Ohio State Regular Season Win Total Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Buckeyes Loaded and Ready to Shoot Past 2018 Win Total

The drama surrounding Head Coach Urban Meyer notwithstanding, Ohio State is stacked with talent. Despite the high win total, every game on their schedule is very winnable and the „over“ won’t be a problem.

Ohio State Regular Season Win Total

NCAAF Pick: Over 10.5 Wins

Top Heisman Candidate: Dwayne Haskins: +1600
Odds to Win National Championship: +1000
Odds to Win Big Ten: +190

Head Coach Urban Meyer was ensnared in allegations that he covered up domestic abuse.
Ohio State launched a 14-day internal investigation and decided to suspend Meyer for __ games. Ryan Day has been acting as interim coach. He’s reportedly overseeing the offense while Greg Schiano focuses on the defense. The team isn’t skipping a beat.

Offense:

Dwayne Haskins replaces J.T. Barrett, who went 38-6 overall and 9-3 against top-10 teams while at OSU, at quarterback. Ohio State was so successful rather despite than because of Barrett. The key was always to feature Ohio State’s many skill players—whether at running back or wide receiver— and never to rely on Barrett to take over the game. Barrett’s ineptitude especially as a passer held his offense back. For example, whether at Oklahoma, Indiana or Ohio State, offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson has always preferred a quarterback who could sling it. But last season, for example, Barrett ranked outside the top 100 in completion percentage on throws of 20-plus yards. Even worse was his completion percentage on deep passes outside the numbers. Barrett’s inaccuracy was a shame considering the speed and deep-play ability of his receivers. With Barrett unable to throw deep, defenses were able to stack the box, meaning that they had less space to defend, which made their job easier, especially because Barrett's speed grew insufficient to make the impact with his legs that he had done before suffering numerous leg injuries. Wisconsin executed this tactic in last year's Big 10 championship, in which Barrett was 12-for-26 with two touchdowns and two interceptions. The Buckeyes still won, but less because of Barrett and more because of the explosiveness of their running backs and wide receivers

Conversely, Haskins went 5-for-6 on his deep passes and could also consistently execute deep throws outside the numbers. Haskins could step in against Michigan’s stellar defense, which had game-planned against Barrett, and go 6-for-7 with 94 yards, leading his team to victory. Haskins is vastly superior to Barrett in terms of accuracy and arm strength. He can stretch the field at will. So if a team like Wisconsin were to stack the box, he would burn the defense. Haskins—who, by the way, is also competent running in the open field -- will force opposing defenses to account for the entire field, stretching them out, giving them more space to account for, and making their life more difficult both because of the threat that he poses and that of his teammates in space.

Haskins has an incredible supporting cast. Running backs JK Dobbins and Mike Weber combined for over 2000 yards rushing. Weber averaged 6.2 yards per carry although he only began making an impact in November when he recovered his health. Dobbins averaged 7.2. It’s not like they only beat up cupcake teams, either. Against ranked opponents, Ohio State ranked sixth in rush yards per game. OSU’s o-line returns plenty of experience and features two All-Big Ten guys.

The receiving crew, although lacking a true number one guy, is stacked with six capable players able to lead the team in yards in a given game. It only loses a tight end. Parris Campbell led the team with 584 yards. He’s known for running a 40 yard dash under 4.40 and his speed helped him achieve a 74-yard touchdown against Indiana. Terry McLaurin is also a big-play threat with his speed and he achieved an 84 yard touchdown against Wisconsin.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Defense:

Ohio State’s defense benefits from its depth last year because many players who weren’t starters received good playing time. Seven different defensive linemen started for a team that ranked fourth in opposing rush yards per game and achieved 45 sacks. Two starters and seven of the top 11 linemen return, the best among whom is First-team All-American defensive end Nick Bosa, who led his unit with 8.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss. He’ll line up opposite of five-star recruit Chase Young who has had an extremely strong Spring, constantly pressuring the quarterback in the spring game. The rotation will feature three defensive tackles with at least 25 games of experience, including Dre’Mont Jones, who has 23 career starts and could have opted for the NFL.

