Oklahoma State vs West Virginia Preview

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, Amigos. I am glad that our amazing mods put an end to the vitriolic controversy and that we can just get back to the best activity ever, capping and talking about games with a lot of smart people. Thanks for reading and contributing. Feel free to discuss and BOL!

Mountaineers Can't Keep Up With Cowboys

#22 West Virginia (5-2) hosts #11 Oklahoma State (6-1) this Saturday at 12:00 PM ET. Oklahoma State is favored by 7 points.

Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph utilizes his pocket presence to make good decisions. He has 19 touchdowns to just 4 interceptions. He ably executes a variety of short and intermediate throws. Rudolph chose to stay for his senior year in order to improve his accuracy by longer throws. Since 2015, Rudolph is consistently improving in this area. Currently, the Cowboys rank 5th with 16.5 yards per pass completion.

Rudolph can rely on his receivers when he occasionally fails to optimally locate his pass. James Washington stayed for his senior year to work on his catch-technique and drop issues and it's working. Washington is second in the FBS with 914 receiving yards. He plays well above his size and, with his body control and physical intangibles, can compete for balls thrown within a vast range of himself. His route-running skills also consistently help him to create early separation from defenders.

While Rudolph and Washington are fine-tuning their skills for the NFL, West Virginia's defense is essentially starting over. Defensive Coordinator Tony Gibson relies on a 3-3-5, max- coverage scheme. Gibson hopes to rely on the experience of his defensive backs to give the opposing offense a variety of different looks and disguises.

However, imparting this complex scheme to defenders is difficult. West Virginia lost 7 defensive backs, a significant linebacker and all 3 starting defensive linemen in the offseason. Gibson's dense playbook creates a learning curve that forces him to limit and soften the complexity of his defense and thus become less threatening.

Meanwhile, Oklahoma State's offense, led by seniors Rudolph and Washington, have evolved since their 2015 defeat at West Virginia. They develop more multi-snap counts and multi-formations in order to confuse opposing defenses as to what play they are running. Their well-tuned run/pass option matches up well with a Gibson-led defense that gladly alternates between a linebacker blitz naturally vulnerable to the intermediate pass plays at which Rudolph thrives and a max coverage that running back Justice Hill, who averages 5.4 yards per carry, can exploit.

West Virginia's defensive scheme relies most on its secondary, which suffered the largest offseason turnover. In their last 3 games against Big 12 opponents, WVU has allowed an average passer rating of 154, which would place them outside the top 100.

Teams pass on West Virginia with especially high frequency, 51% of the time in the last 3 games, because they have identified their defensive weakness. In games this season where Hill has 20+ carries, the Cowboys are 0-3 ATS. But, they won't need to rely on Hill against West Virginia. WVU is 114th in allowing 14.2 pass yards per completion. Against Power-5 teams, when Rudolph averages less than 10 yards per completion in a game, he is 0-2 this season ATS. When he averages more, he is 2-0 ATS.

The Mountaineers' defensive line struggles with penetration and run stuffing. Their sack percentage ranks 100th with 4.42% They rank 108th in allowing 5.2 yards per rush.

The Verdict

West Virginia's devolved defense can't stop a significantly more experienced Oklahoma State offense that is prolific in its quarterback play, its depth at wide receiver, its protection and its offensive balance provided by Hill. The evolved Cowboys are hungry for execution after a rare disappointment last week at Texas.

Defensively, the Cowboys return a solid front 7. They rank 21st in rush yards allowed per play. Their defensive backs are responding to offseason skeptics and rank 19th in opposing quarterback rating.

NCAAF Pick: Oklahoma State -7

Last edited:
Something in OSU's favor, from where I sit, OSU was more impressive vs TTech than that final indicated. And last week by memory they outgained Texas by 140-160y, but had some poor RZ possessions. They had a first and goal at the 1 and settled for a FG. The play before Rudolph made a wrong read and threw a quick post that was well covered and dropped. Had he seen, there was a wide open guy in the flat for the easiest TD the guy would've ever caught. They also fumbled near the RZ if not in it on their second drive after already leading 7-0.

But not sure I play this game.

I do feel that WVU O can hold their own. WVU D, well that is another matter.

Thanks for the added info s--k. I agree that Grier has been super impressive, nice pair of receivers, respectable running back combo. But not the same skill level as OSU's and against a more difficult defense without nearly the same problems in turnover as WVU's defense, which has really devolved because of said turnover, major major turnover. I think the match-up favors OSU as well. I think the Cowboys run away with this one.

