Ohio State at Oklahoma: Handicap It

It's so hard to cap these big games so early in the season, imo. Not much data, and nobody really knows who either team is at this point. Judging by what I've seen, both teams should be able to move the ball with some success. I think the offense for both teams will be the best units on the field...i think this thing turns into a shootout, and gun to my head I would have to trust UM over "big game bobby"...

fascinating game when you think about ou's schedule. they really, really can't lose this game if they wanna go back to the playoff. this is a home stand and bob knows the nickname he's got.

can osu come down to norman and figure out all their kinks on the road against a team that has legit talent and speed all over the field?

i like ou in the game, but i'll wait and see for now. think we're asking a lot of osu to figure it all out in this game.

osu's defensive front 7 is legit.

ou's o line and their stable of running backs is legit.

osu's secondary is unproven, and is their biggest weakness, but without sterling shepard, mayfield may not have a whole lot to expose it with.

who's gonna rush the qb from ou? who's gonna get pressure on barret? and how will the sooners LBs handle osu's running attack?

sooners lost some legit talent at safety, de, and corner. osu could expose it, but i'm not betting on them figuring it out on the road.

I don't have all my stuff where I'm posting from, but Bob Stoops has not been a home underdog since 2000 (vs #1 Nebraska, OU won 31-14, not sure what that line was or what his prior home dog record from 1999 was).

Not sure that Ohio St deserves the favorite spot here. This was something like OU -6 in the summer for games of year, had been coming down with tOSU early money, but still. I can get the downgrade on OU following Houston loss and while Ohio St has dominated BG and Tulsa...I think they were expected to dominate them. Enough has changed since August to move this line 8 points making OU a home dog with all that inexperience on Buckeye D (albeit with exceptional ability and talent)? I don't buy the "must win" or "OU can't lose this game for the playoff" stuff the talking heads like to say - OU has to want this game just as bad now as they would if they had beat Houston. So I don't come at it from that angle. Will OU feel more pressure because the media is telling them it is a must win? I think they will feel pressure without any outside noise just because it is a huge game, not because it means more having lost to Houston.

Can tOSU stop unit hold their own here? They've been pretty damn impressive, but now on the road at night. I think OU will be able to run the ball, which I think they should do first and foremost which will make things easier for Mayfield passing. If OU comes out with primarily passing gameplan I think that will be trouble for them.

I don't have a good handle on what the tOSU O vs OU D might look like. So I'm not sure of some things. OU running the ball and having offensive success stemming off of that in general I feel pretty good about.

Nobody knew how good OU was before that 2000 game. Interestingly enough, Neb scored the first 14 pts on a couple of long passes off of the option. After that, it was all OU. They had some real badasses on defense that were John Blake's recruits...Roy Williams, Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall. They were lights out on D for a few years there.

I heard Ohio St was talking to Herman. Shouldn't Herman want OU to win? No way he should be helping Ohio St in this game with some serious playoff implications.

Does Oklahoma ever cover against Winning Big 10 teams?

Don't think they play too many Big 10 teams do they, Iowa in that Arizona bowl some years ago comes to mind. But if your point is that in recent years Oklahoma doesn't fair well vs say top 5 or top 10 out of conference teams that would be correct.

Maybe comparing Ohio St offense to Clemson and what that could mean for OU is appropriate...that's kind of scary if you are a Sooner fan.

I'm not a fan of betting road favs of less than 3 but given tOSU so so start, I think there's some line value. Urban / Ohio St away from Columbus versus top 25 teams is too salty to go against. Perhaps it's square, but I took tOSU - 2.

Also, if Ohio State starts fast, the crowd in Norman get very quiet. It will be key for them to avoid another slow start.

How does Ohio State OL do blocking Oklahoma? Key match-up of the game in my opinion.

have trouble figuring out how ou gets after the qb. and the last team that really, really ran on ou was clemson, with a dual threat qb.

also: the linebackers are pretty much all new, and stoops moved to a 3-3-5. less size, but more speed.

i dunno if osu can run on the sooners, i really don't think they'll have the success they need to break this thing open.

It's completely fine if you insist on wagering here, but at least admit that it's purely for actions sake. I really don't see how anybody could sincerely believe they have an edge in this game given the context.

Completely fair to disagree - I'm the authority on nothing, I can't hit a play for my life lately.

I'll rephrase - I can't see any edge at all in this game and think there's basically no valuable information out on Ohio State, at least not enough to dictate a play. 100% understandable if others see an edge, also 100% understandable if you just want action on a big game.

I had forgotten a bit how the OU - Houston game unfolded exactly.

Mixon and Perine only had 6 carries each. As a team OU only rushed for 70y on 26 att. Mayfield had 13 att, 4 of those were sacks.

Mayfield's yardage per rush was 7, 1, 1, 4, 1 (halftime) 5, -2, 2, -6 (now down 16 pts) -8, 2, -3, -5.

Mixon's carries: 32, -3, 7, 0 (halftime) 2 (now down 16) 9 [6.67 ypc]
Perine's carries: 15, 4, 3, 11 (halftime)(now down 16) 16, 2 [5.17 ypc]

The halftime score was 19-17 Houston and Hou punted on their 1st possession of the half. Perine and Mixon did not get 1 carry that opening 3rd qrt drive. Mayfield had 2 carries and 2 sacks.

