Oklahoma vs. Texas Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Texas vs. Oklahoma: NCAAF Week 6 Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma Sooners
Saturday, October 10, 2020 at noon ET at Cotton Bowl (FOX) in Dallas

Overrated

I cannot figure out why the Sooners are favored in this one.

Erase all preconceptions that you have of this team. This is not the star-studded Lincoln Riley offense of years past with Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray plus NFL-caliber wide receivers and strong running backs.

Rather, this offense is ridden by depletion at the skill positions plus an inexperienced and unreliable quarterback.

This is, in turn, the porous Oklahoma defense that we’ve seen in previous years.

Because the Sooners are what they are right now, they are tied with Kansas in the Big 12 standings.

Sam Ehlinger vs. Spencer Rattler

Experience is meaningful here because this is Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger’s fourth Red River Rivalry contest while it is only Rattler’s first.

This difference in experience will grow more perceptible in the context of making mistakes.

Whereas Ehlinger enjoys long streaks without throwing any interceptions and has thrown two this year to 14 touchdowns, Rattler has thrown four interceptions in two Big 12 contests.

Rattler is not just turning the ball over. But if you look at the course of his last games, you’ll notice that his turnovers are also ill-timed. He doesn’t come up big when it counts.

Sam Ehlinger’s passing numbers look down a tiny bit this year because Texas just played TCU. He and the rest of his Longhorns struggle annually against the Horned Frogs.

But even in that game he demonstrated his ceaseless potential to accrue big passing plays.

As PFF’s statistics attested last season, Ehlinger is one of the nation’s best at accomplishing so-called „big-time throws.“ He’s one of the most efficient passers overall, under pressure, and on crossing routes.

Longhorn Wide Receivers vs. Sooner Cornerbacks

Something that stands out is size. Whereas the Sooners foreground a bevy of 5-10 corners, Texas continues to enjoy stockpiling taller receivers, climaxing with the 6-4 Brennan Eagles.

The Sooner pass defense is blowing coverages, failing assignments, making other sorts of mistakes, and struggling in general. After all, they rank 126th in average opposing passer rating.

Their pass defense numbers should be substantially better given the quality of opposing quarterbacks faced.

For Kansas State, especially, Skylar Thompson completed 72 percent of his passes. This stat is telling because he is typically an inefficient quarterback. Last year, he completed 70 percent of his passes only against Bowling Green and Nicholls.

So what’s OU going to do with Texas’ bevy of receivers? Ehlinger is now three games into the season and has developed chemistry with a notable variety of wide receivers.

Former national top-50 recruit Josh Moore leads the group in receptions and yards. He has nice speed, but was recruited probably primarily for his route-running ability.

Moore typifies the comfort with executing crossing routes that Ehlinger loves to take advantage of and is amazing at doing so.

Former five-star recruit Jordan Whittington has returned to practice already and looks to be available for Saturday’s game.

Running Game Comparison

Spencer Rattler lacks support partly because Oklahoma is depleted at running back. Trey Sermon left for Ohio State and Kennedy Brooks opted out of this season.

OU has one running back who averages over 3.8 YPC, Seth McGowan, a freshman whose still modest numbers are inflated by the team’s opener against Missouri State.

In contrast, Keaontay Ingram returns for Texas, looking to accrue over five YPC again and Roschon Johnson adds quality depth with his five YPC.

Last year, Johnson stepped up big when Ingram went down to injury and he’s been huge in other games, such as when he amassed 95 yards on eight carries against Oklahoma.

As for Texas’ run-blocking, in addition to returning starters, top-level quality exists in the form of All-Big 12 left tackle Samuel Cosmi.

They’ll thrive against a Sooner run defense that ranks among the nation’s poorer units and has struggled against the only Big 12 feature back that it’s had to encounter.

The Verdict

Texas possesses the experience at quarterback, the depth and quality at running back, and the superior variety at wide receiver to gash Oklahoma’s defense.

In terms of total defense and other measurements, there’s no reason to think that Texas’ defense is worse than Oklahoma’s.