Article is up! Took forever to bring it down to 600 words. Especially with the trends and statistical numbers required to satisfy my bosses, who are not so much x and o guys. Obviously had to leave out stuff. I'm supposed to focus on the key angle (OSU's O vs WVU's pass D). Hopefully the research is helpful to the forum. I enjoy watching film. Thanks

My biggest thing here is Gundy...

Is he gonna be stubborn and force the run down their throats or use the attack that actually scores them points? He nearly cost them a win last week being stubborn(again). He is being very weird this year.

Had an idea, since you are always saying you have to cut content to satisfy the 600 word count, do you do a draft whit the additional info and then delete parts of it? If so you could post the full "long" version here if it is more to your liking.

In games this season where Hill has 20+ carries, the Cowboys are 0-3 ATS. But, they won't need to rely on Hill against West Virginia.

Now that is an interesting thing there.

Well, the West Virginia run D may look inviting to Pokes.

Thanks for the idea Amigo. I do have longer drafts with additional words. But I do shoot now for 600 words. So the "length" is not so much due to extra analysis or detail as words that don't need to be said. I'm sometimes not hammering points across that i'd like to for more clarity.

Had an idea, since you are always saying you have to cut content to satisfy the 600 word count, do you do a draft whit the additional info and then delete parts of it? If so you could post the full "long" version here if it is more to your liking.

Now that is an interesting thing there.

Well, the West Virginia run D may look inviting to Pokes.
Great stat.

Totally backs up what I am saying.

Now, why has Gundy changed? He kept doing that in TCU game (I get they needed to rest the defense but still) too.

Use your weapons and let that open up the run game. They would be so more potent in these games against better teams.

One thing to be considered with Oklahoma State is they are crippled in the O-Line. They lost one of their best for the season (I think it was against TCU), have been down an additional two starters for the last few games, and have a couple who are questionable again this week.

The O-line and D-line are almost always the weakest units for teams like Oklahoma State. They don't get their pick of recruits and there are not enough big hogs to go around, so it's hard for Oklahoma State to ever get any depth. The O-line has been a problem area for Ok State the last few years. They bring in Juco linemen every year trying to build depth, but it's hard to find big guys who can play at the top level.

They always seem to have good receivers and backs and QBs, at least most years, but Gundy talks all the time about the problems recruiting the big boys.

The problems with the O-line is why Oklahoma State struggled against the Texas pass rush. They couldn't give Rudolph much time. I think they may have the same problem this week.

Last edited:
I agree that the right side of OSU's line caused them a lot of problems vs TCU and that their current health is the offense's number 1 worry. But I don't think West Virginia's pass rush can be compared to what the physical and fast front seven of Texas under Orlando can achieve. And is Rudolph really going need that much time to throw a dig, out or the various other quick intermediate routes? Then you have the multi-count snaps, for instance, which is just one way to throw off an opposing pass rush. And for good measure a WVU defense that is susceptible to giving up big pass plays. Of course it's hard to replace a lineman during the game (as was necessary both vs tcu and texas) and then your qb deals with a small injury, but the backups can only improve as time goes on. But against Texas Tech, right after facing TCU, the offense put together 41 points. Rudolph was 27/38 376 yards and Hill averaged over 5 ypc. The linemen listed as questionable can obviously only make things better by playing.

Last edited:
Sat

OCT 28 PM Rain
68°41°
70%
S 8 mph 58%

Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming cloudy with periods of rain later in the day. High 68F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Sat Night

OCT 28 Rain
41°
100%
WSW 6 mph 83%

Rain. Low 41F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Rainfall around a half an inch.

I'm ok with this forecast for points

So yeah s-k this is what i'm talking about. No way I can afford to cast doubt on the pass protection and stay under 600 words and I have to appear confident, not go on trying to explain away potential doubts. So I just call the protection prolific based on very solid sack percentage allowed ranking. But the positive is that other experts on the forum can fill that in.

My biggest thing here is Gundy...

Is he gonna be stubborn and force the run down their throats or use the attack that actually scores them points? He nearly cost them a win last week being stubborn(again). He is being very weird this year.

Orlando was basically begging OSU to run last week as Texas was committing 6 to 7 guys in pass coverage - weren't about to let OSU beat them deep or even intermediate. Watching that game you saw that pretty much every time Rudolph went back to throw, his head was immediately spinning. Texas basically suffocated them in the air, as confused and contained as you'll ever see that offense. (And as mentioned, it didn't help that OSU line is beaten up and Texas was getting a lot of pressure on an immobile Rudolph, thus Gundy even more reticent to throw.)

