Oklahoma vs. Texas Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Oklahoma vs. Texas College Football Week 6 Picks and Odds Breakdown

Oklahoma Sooners vs. Texas Longhorns
Saturday, October 9, 2021 at noon ET (ABC) at Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas

Longhorn Ground Game

Running the ball is paramount to a Longhorn offense that owns the nation's 10th-highest run-play percentage.

On the ground, Texas relies primarily on its top running back, Bijan Robinson.

In his last three games, Robinson throttled TCU, Texas Tech, and Rice with over six YPC. Before those three games, he failed to reach four YPC against Arkansas.

The difference between the defensive quality of TCU, Texas Tech, and Rice on the one side and Arkansas on the other is stark.

The Horned Frog defensive line is repeatedly getting gashed with characteristically pass-heavy SMU being the last team to run over TCU before Texas did it.

Rice, like TCU, ranks outside the top 100 nationally in limiting opposing rushing yards per game.

While Texas Tech ranks somewhat higher than both Rice and TCU in the same category, it benefitted from facing low-profile teams like Florida International and Stephen F. Austin.

Robinson struggled, however, against an Arkansas squad that ranks 18th nationally in limiting opposing rushing yards.

Sooner Run Defense

Compared with Arkansas, the Sooners form a similarly tough test as they rank 15th nationally in limiting opposing rushing yards.

Run defense has absolutely benefitted from defensive coordinator Alex Grinch's rebuild of the entire Sooner defense.

The talent level is on the rise among Sooner defenders. This defense also features a lot of returning experience -- experience in terms of playing games and now also experience in Grinch's defensive system.

This depth certainly extends to both the defensive line and linebacking units, which helps explain why the Sooner run defense ranks so highly.

Unlike the Longhorn ground game, Oklahoma's run defense can make the claim to have mastered difficult tests.

For example, the Sooners shut down a Nebraska rush attack that ranks 15th nationally in rushing yards per game.

Scrambling playmaker Adrian Martinez had by far his worst game as a runner against the Sooner defense.

Running back Rahmir Johnson, since he started accruing double-digit carries for Nebraska, also had his worst rushing output. The same can be said for Gabe Ervin Jr.

Texas Offense vs. Sooner Defense

Since the beginning of the season, Texas' offensive line has been an object of scrutiny both for its run-blocking and for its inability to keep the quarterback upright let alone undeterred by pass pressures. This has been true especially against the Longhorn offense's notable test, the Razorback defense.

With veterans like Nik Bonitto and Perrion Winfrey, the Sooner defensive line is adept at achieving penetration and pressure.

The Sooner front seven will thus challenge Texas' rather unproven offensive line.

It would really help the Longhorns if quarterback Casey Thompson could challenge the Sooners deep so that the Sooner defense would have to worry about the vertical passing game in addition to concerning itself with the Longhorn rush attack.

But the numbers show that he struggles to connect on deep balls. Video footage reveals his tendency to throw off his back foot, causing deep balls to sail.

By putting too much air under his deep passes, defensive backs gain the time to recover to the ball in order to make a play.

Sooner Offense vs. Texas Defense

Texas' pass defense has a lot to worry about for ranking 97th nationally in opposing passer rating.

The Longhorns repeatedly allow opposing quarterbacks to be relatively efficient or relatively prolific against them and now they face their toughest test of the season.

One problem with Texas is its lack of pass rush. Last year, the Longhorns relied extensively on Joseph Ossai: Ossai accrued almost a third of the team's sacks.

This year, however, Ossai is gone and the player most depended upon to step up in his place, Jacoby Jones, has struggled massively.

His missed tackles and paucity of sacks is not allowing the Longhorn pass rush to pressure the quarterback as it needs to.

Sooner quarterback Spencer Rattler will consequently have plenty of time to throw in order to connect with a wide receiver in a loaded group of Sooner pass-catchers.

An All-Big 12 second-teamer last year as a freshman, Mims has established himself as Rattler's top deep target. He is also a reliable piece in screens.

Rattler also likes to lean on Jadon Haselwood, who is known among other things for his high-level contested catch rate, which his size helps him accomplish and which is evident in highlight reels.

Despite Haselwood's threat and success, he is only the team's fourth-leading receiver, which speaks to the depth and quality among OU wide receivers.

The Odds

Any observation of Oklahoma's ATS struggles this year is deceptive because the Sooners have been heavy favorites in every game.

