Oregon vs Washington Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Last article for the week. Chalk it up... (please don't play, Herbert)

Pick Ducks to Drown vs Washington

No. 12 Washington (7-1) hosts rival Oregon (5-4) Saturday at 10 PM ET. The Huskies are favored by 17 points.

Oregon Head Coach Willie Taggart has done everything to pretend that star Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert might play vs Washington. His latest maneuver was to have Herbert practice with the first-team while the media was watching. Taggart's plan has forced the Huskies to prepare to play either Herbert or backup Braxton Burmeister. Taggart has also lured bettors with the prospect of an easy investment: the line opened at 26, but bettors have poured money and dropped the spread by 9 points.

A bet on Washington is partly a bet that Herbert will not play. He is physically capable of suiting up. But even if he were to play, he probably isn't ready to withstand tackles.

The difference between Burmeister and Herbert is immense. Herbert's completion % was 68, he averaged 10 yards per attempt and threw 9 touchdowns to 2 interceptions. The Freshman Burmeister was going to redshirt this season. He averages less than 5 yards per attempt and has thrown 3 more interceptions than touchdowns. Herbert can throw. Burmeister cannot.

Oddsmakers have yet to come close to accounting for Herbert's significance. After Herbert's injury, the Ducks failed to cover their next 3 games, missing the cover by 21.5 points vs Washington State, 32 points vs Stanford and 11.5 points vs California. They outmatched a reeling Utah squad behind their rush attack.

Whereas Utah's rush defense ranks towards the bottom of the Pac-12, Washington's is 2nd in the NCAA. They allow 79 rush yards per game and 2.4 yards per carry. Oregon's offense consists entirely in its run game. But they won't be able to run against the Huskies, especially without a passing game to alleviate pressure off Royce Freeman, who has zero touchdowns in the four games since Herbert's injury.

The Huskies' defensive line composes its strength on defense. Vita Vea boasts incredible speed and athleticism for a 340-pounder. Greg Gaines is statistically one of the best run stoppers. He uses his low center of gravity to obtain leverage against blockers. Like Vea, he possesses the strength to explode past double teams. Their mobility makes them disruptive in the interior and a force in the screen game.

Oregon's defensive line is spearheaded by nose tackle Jordon Scott. Scott is physically talented. But the freshman's lack of experience makes him inconsistent. Oregon's defensive line lacks depth, especially in terms of size.

Running back Myles Gaskin averages 6.1 yards per carry for the Huskies. He excels at wearing down opposing defensive lines, like that of Colorado, UCLA and Oregon, who struggle with size and depth. The Huskies are 4-0 ATS when they run for more than 100 yards, and 0-3 ATS when they run for fewer than 100.

Quarterback Jake Browning will help Gaskin by exploiting a Ducks secondary that ranks 70th in opposing quarterback rating. The key defensive back for Browning to pick on will be freshman cornerback Thomas Graham Jr. Browning is one of the Pac-12's most dangerous deep passers and speedy receiver Dante Pettis one of the best deep threats.

Browning and Pettis can do the most to stretch out Oregon's defense vertically and help Gaskin. Oregon consistently struggles against balanced offenses. They have the tools to execute the play-action and the run/pass option, with which Arizona State had exposed Oregon in their upset victory.

The Verdict

Oregon is limited on offense without a decent passer against a superior run defense. The Huskies should wear down Oregon's defense with Gaskin and stretch them out vertically with Browning and Pettis.

NCAAF Pick: Washington -17

Not really sure Browning or the UW passing game threatens anyone right now though. We've questioned Browning all year. While they didn't have to pass on UCLA last week, why not attempt to be more balanced, get some more work in the passing game. Treat it like a practice of sorts, get better and test yourself in all phases.

I think you have a good angle with UW D, especially the front 7 and run D. But the Browning angle I'm not sure I buy. It could certainly unfold that way, I don't know, but haven't seen much evidence that it will. I mean even vs Cal he only hit 5.4 ypa.

Oregon D is solid. But if their O isn't helping them they can't hold up. If Herbert can go in a Wilton Speight vs tOSU kind of way like last year the game could be interesting.

Because he's really good.

Like asking why a clock continues to tell time

Like every QB he's a product of his OL...that's where you start

Because he's really good.

Like asking why a clock continues to tell time

Like every QB he's a product of his OL...that's where you start

The concern with Browning is especially with his pass protection. But I feel like he can neutralize the UO pass rush, which should wear down over time by dealing with a lot of Gaskin, with play-action, RPO and mobility to escape dangerous situations

Not really sure Browning or the UW passing game threatens anyone right now though. We've questioned Browning all year. While they didn't have to pass on UCLA last week, why not attempt to be more balanced, get some more work in the passing game. Treat it like a practice of sorts, get better and test yourself in all phases.

