One New Thread Idea...Coaching Blunders

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
We can keep this as a season-long thread but what did coaches do yesterday that had you just shaking your head?

It could be deviating from what works...

It could be curious calls in curious situations...

It can be mis-management of the clock...

It could be getting a player hurt in a blowout...

Feel free to share any other fun times you can recant from the first month of the year...

This will be the 'VK Memorial' by the way...

They won but Penn State first and goal, takes it till 4th to get the TD

Let's keep the ball out of Barkley's hands, they had at least 1 timeout too prior to 4th so they could have run, not that they needed to run to get Barkley involved

That third down call too was bad, if the Iowa lineman didn't knock it down and the receiver catches it he's tackled inbounds but clock prolly runs out

A and M bad clock management on their drive which ended up sending the game to ot

Lost 15 seconds by not spiking the ball on 1st down at the 10, would have had a few shots at the EZ before having to kick a fg

• 3rd and 3 at ARK 15
    (0:27 - 4th) Keith Ford run for 5 yds to the Ark 10 for a 1ST down

• 1st and Goal at ARK 10
    (0:09 - 4th) Keith Ford run for 1 yd to the Ark 9

• (0:08 - 4th) Timeout TEXAS A&M, clock 00:08
  • (0:08 - 4th) Timeout ARKANSAS, clock 00:08
  • 2nd and Goal at ARK 9
    (0:04 - 4th) Daniel LaCamera 27 yd FG GOOD

They won but Penn State first and goal, takes it till 4th to get the TD

Let's keep the ball out of Barkley's hands, they had at least 1 timeout too prior to 4th so they could have run, not that they needed to run to get Barkley involved

That third down call too was bad, if the Iowa lineman didn't knock it down and the receiver catches it he's tackled inbounds but clock prolly runs out
And third down was a slant up the middle. Had he caught that he gets decimated and they lose the game.

I'm not dead yet!

My newest pet peave is the mismanagement near midfield heading into halftimes by both the team on offense and team on defense.

Here is my favorite from yesterday ... Rutgers down 10 ....

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 25
    (5:59 - 4th) Kyle Bolin pass incomplete to Dacoven Bailey

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 25
    (5:59 - 4th) Kyle Bolin pass complete to Hunter Hayek for 9 yds to the Rutgr 34

• 3rd and 1 at RUTG 34
    (5:59 - 4th) Gus Edwards run for 2 yds to the Rutgr 36 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 36
    (5:59 - 4th) Kyle Bolin pass incomplete to Jerome Washington

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 36
    (5:59 - 4th) Kyle Bolin pass incomplete to Hunter Hayek

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 36
    (5:59 - 4th) Kyle Bolin pass incomplete

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 36
    (5:59 - 4th) Ryan Anderson punt for 56 yds, downed at the Neb 8

1st and 10 at NEB 8
(4:28 - 4th) Devine Ozigbo run for 7 yds to the Neb 15

From this NFL notes column I'm reading...

Penny-slot Ron Rivera actually punted on 4th-and-5 from the Saints 35, down 24-6 in the third quarter.

From this NFL notes column I'm reading...

Penny-slot Ron Rivera actually punted on 4th-and-5 from the Saints 35, down 24-6 in the third quarter.

• 1st and 10 at CAR 25
    (11:09 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass short middle to C.McCaffrey to CAR 34 for 9 yards (V.Bell).

• 2nd and 1 at CAR 34
    (10:36 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Newton pass incomplete short left to D.Funchess (K.Crawley).

• 3rd and 1 at CAR 34
    (10:31 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Stewart right tackle to CAR 40 for 6 yards (A.Klein).

• 1st and 10 at CAR 40
    (9:49 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass short right to D.Funchess to CAR 49 for 9 yards (A.Klein).

• 2nd and 1 at CAR 49
    (9:11 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass short right to C.McCaffrey pushed ob at NO 40 for 11 yards (A.Anzalone).

• 1st and 10 at NO 40
    (8:40 - 3rd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) C.Newton sacked at NO 42 for -2 yards (H.Kikaha).

• 2nd and 12 at NO 42
    (7:55 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass incomplete deep left to D.Funchess.

• 3rd and 12 at NO 42
    (7:48 - 3rd) (Shotgun) C.Newton pass short left to C.Samuel to NO 35 for 7 yards (A.Anzalone).

• (7:08 - 3rd) Timeout #1 by NO at 07:08.
  • 4th and 5 at NO 35
    (7:08 - 3rd) M.Palardy punts 35 yards to end zone, Center-J.Jansen, Touchback.

I am absolutely dumbfounded.

They wasted 4 minutes of clock to get 15 net yards on a punt...

down 3 scores in the third quarter with the ball in great position...

That is extremely upsetting. I fear for the world with decisions like this.

The best part is..

On 3rd and 12, they completed a short pass which I am guessing was to gain some yardage either for a FG or they were playing it as 'four-down territory' and then decided to punt.

no, just a regular garden variety one. wouldn't you think a GM who is a little more analytical would get upset at such a thing and make sure it never happens again?

If this early season in both leagues has taught me anything...

I need to have more of a social life like before marriage because I watch way too much football now and this stuff drives me nuts.

Down their starting QB...

Just gave up 14 points pretty quickly to tie game...

They RECEIVE ball coming out of halftime...

• (1:11 - 2nd) Dominik Eberle kickoff for 65 yds for a touchback

• 1st and 10 at BYU 25
    (1:11 - 2nd) Trey Dye run for 9 yds to the BYU 34

• 2nd and 1 at BYU 34
    (1:11 - 2nd) Koy Detmer Jr. pass intercepted Dallin Leavitt return for 26 yds to the BYU 24

Back