Ohio State also returns six of nine at linebacker. Sophomore Baron Browning was a five-star prospect who could break out, as could Malik Harrison, who was effective when he played, accumulating 36 tackles, and Justin Hilliard, who was Ohio State’s top recruit in 2015 and is finally healthy. Last season, Ohio State’s secondary lost three first round draft picks and regressed „majorly“ to 10th in opposing quarterback passer rating. Year in and year out, OSU boasts a solid secondary. This season, it is more experienced and returns six of its top nine, including two starters. It’s led by safety Jordan Fuller, the team’s leading returning tackler. Fuller could be one of the best safeties thanks to his physical attributes, his understanding of his position, and his leadership on the field. Cornerback Jeffrey Okudah is another rising star. The five-star recruit played in last year’s Cotton Bowl and helped shut down USC’s prolific pass attack.

Last edited:
Schedule:

Ohio State’s first real test is on September 15 when it faces TCU in Arlington, Texas. The early game date does not benefit a TCU team which loses a tremendous amount of experience from last season, when they were one of the most experienced teams. They lose quarterback Kenny Hill, famously known as „September Heisman“ for his strong starts to the season. His backup was Shawn Robinson whose second-most experience in terms of passes attempted came against Jackson State. His first-most came against Texas Tech, against which he was 6-for-17. Although TCU has some electrifying speedsters at running back and wide receiver, it will be set back by a question mark at quarterback, who will only have played Southern and SMU before Ohio State. He may also be hampered by an offensive line that returns only 26 starts. TCU’s defense is still solid—although it did just lose its star defensive tackle to a season-ending injury--, but OSU is more stacked on offense.

The Buckeyes will win in Penn State. Last season’s close score was misleading because OSU out-gained Penn State 529-283. Penn State’s pass rush was inactive and its pass defense got shredded. It allowed Barrett to be super comfortable in the pocket—as it did Michigan State’s and Nebraska’s quarterback as well-- and with defensive end Ryan Buchholz retiring and two starting defensive tackles departing, I don’t see how the situation could possibly improve for Penn State while OSU now boasts a much more competent passer. Penn State does boast high-level talent at linebacker but much of it is very young and the unit will need time to gel without its emotional leader Jason Cabinda at middle linebacker and the support from safety Marcus Allen, both of whom were excellent at stopping the run. Dobbins and Weber will have a field day against this unit and I foresee Ohio State putting up at least 30 points here while Penn State’s offense will miss its superstar running back, leading receiver, and its top tight end, who was an important target for quarterback Trace McSorley especially on third down and in the red zone.

Another big test is against Michigan, which, under Harbaugh, has yet to beat the Buckeyes in three tries or beat a ranked team on the road in three tries and which lost at home to Ohio State when Haskins came in for Barrett and led his team to victory. Michigan’s defense was great last season except for one disaster at Penn State. But even the best defense will struggle if its offense keeps putting it in a bad position. Michigan is regarding transfer quarterback Shea Patterson as a savior. He is a savior compared with the duds that led Michigan’s injury-ridden unit last season, but he is not without his problems. Patterson is interception-prone, has a worrisome history against strong teams, and an injury history as well. Michigan plays Ohio State in the last game of the season and will have to hope that Patterson is still healthy despite having to rely on an offensive line that ranked 111th in sacks allowed per game. Michigan’s interior line play should improve and its line could benefit from increased schematic simplicity. But question marks remain especially at both tackle positions and Patterson is liable to be blindsided on any play. The run blocking struggled as well and Michigan, despite having a talented committee of backs, averaged 2.8 yards or fewer against its top opponents Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.