The point is that with fewer mistakes and more drive-by-drive productivity, the Longhorns will outpace the Sooners.

There is not much value to be found in the Longhorns’ moneyline, which is available at +100. We may as well just take the free points.

Best Bet: Longhorns +2 (-115) with BetOnline

Yes, Texas should beat OU. But Texas should be doing a lot of things right now and it isn't. I can't run fast enough from this game and will just sit back and watch a (likely) trainwreck unfold.

Certain to be a surreal day in Dallas. Typically, 92,000 in the stadium and another 100,000 just outside the stadium at the State Fair. 25,000 total attendance this Saturday at the game and no Fair. Weird times.

I expect to have a bet on Texas. Your First statement was mine as well "why is OU favored?" Not that I think Texas should be, it just seems like a PR/point spread toss up.

I've read some Sooner reporter and fan thoughts and while it may be surprising they are 1-2 (really no excuse for losing that K St game), the personnel they are fielding makes it believable they are in fact 1-2.

Rattler's youth and inexperience does show in big pressure packed moments, he is still pretty good in the rest of the game. Certainly Ehlinger is quite a bit more all around and trustworthy QB even though he got off to an awful start last week.

I think OU's OL is weak, their WRs are underwhelming and their D can be had time and time again. RB isn't necessarily a problem for OU except a more seasoned RB may know how to handle a poor blocking OL.

Both teams have warts, no doubt this still has a chance to be a super fun game if some luster has gone. I'll back Ehlinger and a Texas team that is modestly better in some of the personnel spots.

Agree with all the above and already took Texas +2. Texas seems to play down to whatever level there opponent is so this one may be close, but based on personnel there's no reason Oklahoma should be favored.

Leaving aside the inexperienced QB, ordinary RBs, and lack of a game breaker at WR, the O-Line at OU looks so fat and out of shape they got manhandled by Kansas State by the time the 4th quarter rolled around. I have no idea why OU--or any other team for that matter--thinks it's a good idea to let O-lineman be so fat they look like they need a motorized scooter to shop at Walmart., but OU has a couple who are so fat they couldn't even move by the fourth quarter of both conference games they lost.

A couple of weeks ago when the conventional wisdom was the O-line was going to be good, ESPN had a piece showing them working out. Some of them had their shirts off and they were carrying at least 50 pounds of blubber. No wonder they have so many penalties, although since both OU and Texas rank in the bottom 10 in both total penalties and penalty yards per game it should equal out this week.

This is ALWAYS the biggest game for OU and everyone on the campus talks about it from the first minute they arrive back in the fall so I don't see the Sooners coming out flat, and they can be competitive with any Big 12 team, but Ehlinger will be the best player on the field and will have a picnic against the OU defense so I took the points

And for those trend bettors out there you'll love this one--Texas is 6-0-1 both SU and ATS when the state fair is not being held during the game,

Unfortunately for trend bettors, the last time it happened was during WWII

And for those trend bettors out there you'll love this one--Texas is 6-0-1 both SU and ATS when the state fair is not being held during the game,

Unfortunately for trend bettors, the last time it happened was during WWII
For someone who thinks they know everything about this game and has been 37 of the last 38 years (sitting out this one), the above is something I certainly did not know. :clapping2:

Watching a condensed replay of TCU-Texas on Longhorn Network. Texas defense looks as bad as I remember it looking Saturday. But the penalties the Texas offense faced in the first quarter alone...negated two huge plays; wheel route pass to Ingram for 47y negated by ineligible downfield, Texas had to punt. Then 34y pass to WR Smith wiped out by O PI and created a 3rd-and-25, but Texas did convert and went on for TD after that one. The refs picked up two flags that appeared to be a TCU O holding (on their first TD drive) and a TCU D PI in the 1st quarter. Should've known it would be a weird game with 3 penalties on the opening kickoff (one negating a 97y Texas KO return). Texas hit TCU QB late twice in the first 20 minutes of the game, once when TCU would've punted on 4th and 12, instead TCU got go on for a FG. Later in the game another ineligible downfield negated a 26y Texas play they'd punt on. Not just some big penalties, but repeat big penalties, doing the same thing wrong instead of fixing it. Ehlinger threw that INT before HT and Ehlinger facing a blitz thought the WR was running a slant, but the WR ran a double move instead. Ehlinger blamed himself. Happened with 1 minute left, led to TCU FG.

