Opening weekend discussion

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
No plays for myself on this game.

Reasons being simple, there are a few unknown variable that they can't be ignored.

How will the ice be? How will the players perform in front of a netural crowd? How will LA play against NHL competition after playing in euro tourneys? HOw will the time zone affect the players?

none of this has really ever happened before in the NHL, so no way would I pay -160 or whatever it ends up falling on for the Ducks with no Giguere, no way would I play the Kings who have pretty much a totally revamped lineup, although there is always value in the dog early.

I wouldn't play the over with the ice question marks, history says over, and if anything I would say this would be a play. BUt Ducks lost scoring too, and have to find chemistry amongst new lines. I also wouldnt play the over with the Kings goalies and no JS

anybody playing anything?:cheers:

LONDON - Welcome to a new National Hockey League season.

Sure, training camps have been going for a while, but it's only now that the Anaheim Ducks have arrived in London for their opener against the Los Angeles Kings that it gets serious and the recognition sinks in that the start is only days away.

Even though the Ducks travelled in luxurious fashion, it wasn't an easy trip. First they went coast to coast from Long Beach, Calif., to New York, then after a refuelling, across the Atlantic to London.
They landed at Stansted, one of London's more remote airports, and by the time they got to their hotel — a Marriott, of course — the trip was well past the 12-hour mark.
Add to that the fact they they had crossed eight time zones and it was no wonder that they were a little disoriented when coach Randy Carlyle put them through a two-session practice yesterday.
But if you're going to have to make that kind of trip, it's best to do it the way the Ducks did.
They had a charter flight, which means they avoided the usual troglodytes who run the airport-security lanes that you and I have to use. And their plane had none of those five-seat rows that we seem to get stuck in when we fly.
Instead, it had 48 private compartments with seats that fold down into flat beds so that even someone as tall as Chris Pronger could get some comfortable sleep.
But they still need to force themselves to get their bodies on English time for Saturday evening's season-opener against the Los Angeles Kings, so there was a strict command in large letters on the dressing-room board: No Naps.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=285 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
7267544_36_1.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption>The Ducks skate on the new ice at London's O2 Arena on Wednesday. (Bruce Bennett / Getty Images)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The Kings came to Europe earlier and were to arrive in London on Wednesday night.
Ice would be nice

Whenever a season starts, the ice is new. But in this case, it's really new.
The O2 Arena in London opened its doors on June 22 and although some rock concerts have been staged, no ice had ever been laid down.
So three days ago, the NHL's ice guru, Dan Craig, started work on the surface. In a case like this, more is involved than just dumping some water on the floor and chilling it.
For starters, the floor had been swept after the concerts, but never properly cleaned. So the first job was to make sure that the surface was free from any contaminants that might affect the ice.
Then the boards had to be installed. The O2 Arena was built to accommodate European hockey with its larger ice surface and the stadium's personnel had used those boards only to control crowds. But Craig had to oversee the installation of boards for an NHL-size rink. That, too, was a first.
Building an ice surface from scratch is like making a cake from scratch. You have to give it a try, then make some variations in the recipe and hope the product improves.
But matters seem to be off to a good start. The ice held up well during the practice and although Craig would certainly never make such a concession, it seemed to be a lot better that the ice the Ducks play on at home, one of the worst surfaces in the league.
Close enough?

In explaining the decision to start the season over here, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said, "This is a good opportunity to dip our toe in the water. A third of our players come from outside of North America and the hockey fans in those countries like to follow their players."
Right. And how many English players does the NHL have? Try zero.
But by a remarkable coincidence, the O2 Arena just happens to be owned by the Anschutz Entertainment Group, the same corporate empire that owns the Kings.
Surely that couldn't have been a factor in all this, could it? Or in the Kings' decision to play a couple of exhibition games in another European arena also owned by AEG?
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=285 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
7267542_36_1.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption>The Ducks' Francois Beauchemim, Travis Moen and Ryan Carter look for their names on the Stanley Cup in London on Wednesday. (Tom Hevezi / Associated Press)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Of course not. It's because of all those fans in Sweden and the Czech Republic who might travel to London to see the games.
On the mend

The best news to emerge from the Ducks was that goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere's five-month-old son is doing well.
He was born with a serious eye problem on April 4, which is why Giguere had to miss some of the Ducks' Stanley Cup run.
"He's awesome," said Giguere. "He still has a challenge with his right eye, but for the rest, everything is normal. We're trying to save the eye so we dont have to remove it."
If the eye doesn't grow properly, it can cause pain and facial deformity.
But the doctors at UCLA feel that the operation that was performed during the playoffs to save the eye was successful.
Now, its just a matter of waiting to see what further developments occur. In this area, like so many others, technology is improving rapidly. "They couldnt have done the surgery that they did 10 years ago," said Giguere. "But the other eye is fine. He's tracking and laughing at me."

