Oklahoma -6 over Texas is bargain.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

majent

Oklahoma Sooners
The Sooners are not necessarily bigger, but they are faster AND stronger.

Half of Oklahoma's team is from Texas. Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer used to raid Texas and get many of the top players in the state, and then they'd get the best players who were snubbed by UT and turn them into monsters on the field who used their hatred of UT against the 'Horns. Texas Longhorn players are nice, skilled athletes........but Oklahoma Sooners players run and hit with an intensity that mirrors the tenacity and passion of their coach. Mack Brown and Bob Stoops are both great coaches, but Stoopsie has that extra something that Mack does not have. That *extra something* resonates in his players.

Oklahoma's offensive-line with 5 senior returners, the quarterback Bradford and skill players, are amongst the best I have ever seen in Norman, and I have been following the program closely every year since 1986. The defense, while young, has speed everywhere and can really hit. They make up for any potential mistakes with tremendous closing speed and ferocity when they arrive at the scene of the ballcarrier. The Sooner D will have more answers for Texas's O than Texas's D will have for the Sooner O. Needless to say, the Sooner ST's leaves a bit to be desired, but these are correctable mistakes.

I see the game being close for a half, possibly 3 quarters, before the superior Oklahoma talent takes over.....

I'll pick the OKLAHOMA SOONERS to win by 14+

anybody know how the crowd will be? I know it's played in Houston, so more Texas fans there?

anybody know how the crowd will be? I know it's played in Houston, so more Texas fans there?

Game is played in dallas at the state fairgrounds.

The distance is equal between norman oklahoma and austin texas.

The people from oklahoma drive their homes to the game.

Half the stadium is filled with Oklahoma fans and the other half is filled with their employers.

It is an interesting atmosphere and the fans hate eachother.

Texas seems to win every year that I don't go and seems to lose the years I do go.

I am not going this year.

Line seems about right to me.

The game is always played in Dallas, not Houston. Norman is 171 miles from Dallas. Austin is 181 miles from Dallas.

The crowd is always split, 50-50. Half the tickets go to Oklahoma, the other half go to Texas. There is literally a line at the 50-yd line on each side of the field where the Red stops, and turns to Orange. The stadium is half-red and half-Orange. At the 50-yd line I just mentioned, Sooner fans and Horn fans sit side by side for the entire game. I can only imagine what is spoken (and probably thrown) between the fans during the game.

The intensity of this game and this rivalry is second to none in college football. Some rivalries can equal the Red River Shootout, but none can surpass it.

I like the Sooners a little bit this week as well; just gonna watch and pull for OU though since I have them Over 10 wins this year for the season. With all due respect to TCU, I consider this their first real hurdle.

Good luck on the Sooners and the rest of your card this weekend Majentic.

Half the stadium is filled with Oklahoma fans and the other half is filled with their employers.

:36_11_6:

i actually agree with the op. TX hasn't played anyone. OU has a better running game. OU's OLine can and will keep Bradford clean. Texas secondary won't be able to cover them. Plus I don't trust Mack Brown at all in this game.

ya meant dallas, sounds like it's going to be a good game. Thats pretty sweet the crowd is split like that.

ya meant dallas

Don't worry about it; easy to mix Texas cities up since they're all filled with Yahoooos.

I dont quite think this is a bargain, but hasn't this game been decided by DD 9/10 years for the winner.

horses...get fuct.

UT hasn't played anyone...but OU has?

That's why they play the game. 7 points on a neutral field seems about right to me. Should be a close one.

If everyone recalls, last year OU was supposed to absolutely KILL them. But after the first series for both teams is was apparent that we were in for a close game.

Mack Brown is a recruiter, I wouldn't worry about him getting in the way.

Muschamp has UT defense playing w/ serious intensity.

I dont quite think this is a bargain, but hasn't this game been decided by DD 9/10 years for the winner.

Incorrect about the bargain part. Regardless of the final result, PRE KICK-OFF, this is a bargain. How it plays out, only the Football Gods know. On paper, Oklahoma is significantly more than 6 pts better than Texas on a neutral field. Again, that's on paper.

