Oregon vs. Oklahoma Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Oregon vs. Oklahoma Alamo Bowl Picks and Odds Analysis

Oregon Ducks vs. Oklahoma Sooners
Wednesday, December 29, 2021 at 9:15 p.m. ET (ESPN) at Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas

Oregon Coaching Changes

This season, Oregon was led by head coach Mario Cristobal, who accepted the head coaching gig at the University of Miami.

Cristobal will not stick around for this game.

Instead, Bryan McClendon will act as interim head coach for the Alamo Bowl. He served this year as the team's wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator.

Moreover, despite accepting the head coaching job at the University of Oregon, offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead will remain in this role for one last time.

Despite many of them making plans to move onto new programs, the remaining Duck coaches decided to coach alongside McClendon and Moorhead.

Oklahoma Coaching Changes

Oklahoma is dealing with a similar coaching situation at Oregon. But this does not inhibit one from deriving a strong betting angle from both teams' respective coaching situation because this similarity is less relevant to this bowl game.

Head coach Lincoln Riley has left for USC. His predecessor and long-time former Sooner head coach Bob Stoops will lead Oklahoma for this game.

Several former OU assistant coaches are following Riley to USC and are focusing on their futures at USC at the cost of leading Oklahoma.

One key absence will be defensive coordinator Alex Grinch who is largely responsible for the hype that the improved Sooner defense has received.

Coaching is an underrated aspect because we tend to focus on the players. But there is a reason why certain assistant coaches are sought out over others.

It looked uncertain whether the Sooners could even field a full coaching staff in light of these coaching departures.

Graduate assistants are having to step up as are other assistants on the offensive, defensive, and special teams levels.

Big Star Missing

Oregon will miss defensive end and superstar Kayvon Thibodeaux, who has already declared for the NFL Draft and could legitimately be selected first overall.

Thibodeaux arguably would have been the best player on the field. The unanimous All-American played in 11 games this season, accruing 12 tackles for loss, seven sacks, and two forced fumbles in the process.

His absence was glaring. Stanford's game-typing drive at the end of regulation moved downfield because Thibodeaux had to leave due to a targeting call.

Without having to deal with Thibodeaux, the Cardinal offensive line remained sufficiently composed. It stopped committing false starts and could finally provide adequate pass protection.

One may counter that Thibodeaux did not play against Ohio State and that, therefore, Oregon should have no problem beating another high-profile team without him.

However, the Ducks did not win that game because of their defense.

Buckeye quarterback CJ Stroud dropped back 54 times and was only sacked twice and hurried once.

Absent Duck pass pressure allowed him to amass 484 passing yards and three touchdowns to one interception in his second ever college football game which followed a nervy showing against Minnesota.

Buckeye running backs also benefitted with TreVeyon Henderson accomplishing 4.5 YPC and Miyan Williams 5.5.

Other Missing Players

Other player absences will affect both teams on the defensive end.

For Oklahoma, linebacker Nik Bonitto, defensive end Isaiah Thomas, explosive defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey, and linebacker Brian Asamoah have all opted out of the bowl game in order to prepare for the upcoming NFL Draft.

While all four guys are starters, one player worth highlighting is Thomas as he led OU with eight sacks and was second on the team with 11.5 tackles for loss.

As for the Ducks, top cornerback and well-decorated All-Pac 12 stud Mykael Wright opted out of this bowl game while fellow corner DJ James entered the transfer portal.

Key Offensive Players

While some Sooner pass-catchers hit the transfer portal, the team's leading wide receiver, Marvin Mims, will play.

Mims, with developing youngster Caleb Williams who amassed 18 touchdowns to four interceptions during the season and also posed a threat with his legs, will have a field day against a Duck secondary missing its best cornerbacks and its best source of pass rush.

Kennedy Brooks, who amassed 1,111 rushing yards on six YPC will also stay to provide offensive balance.

Oregon's offense is also taking this game seriously because, instead of initiating a youth movement at quarterback while looking to next year it elected to start Anthony Brown at quarterback in what will be the graduate transfer's final game.

With the absences in OU's front seven, a gladly run-heavy Oregon offense will face fewer obstacles.

Even without future NFL talent Devon Williams, the Ducks still have plenty of dangerous wide receivers. One noteworthy guy is former four-star recruit Kris Hutson who came on particularly strong at the end of the season, his freshman season.

The Verdict

Oregon will have a coaching edge for this game while both teams have the motivated and able offensive talents necessary to exploit both shorthanded defenses in order to create a high-scoring game.

Best Bet: Ducks +5 at -108 with Heritage & Over 61 at -108 with Heritage

Interesting take on Cristobol's 'meddling' with the offense:

Summary -
Coach Moorhead now has a chance to implement his offense unshackled in the bowl game, and demonstrate the true scoring capacity without the presence of Cristobal looming over him. It is possible that Oregon will give Oklahoma a battle that requires a team to survive a shoot-out. This one could be quite fun to watch…

I don't know. Not sure how much I like the receivers that are left at Oregon and it is Anthony Brown throwing them the ball, so that is what it is. Not like it is always bad, but also somewhat constrained.

Both Ds do have significant missing pieces now too.

there were times at BC i thought Brown was good! not as many this year at oregon, once or twice, i think he can be capable. of course he can stink up the joint also.

An article I read said that as a starter, Brown has only ever beat one AP top 25 team while at BC or Oregon. Didn't say how many games. The one game was at Ohio State, which statistically wasn't phenomenal, but he made some very timely plays and led the O well in that one. Many Oregon fans are very very hard on Brown. He is limited and the criticism isn't misguided, but perhaps a little harsh.

Oregon and Oklahoma have one of the most historic moments in recent college football history

I had forgotten all the details of that 2006 games.

“In a game, I’d love to have a chance to replay it and do it over,” Stoops said days later.

