"One day at a time" team analysis: Day 37 - NC State

lindetrain

Pretty much a regular
27 views and no replies on the UNC thread as of right now, which is not good. Please help make these worthwhile...

Overview:

After a 7-win season in 2005, NC State stumbled to 3-9 in 2006, and lost their final 7 games. Chuck Amato is now gone, and former Boston College coach Tom O'Brien takes over after leaving BC last December. He inherits a team which returns 14 starters, including every key weapon on offense.

Daniel Evans took over at QB in 2006, and went on to throw for 1843 yards, 6 TDs and 11 INTs in 9 starts. He will be battling with reshirt freshman Justin Burke and Nebraska transfer Harrison Beck for the starting job, which was still wide open at the end of the spring. The RB duo of Andre Brown and Toney Baker returns, a year after combining for over 1300 yards; Baker had 688 yards and 6 TDs, and Brown had 658 yards and 4 TDs. The top WRs are back in Darrell Blackman and John Dunlap, along with TE Anthony Hill, who led the team with 478 yards receiving. Only 2 starters are back on the OL, but there is some starting experience amongst the new guys.

3 starters return on the DL, led by DE Martrel Brown, who had 49 tackles and 7 sacks; DT DeMario Pressley had 46 tackles and 2 sacks, and DE Willie Young had 60 tackles. 1 starter returns at LB in LeRue Rumph, who had 69 tackles and 2 sacks; Ernest Jones is also back after recording 68 tackles and 2 sacks. 2 starters are back in the secondary; CB Jimmie Sutton had 49 tackles and 1 INT, and FS Miguel Scott had 63 tackles and 1 INT. The team's leading returning tackler, SS DeJuan Morgan, is also back after recording 82 tackles and 2 INTs.

My Take:

The last 3 years under Amato, the Wolfpack were mediocre at best, with 20 combined losses and 2 losing seasons. Things could really change under O'Brien, who has proven himself to be a great coach and has already coached in the ACC. If this team can put more points on the board and successfully replace their top 3 tacklers on defense, they may be a pleasant surprise this season and could become a solid bet.

On offense, they really struggled last year, and should certainly improve with everyone returning and under a new staff. The QB play will probably not be a strength, but the RBs are excellent and should form a solid running game. The WRs will more than likely improve if the QB play improves, and the OL won't be a weakness under O'Brien, who had great OL's at BC. They were fairly balanced last year but were bad in both departments, failing to rank in the top 75 nationally in either pass or run offense. I think this group is more than capable of being effective, but they really need to get solid QB play. If the QB is able to lead the offense, something that didn't happen last year, they should be much tougher to stop.

On defense, I see them being the strength of this team once again. They don't return a lot of starters, but there is some experience from guys who were backups last year, such as Jones and Morgan. The DL won't be an easy one to slow down, and Brown and Pressley should really cause some problems for opponents. They have 3 senior starters at LB, so youth is not a concern there, and the secondary should be tough as everyone saw some extensive playing time last year. This group was weak against the run last year ranking 85th nationally, and I can't help but think that's the way to beat them until they prove otherwise. They do take a major hit as Mike Archer comes in at DC, who was horrible at Kentucky and consistently fielded one of the conference's worst defenses.

Overall, I'm actually pretty impressed with this team. With the addition of O'Brien, they should be much better off, and it seems like they have all the tools in place to make it back to the postseason. Their first 3 games will determine their fate, as they must get off to a good start to maintain confidence after ending last year so poorly. Their division is wide open, and I really think they could be the team who ends up being a solid bet ATS. I'll more than likely be looking to play them as the season progresses; they probably won't get much respect coming off such a horrible season.

Better coaching, a solid defense. You cannot argue with that. I think the offense will still be somewhat ugly though. Either way the Pack are moving in right direction with the coaching change.

The game to look at is Week 2. Not a good spot for them.

I agree that week 2 is ugly spot for them.1. Will the linesmakers adjust for that ?? Will the public at large realize why it is bad for nc state ?? Does the fact that this is a bad spot for nc state make wake a bad spot for BC ??
answers :

1. only slightly
2. I have little faith in the public ( sorry joe)
3. after wakes season last year and su win over bc and first game for new coach , i think not.