Correct about the game being decided by DD's in the last decade, except for last yr, when OU won by 7 as about a 12 pt favorite.

Recently, the winner of this game has typically won in style because the rivalry is so fierce, and when one team has an edge in skill/talent, it magnifies itself. When two teams are both equally fired up emotionally, the differential is the typically the talent. OU has a style that has given Texas problems, aside from 2005 and 2006. OU has won 6 of the last 8 games.

This OU team in 2008 is the strongest offensive team I have seen in Norman in many years. It all starts with the O-Line, which is extremely talented and their cohesivenes is unmatched by other O-lines around the country.

Incorrect about the bargain part. Regardless of the final result, PRE KICK-OFF, this is a bargain. How it plays out, only the Football Gods know. On paper, Oklahoma is significantly more than 6 pts better than Texas on a neutral field. Again, that's on paper.

Correct about the game being decided by DD's in the last decade, except for last yr, when OU won by 7 as about a 12 pt favorite.

Recently, the winner of this game has typically won in style because the rivalry is so fierce, and when one team has an edge in skill/talent, it magnifies itself. When two teams are both equally fired up emotionally, the differential is the typically the talent. OU has a style that has given Texas problems, aside from 2005 and 2006. OU has won 6 of the last 8 games.

This OU team in 2008 is the strongest offensive team I have seen in Norman in many years. It all starts with the O-Line, which is extremely talented and their cohesivenes is unmatched by other O-lines around the country.

I'm not a great college football mind, but wasn't OU in a funk those two years? Wasn't that the end of the Jason White era?

I do agree with you on the Oklahoma side, def for me its them or no play.

horses...get fuct.

UT hasn't played anyone...but OU has?

That's why they play the game. 7 points on a neutral field seems about right to me. Should be a close one.

If everyone recalls, last year OU was supposed to absolutely KILL them. But after the first series for both teams is was apparent that we were in for a close game.

Mack Brown is a recruiter, I wouldn't worry about him getting in the way.

Muschamp has UT defense playing w/ serious intensity.

Last year's spread should have been 6. You did not see me post last season because I felt that it would be closer game than the spread indicated.

This year's spread should be 12.

Neither team has really played anyone yet. Texas's D only returned 4 starters, and their inexperienced secondary has been protected by a strong front 7 who has pinned their collective ears back and crushed some very bad teams.

Texas will miss WR Nate Jones and TE Jermichael Finley in this game, not to mention Jamaal Charles. Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley are nice WR's, but the OU Secondary matches up well with them. No Texas RB can match what Charles did last season. The burden falls on McCoy, and while he can run roughshot on the FAU's, UTEP's, and Rice's of the world, he will not be able to run the ball against the Sooner D.

When your leading rusher is a QB with average speed, you are in big trouble against a D as fast as OU's.

No one is picking Texas to win this game... and they admit that then continue to pick Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma is getting absolutely pounded... I think Texas wins or loses in the last couple minutes.

Last time OU played a decent foe on a nuetral field they got WAXED.

7 points in a rivalry game on a neutral field seems about right.

2007: Oklahoma favored by 12, Oklahoma wins by 7
2006: Texas favored by 3.5, Texas wins by 18
2005: Texas favored by 14, Texas wins by 33
2004: Oklahoma favored by 7, Oklahoma wins by 12
2003: Oklahoma favored by 6, Oklahoma wins by 52
2002: Texas favored by 3, Oklahoma wins by 11
2001: Texas favored by 3, Oklahoma wins by 11
2000: Texas favored by 3, Oklahoma wins by 49

in THIS rivalry game, the talent differential gets magnified because both teams bring their all, and both teams wana kill the other team, not just beat them. other than last season, the game decided by DD 7 of the past 8 seasons.

in think 2008's version follows suit

I'm not a great college football mind, but wasn't OU in a funk those two years? Wasn't that the end of the Jason White era?

