• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Ole Miss vs. Alabama Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Ole Miss vs. Alabama College Football Picks for Week 5

Ole Miss Rebels vs. Alabama Crimson Tide
Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 3:30 p.m. ET (CBS) at Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Betting Strategy

Alabama's most difficult game came against Florida: the Gators were 14-point home underdogs, yet lost by only two points to Alabama.

I find this game against Florida very important to consider for Saturday's upcoming game because of the way that Florida made the game against the Crimson Tide so close.

In that game, Florida ran 15 more times than it passed and accrued 245 rushing yards.

Ole Miss is interesting because it ranks very close to the Gators in run play percentage. The Gators run with the 28th-highest frequency, Ole Miss with the 26th-highest.

However, just because a team likes to run the ball, doesn't mean that it will do so well.

Therefore, I want to look at the kind of things that Florida was able to do against Alabama and at the sort of stuff that the Rebels like to run on offense in order to answer the following question: can Ole Miss run on Alabama with the same level of success that Florida did in its upset bid?

What Florida Did Against Alabama

Video footage reveals that Florida's play-calling and scheming, led by well-reputed genius Dan Mullen, deserves a lot of credit for its offensive success against the Tide.

Something that Mullen loves to do, and does well, is create numerical advantages through movement.

He'll spread out the defense and then have a pass-catcher run a delayed route where he waits a bit before running his route.

In the game against the Tide, this delay would create a two-on-one advantage against the defense, forcing the defensive back to either attack this extra pass-catcher and leave a deeper pass open or to stay back and allow the short pass attempt to remain open.

Mullen also used motion to create a numbers advantage. For example, with 10 minutes left in the first quarter and just over 12 minutes left in the third, he sent a man in motion to block a safety on a specific side of the field in order to allow for more running room.

Something else that Mullen likes to do a lot is to stack wide receivers on one side and isolate a wide receiver on the other side in oder to create a ton of space on that side. He'll then have his running back go 1 v. 1 against the opposing linebacker.

We also saw a lot of option, taking advantage of Emory Jones' mobility.

In sum, Ole Miss, to replicate Florida's success, will want to have creative play-calling, comfort sending guys in motion when it makes sense to do so, a mobile quarterback, and versatile pass-catchers.

Ole Miss vs. Alabama Defense

My argument is that Ole Miss has what Florida has and more and can therefore even surpass the level of success that the Gators obtained against the Tide.

Video footage shows that the Rebels like to do some option, which makes sense because quarterback Matt Corral is a very able runner -- he has 158 rushing yards on 4.8 YPC so far this season.

Looking at the beginning of the Tulane and Louisville games, the Rebel offense likes to either run and then have the quarterback pretend like he still has the ball to throw or to execute a play-action.

There seems to be a lot more repetition in the Rebel play-calling than there is in Florida's. But this is ok because the Rebel offensive play-calling makes up for being easier for the defense to recognize by playing faster.

At their tempo -- they rank fourth nationally in plays per game -- they force defenses to recognize what they're doing at a faster rate. This is hard for defenses to do, especially when the faster tempo also makes them more fatigued and keeps them in the same personnel.

The Rebels will also aptly send guys in motion, like when they did so with over 13 minutes left in the first quarter against Louisville in order to fake a hand-off.

We saw in the Bama vs. Florida game that Tide safeties were often rendered powerless when the Gators had a guy in motion.

Lane Kiffin offenses are well-known for their explosiveness as Kiffin is justly regarded as a genius innovator, which is why he left Alabama for head coaching jobs in the first place.

With pass-catchers stepping up into bigger roles to gain more chemistry with Corral and with a versatile group of running backs that outcompetes all but the top Rebel wide receivers for receiving yardage, Ole Miss has the talent to make explosive plays against a vulnerable Bama defense.

Plus, the Rebels have returned a veteran offensive line this year to protect Corral. Corral is the team's biggest asset, a guy who can reliably make passes, that Florida lacked in the passing game.

Whereas Emory Jones has thrown more picks than interceptions and often fails to make routine throws, Corral has nine touchdowns to zero interceptions.

Corral's tremendously superior passing ability gives the Rebel offense an edge that Florida lacked with the frequently incompetent Jones passing the ball and trying to make correct decisions.

Rebel Defense

I know that I haven't talked about Ole Miss' defense. But this is a team that regularly scores 40+ in a game, so asking Alabama to cover a two-touchdown spread despite having to deal with this powerful Rebel offense already seems like a tall task.

But the massive improvement in Ole Miss' defense is worth observing. While people talk about Ole Miss missing its top pass-catchers from last year, the same thing can be said about Alabama's, plus the Tide break in a new young quarterback, Bryce Young.

