling is 0-1 with a 2.33 ERA in 12 appearances this season. He made his only start on April 30 at Arizona Stripling allowed four runs and eight hits in four innings.
Stripling is 1-3 with a 5.06 ERA in seven career appearances against the Padres.

I'm not totally convinced pads the worst team in baseball. O's, reds, and marlins all beg to differ! For my money it Balty who been costing me way more than those other clubs, they suck something serious!! Lol

Didn't really like this card much, not that many dogs w a whole lot of appeal. Pirates looked like most solid of the bunch and all I've played. Wanna plays O's but pretty sick of them beating me in a multitude of ways!! Gl buddy.

The First Five ‚Over‘ Looks Muy Bien Between Padres and Dodgers in Mexico

San Diego wraps up a three-game „home“ series with the Dodgers in Monterrey, Mexico. The game is at 4 ET and can be viewed on ESPN. Both lineups are prepared to score lots of early runs.

Los Angeles Dodgers at San Diego Padres

MLB Pick: First Five ‚Over'

After a late scratch in the starting pitching, a different play offers much more promise.

Ross Stripling (0-1, 2.33 ERA) starts for Los Angeles. Stripling was announced as the starter this morning, taking the place of Rich Hill. He is a reliever but he does have some experience as a starter. Compared to 83 appearances, he has 17 career starts. The Dodgers are taking an emergency measure today—meaning that Stripling is being asked to start out of necessity. When a reliever is asked to start and pitch more innings, then he has to take away some quality away from his stuff so that he can last for more innings. For example, he started once this season in Arizona. The velocity of his fastball, change-up and slider dropped 2-3 mph from his last appearance against San Francisco. His pitches also showed less movement. For instance, his slider „slid“ less.

Stripling gave up four runs, two home runs, in those four innings in Arizona. Conversely, in five relief appearances against Arizona, he’s allowed only one run in 6.1 innings. In his career, his FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) is 4.18 as a starter, compared to 3.49 as a reliever. As a starter, his FIP going against the opposing lineup for a second time in a game is nearly 2.00 higher than the first time. So even though his career numbers against San Diego are positive, bettors should throw them out. The sample size is tiny. Plus, the Arizona example shows that there’s no strong correlation between a pitcher’s performance as a reliever and as a starter even against the same team. The Padres will hit him hard before five innings are over.

Eric Lauer (0-1, 10.13 ERA) counters for San Diego. Lauer’s first career start was in the venue which is hardest for starting pitchers, Coors Field, and his ERA reflects it. Monterrey’s altitude is not as high as in Colorado’s Coors Field, but it is about 1000 feet higher than in his home ballpark in San Diego. High altitude is problematic for him as a fly ball pitcher—he’s inducing fly balls at a 4% higher rate than ground balls. Altitude contains less air density, meaning that the climate is exerting less physical resistance with which to deter fly balls from becoming home runs.

While it is true that the Dodgers are struggling against left-handed pitchers, this is only primarily true against southpaws’ softer stuff. Against fastballs from left-handed pitchers, the Dodgers are third in slugging. For example, one lefty that they dominated was Lauer’s teammate, Robbie Erlin. Erlin threw his fastball 28% of the time and the Dodgers achieved a 1.200 slugging rate against it. Lauer throws his four-seam fastball 64% of the time, making him a bad match-up for LA.

The Padres’ bullpen is one of the MLB’s strongest per FIP, so i’m sticking to a ‚First Five‘ play

I agree completely bank. Balty is the worst. Time to start over. No dogs for me today either:(

Just the way they seemingly invent a new way to lose everyday is ridiculous! I recall digging deep into Cobb's season before his last start (I've always liked him and was trying to determine if the terrible start was flukish or there was more to it), came away expecting him to right the ship and he did just that giving us a strong effort, and it came off the heels of a week where O's offense had began showing some life so fully expected if Cobb was solid it was a great price to back them vs a not very good halo pitcher! So of course the offense gives him nothing for 8 innings, then just to kick me in the nuts a little more they tie it up in 9th just so reliever can come in bottom of 9th and never get a stinking out!! Just when ya think that is rock bottom yesterday happens where they manage to lose a game that gausman gave them 9 shutout innings! Once again facing off w a below average starter on other team!! Has to be one of most oddball teams I can recall in recent memory!! Just unreal they this bad, on paper they don't look like the worst team In baseball, when they take the field it a different story. Always been a fan of Buck but might be time for a change, gotta do something to shake things up at this point imo..

Far as today's card as I mentioned pirates were only play I came up with. I really wanted to fade archer again (dude seems perpetually overpriced) but estrada's numbers vs tampons were shockingly horrific to point I had to pass (of course he pitching incredible now! Lol). Leaned Balty but just can't keep losing on those scrubs!! Was considering Cubs but lost the plus money so unless that line bounces back doubt I touch, maybe there a play to be made on total?? Gl today brotha!!

Last edited:
Last few days I keep ending up with plays that turns out everyone else likes them too and they lose! Grr!

Shit that id never bet on if I could see ticket percentage before I submit! Whatever tough part of article deadlines, I gotta be sharp to not need to see sportsinsights tix %

Back