I do agree with you on the Oklahoma side, def for me its them or no play.

In 2005, OU was in full rebuild mode and Texas had God playing quarterback (Vince Young). That 05 Texas team was incredible.

In 2006, OU expected to bring Rhett Bomar back but he got kicked off the team in the Summer. Paul Thompson was good, not great QB. OU had several turnovers that day. Not sure that Texas was that much better. Both teams were down a bit that season. Texas lost VY from the previous yr as Colt McCoy was starting his first yr.

What about LY when OU was one of the best teams in the country and they couldn't cover the # vs. a "bad" Texas team?

What about LY when OU was one of the best teams in the country and they couldn't cover the # vs. a "bad" Texas team?

Oklahoma was starting a first yr QB, Texas was starting a 2nd yr QB. Who is saying Texas was "bad" last yr? In 2007, Texas returned 13 starters from a team that went 10-3 in 2006. Oklahoma was a bit overrated going into last yr's RR game, and Texas was a bit underrated. I knew this, so I did not post a pick.

This yr, I believe the spread is overrating Texas a bit. The burden falls on McCoy's shoulders. He has no RB that has stepped up to help in the running game. They will miss Jamaal Charles dearly in this game.

No one is picking Texas to win this game... and they admit that then continue to pick Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma is getting absolutely pounded... I think Texas wins or loses in the last couple minutes.

Last time OU played a decent foe on a nuetral field they got WAXED.

No one may be picking Texas, but some heavy hitters are betting Texas because the line opened OU -6.5, moved to -7, then dropped down to -6.

Somebody, or many somebody's, like Texas to keep this close.

I do not.

Few notes about this game:

- Last year was the first game NOT decided by double digits since 1997
- Last time both teams came in undefeated was 2004 and OU won 12-0
- In the Stoops/Brown era, both teams have come into this game ranked in the top 5 three times...OU is 3-0 both SU and ATS in those games.
- In the last two years, Texas is +7 in turnovers

I lean OU in this game, esp with the double digit trend in this series. Usually, when these teams are close or OU is slightly better, the Sooners seem to roll. For Texas to win, it would seem they need to have clearly the better team.

Should be fun...helluva a game to wake up to.

Few notes about this game:

- Last year was the first game NOT decided by double digits since 1997
- Last time both teams came in undefeated was 2004 and OU won 12-0
- In the Stoops/Brown era, both teams have come into this game ranked in the top 5 three times...OU is 3-0 both SU and ATS in those games.
- In the last two years, Texas is +7 in turnovers

I lean OU in this game, esp with the double digit trend in this series. Usually, when these teams are close or OU is slightly better, the Sooners seem to roll. For Texas to win, it would seem they need to have clearly the better team.

Should be fun...helluva a game to wake up to.

Good facts, Horses. I agree with you that Texas wins when they have the clear talent differential in their favor, which was 2005 for sure. In 2006, turnovers really helped them. I believe OU was -4 in turnovers that day. 2006 Texas was not much better, if at all, than OU. Both teams were a bit down that season. OU got punked by Boise State in the immortal Fiesta Bowl that yr. Texas won in umimpressive fashion over Iowa in the Alamo that season.

One stat I think you might be incorrect about is Texas +7 in TO's the past 2 yrs.

Texas was -2 TO's last yr. And 2006 I believe they were +4.

It's somebody... def not somebody's... the masses are getting in line to take Oklahoma and the suits have their people calling in the cash on the horns.

Well saying all this I will probably not be playing this game... you've def done more homework on it... so GL w/ your side.

historic #'s don't mean shit here. two different teams this year.

I follow Oklahoma, Texas, the rest of the Big-12 and this RR rivalry very closely. One coach has a clear advantage over the other. One team has a speed advantage and overall offensive advantage over the other's defense.

It does mean something in *this* particular case. I agree that in most comparisons, what happened a decade ago or more, sometimes even 5 yrs ago, does not matter. Some things do, though.

