Pacers/Celtics, Bulls/Suns, Hornets/Warriors Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
NBA Parlay Picks of the Day

Indiana Pacers vs. Boston Celtics
Friday, February 26, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. ET (ESPN) at TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts

Pacer Offense vs. Celtic Defense

A tremendous part of Indiana’s offense is attacking the basket.

Key here is Domantas Sabonis, who plays well above his size and is known as a physical type of player.

Though known as a three-point shooter throughout his career, Doug McDermott is using his length more often to finish over defenders. He’s converting 65.5 percent of his attempts within five feet of the basket.

Malcolm Brogdon is someone who can create for himself off the dribble. He, too, likes to attack the basket.

Overall, no team attempts more field goals per game within five feet of the basket than Indiana and it’s not even close.

Defensively, few teams struggle to protect the rim more than Boston.

Center Daniel Theis is relatively mobile for a center.

But at 6’8, 245 pounds, he’s rather undersized for the position.

I get that Sabonis isn’t the biggest center in the world, either.

Playing style is key here, though. Theis is a small-ball kind of center who is comfortable out in space.

Sabonis is averaging 21.5 points per game largely because of how he uses his physicality inside.

With Theis and other rim-protectng liabilities, the Celtics rank sixth-worst in limiting field goal percentage within five feet of the basket where they will struggle against the bully Sabonis and his teammates.

Celtic Offense vs. Pacer Defense

For its offense, Boston relies heavily on pick-and-roll actions for the ball-handler.

On defense, however, Indiana typically performs strongly against teams who are reliant on this play type.

Most recently, the Pacers held a Utah team that runs this type of play with the second-most frequency to 103 points.

Overall, they rank eight-best in limiting PPP (points per possession) on this play type.

A big part of the credit for Indiana’s ball-screen defense goes to Brogdon, who is more physical and can fight through ball-screens.

Boston’s Rut

Note that the Celtics are struggling to find any sort of success at the moment.

They are suffering 0-3 SU and ATS runs. Their last three straight-up losses came as the favored team.

Phoenix Suns vs. Chicago Bulls
Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8 p.m. ET at United Center in Chicago, Illinois

The Return of Wendell Carter Jr.

The reintroduction of center Wendell Carter Jr. into Chicago’s lineup has made a tremendous difference for the Bull defense.

One might ask: isn’t Carter Jr. not the biggest center out there and didn’t i just criticize Theis’ defense as a result of his physical limitations?

But i’ll make the same point: it’s about playing bigger than you are. Carter Jr. does just that with his 7’5 wingspan.

He also uses his IQ to deter a lot of shots at the basket.

Since February 15, his first day back on the job, Chicago ranks seventh-best at limiting opposing field goal efficiency within five feet of the basket. Carter Jr. is a big reason why.

Phoenix Offense vs. Bull Defense

One of Phoenix’s most reliable sources of offense has been its efficiency within five feet of the basket.

Offensively, Phoenix is in trouble against a Bull defense that is equipped to take away what the Suns do best.

Carter Jr. is already well-tested as Chicago’s defensive anchor.

Lately, for example, he helped limit Domantas Sabonis to arguably his worst outing of the year based on field goal percentage and number of turnovers.

Recently, the Suns have been more reliant on attempting shots further away from the basket.

But Carter Jr. is important here, too, albeit indirectly.

His presence gives Bull defenders the confidence to guard more aggressively away from the basket.

By guarding aggressively, they do a great job of limiting the frequency with which opposing shooters manage to procure open or wide-open three-point attempts.

Chicago Offense vs. Phoenix Defense

This is a great spot for the Sun defense, typically one of the NBA’s best in limiting opposing scoring but coming off a poor performance.

Good defenses like the Suns — which rank fourth-best in scoring defense — will want to reestablish their pride in the next game.

Match-up wise, Phoenix’s defense is in a good position to bounce back against Chicago’s offense.