Its not like OSU lacks talent in the backfield. They can run on WVU. I has Texas in that game and in fact in the past three weeks, their defense has a lot of phsical talent and potential under wvu. Texas and TCU (who I also took vs OK St) are on a different level especially against a pass-heavy team like OSU.

But I do have to say at least from the film i've seen on Rudolph he's very good at moving in the pocket, in that sense he has proven to numerous scouts to be mobile.

I get that RPO requires time to execute. I just don't see WVU having the personal to exploit. As little as TT or Baylor. Nor having the run stuffing ability to be able to disrespect Justice Hill

Last edited:
Just to echo what has already been said and to build upon that, Texas often was getting pressure with just 3 rushers.

I have missed wherever on the radio it is I usually hear Gundy during the week, but watched the Texas rewind on Longhorn Network.

Quite a few times they not just had 6-7 dropping back, but even had 7-8 in pass coverage...on 1st downs sometimes, not always clear passing downs. They would let the front 3 beat their man on the OL (which they did often) and let Jefferson spy or blitz or play middle zone coverage.

If WVU employs the same strategy OSU will definitely want to run because you can run on WVU has shown they can be run on alot. WVU probably doesn't have the personnel to be successful with that Texas strategy as well.

Texas told their defenders they had to beat their blocks because they were not going to have any more than 3-5, players available to stop the run. Fortunately the Texas front 3 did outstanding (or the OSU OL did bad). Texas 100% was there to take away the pass and relied on their outnumbered defenders to win and they did. It got OSU out of their game and comfort zone for sure. It worked in the sense that it made life hard on them, but they had lots of missed chances. 10 pts on 428 yards in regulation.

But the biggest key was OSU RZ issues - fumble from the T14, 1st and goal at the 1 had to kicked FG, missed FG from the T12. 3 pts on those 3 trips inside the 15.

With all that, I doubt that whatever strategy WVU employs they can get the results Texas did and it will be hard to duplicate the struggles OSU had scoring in the RZ when they got there. But I also think WVU is better equipped on offense to stay in the game. So out of WVU a worse D result and a better O result could still lead to a competitive game, maybe a 1 score game. Or it could be OSU is up by 1 score and gets another one late and WVU isn't able to respond, runs out of time or SOD or something. Or WVU could win.

Not sure I have a side to play on in this game, I could see alot of different things happening.

I think a spread offense is able to execute than to defend because so many things can go wrong for the defense on a single play. I think it's important to note the missed opportunities that were there and the points left on the table even vs Texas. But I think Pokes' D constantly gets overrated because of their sexy O. WVU isn't the team to wear out a D like TCU did with all that time of possession. They will air it out, they rank too 25 in pass play %, and I don't see osu losing to its own strength

Keep an eye on the injury report for Ok State. Brad Lundblade is listed as merely an "OL," but he is the starting center. I always rate the center as second most valuable player to lose after QB and it really hurt against Texas when Ok State lost him. Like most centers he calls all the signals for the line and when he went out he was replaced by a true freshman, the only true center on the roster behind Lundblade.

Of course, Gundy will probably not reveal anything until the game starts, but sometimes news leaks out.

WVU homer/season ticket holder here.

I agree with everything you guys have said about the defense. The only saving grace could be that we finally generated a pass rush last week, albeit against Baylor. If that is the start of a trend, the defense will improve as that is what Gibson's defensive playbook is dependent on. Personally, I don't see us stopping OK State much. The WVU offense has been throwing at will but the run game has been inconsistent, which is very surprising. Crawford has been banged up and trying to play through it. If the coaches use more McKoy and Pettaway Saturday, it should be more effective. The return of the run game will make the WVU offense extremely difficult to defend. The biggest advantage in nearly every WVU game goes to the opponent on special teams. That can be costly in close games. Lastly, the home field advantage should play a role as long as WVU doesn't come out and lay an egg from the beginning. That's a tough trip for these teams and it does get rowdy in Morgantown for big games, whether they be at noon or 8 pm. Just my thoughts on the game. As for my play, I took WVU +8 and the over, assuming WVU will score. If they can keep it close I'll have odds of winning both. To blow WVU out I believe OSU will need to score and score some more, which is very possible. In my mind, I could very possibly win both bets, but one covers the other with the likelihood I don't lose both.

Back