A big test is at Michigan State. Last season, Ohio State beat Michigan State 48-3. That defeat came after the loss at Iowa, so it seems that Ohio State played angry in front of its home crowd. Michigan State returns a lot of talent and experience on both offense and defense and will provide a much more difficult test. Last season, the Spartans finished 10-3, although it benefited from winning a coin-flip game in disastrous weather against Michigan and again prospering in stormy weather to defeat a Penn State team that was clearly deflated and mentally very out of it after losing its „super bowl“ against the Buckeyes—it’s never a good sign when a team holds a players-only meeting after losing a big game. In sum, Michigan State still has to prove that it can beat a highly-ranked opponent and achieving a 45-point swing from last year’s result seems improbable. One key match-up difficulty that the Spartans will have to confront is presented by the notorious ineptitude of its linebackers in pass coverage, which was most evident in the game against Northwestern, in which opposing quarterback Clayton Thorson dink-and-dunked his way to a 34-for-50 performance with 368 pass yards. Ohio State has even more talent—for example with the speedster Campbell in the intermediate passing game-- with which to exploit the same weakness that Northwestern exposed.

Every game is absolutely winnable, although the win total even allows for OSU, who I think will win the Big Ten, to slip up once.

I don’t personally see the value, a 3 game ML parlay at PSU/at MSU/neutral vs Wisconsin undoubtedly pays better than +190. Either way good luck though!

At least with a future you have the luxury of losing one of those games and it still working out but I see your point

I have two more rsw articles planned. If anyone wants things done differently or more of something whatever. Feel free to let me know.

Good article after the first paragraph. People (not saying here, but the audience you are reaching) do not care about your personal opinions on that stuff whatsoever. Perhaps a nuetral note or two that helps cap your side or against but that would turn most people off to reading the rest of the article.

I was told to have this ready right when Urban decision was announced so I understand the concern marrski but i’d like to just day that thats outta my hands. My editor is assuming a limited suspension that doesn‘t place OSU in any danger of losing any big games. But still, 10.5 over was at plus thanks to the drama and if he gets fired then surely a much sweeter total will come out. Without Urban against TCU i‘d definitely be worried about Gary Patterson who‘s great at game planning just think of how TCU shut down OK State‘s O until the game was out of reach

Rememeber the Houston SDSU bowl came two years ago. Better coaching can trump an opponent‘s advantage in talent

I edited the Urban paragraph. I thought I sounded pretty objective but ok now it should be good and I sent the new version to my editor. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was told to have this ready right when Urban decision was announced so I understand the concern marrski but i’d like to just day that thats outta my hands. My editor is assuming a limited suspension that doesn‘t place OSU in any danger of losing any big games. But still, 10.5 over was at plus thanks to the drama and if he gets fired then surely a much sweeter total will come out. Without Urban against TCU i‘d definitely be worried about Gary Patterson who‘s great at game planning just think of how TCU shut down OK State‘s O until the game was out of reach

Rememeber the Houston SDSU bowl came two years ago. Better coaching can trump an opponent‘s advantage in talent

I edited the Urban paragraph. I thought I sounded pretty objective but ok now it should be good and I sent the new version to my editor. Thanks.

Personally, I don't think that's a very safe assumption.

As to the content, I think the linebackers are the biggest question mark in my mind.

Personally, I don't think that's a very safe assumption.

As to the content, I think the linebackers are the biggest question mark in my mind.

Hey marsski, while I got you over here...you're the actual long-time professional journalist here...any thoughts on my work would be greatly appreciated :)

Hey marsski, while I got you over here...you're the actual long-time professional journalist here...any thoughts on my work would be greatly appreciated :)

I think your info is solid and I can tell you have done your research. You could stand a good rewrite....like this sentence:

Another big test is against Michigan, which, under Harbaugh, has yet to beat the Buckeyes in three tries or beat a ranked team on the road in three tries and which lost at home to Ohio State when Haskins came in for Barrett and led his team to victory.

Sometimes it feels like you're just trying to get your thoughts down rather than craft something.

Thanks :) I try to avoid too many paratactic sentences, but sometimes I go overboard in the opposite direction. Will definitely work on smoother writing.

Back