I think you have a good angle with UW D, especially the front 7 and run D. But the Browning angle I'm not sure I buy. It could certainly unfold that way, I don't know, but haven't seen much evidence that it will. I mean even vs Cal he only hit 5.4 ypa.

Oregon D is solid. But if their O isn't helping them they can't hold up. If Herbert can go in a Wilton Speight vs tOSU kind of way like last year the game could be interesting.

I like to look at scouting footage that I can find and lay more emphasis on that than in recent performances. So that I don't get 'surprised.'

The footage that I watched of Browning was last season.

Here:

I can only assume that he is at the same level, why not? Just a minor surgery and reportedly back with an even stronger arm in the Fall

I see a quarterback who can make plays from all over the field and has a nice deep throw. Fits it into tight windows in intermediate routes. Good vision and knows when to throw it away. Can elude pressure but also stay in the pocket.

I really like how you say that Arz St's play action and run/pass worked against Oregon. While every game is really it's own unique situation, I personally like pulling examples from past games as an indicator of what could or couldn't happen. So I think that is one of the strongest points of your position.

I see a Washington offense that is down this year. Whether it is the OL in pass or run (even you VC questioned the run blocking just a couple weeks ago), the lack of weapons...Pettis does not have as good of numbers this year with the loss of Ross and he surely hasn't stepped up to replace Ross' production, the #2 option is a FR TE.

Now I can point to the last 3 weeks of the UW pass O and Browning and see alarms, I don't think it is fair to suggest they will be as poor this week just because, again every game is a different animal and matchups and gameplans and all being what it is. I think Browning will be asked to do more this week than he has, my question is still how effective can he be in doing that?

In big games? Browning isn't easily relied upon. Now you could counter and say that in big games he is facing the best Ds as well and alot of QBs are going to have a hard time, maybe, alot of truly great QBs and offenses rise to the occasion. This O and this QB doesn't do that.

Oregon was a dumpster fire last year. Their D is so much better in so many areas this season it is remarkable. I probably don't need to reel off the numbers, but run D down from 246ypg to 115! RZ D TDs scored down from 80% to 62.5%. 3rd down D down from 48.5% to 30%. Sacks per game up from 2.08 to 3.33. They already have 8 more tfl through 9 games as they did in 12 games last year. Pass D compl % down from 65 to 56 with a 29-9 ratio last year to a 19-8 ratio this year through 9 games.

I'm probably going to be on Oregon assuming Herbert goes and the number is still in it's current neighborhood, but as always appreciate the opportunity to hash things out and read your perspective.

Where is jimmymo?

Wrong end of a hangover in Reno....and starting the drive to Vegas in next 60 minutes...

Bottom line is this -- if you set a scale of Pac12 wide receivers and a "5" was average, the UW currently has one WR that you could rank above a 5.(Pettis).....with the rest being in the 2 and 3 range....the biggest problem is that Pettis gets special attention and the other guys simply cannot get any separation......So, Jake drops back and has the option of (i) throwing a 50/50 ball, (ii) checking down and hoping the line holds (which, as KJ says above, has not been good this year at all...which is odd because they are a veteran group), or (iii) throw it away or get the fukk out.......I actually give Browning credit for not getting more frustrated with the situation and trying to force more throws.......

As for tomorrow, I actually think it comes together a bit for the Huskies O......

I think there is tremendous value on UW assuming Herbie doesn't play. 9 point spread difference because he took first-team snaps for the media. I understand that's an "if." But I feel like Taggart would be an idiot to already let him be taking hits and endangner his career this early in the timetable for return.

UW O still one of the most efficient in terns of points per play. And yes I have questioned UW's protection, but not for the duration of four quarters against a defense that lacks size and depth. Oregon's D is way better than last year but hard to improve from last year. There's still a lot of youth in key positions, freshman at nose tackle and corner. I expect some mistakes.

I think UO has trouble controlling possession. Without being able to stretch UW defensively, the second best run D contains Freeman. Sure Freeman still gets his lions share of yards. But it's hard to move the chains vs a solid defense without a balanced O.

I think if UW can control time of possession, they wear down Oregon's D, make them make some more mistakes, and run away with it

I don't think it's fair to see alarms where the passing attack hasn't had to do anything. ASU being the head-scratcher in between two blowouts

Back