For this game, however, the Sooners are not heavy favorites. This fact positions them very positively because, since 2017, they are 6-0 ATS when favored by fewer than seven points.

Best Bet: Sooners -3.5 at +100 with BetOnline

ugh. Now I gotta read this one cause my initial lean is Texas all day. Lol. I don’t wanna be against ya! I havnt started capping any of them yet so maybe I’ll find things I don’t like!

I’m confused that hogs run defense ranks so well cause I think the way to attack them is by running the ball (as Uga proved to be a good move). Obviously Uga real nasty up front so no shame in getting run over by them. This actually supports your case that hogs stopped the horns run game. The defenses (former mizzou coach) current Arky DC runs are usually light in the box and geared to confusing qbs and/or blocking schemes. So generally I think you gotta run on them to force them to give your qb easier looks. I really believe we will find arky current rankings against the run are inflated due to comp level or how game script played out in some cases. I know Barry odem well and I know you need to run against his defenses! Hogs passing defense numbers are super impressive and id expect that to continue. This actually supports your case cause I think it very fair to say Ou run defense is better than hogs.

The thing about the arky game with horns and what makes this kinda tough in general is Tex was still playing Card at qb. I think there a good case to be made this offense is substantially better with Thompson playing qb. The problem is we haven’t seen them vs another legit defense since this change has taken place!! That makes this more difficult.

You got any of them useful clips you used to show with Thompson throwing off back foot and sailing deep throws? I always liked when you added those during hoops (can’t recall if you have used any of those for football this year?).

Also you got any numbers on how Ou defends rb’s in pass coverage? I’d be interested in that, I’ve seen a few pretty creative ways sark has gotten Robinson in space. If I’m Sark that be my obvious counter to Ou run defense, try and get him the ball in other ways.

Sooners wouldn’t have covered this number vs wvu and only beat Tulane by 5, Nebraska by 7, k-st by 6 so think little disingenuous to say sooners ats problems simply stem cause of large spreads.

You do make some really good points overall. As I said above I think you could say without issue that Ou run defense is way better than hogs. They have def faced more good rushing attacks and didn’t have game scripts that deterred teams from running like hogs have had. Im actually little nervous about this for Texas.

Sooners wouldn’t have covered this number vs wvu and only beat Tulane by 5, Nebraska by 7, k-st by 6 so think little disingenuous to say sooners ats problems simply stem cause of large spreads.

You do make some really good points overall. As I said above I think you could say without issue that Ou run defense is way better than hogs. They have def faced more good rushing attacks and didn’t have game scripts that deterred teams from running like hogs have had. Im actually little nervous about this for Texas.

Regarding your ats point I was thinking it about Sooners underachieving vs big underdogs?

I've been trying to get to this game and been capping it in pieces. I lean Texas, but I saw 66% money and 72% tickets on Texas. FEI has Texas as a -4.5 favorite :oops:
For a team that has been as unimpressive as Oklahoma, it continued against K-St. Hovered around the number, until Oklahoma's offensive talent took over in the 2nd half. Next up is Texas. Their "new" QB, Thompson, scares me and doesn't seem to be able to complete deep passes. Pretty simple, Oklahoma will try and stop the run. If Thompson can step up, a pretty big if, Texas should win outright.

Still leaning Texas but moving more from the side to really liking the over. Both teams will play at a pretty high pace. I trust Sarkisian to attack and especially put players in space where OU is struggling to tackle. Robinson doesn't need help in space. Teams would miss him in a phone booth. Our defense isn't that good, especially susceptible at linebacker and the secondary. Feeling more and more like a 38-31 type game.

You going to be at the game, Frank? I’m flying in to DFW tomorrow morning. I’ll buy you a beer before I tell you how awful tu is. :)

I need to get there one day. One of my favorite games every year.

Make it a point to do so. It's a must. You have 92,000 people in the stadium, split right down the middle in an historic bowl sitting in the middle of a mammoth state fair. Another 200K or so show up that day w/o tickets just to be in the environment. It's a carnival like atmosphere and beyond. Doesn't matter how old I get, it's my Christmas Eve every year along with the guys I go with.

OU is complete garbage, every year they r going to win the National Championship and there defense always gets destroyed when it counts!!! All Offseason the talk was about how great the "new" OU Defense was going to be this year??? Same old Garbage OU and that glorified RB that tries to play QB is now like 500-1 to win the Heisman??? The Big 12 is so bad that this might be the last real game OU plays, but I am praying they get to the Playoff and draw Georgia??? It might be worse than the LSU beatdown a couple years ago, Bet Texas on Saturday ML!!!