Oklahoma has a physical and mental edge over Texas. The only time this did not apply was 2005 when Texas was far superior and OU was in reload mode, and 2006 when OU did not have strong QB play.

2007 and 2008 OU are different animals than 05-06. OU is vastly improved since those yrs, and Texas has taken a step back since VY left campus.

2007 OU was good.

2008 OU is great.

Ask John Cooper and Ohio State fans if his inability to beat Michigan, regardless of the Wolverines coach, had something to do with the game's outcome.

One team comes in confident, which trickles down from their coach, and one team comes in wondering if they can stay with the other team, which also trickles down with the coach.

I follow Oklahoma, Texas, the rest of the Big-12 and this RR rivalry very closely. One coach has a clear advantage over the other. One team has a speed advantage and overall offensive advantage over the other's defense.

It does mean something in this particular case. I agree that in most comparisons, what happened a decade ago or more, sometimes even 5 yrs ago, does not matter. Some things do, though.

Oklahoma has a physical and mental edge over Texas. The only time this did not apply was 2005 when Texas was far superior and OU was in reload mode, and 2006 when OU did not have strong QB play.

2007 and 2008 OU are different animals than 05-06. OU is vastly improved since those yrs, and Texas has taken a step back since VY left campus.

2007 OU was good.

2008 OU is great.

Exactly.<!-- / message -->

Stoops is even more confident in bowl games:36_11_6:

I hear this all the time. Let's inspect OU's bowl record in recent years.

2007: Favored by 9 over W. Virginia. If you knew my buddies they would tell you that I was extremely nervous about this game. Why? Because OU was overrated a bit last season. I felt this the entire time, even after they beat Mizzu in the Big-12 title game. WVA had the perfect thing going for them. Coach RichRod left, so they were pissed and wanted to prove to him that he made a mistake. Pat White had a month off since the Pitt loss to get his injured thumb better. Slaton was planning to go pro and was using the game as an audition for the NFL.

I was in Vegas that week and went to the window 5 mins prior to kick with and picked up a WVA +9 ticket that cashed. I was obviously rooting for OU, but felt they were in trouble.

2006: Lost to Boise State in a game where they had numerous opportunities to win. Cannot fault them though. Boise State has been a rising mid-major for yrs, just ask Louisville circa 2004. OU was down a bit.

2005: With a very young team, went down to the Holiday Bowl (I was there) in San Diego and beat a 10-1 Oregon team that was favored. Nice win for OU.

2004: Lost to one of the greatest teams in the past 20 yrs. USC 2004 was a sick team. Leinart, White, Bush, and don't forget Norm Chow. Chow was huge to that team. Don't believe me? Look how many PAC-10 gms they've lost since he left.

2003: Lost by 7 in the BCS title game in what was essentially a home game for a great LSU team coached by Nick Satan, errrr Saban. Don't think Saban can coach? Just look at Alabama in 2008 and re-think that statement.

This idea that Stoops cannot coach in a big game is ludicrous. The 2007 loss to WVA was tough, but that WVA team was 5 pts (a 13-9 loss to Pitt) from playing in the BCS title game.

2006 loss to Boise sucked, but hey, the Broncos were just better. They went 13-0 that season!!

2003 and 2004, *NO TEAM IN THE COUNTRY WOULD HAVE BEATEN USC IN THE ORANGE BOWL NOR LSU IN ESSENTIALLY A HOME GAME

lol yes this thread brings back the glory days.

how can the best team in the history of football (2003) be surpassed by this team that has played TCU and those high school teams?

this thread alone gives reason to take Texas

I swear I saw something about the year that Texas was more talented LMAO.

oh that year.....you mean every year. And its not a shot at Oklahoma but we all know that Texas is 2 deep with 5 star recruits at every position.

OU backers just better understand who Muschamp is before using historical analysis.

lol yes this thread brings back the glory days.

how can the best team in the history of football (2003) be surpassed by this team that has played TCU and those high school teams?

this thread alone gives reason to take Texas

I swear I saw something about the year that Texas was more talented LMAO.

oh that year.....you mean every year. And its not a shot at Oklahoma but we all know that Texas is 2 deep with 5 star recruits at every position.