As the game flow against Florida showed, Young can be inconsistent and his offense can go long stretches without any productivity.

The Rebels have improved about 40 spots in stats like opposing passer rating compared to last year. They locked down Louisville's Malik Cunningham especially before the game was finally out of reach -- it was 36-10 in the fourth quarter. In terms of passer rating, his worst game came against the Rebels despite garbage time help.

Best Bet: Rebels +14.5 at -108 with Heritage

The biggest issue in the Florida game was that Alabama's defense was constantly in their "rabbit" package with 2 true DL and 2 OLB playing on the line. Florida's OL was able to block Drew Sanders (OLB) 1 on 1 and let their guard/tackle block at the second level while running away from Will Anderson. Our LBs did a poor job shedding those blocks and our safeties were awful at tackling for the most part. Saban said after the game that they didn't feel comfortable abandoning the rabbit package because he didn't feel the players were comfortable enough in another scheme. Take from that what you will. My thought is that Saban wants the best players to play, and that Drew Sanders is better in his mind than a 3rd DL, but that left us susceptible to the power run game and Mullen recognized that and took advantage. This is where losing Chris Allen hurt us the most. Now obviously a totally different class of opponent, but we did use far more 3 DL on defense against S Miss this weekend than against Florida, so possibly we'll see that against the Rebs. I haven't watched Ole Miss this year really, but taking from last year's game, where they really hurt Alabama is with their tempo. If they got us in a certain personnel grouping, they were able to play high success probability plays and they were able to run them over and over again and Alabama couldn't change personnel. Kiffin is a savant when it comes to calling an offensive game, and he has a high level QB right now. And the regularity with which he goes for it on 4th down makes it very difficult to defend 3rd down because they aren't necessarily looking to get all the yards on the play. As an Alabama fan, the things I'm hopeful for is impact of the crowd (due to Covid, I don't think Corral has played in a true road environment, at least not in a couple of years), and Will Anderson. He played a little last year, but he was still getting his feet wet. I'm not as worried about our offense, even in the face of an improved Ole Miss defense, though I doubt we will gain 90% of available yards like we did last year. Should be a great game

Would be funny if a big win from Ole Miss leads to Lane going back to USC rumors. I hope he stays put and makes Ole Miss a consistently good program but you know he has his eyes on bigger jobs.

Regarding USC job…..

Think it was Kc vs Raven game…..one of the commentators said Eric Bienemy would not think about the USC job because the AD for USC now was the AD that fired the whole Colorado staff back then…….

Would be funny if a big win from Ole Miss leads to Lane going back to USC rumors. I hope he stays put and makes Ole Miss a consistently good program but you know he has his eyes on bigger jobs.
I can't imagine a reason for Lane to go back to USC. It's going to be a massive rebuilding job at a place that doesn't enjoy 10% of the support from the school and fans as a bunch of other programs in this area of the country. The only thing I could think of luring him there is a massive raise, which is unlikely to happen. Kiffin may have his eye on bigger jobs, but my guess is they are in the SEC or ACC. Wonder what he could accomplish at FSU?

I can't imagine a reason for Lane to go back to USC. It's going to be a massive rebuilding job at a place that doesn't enjoy 10% of the support from the school and fans as a bunch of other programs in this area of the country. The only thing I could think of luring him there is a massive raise, which is unlikely to happen. Kiffin may have his eye on bigger jobs, but my guess is they are in the SEC or ACC. Wonder what he could accomplish at FSU?
He's right at the top of my potential list at Miami with Freeze and Joe Brady. I'm hoping Oregon either loses a couple which I fully expect since Mario is a dunce or that he is happy there because he will surely be the first call they make after firing Mandy.

You would think this game could approach 100 points with these offenses and Mississippi having a pretty terrible defense.
I've moved Ole Miss off my defensive fade list, that first game holding down Ville is impressive enough now although the Ville play calling clearly was intended to shorten the game. Holding Tulane to 21 was a solid achievement too

I've moved Ole Miss off my defensive fade list, that first game holding down Ville is impressive enough now although the Ville play calling clearly was intended to shorten the game. Holding Tulane to 21 was a solid achievement too
UAB also held Tulane to 21 points

I’d take that Tulane game last week with a grain of salt. Sadly, huge let down playing at home after Norman and Oxford etc
I thought being first game back home would counter that. Guess not

Damn bro, do you get paid per word?!?!!! Lol. I’m sure it a good read so I’ll read it here in little bit. I been milking this last pair of contacts waiting for my new ones to arrive, can’t see shit! lol.

