Oregon vs. USC Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Oregon vs. USC Pac-12 Championship Game

Oregon Ducks vs. USC Trojans
Friday, December 18, 2020 at 8 p.m. ET (FOX) at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in Los Angeles, California

Replacing Justin Herbert

Replacing long-time starter and now former first-round draft pick Justin Herbert was never going to be an easy task.

But after Oregon lost as 13-point favorites against Oregon State and then lost, again, as nine-point favorites against Cal, this task may be proving harder than expected.

Shough must carry responsibility for this ongoing two-game losing streak. After throwing a season-high two interceptions against the Beavers, he produced his lowest completion percentage and lowest passer rating of the season against the Golden Bears.

Before I consider Shough’s play, I just want to clarify that Shough is massively disadvantaged before he steps onto the field.

He is not the kind of guy who new offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead wants to recruit.

Moorhead wants a real running threat at quarterback. Yes, Shough has decent enough speed and he can accrue some rushing yards here and there.

But rather guys like Jalen Mayden and Garrett Shrader are prototypical Moorhead quarterbacks. As recruits, both ranked among the top 20 nationally among dual-threat quarterbacks.

Shough, however, is lithely constructed. He does not make good reads in the option game that Oregon likes to execute especially out of its pistol formation. So he is not a Moorhead quarterback and therefore not a good fit for the offense.

The thing is, for all of his deficiencies as a running quarterback, he is not much of a pocket passer either.

From the pocket, he makes poor decisions. He misses viable targets in the passing game — both because he does not seem to see them and because he misses easy throws.

So his poor vision, his relative lack of arm strength make him an unreliable passer. His lack of pocket presence makes him want to get happy feet and bail, anyways, where, again, he’s not much of a runner.

For the above reasons, Shough’s current struggles must seem unsurprising.

And it’s not like he’s always struggling against strong pass defenses. Oregon State’s pass defense ranks similarly to USC’s.

CJ Verdell

Coach Cristobal has been pretty cryptic about running back CJ Verdell. The Oregon Junior was supposed to be one of the PAC-12’s top running backs if not the best one.

Verdell is a strong, powerful runner. But he’s failed to reach 40 yards rushing in each of his last three contests.

His reduced threat creates greater responsibility for Travis Dye, who is a smaller, quicker guy who would be way more effective as a mere change-of-pace guy.

Kedon Slovis

In contrast to Oregon’s, USC’s quarterback is coming off of back-to-back highlight-filled performances. He threw five touchdowns in each of his last two games.

Slovis, who is currently completing just over 70 percent of his passes, has always been known for being an accurate quarterback, especially on the deep ball.

It helps him to have a stacked wide receiver crew that includes Amon-Ra St. Brown.

With his burst, St. Brown easily creates separation and can take the top off of a defense. But he leads the team in receptions because he also possesses sufficient strength in addition to the ability to quickly gain separation. He has the tools to line up effectively on the inside.

Drake London is the team’s leading wide receiver in terms of yardage.

At 6-5 and 210 pounds, he is well-sized, has great body control, and shows reliable hands.

The stacked quality of USC’s pass-catching corps creates strong contrast to an Oregon secondary that is reeling for talent. The opt-outs of cornerback Thomas Graham plus safety Jevon Holland really hurt the Ducks’ pass defense.

A thing about Oregon’s pass defense is that its pass rush has been anemic. When you combine a lower-quality secondary with a pass rush that ranks 102nd nationally in sack rate, you will give up a lot of points as a defense.

Right now, Oregon ranks 72nd nationally in pass defense as measured by opposing passing yards per game. The Ducks rank this poorly despite not having faced any of the Pac-12’s top five passers (as measured by passing yards).

Slovis, who actually is the Pac-12’s leading passer, will give a Duck secondary that is already struggling a uniquely strong challenge. Slovis’ ability to hurt the Oregon pass defense is especially important because USC is a radically pass-heavy team.

The Verdict

USC passes at a high rate and can do so successfully with a superbly accurate and on-fire quarterback, a stacked pass-catching crew, and while going against a weak and untested secondary that is unsupported by even a decent pass rush.

Oregon, with its own critical problems at quarterback and running back, will not keep pace.

Best Bet: Trojans -3 at -125 with BetOnline

I got really lucky...I was initially assigned Vandy/Georgia. But that thankfully got canceled. I just wish I had liked Oregon to win this game because I can't sincerely root against them. I'm not a gambling pimp like @2daBank whose loyalties can be bought with gambling money! :)

I was expecting you to be against Trojans again! After all I got very lucky to win with usc (I didn’t mess with the points I took ml so wasn’t as lucky) last week. Losing that game ats was gross, Bruins were covering for the entire 59 min and what 35 seconds? Yet somehow didn’t cover, that bout rough as it gets.

it might not be real impressive the way they winning pac-12 games but Slovis and those bad ass wrs getting it done!! I think it kinda whack they not in the playoff discussion, doesn’t seem right a undefeated power 5 doesn’t get a chance! After all how do we know these pac-12 teams are less than the other conferences? We don’t really.

far as this game goes ya might be able to tell I’m loving usc again!! Didn’t ducks also lose a number of offensive lineman off one the better units in the country last season? Far as the qb inability to run I’m surprised to hear they want a running qb cause I really felt last year they didn’t let Herbert show off his wheels until late in the year in the pac-12 ship and rose bowl. Don’t matter much just found interesting to hear.

what does matter is ducks don’t generate any pressure on the qb. Good luck defending that usc passing attack if Slovis has a nice comfy pocket to throw out of all night!! My one concern would be ducks have a eye popping yards per play average, like elite! They are terrible in the turnover department, just not sure I can see them keep pace throughout if they give Slovis extra chances.,

I can't believe my UCLA +4 lost. I had a massive wager on that one.