I think ive come around to your side on this but it just a pass for me. I think the number short and Texas getting a ton of love for some reason, I suspect cause ppl have lost money on ou this year, lol. Prob is a decent buy low spot on Ou but I still don’t trust them cause I really dislike rattler.

OU is complete garbage, every year they r going to win the National Championship and there defense always gets destroyed when it counts!!! All Offseason the talk was about how great the "new" OU Defense was going to be this year??? Same old Garbage OU and that glorified RB that tries to play QB is now like 500-1 to win the Heisman??? The Big 12 is so bad that this might be the last real game OU plays, but I am praying they get to the Playoff and draw Georgia??? It might be worse than the LSU beatdown a couple years ago, Bet Texas on Saturday ML!!!

I get the impression you have a unhealthy bias against Ou! Lol. You killing them as if they not a perennial playoff contender, sure they not as good as bama and whichever other sec team rises up a given year but who else is? Lsu was a historically great team when they smoked sooners in the playoffs. Hard to wrap my head around saying they are “garbage” when they are often the best team outside the sec! They certainly been far better than texas over the years who you seem super excited to back!

I hate rattler so have no interest betting Ou but that defense you crushing has improved a great deal, they far better than texas on that side of the ball and as mentioned their run d has been really good which id think is kinda a big deal in this one! Ou run defense is top 15 in the country in basically every meaningful run defense metric! Ou shut down a very good nebraska rushing attack who has a similar qb as horns that ya gotta account for in run game! They took away k-st run game, wvu run game, yes you can throw on them but If horns can’t get Robinson off in the run game what is their offense gonna look like? I don’t particularly trust Thomson to beat them thru the air if the run game isn’t working. How could ya? He hasn’t been put in that position yet or played a game of this magnitude. Texas pass protection has not been good either, thompson been pressured on a very high percentage of drop backs while playing against a lot of suspect defenses since he became starter! So you hanging your hat on a kid who has made 3 starts in his career, most likely won’t have the benefit of his run game dominating, and will probably be under duress!

As much i dislike rattler he facing a really bad defense, sark gonna need a few years to get his guys on that side of the ball! Horns are allowing almost 6 yards per play and 74% completion percentage that ranks 126th in the nation! Rattler was incredibly accurate last week, I see no reason why he wouldn’t be here facing a really bad defense? I certainly understand the desire to fade Ou, that was my initial lean also, certainly fair to say worse texas teams have beaten better Ou teams in this game, that said everyone is fading Ou and doing so at a price that is several points short imo. I get Ou hasn’t been impressive but has texas? Barely beating a really bad version of tcu doesn’t give me great confidence in them. Especially when ya consider how bad tcu d is and they let Robinson run wild which I don’t think you can’t count on vs Ou stout run d.

Damn ya for making me defend Ou since as mentioned I don’t even trust them enough to play them! Lol

No sirrr, just really tired of these out of touch OU fans that think winning that terrible Big 12 is some kind of achievement??? Check LSU-OU score a couple years ago and LSU called the dogs off in the 4th Quarter!!!

No sirrr, just really tired of these out of touch OU fans that think winning that terrible Big 12 is some kind of achievement??? Check LSU-OU score a couple years ago and LSU called the dogs off in the 4th Quarter!!!

Lsu was a historically great team! They smashed a very good clemson team also. I don’t really know any Ou fans or pay attention to any fan message boards so I don’t really know what they say. Seems crazy to let dislike of fans influence your money tho! I mean they not playing the SEC this weekend, they playing one them big12 teams you say not a accomplishment to beat! Know what I’m saying? Texas defense is bad man, and Ou run d is solid. I’m not trying to convince you Ou is great, I have plenty of doubts myself, they certainly not on bama or Uga level, but they playing another team who got destroyed by Arkansas! I just wouldn’t go too crazy here cause I dislike some fans, I think this line should prob be closer to 7.

last nugget that should scare anyone as a texas backer,, in the SBR big pick 6 contest horns being picked at a 34-7 clip!! (ppl use a lot more nfl than college for some reason, this one the higher picked ncaa games thus far, iowa the only i see with more love!!)...

Did I ever say I was betting Texas??? I will probably have a small play on the over because Texas Defense is bad and I think Texas will throw a lot more in this game!!!

What a game. I was on the 25 at the OU end zone. Was probably the wildest scenes I’ve seen live at a sporting event.

Back