OK... Why Is Everyone On Ohio St.?

Sparky1019

Pretty much a regular
I see everyone taking Ohio St. Florida is getting 7 points, and that should be pleanty. Michigan got 7 pts and lost by 3. That was the last game Ohio St. played, and it was sure competitive. IMO, Florida is better then Michigan, which is why they are the #2 team. Sure Florida has a really bad field goal kicker, but that may be a positive thing. If it's 4th down, and their in good field position, they would go for it and get the 1st down which may lead to more points. I think that this will be a defensive game, and Florida will make Ohio St kick field goals, while Florida goes for the TD's. They may not win outright, but will come close. I need some help on why everyone is picking OSU.

I'll be back later to respond. :shake:

Because people think that Ohio State is not going to play a sloppy game like they did against Michigan (essentially 4 TOs) and they think that UF will not play a perfect game like UM did against OSU

Here Are My Thoughts

First of all Michigan is better than Florida. I would take Michigan on a neutral field vs. Florida. I would say Michigan should be a 3.5 favorite vs. Florida on a neutral field.

As far as this matchup: thing that will be difft vs. Florida as opposed to Michigan

As much as I think Henne is the most overrated QB in the country, he still is quite a bit better than Chris Leak. Michigan has a lot better running game than Florida, and Michigan has a better WR corp, and also a better OL. So Michigan's offense is quite a bit better from a personnel standpoint.

Defense- I give a very slight edge to Michigan's defense, but I think Florida has a great defense as well, and Florida's run defense might even be better.

Coaching- I give an edge to Florida as I think Carr sucks.

Now onto Ohio St./Florida

What I think will happen is Ohio St. will not have to defend the run with as much emphasis as they did vs. Michigan, which opened up the passing game for the wolverines. Florida will not be able to control the ball with the running game and the QB position will have to get the cover for Florida, don't want to put my money on Leak.

Ohio St. will be able to get ahead, and now the Gators have to rely more on the passing game, allowing Ohio St. to take more risks, now you have a Leak INT or two.

Anyway, think Ohio St. wins 34-17

like i said before, ohio state has the best coach in the nation. you can't give the best coach in the nation (tressel) 7 week to prepare for a ball game this big. throw the spread out the window for a second and just look at the two teams. does florida really even deserve to be here? maybe. but the buckeyes routed everyone. the michigan game should have been an 11 point win. on top of that, troy smith played one of his worst games of the season. i will give florida the edge when it comes to conference play. big ten is weaker than the sec for the first time in a while, but ohio state has proven themselves and will roll tomorrow. they dont make spreads for no reason and all those guys in vegas know more than we do so i'm guessing its going to be around that type of score, but the buckeyes will come out victorious and the bells and booze will be ringing and rolling down the sidewalks of High Street in Columbus tomorrow night. gl to all

Here is my lengthy analysis and take it for its worth but I feel like I have a pretty good knowledge of both of these teams having seen them both live in person this year along with nearly every game on the tube. I was at the UK-Florida game back in late September and wasn't overly impressed by this Gator team in that game. Conversely I was at the OSU-Michigan game and was overly impressed by the Buckeyes. Both teams fed off the emotion from the crowd and seemed to play at a very high level when the crowd was in a frenzy.

This ones on a neutral field and know that both of these teams will travel and be represented well. So I don't give either team an advantage in that regard.
First to the Buckeyes:
Watching Troy Smith operate was very impressive because he has poise and composure in the pocket. If it weren't for a couple of silly mistakes Michigan would have been blown out of that ball game and I am sure the best coach in the country has taken care of that with his heisman winner. For months now everybody has been telling Troy how good he is and well quite honestly they are right, just hope it doesn't go to his head. You look at that scheme that OSU employed for the Michigan game, Tressel spread the field in 5 wide sets creating mismatches with Ginn 1 on 1, Gonzalez 1 on 1, or Robisky, Hartline or Hall in these situations and there are not too many db's which can cover this set. Michigan counteracted in the 2nd half by bringing pressure on Troy and this forced him into the turnovers but has anybody noticed that we have yet to see Troy Smith unleash the wheels?? This guy has some serious quickness and in these 5 wide sets if Florida overpursues with the LB's I expect Troy to search for a lane and get out in the open field to try and make defenders miss. Teddy Ginn and Gonzo are huge matchup problems for the Gators as their D has seen mostly convential offenses who run on 1st and 2nd down. It will not be that way tonight as Tressel is the best in game coach in the business as he will search for ways to keep em off balance and on their heels. Florida hasn't seen the speed at the WR position like OSU possesses. The Michigan DB's were picked apart and I feel Leon Hall is a top 10 pick (but was absolutely abused in this game) along with Trent. A lot has been said about the Florida D but not sure how they will handle being in 2nd and 3rd and short all night long. I really don't know how Florida is able to keep this offense under 28 points, if they are able to make them kick field goals the Gators have a legit shot to keep this one close and cover but TD's for the Buckeyes and it may be a long night. OSU has an advantage in special teams with Ginn as a return man and a reliable kicker. By the way if it is not for Vince Young last year we may be mentioning this team in the same breath as USC!