Makes me a little worried thinking of backing them this week. Saving grace is Oklahoma has their own basket of problems, but man, Texas has a lot of work to do!

On a positive note, Texas did play some good D when TCU was in the RZ limiting Frogs to several FGs that otherwise could;ve been TDs. So it wasn't all bad for Texas D.

You know, Max Duggan reminds me a lot of Elhinger. I like the Duggan kid, but I like Sam too.

For someone who thinks they know everything about this game and has been 37 of the last 38 years
Hope you watched ESPN today. They showed reruns of the '78 and '84 OU/Texas games and it was a pleasure to watch. Both teams loaded with talent, great players at every position, bullet proof defenses, some of the hardest hitting of any games ever, and both teams beautifully coached.

OU won in '78 behind Billy Sims, the greatest RB in OU history, they tied 15-15 in '84 when the teams came into the game 1 and 2 in the polls.

Keith Jackson broadcasting both games. Said Texas insiders were saying the '84 defense was the greatest Texas had ever had up to that point, and boy, they looked the part. Big, fast, tough, smothered OU the entire game

They didn't have instant replay in those days and the '84 game was where OU intercepted a pass to win the game and the officials ruled the OU DB was out of bounds. Replays showed he was clearly in and Barry Switzer still gets excited and starts yelling about it to this day when anyone mentions it

One of the things that stands out most about watching those games is the players were really big guys, but no fatsos on either team. Not one fat lineman on either team, offense or defense.

I think they are going to be replaying other Red River games the rest of the week

Last edited:
Hope you watched ESPN today. They showed reruns of the '78 and '84 OU/Texas games and it was a pleasure to watch. Both teams loaded with talent, great players at every position, bullet proof defenses, some of the hardest hitting of any games ever, and both teams beautifully coached.

OU won in '78 behind Billy Sims, the greatest RB in OU history, they tied 15-15 in '84 when the teams came into the game 1 and 2 in the polls.

Keith Jackson broadcasting both games. Said Texas insiders were saying the '84 defense was the greatest Texas had ever had up to that point, and boy, they looked the part. Big, fast, tough, smothered OU the entire game

They didn't have instant replay in those days and the '84 game was where OU intercepted a pass to win the game and the officials ruled the OU DB was out of bounds. Replays showed he was clearly in and Barry Switzer still gets excited and starts yelling about it to this day when anyone mentions it

One of the things that stands out most about watching those games is the players were really big guys, but no fatsos on either team. Not one fat lineman on either team, offense or defense.

I think they are going to be replaying other Red River games the rest of the week

Yeah, having the Longhorn Network gives you all these games, and more.

The '84 game was my 3rd in the series. Monsoon-like rains. Playing on that old Astroturf (essentially concrete) and the players were sliding around on it like ice. OU got screwed on the end zone pick that should have sealed the game.

I actually think the '83 defense was the best in Texas history. Just a juggernaut. Took em to the brink of a national title before losing 10-9 to Georgia in the Cotton Bowl.

The guys playing back then were just, in general, so much tougher and nasty. I watch some of the old Texas / OU games and the hitting, venom and nastiness was at a different level in that day.

I know his dog record is fantastic as well but can’t remember if that a dog of any size or when they td or bigger dogs?
Not sure. His team just seem to play better when no one is expecting them to do so.

If we don't win w/ a senior QB playing OU for his 5th time, and with OU having a pretty green freshman, then we never will. Rattler does get a break with the crowd situation tomorrow - under normal circumstances that game is as charged up as anything in college football. Tough place for a young QB. But tomorrow the Bowl will be mostly empty, almost like a game in a Nuclear Winter.

Seems to me in a casual listening sense that average Joe's taking Texas. More serious types taking Oklahoma.

Back