Oregon vs Arizona Article Preview

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Did not request this game for obvious reasons. Upon research, though, I really like what I have here. Feel free to discuss if you agree or disagree and BOL

Trap Alert! Back Oregon vs Flashy Arizona

Oregon (5-5) hosts Arizona (7-3) Saturday at 7 PM. The even odds is luring loads of early money on Arizona.

Arizona is a huge public favorite because they have won 5 out of their last 6 behind Heisman Candidate Khalil Tate. But their performance against conference opponents on the road is alarming.

At Colorado, they allowed the Buffaloes, who rank 98th in yards per carry behind their anemic offensive line, to run for 300 yards. At California, they allowed the NCAA's third-worst rush offense to produce 172 yards. At USC, the Trojans ran for 331 yards. In each of those road games, they surrendered more than 40 points. In neither of those games did the opposing quarterback have to do much.

Despite being relied on more frequently and garnering more of the defense's attention due to the injury of quarterback Justin Herbert, running back Royce Freeman's numbers are actually up from last year. He averages 5.9 yards per carry behind a solid offensive line and creative play-calling that utilizes his downhill running style.

Freeman is a workhorse who utilizes his vision to find open running lanes and anticipate oncoming defenders in order to prevent them from approaching him at a propitious angle. He's strong and excels at breaking through initial contact. He also has support from two running backs who average 5+ YPC after 50+ carries.

Behind their rushing attack, the Ducks have been reliable against unranked opponents at home, 2-1 ATS, the one non-cover a backdoor one, after Oregon had led 42-7. Without Herbert, the Ducks outscored Cal 28-17 in the second half at home and upset Utah 41-20. The Ducks enjoy home field advantage, especially on Saturday night.

Stopping the opposing rush attack is importantly Oregon's defensive strength. Arizona is 0-3 ATS this season when running for fewer than 250 yards. The Ducks rank 28th in allowing 3.8 yards per carry.

It is telling that Oregon allows only 2.6 YPC at home, which would rank them first in the nation. Because of Oregon's offensive success at home, they are able to rest their defense by controlling the ball more.

After the bye week, Oregon's defense is rested. Linebacker Troy Dye leads the team with 84 tackles and is second with 11.5 tackles for loss. Defensive end Jalen Jelks leads the defense with 13.5 tackles for loss. They lead a speedy and athletic defense that can wreak havoc in the backfield. Their sack percentage at home would rank them 7th overall and they rank 21st in tackles for loss per game.

The Ducks' defensive weakness is giving up the big pass play. But Tate is an inconsistent passer who has thrown 5 interceptions in his past 4 games. The Ducks match up well defensively against Arizona's Tate-led offense.

The bonus of backing Oregon is that Herbert may actually play. Herbert had completed almost 70% of his passes, achieved 10 yards per pass and produced a 9:2 interception ratio before breaking his collarbone on September 30th.

The time table for his return was 4-6 weeks. This time period has ended. Oregon sources have been optimistic about his medical progress. With Oregon only having two games remaining in order to clinch bowl eligibility with one more win, it is possible that Herbert returns, in which case bettors will no longer be able to back Oregon as a non-favorite.

The Verdict

The Ducks, behind their elite rushing attack, can light up the scoreboard. Expect a fun game where Oregon's well-rested, athletic defense limits Tate and secures the win.

NCAAF Pick: Oregon PK

Like the poor Arizona D and good Oregon D angles. Not just on the road, but even at home, UCLA had their second best rushing output of the year vs Zona...190y. Last time we talked Oregon football you know I was high on the Duck D in that Washington game, but the worst fears were realized, without any offensive support their D couldn't hold up, and Washington did hit some big plays on them.

Arizona is #1 country in long run plays of 20-70y, but have much fewer big plays passing.

I like Oregon's chances. Just it is a bitch to try and corral Tate. Although, as you say, after the CU game...at Cal and at USC his numbers aren't quite as spectacular.

I can put some trust in the Oregon D here. What about rust and rhythm concerns out of Herbert though? Suppose assuming some potential for that is better than rolling with Burmeister. Although, did I see somewhere Arizona was -7 in this game assuming Burmeister was the QB. I could take that +7 with him, but how much certainty are we figuring says Herbert is playing?

Herbert playing it seems. Its not like he hasn't been throwing dimes in practice for a while now. It's just about having him healed up to be able to handle contact

Nice read as always, 1st article of yours I saw this week and cruising around looking for a few games to piggy back, I shall join you here! Lol. Gl To us :)

Dick Rod has owned Oregon in the past...new regime for Oregon minimizes any aspect of that?

If this line gets big enough I'm going to look hard at Zona as a dog here.

Dick Rod has owned Oregon in the past...new regime for Oregon minimizes any aspect of that?

If this line gets big enough I'm going to look hard at Zona as a dog here.

Looks like they haven't played since 2014 with 2-2 record 2012-14 (played twice '14). Leavitt and the bye last week should help the Ducks. Ducks should have better D, facing Tate going to be tough though.

Fellow Cards fan brings luck to my plays lol yay

Lol. Very odd, luck has never been my calling card, bad luck maybe, lol., weird NCAA season for me, havnt really capped a NCAA card all season due to lack of time this year. All I been doing is Friday nights reading all my favorite threads and posters here and sbr and just cherry picking games I feel had good cases made for them. Never been 1 to blindly tail but really no other choice if I still wanted action this season. Has actually went pretty well, suppose I have a talent for picking out best ones!! Or just dumb luck, lmao.

I say it's more talent. Some picks have really fallible reasoning for them or you can detect bs, like they're trying too hard to make a case, ignoring certain problems/questions or it seems too obvious somehow. However you gotta make money, though!

Needless to say appreciate everyone's work to post well thought out write ups and discussions for me to be able to have decent idea what going on without being able to watch much this season.. Nice job!!

Na havnt went to blankets in very long time. Here and you know the other place I'm at, think we 1st met over there.. have lot of long time friends from that site, there more bs to wade thru but I've known and been discussing this stuff with some those guys for damn near a decade.

jesus you been gambling for a while. yea once you make that emotional connection with people it's almost like the other bs isn't even there, or its not that important. at "that" place which you mentioned by name before lol i think you have a cards avatar so thats probs where I met you first, cause I look out for that :)

Guys here awesome as well, learned a lot about betting NCAA hoops reading ctg way back in the day, 7-8 maybe 9 years ago? Not to mention the work some these guys do w NCAA football all season, usually when season gets close I take a day or 2 and go back and read all the stuff some these guys been talking about all offseason! Unreal the amount of time they put in and knowledge they have about all these teams and recruits!!

Yep:.yep.,and yep big red stl that me!!

Real long time, hell I been betting NFL since I was in 8th-9th grade started out running pools, then few years I'd take my friends bets. Remember 1st giants/bills super bowl I was taking everyone's bet on gmen, Scott Norwood misses a fg and I found myself selling off baseball cards to pay bets off! Lol., by 19-20 I was betting NFL pretty heavy,way way heavier than I ever would these days, much older and wiser, lol., think when I was 30-31 I started getting serious with baseball (favorite to bet) and NCAA hoops, round time I discovered these forums which was 8-9 years ago I suppose. Lol

Back then was the time gamehunter posted here in baseball right??

Yea remember him.

Lot of guys still here were here then. Think at 1st I mostly read NCAA hoops threads didn't talk much yet, was trying to learn theories and figure out my own. Will always have soft spot for here cause so many guys were so helpful in making their thought process or capping methods transparent which allowed me to understand the why and figure out things that worked for me.. that why over at other place I do that a great deal in couple season long threads as that what these places should be about.

Back