The Bulls love to run pick-and-roll actions for the ball-handler.

But the Suns excel at stopping teams who prefer this play type.

For example, they held Portland, which also relies heavily on this same play type, to 100 points.

They also held the Magic and the mighty Jazz who, like Chicago, ranks top-six in frequency of ball-screens for the ball-handler, to fewer than 100 points.

Expect, therefore, that the Suns limit Chicago to 100 points or fewer.

Charlotte Hornets vs. Golden State Warriors
Friday, February 26, 2021 at 10 p.m. ET at Chase Center in San Francisco, California

Charlotte’s Perimeter Defense

The poor quality of Charlotte’s perimeter defense is evident in the fact that Charlotte ranks 10th-worst in limiting opposing open three-point attempts and worst in limiting opposing wide open three-point attempts.

Teams that love to shoot three-pointers are able to take advantage. Most recently, Utah exploited Charlotte’s defense for 132 points.

One might wonder why the Warriors, though, recently lost to Charlotte while only producing 100 points.

In that game, superstar Steph Curry did not play.

Warrior Offense vs. Hornet Defense

As one would expect, Curry is converting 42.7 percent of his three-point attempts.

He is coming off a rare bad outing, but remains typically good at bouncing back in the next game.

His unlimited range and his smooth release make him extremely difficult to guard. He’s a major weapon that opposing defenses have to focus on.

Poor perimeter defense presents a unique problem against a Warrior team that largely because of Curry ranks seventh in three-pointers made per game.

Hornet Offense vs. Warrior Defense

As evident in their positive defensive ratings, both Andrew Wiggins and James Wiseman are valuable defenders.

Wiggins is effective at swatting passes when opposing wings try to drive to the basket.

As a rim protector, Wiseman is making strides as he utilizes his length and athleticism to co-lead the Warriors with Wiggins in blocks per game.

Both players help explain why Golden State ranks seventh-best in limiting opposing field goal percentage within five feet of the basket.

Strong rim protection is uniquely valuable against a Hornet offense that mostly wants to attack the basket.

Charlotte also wants to run a lot in transition to offset a rather inefficient half-court offense.

But as measured by opposing PPP, the Warriors likewise own one of the top transition defenses.

It helps to have intelligent defenders like Draymond Green who does a lot of things to orchestrate Golden State’s transition defense.

Parlay Verdict

Indiana will bully slumping Boston inside while the Celtics struggle with the Pacers’ ball-screen defense.

Chicago and Phoenix defenses will take away what the opposing offense likes to do best.

Golden State will outshoot Charlotte while confining the Hornets to its half-court offense, which will be uniquely limited tonight.

Parlay: Pacers +3 at -110, Bulls/Suns under 228.5 at -110, Warriors -6 at -115 at +581 with Bookmaker

he putting up legit all-star type numbers. 21-5-6 ain’t nothing to sneeze at even in today’s offense only league. Respectable assist/turnover ratio also.

To be fair, he and Sabonis have to shoulder a way bigger load of the scoring production with Caris and TJ injured. So you expect them organically to put up bigger numbers. But he's still the man! :D

Why do I fucking do this to myself. Jesus Indiana. Make a shot or two and show a bit of liveliness on defense, maybe?

Myles Turner. That‘s the guy you let attempt a three when you need a three the most? Are you fucking kidding me? If Brogdon had a decent game this still probably hit

That was painful to watch, 1 bucket in 6 minutes for the 2nd unit. ONE. Wannaker sucked at Pitt, I don't know what he's using to blackmail Kerr.

probably so, I’ve watched the ball kid a few times and they play no defense. His game way smoother than his brothers tho!!!
I finally watched 3 quarters of an NBA game the other night when the Suns played them, Lamelo is the real deal. Regardless the defense, he can break down a half court D and that's not easy to do. Tons of skill driving, dishing, boarding...not shocking when everyone said he was the best one of the kids by far.