SALZBURG, Austria - Anze Kopitar scored three goals Tuesday to help the Los Angeles Kings rally for a 7-6 win over Red Bull Salzburg in an exhibition tournament.
The Austrian champions went ahead 3-0 in the opening four minutes, but Mike Cammalleri, Ladislav Nagy and Kopitar evened the score within 10 minutes. Kopitar added another goal on a power play later in the period.
Derek Armstrong scored on a penalty, and Nagy and Kopitar secured victory for the Kings in the final 10 minutes.
The Red Bull Salute tournament includes Swedish team Farjestad BK and Swiss club HC Davos. The Kings will play the winner in Wednesday's final.
On Saturday, the Kings open the NHL season with a two-game series against the Anaheim Ducks in London.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headline colSpan=2>Short is sweet for Ducks</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px">Shawn P. Roarke | NHL.com Senior Writer </TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px" vAlign=bottom align=right>Sep 26, 2007, 3:52 PM EDT</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blckTopBord style="PADDING-TOP: 2px" colSpan=2><TABLE style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD class=txt10Strg align=middle><NOBR>Marchant</NOBR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD class=txt10Strg align=middle><NOBR>Perry</NOBR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LONDON -- The Anaheim Ducks have certainly hit the ground running here in London.
But ever since winning the Stanley Cup, it seems that the club has done everything at warp speed.
“Our summer seemed like it was just the blink of an eye,” coach Randy Carlyle said.
Not that anyone is complaining.
“That’s the way you want it,” says J.S. Giguere, the club’s injured goalie. “A short summer is a good summer because it means you have been successful. That’s what we want.”
So you couldn’t find many complaints Wednesday morning as the team took the ice for the first time at the 02 Arena. Not even the fact that the club did not land until late Tuesday night could put much of a damper on things.
”We are thinking of this experience as a great experience,” Giguere said. “It’s not every day that you get to come to London and represent the NHL.”
As such, it appears that the Ducks don’t want to waste a minute of their time here. First, the team took part in a spirited two-hour practice, which was run at high speed by the always demanding Carlyle. But there was a reward waiting for the players at the end of that torture session. The Ducks’ good friend, the Stanley Cup, was on hand. But he was sporting a new look, featuring the names of the Anaheim players engraved on the trophy for the first time.
<TABLE class=rightTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=250><TBODY><TR><TD class=infoBox>
roarke_2007.jpg

<HR>
Related Links:
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>So, as they approached an old-fashioned bus parked outside the arena, waiting to take them on a sight-seeing tour of the city, the new-look Cup was waiting. Not surprisingly, the players made a beeline for it.
“Sick!” was Todd Marchant’s take on the Cup alterations. “That’s really cool.”
Corey Perry waited until some of the older players had taken a look for their names before he sidled up to the Cup to find his own line on the trophy.
“That’s when it really sinks in,” he said. “A day with the Cup that is when it hits home; but when you see your name on there, that’s when it will really sink in. It’s going to be on there for the rest of your life. When you have the opportunity at a young age to do that, like I have, and you get to see that, it’s just wonderful. Everything is a little surreal.”
Perhaps not as surreal as carting the Stanley Cup onto the top deck of a double-decker and taking it for a tour of London. Yet, that is exactly what the Ducks did.
The two-hour tour on a 30-year-old double-decker, reserved for special occasions, hit all the hot spots in rapid succession. The Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, the London Bridge, Big Ben, Westminster Abby, Parliament Square and Buckingham Palace were crossed off the to-do list in rapid succession.
But even that wasn’t enough. As the bus returned to the hotel, plans were already being made for the evening. More than a dozen Ducks were keen on taking in a League Cup football match between Fulham and Bolton at nearby Craven Cottage. George Parros was among that contingent.
I’m not an avid fan, but I like to watch it and appreciate what they do,” he said. “It should be interesting.”
Those left behind had a good dinner on their minds.
Plus, everybody was already planning for Thursday, an off-day. A fair number of players were planning to hit some of the famous golf courses in the area. Others had sight-seeing in mind, building off Wednesday’s superficial, yet highly enjoyable, tour. Whatever the plans, they had the blessing of Carlyle, the coach.
“We felt it was important that they get to do something on their own here,” Carlyle said. “It can’t be all about push, push, push.”
Perhaps it won’t be all about push, push, push. But there was no doubt that push, push, push was what Wednesday was about. But you couldn’t find an Anaheim Duck player complaining about the full itinerary.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I'd have to say the only play would be on the Kings here, they have been over there longer and been playing some decent teams. No JS for the Ducks while the Kings are in full force I believe, the ice is a question mark but I think the Kings small is the only bet here.

Agree Brar, really think if anything in this game its the dog. No value whatsoever in the Ducks...

throw in the Stanley Cup hangover, short offseason, you name it...

Do you guys think these 2 games might be full of 'game-selling' offensive hockey, with goals and power plays galore?

If Bettman had his way Im sure... but at the same time, I dont really know nor believe London is a market the NHL wants to tap anytime soon... europe absolutely

its not all that bad buffalobill try to get hockey spread around, we all know NHL can use all the marketing they can get, but they should try a little harder on the USA before they go overseas.

I'm going against the Ducks in both games and playing the under in the first one...whenever Bodogshit gets the lines up....Ducks are gonna have a terrible 1st month....that 3rd game in DET is gonna be brutal for them...too bad, hehheh.

I was on the right side today, though I think the Ducks probably bounce back tomorrow and then get hammered in Detroit.

Back