On to the Gators:
Florida was lucky to escape more than a couple games this year with victories. Tennessee, South Carolina, and even Florida State. I find it hard to believe that the Gators got the luxury of playing 8 home games and their road games were 1 pt, 6 pt, and 7pt wins along with the 10 pt defeat to Auburn. Although I feel this Florida team has come a long way since the beginning of the year they may be in over their heads. Urban Meyer is a terrific gameplanner but don't think he calls a very good game inside the redzone and the kicking issues may be too much to overcome if drives stall out. Empty trips against inside scoring territories will be disasterous. Leak should be very efficient as long as the offensive line can hold up. Percy Harvin needs to touch it about 10-15 times in space because he is that dynamic and will be the one to provide the spark to this Gator offense. Dallas Baker, Caldwell, and Cornelius along with Harvin should be able to stretch the field against a solid secondary. If Wynn can make plays in the running game I like Florida to hang around for a long time in this one. Florida has to be able to exploit the Buckeyes weakness of defending the screen plays so look for them to get Harvin and Wynn involved early. If Leak gets pressure he tends to make mistakes ala fumble at Auburn and I think that will be the difference in this ball game. The Gators should be good for 2-3 TD's and 1 fg with a missed fg and extra point thrown in the mix.

The winner of the turnover battle will win and cover this game and my opinion is the Buckeyes will do just that.

I will also be on the over because I feel 46 is too low for the amount of playmakers on the field. Hell last year the total was in the 70's with two pretty good D's and great offenses. Now we got two pretty good O's and two pretty good D's and there is a definite possibility for a defensive score in this one.

Bold Prediction:
Florida 24
Ohio St. 35

By the way I have no rooting interest as I am a huge Michigan fan and a Die hard Kentucky fan! Only rooting for money; money;

Last edited:
" The Buckeyes routed everyone "

Give me a fuggin break.

Not a word about the psycholgy involved here. Just more Useless banter of matchups and past results. If you have not noticed That hasnt work Much if AT ALL DURING THE BOWL SEASON. The week in - week out grind of a season is TOTALLY different that what we will see tonight.

This isn't just a hugely-hyped and pressure-packed event; it's a football game played after a five- to seven-week layoff. All the ingredients exist for one team to mentally fold in the face of this spectacle's fierce forces. There's pressure. Then there are high expectations. Add some massive adrenaline surges, sprinkle in enormous possibilities for a plethora of pregame distractions, and factor in a lot of rust. It's a recipe for a big-game disaster, which can be loosely but accurately defined as a woefully insufficient and generally underachieving performance. Six out of eight times, then, disaster has befallen one team in a BCS title game. That's a 75
percent rate if you're keeping score at home.

Here's the reason why Ohio State versus Florida--like any other college football championship game--is best put in perspective when matchup keys or strategic dimensions are placed on the back burner: simply stated, psychology rules in this sport--always does, always will. (Ask Boise State and Oklahoma about this topic after that Fiesta Bowl from New Year's night.
Ohio State would be Buck-ing a trend if the Scarlet and Gray can avoid a major mistake for 60 whole minutes of action. And if adversity hits Jim Tressel's team in Glendale, one has to admit that the Gators--unlike Michigan--have the defense and, even more specifically, the secondary that could potentially frustrate OSU's passing attack. One mistake could negate a whole host of advantages that the Buckeyes possess on paper.

