Pacers vs. Clippers Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Pacers vs.Clippers: NBA Picks and Predictions

Indiana Pacers vs. Los Angeles Clippers
Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 10 p.m. ET at STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, California

Indiana’s Win Streak

Indiana has undergone some turnover in its roster and, stemming from that turnover, what you might consider adversity.

As part of the huge blockbuster deal that sent James Harden to Brooklyn, guard Victor Oladipo got his wish and left Indiana.

In return for Oladipo, the Pacers received Caris LeVert. LeVert, though, has not managed to play a single game for the Pacers. He has been ruled out indefinitely after a small mass was located on his kidney. Hopefully it is benign.

Despite losing Oladipo and then LeVert, the Pacers are enjoying a two-game win streak.

Perhaps beating the Warriors isn’t that impressive. But holding a Warrior team that averages 111 points to 95 is impressive.

For the first time since George W. Bush was President, the Pacers defeated Portland and they did so convincingly. 111-87 was the final score, although the game took place in Portland.

So a few observations emerge from this win streak:

One, Indiana is a well-coached, mature, and deep squad.

Two, the Pacers are playing excellent defense.

Myles Turner

Center Myles Turner has entered into the running to be named Defensive Player of the Year.

He is anchoring the Pacer defense with superb rim protection.

Turner has a combined total of 10 blocks in his past two games.

With 4.2 blocks per game on the season, Turner easily leads the league in blocks per game.

For comparison’s sake, he has 1.4 more blocks per game than the man who is second-place in the category. Second-place is Rudy Gobert, who has won the Defensive Player of the Year award twice.

Pacer Guards: Next Man Up

The rim protection offered by Turner allows Pacer guards and perimeter defenders to play their man more aggressively.

They can play more aggressive defense because they can feel confident that Turner will clean up any messes that their more aggressive defense might help create.

During Indiana’s two-game win streak, the “rally angle” has come into play on the defensive end. By "rally angle,” I mean the expectation that bettors may have that when important players are unable to play their teammates step up.

So one player who is stepping up for the Pacers is guard Edmond Sumner. After entering in only three games, he’s accrued an average of 25.5 minutes during Indiana’s two-game win streak.

His effort against the Warriors was telling. Sumner was assigned to Steph Curry, whom he successfully blanketed. Curry finished the evening with a stat line well below his averages in two-point percentage, three-point percentage, and point total.

Brogdon and Holiday

On the defensive end, Malcolm Brogdon and Justin Holiday are better-known quantities. They are guys who won awards for their defense in college and who continue in the NBA to play at a high-level on defense.

Brogdon has ranked highly in metrics like defensive win shares that measure defensive quality. He ranks sixth in the NBA in steals per game and contributes to his team’s overall defense with heavy minutes.

Holiday is known for being a consistent, good on-ball defender who is particularly effective along the perimeter. HIs defense provided the main reasoning for his recent contract extension.

Pacers Defense vs. Clippers Offense

Despite being listed as a guard, Brogdon has displayed his versatility by effectively guarding different positions.

He’s been tasked many times in his career, like when he played for Milwaukee, with guarding current Clipper small forward Kawhi Leonard because Brogdon has been the most successful doing so.

Leonard and guard Paul George easily lead L.A.’s offense as both players average more than 13 points per game than any of their teammates.

With Brogdon and its overall defensive quality and depth particularly at the guard positions, Indiana matches up well with the Clipper offense.

After all, the Pacers just showed through their effort in Portland that they can lock down backcourt-centered offenses.

Clippers Defense vs. Pacer Offense

The Clippers, too, have played strong defensively. After missing a host of guys earlier in the year, they are healthier and developing chemistry.

Most recently, they limited the Pelicans to just over 100 points and they kept Sacramento to 100 points.

Leonard is key to L.A.’s defense. He ranks just ahead of Brogdon in steals per game. He has made the All-Defensive Team six times and has been named Defensive Player of the Year twice.

With his on-ball defense and perimeter prowess, he will guard the opponent’s best player.

Without Warren or Oladipo/LeVert, the Pacer offense is being carried by just two players, one of whom is team scoring leader Brogdon.

While Kawhi smothers Brogdon, Indiana’s offensive ceiling becomes that much lower tonight.

The Verdict

Without Oladipo/LeVert, Indiana’s offensive ceiling is low. The Clipper defense is anyhow in great position with Leonard available and with its recent run of success.

Indiana will be carried by its defense which has the quality in the backcourt to stymy backcourt-centered offenses like L.A.’s.

Best Bet: Under 222.5 at -105 with BetOnline

Alright my bad i‘ve posted this thing three times now lol this one has the right use of bold

I obviously didn't mean to. I got distracted and thought I was editing the second one. My bad, mods.

Last edited:
Back