OK why would Maddon take out Lackey?

Wiretowire

Pretty much a regular
Up 5-0

Only threw 72 pitches.

Bottom of the 5th so he doesn't even get the win for sure.

Lackey was obviously pissed with the mouthed words "you have to be fucking kidding me."

Not a real good team building exercise I can see.

GL

Hare, obviously you disagree about something. I was just questioning why the pitcher was pulled. It wasn't that big a deal and I meant no real malice. I was actually having just fun. But if it offended you in any way then by all means please have it deleted immediately. GL :)

It was said tongue in cheek, didn't mean harm. I see what you mean. Managers always in tough position with pitchers. However, I do think Maddon made the right call here (and I have been critical of him in the playoffs so far). Lackey is a hot head. It's a must win game. He already walked two. People watching Lackey down the stretch this season, he has tired quickly once pitches start piling/stresses increases. No risks. The fact they got out of a bases loaded situation with only two runs is awesome. Totally fine with it. But I can see the other side too. Cheers.

Last edited:
And lets be honest, if montgomery catches that weak ground ball or lets it go, the dodgers get shut out. The dodgers are significantly worse against lhp, so i thought the move made sense. It's a must win game...no time for getting pitchers wins or caring about their feelings.

i thought tito was weak to take out merritt just bc he allowed a bloop single...kid was pitching the game of his life, at least make him get in some trouble before you taek away his chance for the W

I'll buy what you are saying Cubsker. Good points. GL

Dwow I completely agree that Tito seemed to pull the trigger quickly. GL

I am completely confused now with Madden. He pulls Lackey with a 5 run lead and two men on after only 72 pitches in the 5th but lets Lester throw his 108th pitch to the tying run in the bottom of the 7th? GL

I have questioned Maddon enough times to know not to. Just go with it. There is a definitive method to his madness. He obviously saw something he didn't like and trusts his bullpen, which is great. No one even knew who Montgomery was when we got him now he is holding down big games for us in the NLCS and doing a good job overall as a left handed arm. I didn't love Lackey last night, he did well but it was more the Dodgers sort of hitting like shit than him being a stud. He pitched well enough, it is NEVER about "getting the pitcher the win" in the playoffs, its about getting the TEAM the win.

I am completely confused now with Madden. He pulls Lackey with a 5 run lead and two men on after only 72 pitches in the 5th but lets Lester throw his 108th pitch to the tying run in the bottom of the 7th? GL

The thing you're not expanding on with the Lackey situation was there were 0 outs and he'd walked the first 2 batters. What if Maddon leaves him in and he walked the next guy...does he then have "permission" to pull him? If he did walk the next batter and then, still left in the next batter hits a grand slam, who'd be second guessing him and observing Lackey lost the strike zone, it was obvious after the first two batters of that inning, you're down 1-2 in the series you can't afford to leave in guys in a must win situation no matter how big your lead so why leave him in any longer? I know I would. LA hits righties when as a team they hit at all, and they were seeing Lackey for the 3rd time round, Maddon obv. decided it was time for a lefty (Montgomery, who replaced him) to shut them down (it didn't quite work since they scored 2 runs, but that's another story. Maddon played the percentages by bringing in a lefty).

As for tonight, Lester only threw 77 pitches in game 1 so obv. had plenty in the tank for tonight, and unlike in g1 when he said he didn't have his best stuff obviously tonight was different, because Maddon clearly doesn't care about Lester's feelings (as g1 showed), Maddon will pull him whenever even if he disagrees. He obv. also felt that no lefty out of the pen at that point in the game would be more effective than Lester (barring Chapman, who he obv. didn't want to use at said point).

Good assessment BetCrimes, I didn't think Lackey was really on his A game. Even with a 5 run lead, you're just better safe than sorry sometimes and while Lackey didn't like it, who cares. Maddon's job is to navigate those waters and I thought he made the right move. Was I surprised he pulled him? Maybe a little but again, I trust the guy, he's one of the best if not the best coach out there.

Back