He gets another crack at Oregon as the Sooners’ interim head coach for the Alamo Bowl.

I had forgotten all the details of that 2006 games.
Rare remember where you were moments

I was at a pool party with an Oregon fan and money on OU

That sequence will never be forgotten

Rare remember where you were moments

I was at a pool party with an Oregon fan and money on OU

That sequence will never be forgotten

That is funny because I definitely remember where I was, I was at home. LOL, but I was actually watching the game with a huge OU fan, a family member who is now divorced and not in our family. First and only time we watched games together. But he was huge OU fan and just sick at the end, I felt bad he was at my house, like he probably felt it some kind of bad luck or something to watch the game there.

An article I read said that as a starter, Brown has only ever beat one AP top 25 team while at BC or Oregon. Didn't say how many games. The one game was at Ohio State, which statistically wasn't phenomenal, but he made some very timely plays and led the O well in that one. Many Oregon fans are very very hard on Brown. He is limited and the criticism isn't misguided, but perhaps a little harsh.

their offense was taylor made to be a problem for osu at that time, they couldnt defend the rpo for shit.

Remember when barry alvarez came back for wisconsin and won as an underdog against auburn ? maybe the ole win one for the gipper effect will be in play here .....I don't think Stoops is going to want to come back and lose......he will have his team very prepared

So Moorhead is coaching but what about the rest of the Duck staff?

Here is what I've accumulated on OU. There were a few GAs and analysts eve later to position spots beyond what is below

coaches - HC Lincoln Riley gone - Bob Stoops will HC - also gone to USC DC Alex Grinch, LB coach Jamar Cain, WR coach Dennis Simmons, strength coach Bennie Wylie. CB coach Roy Manning reportedly resigned.
coaches - Cale Gundy (inside WRs) will call O, Gundy and Bedenbaugh (OL) are Co-OC for bowl
coaches - Ty Darlington (GA) will be QB coach for bowl
coaches - Brian Odom (ILB) will call D for the bowl - Odom (USC), DL coach Calvin Thibodeaux (SMU) and OLB/DE coach Jamar Cain (USC) all returned for bowl prep

What does the Oregon staff look like? McClendon rumored to be joining Cristobal after this game.

So Moorhead is coaching but what about the rest of the Duck staff?

Here is what I've accumulated on OU. There were a few GAs and analysts eve later to position spots beyond what is below

What does the Oregon staff look like? McClendon rumored to be joining Cristobal after this game.
I like to look at fan attitude

I don't think either fan base wants to even play this game...it's really a glorified scrimmage

I might think the Stoops angle has the fans, alumni, staff and players more engaged than if some random assistant was interim.

I might think the Stoops angle has the fans, alumni, staff and players more engaged than if some random assistant was interim.
Well we have a couple here to gauge interest

Just saying I know several from both bases locally and the interest is basically nil

Well we have a couple here to gauge interest

Just saying I know several from both bases locally and the interest is basically nil
A couple are Rattler people so that certainly has an effect

how good are the linebackers filling in for oklahoma......I think oklahoma the better team here but if you have to put 2 green linebackers in with no ability - that's a recipe for disaster.

Oregon lacking lotta depth at corner, one starter to nfl and one entered transfer portal. Oklahoma should pass for days - over seems like a good play. Oklahoma the more explosive team, if their backup linebackers show up I think they cover.

Lot of these assistants for oklahoma were not retained and accepted jobs elsewhere - but decided to stay on for the bowl game. Think thats a good sign.

#2 LB DAVID UGWOEGBU
An Academic All-Big 12 First Team honoree ... has played in all 12 games and
has made three starts ... started vs. Tulane (9/4), Western Carolina (9/11)
and Baylor (11/13) ... has totaled 43 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss ... notched
three tackles at Oklahoma State (11/27) ... registered six tackles (0.5 TFL) at
Baylor (11/13) ... recorded five stops (one solo) at Kansas (10/23) ... registered
a career-high seven tackles vs. TCU (10/16) ... tallied six stops vs. West Virginia
(9/25) ... made two tackles vs. Nebraska (9/18) ... notched five tackles (1.0 TFL)
in season opener vs. Tulane (9/4).

#23 LB DASHAUN WHITE
Has started all 11 games in which he has played (nine at middle linebacker and
two at weakside linebacker) ... missed the Baylor game (11/13) due to illness ...
ranks third on the team with 60 total tackles, 5.0 tackles for loss and a fumble
recovery ... notched six stops at Oklahoma State (11/27) ... registered seven
tackles (five solo) and 1.0 TFL vs. Iowa State (11/20) ... recorded eight tackles
(0.5 TFL) vs. Texas Tech (10/30) ... notched seven tackles and career-high 1.5
TFLs and returned a fumble 37 yards vs. TCU (10/16) ... tallied eight stops (0.5
TFL) at Kansas State (10/2) ... registered a career-high 10 tackles (0.5 TFL) vs.
Nebraska (9/18)

#33 DE/OLB MARCUS STRIPLING
Has played in 10 games ... missed TCU (10/16) and Kansas (10/23) contests ...
has totaled two tackles (both assists), 0.5 tackles for loss and a pass breakup
... notched an assisted tackle at Baylor (11/13) ... registered an assisted TFL at
Kansas State (10/2) ... was credited with a PBU vs. Iowa State (11/20)

Those are just from the game notes. I don't know anything about any of them. Somebody else can chime in maybe?

Good company:

6.94: Yards per carry by Kennedy Brooks during his three-year OU career. It ranks fourth all-time behind Greg Pruitt (7.40), Leon Heath (7.03) and Billy Sims (6.94).

I flipped a coin and put over on top of a 3 team parlay w the other coin flips today. lol. I liked yesterday card much better.

Back