• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

option football in 2023

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
...starting this fall, Army’s opponents will no longer have to defend the under-center triple option. This spring, Monken is doing the unthinkable and moving his team to a primarily shotgun offense. He felt he didn’t have a choice in the wake of an under-the-radar NCAA rules change last year that eliminated blocking below the waist — known as cut blocking — anywhere but inside the tackle box.

It will still be an option offense at Navy, but it’ll look different than previous years. Expect more tight ends. Expect to see Navy quarterbacks line up in the shotgun from time to time. It won’t be a primarily shotgun-based attack, a shift Army will make this year, but it will be another example of option-based teams adapting to the times, which include stricter rules on downfield blocking outside the tackle box.

“I don’t think the option is dead by any stretch,” said Newberry, downplaying the effect of blocking rule changes. “I do think we’ve got to get creative on how we do certain things. It’s going to help us evolve. It’s a time to call for creativity and to do things better. We’re going to be in the gun as well, we’ll use the tight end, and what we’re doing is different than anybody else in the country.”

Kennesaw State has a new OC and offensive system (old OC is at Navy)

Coach Brian Bohannon said he will move away from having the quarterbacks always playing under center. Much of the new scheme will run out of the shotgun and will include a featured running back who can not only get the tough yards between the tackles, but one who can also take it 80 yards if he breaks into space.

Bohannon said the scheme will still be option-oriented but with a bigger run-pass option component.

Wofford no longer runs the option. Are there any changes taking place at other option based schools?

I would anticipate the growing pains and potential difficulty transitioning to a new system, or changing system for these teams outweighs the benefit of the opposing defenses being unsure how to gameplan for them. Any thoughts on this or how it might apply to handicapping their games?

Yes, I remember the trouble when Army went spread and then pro-style 20 years ago. And Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech. Those transitions are very difficult. Lots more case studies back in the 80s as more teams transitioned out of triple option to modern football.

With Kennesaw, they are completely abandoning their option offense. So that is going to be a huge change, they are trying to get that transition out of the way now so they will be better off for FBS next year. I envision lots of opportunities to play against them.

Army, it is different formations and blocking and concepts, but they want to try and do the same thing - I think? Still sounds like significant changes and I'm skeptical how that is going to look and work.

Navy sounds like they will be kind of the same, but some different wrinkles.

Yes, I remember the trouble when Army went spread and then pro-style 20 years ago. And Georgia Southern and Georgia Tech. Those transitions are very difficult. Lots more case studies back in the 80s as more teams transitioned out of triple option to modern football.

With Kennesaw, they are completely abandoning their option offense. So that is going to be a huge change, they are trying to get that transition out of the way now so they will be better off for FBS next year. I envision lots of opportunities to play against them.

Army, it is different formations and blocking and concepts, but they want to try and do the same thing - I think? Still sounds like significant changes and I'm skeptical how that is going to look and work.

Navy sounds like they will be kind of the same, but some different wrinkles.
Whatever version of what is left of the triple that Willie runs at Tulane is still there and seems to work

Back