What do you fellas think ?

Also, I agree with you lindy that this team may end up being a pretty solid team vs the spread this year. Though they are likely to be too large a favorite to ucf to start with and agree with BAR that they will run into a motivated bc team in week 2.

We will be playing without Anthony Hill the whole year as he had acl surgery.

Also, Mcculler on the line will likely be out for the year because of disciplinary reasons. Still havent said what his punishment will be but i look for it to be harsh.

We need to get off to a good start and I think it is a good writeup.

Tom O'Brien will get us a few more wins than we should because of his discipline. We lost so many close games last year and could have won if it weren't for penalties etc

They are going to gradually improve. They got a hell of a recruiting class brewing.

NC State as a team.. I mean what the hell can you expect from this team.. 3-9 last yr, 3-8 ATS. They upset then #20 BC and #17 FSU in back to back weeks and lose to teams like NC, ECU, Akron, and So Miss.. There was no consistency in their game. I guess with O'Brien you can expect this to change.. With 8 guys back on offense including 2 rushers over 700yds, 3 leading receivers, QB, but only 2 guys on the OL (do have 7 of top 10 back). I guess I should say 7 now on offense given that the TE is done for the yr.

If you look at how obrien recruited at academic minded BC , the sky is the limit for him at nc state and you can see that right away ( though nc state really hasnt recruited badly the last decade anyways). This team will be a challenger in years to come.

Kyle you act like there are no restrictions at nc state.. we arent ecu or akron and allow non qualifiers.

yes it is easier to recruit to a state university and also a lot easier when you have good weather and true fans who actually show up to the game and travel with the team. You should see obrien's quotes about the atmosphere when we beat bc last year on the last second td.

our recruiting has already been pretty solid this year with getting mike glennon (between us and michigan) and brandon barnes (with offers from usc of the west, auburn, clemson, vt and pretty much every other school).

NCSU will struggle this year without anthony hill and probably mcculler but in the next year or two hopefully we will be back on track with a typical obrien 10 win season

Wolfpack,
I am no knocking the nc state academic standards, i was knocking the bc standards. I am not the one who originated the thought in my head either, it was coach o brien himself. Some schools like stanford , BC and others have academic standards that make it harder for them to compete with programs that have normal standards. nc state has normal standards and I did not intend this as a slight in any way of that university. I am pointing out that obrien has indicated on numerous occasions that he was leaving bc because the admissions restrictions make it impossible to compete for a national title. At nc state, he should be able to recruit like a madman and he is a stone cold good coach. If you have read my posts on this squad , you know i think it is a program to look out for in the years ahead. So again, i apologize to anyone who took this as a swipe at nc state as a school, it was not meant that way.

No offense taken..Just glad to have a discussion with you.

In other news, the Wolfpack gets a verbal from Terrell Manning of Laurinburg, NC over offers from Florida, Bama, Tenn, VT, Clemson, Unc and others. Chose between State, VT, and Clemson.

Rated the No.85 player in the country according to scout.

Rumor is that him (Manning) and former NC player Travion Robertson have some off the field problems that is why SC got knocked out of the running. I will say that Robertson is no joke and is a beast, hard to believe this kid is a true frosh.

NC State is on their way to putting up a hell of a recruiting class.

Gamecocks vs. State on Thursday night to open college football in 2008

SC was never in the running for Manning. Main competition was Clempson.

Recruiting has really done well this year for TOB. Eager to see how he does on the field. Hopefully in a couple of years we will be good.

I will more than likely be at that game (99.8%) sure. Can't wait for that...Should be a great time.

SC was in the running for Manning, they were put out of the equation because of Travion and Manning's personal problems, its a known fact everywhere you look on the recruiting boards. SC was in the running, eventually yes, when he made his final decision it was down to State and Clemsux but don't think he wasn't considering wearing garnet and black.

All of the above is pointless now however, he will be a part of the wolfpack and he is a good get at LB, good job.

Back