I finally watched 3 quarters of an NBA game the other night when the Suns played them, Lamelo is the real deal. Regardless the defense, he can break down a half court D and that's not easy to do. Tons of skill driving, dishing, boarding...not shocking when everyone said he was the best one of the kids by far.

yea he a lot better than I realized. He the total package on the offensive end. I’m assuming it took him a month or 2 to really feel comfortable cause the times I’ve seen him lately he has played way above his season stats. He has scored well above the 15 ppg he averaging on season in almost every game this month. I’d like to see him play some kinda d but we can say that about pretty much every one these kids coming up now. Hopefully they all learn to take that end a little more serious at some point!

Who the 3rd brother? Him and lonzo the only 2 I’ve seen.

yea he a lot better than I realized. He the total package on the offensive end. I’m assuming it took him a month or 2 to really feel comfortable cause the times I’ve seen him lately he has played way above his season stats. He has scored well above the 15 ppg he averaging on season in almost every game this month. Who the 3rd brother? Him and lonzo the only 2 I’ve seen.
LiAngelo got cut a long time ago by Detroit I think

I think Lonzo is a steal at this point for some team

LiAngelo got cut a long time ago by Detroit I think

I think Lonzo is a steal at this point for some team

oh yea, ok I’ve heard of him, so he playing in some euro league or g league?

lonzo game is def improving, he has managed to get that ugly ass shot to fall at a pretty high clip. He still kinda awkward looking but he can play. Just glad their daddy finally shut up/went away.

Draymond been putting up crazy assist numbers lately! Freaking 19 last night!! I see he has a ton of games with dd this month, 4 with 15 or more!! You would think that be kinda tough to pull off when you really don’t have to respect his shot. He ranks pretty high up the list of players who have managed to have such a huge impact on games without much scoring ability.

Draymond been putting up crazy assist numbers lately! Freaking 19 last night!! I see he has a ton of games with dd this month, 4 with 15 or more!! You would think that be kinda tough to pull off when you really don’t have to respect his shot. He ranks pretty high up the list of players who have managed to have such a huge impact on games without much scoring ability.
He's this generation's Rodman but I think he actually likes basketball

2 of 3 not bad VC, I’m assuming you play them individually? Think you mentioned that before. I tailed on the Suns/bulls total, that one made the most sense to me. Good call, Suns held bulls under 100 just as you predicted!

He's this generation's Rodman but I think he actually likes basketball

i was gonna mention Rodman but didn’t think it was a great comparison since draymond touches the ball and impacts the offense a lot more than simply hitting the glass. Both are the same in the impacting the game without scoring tho.

i was gonna mention Rodman but didn’t think it was a great comparison since draymond touches the ball and impacts the offense a lot more than simply hitting the glass. Both are the same in the impacting the game without scoring tho.
Rare to find a player that doesn't give a fk about stats...that's where I was going.

Rare to find a player that doesn't give a fk about stats...that's where I was going.

gotcha. I mean there certainly similarities. Rodman just looked kinda confused when the ball was in his hands at times, lol.

yea he a lot better than I realized. He the total package on the offensive end. I’m assuming it took him a month or 2 to really feel comfortable cause the times I’ve seen him lately he has played way above his season stats. He has scored well above the 15 ppg he averaging on season in almost every game this month. I’d like to see him play some kinda d but we can say that about pretty much every one these kids coming up now. Hopefully they all learn to take that end a little more serious at some point!

Who the 3rd brother? Him and lonzo the only 2 I’ve seen.
He’s also been starting and getting more minutes w Graham being hurt

2 of 3 not bad VC, I’m assuming you play them individually? Think you mentioned that before. I tailed on the Suns/bulls total, that one made the most sense to me. Good call, Suns held bulls under 100 just as you predicted!

Yep I play each one su.

That was the play that hit the easiest so good job picking the best one to tail!

Back