Anyway - agree here. Oregon is not very good.

it was def a really bad beat for anyone on Bruins ats. Go figure I choose to stay away from laying the points on that one and took usc ml. Had I laid it feel like they absolutely run out clock and kick fg. Lol

Ducks should be able to run all over usc. The over makes a lot of sense also as I don’t think either d can stop the offenses strengths.

Didn’t ducks also lose a number of offensive lineman off one the better units in the country last season?

From what I have seen, the Oregon OL has performed better than expected. Maybe not surprising given who Cristbol is.

On the other hand, the DL has underachieved, which is surprising given the talent on hand and the returning experience.

Oregon is a hard time for me to put my finger on. VC seems to have analyzed the QB position pretty well.

I really wanted to see USC go up against Jimmy Lake and the UW D because that would've been a good matchup to watch.

What do we make of USC's sometimes struggles on offense? No points first 4 drives of game vs UCLA? No 2nd H possession longer than 20 yards vs Wash St?! Vs Utah Trojans had 10 points off just 1 total yard of offense? 8 RZ chances vs Arizona and just 4 TDs. Had 6 straight possessions in the middle of the game vs ASU with zero points?

I guess me shooting holes in USC doesn't do any good if they are simply just 4 points better than Oregon. USC just kinda leaves me feeling....meh....Slovis and the passing game and the receivers are excellent, but I feel like they should be more productive than they are.

From what I have seen, the Oregon OL has performed better than expected. Maybe not surprising given who Cristbol is.

On the other hand, the DL has underachieved, which is surprising given the talent on hand and the returning experience.

Oregon is a hard time for me to put my finger on. VC seems to have analyzed the QB position pretty well.

I really wanted to see USC go up against Jimmy Lake and the UW D because that would've been a good matchup to watch.

What do we make of USC's sometimes struggles on offense? No points first 4 drives of game vs UCLA? No 2nd H possession longer than 20 yards vs Wash St?! Vs Utah Trojans had 10 points off just 1 total yard of offense? 8 RZ chances vs Arizona and just 4 TDs. Had 6 straight possessions in the middle of the game vs ASU with zero points?

I guess me shooting holes in USC doesn't do any good if they are simply just 4 points better than Oregon. USC just kinda leaves me feeling....meh....Slovis and the passing game and the receivers are excellent, but I feel like they should be more productive than they are.

its absolutely fair to pick holes and bring up some those questions about usc. Has me thinking more about it, I’m gonna see how well i can answer those 2marro before I get down on anything in this game. Stay tuned.

The kedon slovis 2021 heisman train continues here

It left the station with 2 mins left last Saturday

Choo choooooooo

think the trask for heisman went out the window with the lsu loss. Cross one more guy off list!!

Mac Jones has to be considered doesn’t he? Just looked, he -200 so not only considered but he the fav! Of course he has the luxury of having best team in the country surrounding him and another candidate in smith who could steal votes!! while Slovis has some stud wrs that pretty much it. He has had to overcome no rushing attack and a terrible defense to keep his team undefeated!! Lack of games has to hurt him tho doesn’t it?

I had a few usc games recorded but the wash st game wasn’t one of them, I was really hoping to watch some that second half and see wtf happened?? Was it simply a case of having such a huge halftime lead and taking their foot off the gas? Looks like Slovis played basically the whole game? The backup only threw one pass. They only attempted 16 rushes which is really odd for a game they had a 35-6 lead at half and 38-6 in 3rd. Why wouldn’t you try to run at that point? Slovis did throw for 5 tds in the 1st half so hard to imagine he struggled in 2nd? Only 7 incompletions. Really wish I had that one recorded cause would love to know what went on!

Malepeai had his best game the season vs Bruins going for 110 on a 5.8 per carry average, something to build on? They could certainly use more of that.

outside the 2nd qrtr they did really struggle vs utes but the defense did hold them scoreless after the half. You certainly seem correct about their inconsistency even in the same game but they have also shown spurts of explosiveness in all of them, is Slovis or the playcaller just streaky?

Against ducks I would think they get red hot at some point, as you alluded to the ducks pass rush been non existent, they rank 102nd in sack percentage and allow 11.4 yards per completion. gotta think however they go about it usc shouldn’t have much problem hanging 34 or more. Of course ducks gonna score as well, every team with any offensive ability has scored 27 or more on Trojans! I think im starting to lean stronger to over than I am usc side. I’d love to have a crystal ball and know when usc slow time will be! Lol. Obviously if they start slow I’d prefer to wait! Who knows tho as there doesn’t seem to be much reason for when they get going.

I gotta say i hate betting on usc as favored. They strike me as a team that perpetually underachieves relative to its talent level

I gotta say i hate betting on usc as favored. They strike me as a team that perpetually underachieves relative to its talent level

the only way to bet them is as a favorite! Luckily their ineptitude keeps them from having to lay very much! Go Trojans, don’t let the condom break for one more week!!

Agree but before I knew the line i didn't see it being 3. This line stinks to me

pretty much in line with how usc been getting lined lately and speaks to how they have barely skated by in many their games. Doesn’t seem suspect at all to me when you consider their season full of comebacks and last second wins! I couldn’t imagine they wanting to give anyone a chance to grab more than a fg, gotta believe a lot of ducks money would pounce at anything more than 3.

Back