OU backers just better understand who Muschamp is before using historical analysis.

LSU 2003 the best team in the history of football? That LSU team which lost at home to a Florida team that finished 8-5, only mustering 1 TD in that game the mighty Tigers did.

LSU 2003, who got play the BCS title game in their backyard but only beat OU by 7 pts?

If that game was within 50 miles of Norman, or anywhere OUTSIDE the state of Louisiana, the Tigers lose that game. In a tightly-contested game, home field advantage is typically the difference. Ask any oddsmaker or successful bettor about that one.

And please, Sir, put everything you've got on Texas. It's clear from all my posts in here that I know nothing about this rivalry.

Last, if Texas is better "every year" as you say, then why is Coach Stoops 6-3 against Mack Brown?

Oklahoma recruits a different kind of 4 & 5 star recruit than Texas does. Sooners recruits are tougher and more explosive at the point of attack, and then Stoops coaches them up better than Mack does. This is why Stoops has such a great record h2h vs. Mack.

Just watch on Saturday and you'll see it (again) first hand.

FWIW, I believe the 2 best college teams in this young 21st century are:

2004 USC and 2005 Texas

In a tournament style format vs. other great teams of this century on neutral fields, I would seed them 1 & 2, I would put them on opposite sides of the bracket and I believe they would emerge as the 2 teams in the finals.

Both teams had incredible offenses and tough, tough defenses. Both teams had playmakers all over the field and arguably the 3 greatest players of this decade:
VY, Leinart, and Bush

FWIW, I believe the 2 best college teams in this young 21st century are:

2004 USC and 2005 Texas

In a tournament style format vs. other great teams of this century on neutral fields, I would seed them 1 & 2, I would put them on opposite sides of the bracket and I believe they would emerge as the 2 teams in the finals.

Both teams had incredible offenses and tough, tough defenses. Both teams had playmakers all over the field and arguably the 3 greatest players of this decade:
VY, Leinart, and Bush

Better than 2001 Miami? I'm not buying that at all. 95 Nebraska and 01 Miami are the two best I've seen in my lifetime.

game is played in dallas at the state fairgrounds.

The distance is equal between norman oklahoma and austin texas.

Half the stadium is filled with oklahoma fans and the other half is filled with their employers.

It is an interesting atmosphere and the fans hate eachother.

Texas seems to win every year that i don't go and seems to lose the years i do go.

I am not going this year.

Line seems about right to me.

:36_11_6::36_11_6::36_11_6:

Better than 2001 Miami? I'm not buying that at all. 95 Nebraska and 01 Miami are the two best I've seen in my lifetime.

Re-read my post, and you'll see I said 21st Century. That excludes '95 Nebraska. We all know that '95 Nebraska takes the cake for the last century.

2001 Miami was strong, but they had the scare at Va. Tech and then got to play a Nebraska team that was very fortunate just to be there. They were in the Big Least that season, which was even worst than the Lack-10 those years.

2004 USC had some close calls during the reg season, then destroyed OU and erased any doubt. That was a pretty good OU team that got manhandled.

2005 Texas is self-explanatory. In case anyone forgets how great they were, just watch the 2005 Rose Bowl with VY dancing on and around Michigan, then watch the 2006 Rose Bowl where he did the same thing to USC.

reread MY post

a) the best team comment was referring to OKLAHOMA in 2003 being LABELED

b) I NEVER said anything about the performance of a Horn recruit or the coaching

c) IF I make a play on this game it will be on Oklahoma

I have them penciled into the title game

Good Luck Pal

Nothing to say except that it was a great game, one of the better ones I remember in the 23 straight RRR games that I've watched. The better team clearly won.

CONGRATS TO THE LONGHORN AND THEIR FANS

this games result depends on who wins in the miami fsu game.. if fsu wins texas wwins and same for miami and ou.. look back the last 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back