Last and far from least Florida has been in a bunch of close games and shown the ability to overcome adversity. Ohio State has yet to be challenged. And please save me the drivel about Michigan wh'os late TD set up by a interference call made it appear closer than it was.Tonight they will get challenged.
In BCS title games, mindset always trumps masculinity. The mentally tough team that overcomes adversity and minimizes mistakes will walk away with a national championship. Put this game within a regular-season grind, and big plays would become ever more necessary for both teams. But in a single game played 36 (Florida) to 50 (Ohio State) days after the end of the regular season, the key becomes psychological more than anything else. Focus will foil ferocity. Serenity will surmount the speed of specimens. These are the time-tested truths of BCS championship games.

Give me a fuggin break.

Not a word about the psycholgy involved here. Just more Useless banter of matchups and past results. If you have not noticed That hasnt work Much if AT ALL DURING THE BOWL SEASON. The week in - week out grind of a season is TOTALLY different that what we will see tonight.

This isn't just a hugely-hyped and pressure-packed event; it's a football game played after a five- to seven-week layoff. All the ingredients exist for one team to mentally fold in the face of this spectacle's fierce forces. There's pressure. Then there are high expectations. Add some massive adrenaline surges, sprinkle in enormous possibilities for a plethora of pregame distractions, and factor in a lot of rust. It's a recipe for a big-game disaster, which can be loosely but accurately defined as a woefully insufficient and generally underachieving performance. Six out of eight times, then, disaster has befallen one team in a BCS title game. That's a

Here's the reason why Ohio State versus Florida--like any other college football championship game--is best put in perspective when matchup keys or strategic dimensions are placed on the back burner: simply stated, psychology rules in this sport--always does, always will. (Ask Boise State and Oklahoma about this topic after that Fiesta Bowl from New Year's night.
Ohio State would be Buck-ing a trend if the Scarlet and Gray can avoid a major mistake for 60 whole minutes of action. And if adversity hits Jim Tressel's team in Glendale, one has to admit that the Gators--unlike Michigan--have the defense and, even more specifically, the secondary that could potentially frustrate OSU's passing attack. One mistake could negate a whole host of advantages that the Buckeyes possess on paper.

Last and far from least Florida has been in a bunch of close games and shown the ability to overcome adversity. Ohio State has yet to be challenged. And please save me the drivel about Michigan wh'os late TD set up by a interference call made it appear closer than it was.Tonight they will get challenged.
In BCS title games, mindset always trumps masculinity. The mentally tough team that overcomes adversity and minimizes mistakes will walk away with a national championship. Put this game within a regular-season grind, and big plays would become ever more necessary for both teams. But in a single game played 36 (Florida) to 50 (Ohio State) days after the end of the regular season, the key becomes psychological more than anything else. Focus will foil ferocity. Serenity will surmount the speed of specimens. These are the time-tested truths of BCS championship games.

STEED said:
but the buckeyes routed everyone.

That game against Illinois was not even in the vicinity of a rout. You can make the argument that the Buckeyes simply just wanted to pull out enough for a win, but that was a team they were supposed to beat soundly and they did not do so. Smith did not even throw for a single TD in that game. If Illinois was able to contain the running game and Smith, Florida has a fighting chance.

STEED said:
the michigan game should have been an 11 point win. on top of that, troy smith played one of his worst games of the season.

Here's the problem I have with Troy Smith. Obviously, the Michigan game was a critical one and Smith comes out onto his own field and puts up a poor performance. That poor performance certainly puts doubt in my mind whether Smith can in turn come out and play his best game on college football's biggest stage.

It seems that the majority of the cappers on this site seems to be on Ohio State, but I have to wonder if this one is as cut and dry as everyone thinks it is.

G-Man said:
I think the Gators have a bad LEAK in their offense that will drain them early.

BOL to everyone whatever they think...but my question is this:

If Ohio St is supposed to ROUT Florida why did Vegas give you the line at -7 (or -8)?
Vegas is not going to just hand over the $$ on the National Championship game.

:cheers: To your Plays

My play - Florida +8 when my line was open

Michigan is a better team than Fla, imo; they didn't play like it on New Year's day, but they are a better team; I'm glad there are opposing sides, else this line would be DD, but in the end, Fla pass defense will prove to be their undoing; not strong enough to handle the Buckeyes.