After the FG att was ret'd by Houston, OU's next drive resulted in a fumble on their 2nd play and from that point on OU abandoned the running game almost completely.

So it wasn't a case of Houston stopping or slowing OU's RBs, they did do a good job corralling Mayfield, but Mixon and Perine were effective with their opportunities with Mixon busting a 32y TD and Perine popping three carries over 10 yards. Once the score spiraled away from Sooners the running game was out the window. Strange though that OU came out of halftime and didn't give the RBs 1 attempt on a 10 play drive.

OU must remain committed to the running game this week.

On the other hand, Sooners did a good job as well corralling Ward's running game. His yards on 18 attempts were as follows:
–1, 3, –1, 6, 0, 2, 11, –8, 4, –7 (sack), –2, –4, –1, 2, –6 (sack), 0, 2, 1 (the last two running out the clock).

So no weekness on OU's D vs a running QB of Ward's ability.

Ward was 57.5% completions. Mayfield was 70.5%.

If tOSU's x factor is H-Back Curtis Samuel 21 rush 162y (7.71 ypc) TD, 14 rec 238y (17.07 avg) 2 TD.

OU counters with an X factor of their own, TE Mark Andrews. Andrews has TDs of 64, 25, 39 yards this season. Dude is big and has some fast wheels.

Not going to overthink this game, it's Big Game Bob or nothing! One more lost and the party is over for them...heck they're staring at a possibility of going into conference play 0-2! tOSU can afford a lost because they have good chance of contending for the Big Dick title.

Also Big 12 big boys is also on the hot seat; which none can afford another loss: TCU, OK Lite, T-Tech! These mofos are playing with fire early on and perhaps the Big 12 might not have a seat at the dinner table!

I had forgotten a bit how the OU - Houston game unfolded exactly.

Mixon and Perine only had 6 carries each. As a team OU only rushed for 70y on 26 att. Mayfield had 13 att, 4 of those were sacks.

Mayfield's yardage per rush was 7, 1, 1, 4, 1 (halftime) 5, -2, 2, -6 (now down 16 pts) -8, 2, -3, -5.

Mixon's carries: 32, -3, 7, 0 (halftime) 2 (now down 16) 9 [6.67 ypc]
Perine's carries: 15, 4, 3, 11 (halftime)(now down 16) 16, 2 [5.17 ypc]

The halftime score was 19-17 Houston and Hou punted on their 1st possession of the half. Perine and Mixon did not get 1 carry that opening 3rd qrt drive. Mayfield had 2 carries and 2 sacks.

After the FG att was ret'd by Houston, OU's next drive resulted in a fumble on their 2nd play and from that point on OU abandoned the running game almost completely.

So it wasn't a case of Houston stopping or slowing OU's RBs, they did do a good job corralling Mayfield, but Mixon and Perine were effective with their opportunities with Mixon busting a 32y TD and Perine popping three carries over 10 yards. Once the score spiraled away from Sooners the running game was out the window. Strange though that OU came out of halftime and didn't give the RBs 1 attempt on a 10 play drive.

OU must remain committed to the running game this week.

On the other hand, Sooners did a good job as well corralling Ward's running game. His yards on 18 attempts were as follows:
–1, 3, –1, 6, 0, 2, 11, –8, 4, –7 (sack), –2, –4, –1, 2, –6 (sack), 0, 2, 1 (the last two running out the clock).

So no weekness on OU's D vs a running QB of Ward's ability.

Ward was 57.5% completions. Mayfield was 70.5%.

If tOSU's x factor is H-Back Curtis Samuel 21 rush 162y (7.71 ypc) TD, 14 rec 238y (17.07 avg) 2 TD.

OU counters with an X factor of their own, TE Mark Andrews. Andrews has TDs of 64, 25, 39 yards this season. Dude is big and has some fast wheels.

I appreciate the context and I agree wholeheartedly on OU having to stay committed to the run. As your Mayfield rushing numbers correlate with the total lack of rushing numbers for Perine and Mixon that shows how much harder they made the game for Mayfield when they gave up on the run. That being said (again, I still disagree with the decision) if you watch the tape on Houston all of last year, expecting to get much out of the run game isn't likely. For as much as they get talked about it's rarely about how nasty their run defense is. They kept 7/14 under 100 yards LY and 13/14 under 200 for a season avg of 3.18 ypc. That was good for 10th nationally.

Not sure how it exactly relates to this game other than I can see why they abandoned the run but it was indeed a poor choice. If they do that again here they likely get boat raced

Backup QB for OK talking shit saying they were going to light em up. Not sure why he's being interviewed but that's probably a question big game Bob can answer. At the end of the day it's a whatever in my book, but geesuz.

[FONT=&quot]From blankets:

Did you catch the interview @ the end of the Tulsa game with urban?...espn; "Coach what about the slow start in both games?.. but to come back and dominate at the end? "We cant have that! any of that when we go to norman on Sat"...They know they cant start off slow!.. Night game in Norman for a hungry Sooners team. This is going to be a good game!.. I mean good game!.. Such a good game I'm going on record to say wagering on this game is down right scary!.. [/FONT]

Back