Just like the gators game I want to fade bama, just like that game im scared!!!!! Lol. Ol piss is Def only way I would play it, not sure if I should play now or wait for live or halftime? Bama 1st half continues to be free money, even covered 1st half in the swamp! Anytime i try to actually cap their games and don’t play bama 1st half I regret it!

I was able to get my eyes working and read the post! Lol.

I think Rebs defense the biggest difference in their squad and why I think they a legit threat to bama this year! they not world beaters by any stretch but they decent which all they really need as I don’t think anyone can stop this offense! It a real shame they don’t play Uga as I’d love to see dawgs defense vs this offense! (Maybe in the sec championship if rebs can win this game!). Rebs been particularly strong getting off the field 3rd downs, obviously they have played a couple teams who were totally outmatched but last year that really didn’t even matter much! The transfer LB they added been flying all over the field making plays.

I wish Rebs would have better sack numbers their last few games, I didn’t watch so don’t know if they been getting pressure? They did get a lot of pressure on Cunningham in week 1. The reason I liked Gators was the fact they get pressure and bama oline has yet to really gel into the dominant unit we have come to expect. Like we talked about before that game Young has been pressured on a high amount of his drop backs, his qb rating under pressure was amazing but also unsustainable, I’d love to see what his numbers were in the Gators game under pressure! (Havnt been able to find them). I think that the key to Rebs defense havinv any success. Obviously they not stopping bama, total implies neither offense getting stopped!! the key will just be which defense can make a couple splash plays in big spots. If Rebs can get pressure and force a mistake or 2 I don’t see why they won’t be right in this game!!

I think coaches' perceptions of programs and jobs have shifted significantly more than the average fan's perception of programs and jobs. USC is a top 5 program historically. However, I don't think there are many coaches who put "history" at the top of the list when considering a job, and at the moment the gap has never been smaller between the USC job and the Ole Miss job or any other middle tier SEC job. SEC money dwarfs Pac 12 money, and while USC can probably still pay more than Ole Miss, the difference isn't nearly as large as casual fans imagine it to be. With SEC expansion and the resulting revenues, there are only a handful of programs that can poach coaches from this SEC tier. Yes, there is still a ton of talent within 250 miles of USC's campus, but those kids have shown the willingness to go where the action is....and that's not the P12.

Now Oxford isn't Los Angeles, but neither is Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Baton Rouge, etc. It always comes down to a coach's individual priorities, and for Kiffin there are non-football reasons that make southern Cal really desirable. Fortunately, for Ole Miss I think Kiffn's history with USC makes him getting an offer unlikely and him taking an offer even more unlikely.

I think coaches' perceptions of programs and jobs have shifted significantly more than the average fan's perception of programs and jobs. USC is a top 5 program historically. However, I don't think there are many coaches who put "history" at the top of the list when considering a job, and at the moment the gap has never been smaller between the USC job and the Ole Miss job or any other middle tier SEC job. SEC money dwarfs Pac 12 money, and while USC can probably still pay more than Ole Miss, the difference isn't nearly as large as casual fans imagine it to be. With SEC expansion and the resulting revenues, there are only a handful of programs that can poach coaches from this SEC tier. Yes, there is still a ton of talent within 250 miles of USC's campus, but those kids have shown the willingness to go where the action is....and that's not the P12.

Now Oxford isn't Los Angeles, but neither is Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Baton Rouge, etc. It always comes down to a coach's individual priorities, and for Kiffin there are non-football reasons that make southern Cal really desirable. Fortunately, for Ole Miss I think Kiffn's history with USC makes him getting an offer unlikely and him taking an offer even more unlikely.

I just can’t see why he would leave a place he has built something really good to go to a place that while historically meaningful been a straight up mess the last 15 years?!! Besides the obvious LA < Oxford I don’t see much other reason, as you said the SEC the place to be and only getting more lopsided with the teams they bringing in! I don’t know what his ambitions are but myself personally (if I was him), I would be far more likely to explore NFL options than dealing with all that comes w usc. Again I have no idea what his long term goals are, just from outside looking in seems to me the risk of going to usc and not working doesnt out weigh the reward. I’m pretty clueless about this kinda stuff tho so nobody beat me up to bad if this way off! Lol

Rebels defense has impressed me as well. Obviously much tougher task this week, but like what I’ve seen so far. Guys flying to the ball.

Yep, imo that the biggest difference I have seen. The transfer LB (who’s name I can never remember) has made a huge impact, he reminds me of the kid Clemson used to have who really disrupted offenses! He has set the tone for the entire defense imo, they play like a group who heard all the talk of how they were holding this team back! That all I need out of a defense, play like their hair on fire!!! If they can just make a few splash plays, force a few punts on 3rd downs I think they will have a chance to win this game.