Did they route Penn State...no! And Penn State is an average team (not ranked but will most likely sneak in the Top 25 with several temas losing their bowl game).

Mikesy said:

Give me a fuggin break.

This isn't just a hugely-hyped and pressure-packed event; it's a football game played after a five- to seven-week layoff. All the ingredients exist for one team to mentally fold in the face of this spectacle's fierce forces. There's pressure. Then there are high expectations. Add some massive adrenaline surges, sprinkle in enormous possibilities for a plethora of pregame distractions, and factor in a lot of rust. It's a recipe for a big-game disaster, which can be loosely but accurately defined as a woefully insufficient and generally underachieving performance. Six out of eight times, then, disaster has befallen one team in a BCS title game. That's a 75

One of the best posts I have read in quite some time.

Bravo to you for being one of the few who actually pays
attentions to the intangibles that go into playing in these
BCS title games.

Neutral field, lots of time off, hype one way, lack of hype
another. Motivation build-up facing a Heisman winner, etc, etc.

Yes, these BCS title games are not so comfy for favs, are they...

Sparky - no way in hell Florida is a better team than Michigan.

:beer: to what it seems like BigRaktor. Nobody saw this coming... I new they would cover, but now like this. I had their ML for just shits and giggles for extra $$, but got serious on the Line. I bought it to 7.5, and bet $1000 on it. And if this isn't easy $$$, I don't know what is. :shake:

Lets sticky this thread for obvious reasons

Nice job sparks.. u still playin golf at the pga

Thanks bro. :shake: :D I knew their defense would prevail. And as you all saw... they gave up 1 defensive TD, and the rest was history.

Made me sick all week to hear that Ohio St had a great defense.. MY ASS

You dont lose 9 starters and get better. Anyway I thought Ohio St would win, but i was wrong, i thought their offense had some pop but i should have learned something from the rose bowl game

The same with Florida. They obviously got just as sick about hearing about Ohio St's defense, offense, and Troy Smith. This is just what happened with USC and UCLA. Big game, everyone thought it would go 1 way, which they were right. But not the way they assumed.

money; :Cheers:

Thanks Sparky...Congrats Gator backers...

Hope you get it all back the rest of the year Buckeye players...

are you guys freaking kidding me? look at this schedule and results:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR bgColor=#990000><TD align=middle width="100%">2006-2007 SCHEDULE
( Click on an event for complete event information )

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#000000>
spacer-000000.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=schedtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=event-table-headings bgColor=#adafaa><TD class=head-text>Date</TD><TD class=head-text>Opponent / Event</TD><TD class=head-text>Location</TD><TD class=head-text>Time / Result</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD colSpan=4>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR class="" id=650860 title=2006,8,02,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>09/02/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Northern Illinois (1)
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus,OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 35-12</TD></TR><TR class="" id=625336 title=2006,8,09,20,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>09/09/06</TD><TD class=row-text>at Texas
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Austin, TX</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 24-7</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603097 title=2006,8,16,12,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>09/16/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Cincinnati (2)
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus, OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 37-7</TD></TR><TR class=event-listing id=603105 title=2006,8,23,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>09/23/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Penn State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus, OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 28-6</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603104 title=2006,8,30,20,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>09/30/06</TD><TD class=row-text>at Iowa
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Iowa City, IA</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 38-17</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603108 title=2006,9,07,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>10/07/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Bowling Green
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus, OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 35-7</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603098 title=2006,9,14,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>10/14/06</TD><TD class=row-text>at Michigan State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>East Lansing, MI</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 38-7</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603099 title=2006,9,21,12,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>10/21/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Indiana
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus, OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 44-3</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603103 title=2006,9,28,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>10/28/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Minnesota (3)
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus, OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 44-0</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603100 title=2006,10,04,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>11/04/06</TD><TD class=row-text>at Illinois
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Champaign, IL</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 17-10</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603101 title=2006,10,11,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>11/11/06</TD><TD class=row-text>at Northwestern
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Evanston, IL</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 54-10</TD></TR><TR class="" id=603102 title=2006,10,18,15,30,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing"><TD class=row-text>11/18/06</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Michigan
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Columbus, OH</TD><TD class=row-text>W, 42-39</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

its pretty good when you guys get sit there and pick out ONE game where the buckeyes didnt win by more than 17. granted, what probably hurt the buckeyes is they played a bunch of BOWLING GREEN's about 10000x this season so maybe that came back to haunt them. however, don't downsize them because of that. they won 11 out of 12 games in convincing fashion and the above shows that.