LSU is more of threat to hire Lane than USC is
That would be great to see. Lane vs Saban where Lane has roughly an equal level of talent would be great to see. As much as I like Orgeron as a person he just isn't the right guy to keep LSU at the top of college football.

That would be great to see. Lane vs Saban where Lane has roughly an equal level of talent would be great to see. As much as I like Orgeron as a person he just isn't the right guy to keep LSU at the top of college football.

Coach O isn’t the right guy to be HC at any level above high school imo! Agree he seems like great dude, I’d love for him to coach my nephews HS team! lol. Let’s be real he had amazing coordinators in the dream season.

I’m not saying it’s gonna happen but he’s definitely the name thrown around

Does lane not have nfl aspirations? Seems like a guy who could do well given another chance imo. He was super young the 1st time. Guys often need a second chance to succeed! The fact he tried once makes me think he would like to do again. Or maybe he saban? Lol

I think the three most important factors for a coach are 1) can they pay me? 2) Can I get the best players? 3) Can I win there? Yes USC can pay, but can you get the best players there anymore? Debatable, and certainly not immediately. Too much ground to make up. Can he win at USC? Almost assuredly, at least within the conference. But that won't be enough. I think Lane is in a pretty great spot as it is. I think his ceiling on winning is a little lower than some other places simply because of the division they reside in, but I could see Ole Miss becoming a perennial top 15 team with a good chance at making the playoffs, especially once it expands to 12.

I think the three most important factors for a coach are 1) can they pay me? 2) Can I get the best players? 3) Can I win there? Yes USC can pay, but can you get the best players there anymore? Debatable, and certainly not immediately. Too much ground to make up. Can he win at USC? Almost assuredly, at least within the conference. But that won't be enough. I think Lane is in a pretty great spot as it is. I think his ceiling on winning is a little lower than some other places simply because of the division they reside in, but I could see Ole Miss becoming a perennial top 15 team with a good chance at making the playoffs, especially once it expands to 12.

Agree with all that, like I said seems to me the risk he could take to his reputation at usc doesn’t seem to match the reward. He has came a long way since the raiders fiasco to where I’d think he not far away from possibly getting another crack at nfl if he wants it. I suppose if he desires to be a college lifer usc makes a little more sense. Although I don’t think pac12 where I would wanna be with all the uncertainty in the sport right now the only sire thing is sec winning.

The best thing would be for Lane to show some loyalty and stay at Ole Miss and make them a consistent top 15 program. Unfortunately I see him as a guy that will always be looking for something better and he will certainly have his choice of jobs if this season goes as well as it looks like it will.

The best thing would be for Lane to show some loyalty and stay at Ole Miss and make them a consistent top 15 program. Unfortunately I see him as a guy that will always be looking for something better and he will certainly have his choice of jobs if this season goes as well as it looks like it will.
I agree with you. The thing is, he will always be able to jump around to a decent program that is desperate. Like an AU or Tennessee level program. If he wants to go to one of the big boys, yes he'll have to show loyalty, but more importantly, he'll have to show that he can run a program year after year.

Last thing I’ll say bout usc gig. Cowherd seems to be fairly plugged in and I know he super tight with Lane and he has thrown out a lot of names none being kiffen So I doubt that a thing

Does he want to be a college lifer? The fact he tried nfl once makes me think that probably his ultimate goal. Maybe not?

How much money would USCw have to throw to equal the same lifestyle. I assume income tax in MS is bottom level of the nation vs CA that is top tier.

I agree with you. The thing is, he will always be able to jump around to a decent program that is desperate. Like an AU or Tennessee level program. If he wants to go to one of the big boys, yes he'll have to show loyalty, but more importantly, he'll have to show that he can run a program year after year.
So you think it’s an Ego thing and not much about money? Will he replace Saban once Saban retires?

So you think it’s an Ego thing and not much about money? Will he replace Saban once Saban retires?
On the first part, I'm sure it's both. Lane suffered maybe the most humiliating firing in coaching history, so I'm sure his ego has been dinged a bit. I do think he wants to be the best, or at least beat the best, so I'm not sure the west coast will be his final destination. I think he badly wants to be the first Saban assistant to beat him. He and Kirby have pretty good chances this year IMO. On the 2nd, I highly doubt it. I have a feeling that Saban will have a hand in who replaces him, and while there is a mutual respect between the two, there's also not a whole lot of love lost

Back