too bad they didnt come to play last night......BUT congrats to all florida backers and fans, they were the better team last night. :shake:

STEED,
I read the whole post 3 times. Where is the point?
We have been over this for more than a month. The people that said Florida deserved to be in the game were ripped because "Vegas says the line would be Michigan -7 vs Florida on a neutral field."

Why dont you put Florida's schedule up side by side. Show both schedules with the rankings (current not hype driven preseason) of every team played. Winning by 35 doesn't mean shit and that has been proven time and time again. NOBODY averages 30+ points in the SEC and I don't expect that to change regardless of how bright things look in FLA.

The fact is if you play in the SEC you are forced to play 3 Top 10 teams along the way. Its just a fact. Whether ESPN strokes your teams cock daily is out of your control. ESPN once again E X P O S E D!

PURPLE & GOLD said:
STEED,
I read the whole post 3 times. Where is the point?
We have been over this for more than a month. The people that said Florida deserved to be in the game were ripped because "Vegas says the line would be Michigan -7 vs Florida on a neutral field."

Why dont you put Florida's schedule up side by side. Show both schedules with the rankings (current not hype driven preseason) of every team played. Winning by 35 doesn't mean shit and that has been proven time and time again. NOBODY averages 30+ points in the SEC and I don't expect that to change regardless of how bright things look in FLA.

The fact is if you play in the SEC you are forced to play 3 Top 10 teams along the way. Its just a fact. Whether ESPN strokes your teams cock daily is out of your control. ESPN once again E X P O S E D!

and i've read your post 13 times, and i dont get your point....sooo...? :drinking:

STEED sure they had an impressive season, and they beat some pretty good teams. But who can't deny that Florida played tougher teams...

All but one team they played was in a bowl game. That one team being W.Carolina, where they won 62-0. Ohio St played 5 teams that were'nt in a bowl game. And Florida took on whoever they played... except for Auburn. Where they played down to the wire until that blocked punt. If they didn't get that, then you have no idea what would have been the outcome. Florida won b/c they had the tougher contenders, and thats that. They played 2 extra weeks, where they stuck it out and won. They were more prepared, less rusty, and had something to fight for. When everyone counted them out, they just got stronger, and thats why the final score came out to be what it was. :shake:

Not everyone counted them out. Dont tell Them that though. I was talkin with TIMH when he was here a few weeks back and I told him about Brandon Siler who home for a few days. He heard on ESPN radio a Michigan RB ( not sure who) say "WE ALL KNOW whos gonna win THAT game..." and apparently Siler did not take it well. They heard that nonsense for 6 weeks. Every day......day in day out Meyer made sure of that !!!!
They came out angry and played to perfection. Game over. Good call man. I'm glad they did it. I knew they could. I am sorry that a bunch of my friends lost alot of money, that comes with the territory unfortunately. It always scares me when a huge amount of the folks are on one side. It SHOULD scare people. GL man onto Hoops and Bases.

No one once said that. I totally agreed that Florida not only played in a better conference, but played better teams, duh thats evident. But all I claimed is that Ohio State handled 95% of their opponents that THEY DID PLAY with quite some ease. Florida won, outplayed them, was the better team Monday night, we all know, its over........but I dont want to hear that the Buckeyes DIDNT dominate their opponents because they did....bottom line. Congrats and end of discussion.

STEED said:
No one once said that. I totally agreed that Florida not only played in a better conference, but played better teams, duh thats evident. But all I claimed is that Ohio State handled 95% of their opponents that THEY DID PLAY with quite some ease. Florida won, outplayed them, was the better team Monday night, we all know, its over........but I dont want to hear that the Buckeyes DIDNT dominate their opponents because they did....bottom line. Congrats and end of discussion.
Boise st dominated their opponents as well :shake:

Back