Oh Captain, My Captain: The End of an Era

Every retired captain of three or more Cups teams is in the Hall. And Doug Young is the only captain of two cup teams to not be in the Hall.

Toews and Dustin Brown (2 cups as captain) will be two very interesting cases.

Toews was also on seven gold medal winning Canadian teams. Dustin Brown played for the US and won no golds.

I think Toews is a shoo-in. Brown probably doesn't get in.

Every retired captain of three or more Cups teams is in the Hall. And Doug Young is the only captain of two cup teams to not be in the Hall.

Toews and Dustin Brown (2 cups as captain) will be two very interesting cases.

Toews was also on seven gold medal winning Canadian teams. Dustin Brown played for the US and won no golds.

I think Toews is a shoo-in. Brown probably doesn't get in.

Agreed. Toews is an absolute lock for the HOF.

Brown should absolutely not, 2nd liner at best, was never a top 5 player on those kings teams

Toews will like I said, because of the cups, and the olympic golds (had a good 2010 but was essentially a 4th line guy), world championships and world juniors dont really matter imo except for guys in the triple gold

I'd argue he was lucky to be on a team with a generational forward and d man with kane and keith, and then the depth behind them

hes only had 80 points one time, gonna likely end up with less than 900 points

I just dont see how anyone can say toews is better than guys like mogilny, roenick, and Turgeon amongst others

Tkachuk had 500 goals that should be auto, way more goalies should go in, JVB probly biggest outlier rughy now

Dustin brown had a career high of 61 points, and is at just over 0.5 ppg as a playoff guy

If he gets in the entire hall of fame is invalidated

Brown should absolutely not, 2nd liner at best, was never a top 5 player on those kings teams

Toews will like I said, because of the cups, and the olympic golds (had a good 2010 but was essentially a 4th line guy), world championships and world juniors dont really matter imo except for guys in the triple gold

I'd argue he was lucky to be on a team with a generational forward and d man with kane and keith, and then the depth behind them

I just dont see how anyone can say toews is better than guys like mogilny, roenick, and Turgeon amongst others

Tkachuk had 500 goals that should be auto, way more goalies should go in, JVB probly biggest outlier rughy now

Turgeon was my favorite player growing up. Still have the jersey I got when I was 12 or 13 that fit me like a hockey jersey...now it's like the tighest Under Armor you can buy (short sleeve). Wore it to a playoff game against the Leafs first or second year in the new barn. Rob Ray scored and the fucking roof blew off the place.

Moginly as well, how he's not in the HOF is seriously criminal. Dude was the best goal scorer of his generation (top 3 at least), and was also one of the first to defect from Mother Russia. There's a great book called the Red Mafiya that tells a couple of WILD stories (there's a chapter or 2 about the NHL) about Moginly and I think it was Zhitnik during their time here in Buffalo...brush up with the Russian Mafia. Absoutely insane stuff.

Turgeon was my favorite player growing up. Still have the jersey I got when I was 12 or 13 that fit me like a hockey jersey...now it's like the tighest Under Armor you can buy (short sleeve). Wore it to a playoff game against the Leafs first or second year in the new barn. Rob Ray scored and the fucking roof blew off the place.

Moginly as well, how he's not in the HOF is seriously criminal. Dude was the best goal scorer of his generation (top 3 at least), and was also one of the first to defect from Mother Russia. There's a great book called the Red Mafiya that tells a couple of WILD stories (there's a chapter or 2 about the NHL) about Moginly and I think it was Zhitnik during their time here in Buffalo...brush up with the Russian Mafia. Absoutely insane stuff.
I'll pick it up, I love that stuff about the CSKA teams at the end of the USSR. Mogilny should arguably be in for that alone as a builder for the risk he took as the first guy and players that followed, I'd have Bure ahead of him as a pure goal scorer but after that its he and Selanne as the next group.

I thought for sure hed get in the last two years, Lowe and Alfredsson over him makes no sense, think he does this year, could be a catch up year for a few guys, Henrik Lundquist is the only first timer who's in for sure

Russian Mafia was definitely involved with those early Russians who came over, rumor is Larionov left here because he didnt want to deal with them, Bure used to go to one of the
hotels here a few times a week that the Russians would book the penthouse for parties

I'll pick it up, I love that stuff about the CSKA teams at the end of the USSR. Mogilny should arguably be in for that alone as a builder for the risk he took as the first guy and players that followed, I'd have Bure ahead of him as a pure goal scorer but after that its he and Selanne as the next group.

I thought for sure hed get in the last two years, Lowe and Alfredsson over him makes no sense, think he does this year, could be a catch up year for a few guys, Henrik Lundquist is the only first timer who's in for sure

Russian Mafia was definitely involved with those early Russians who came over, rumor is Larionov left here because he didnt want to deal with them, Bure used to go to one of the p
hotels here a few times a week that the Russians had would book the penthouse for parties

Apparently, Moginly is being black balled in a way, because the NHL doesn't think he'll show up for the ceremony itself. He didn't show up in Buffalo when number was retired either. There really isn't another explanation at this point. There is zero case to be made against Moginly not being in the HOF.

Brown was a “ heart and soul” guy for the Kings. He was a hitter and a hard nose guy. Intangibles like him do not get the honors. But they are integral in the teams structure. For a player who hit as much, his career lasted pretty long.

It’s not even so much me as it’s Roenick….he’s good.

Certainly not the same, but seems a good spot to put it. What a great moment here for Anderson. If your alergies aren't acting up when he goes over to his family, you and I will never be friends.

Buffalo fans are awesome when it comes to hockey, next year that arena will be full more often than it's not and it'll feel like the good old days. Can't wait.

That’s really cool. One can only hope to be respected that much in their line of work.

Certainly not the same, but seems a good spot to put it. What a great moment here for Anderson. If your alergies aren't acting up when he goes over to his family, you and I will never be friends.

Buffalo fans are awesome when it comes to hockey, next year that arena will be full more often than it's not and it'll feel like the good old days. Can't wait.

Is Levi gonna be ready to be the number 1 next year?

Biggest need imo

Division is kinda opening up a bit next few years, outside toronto I wouldnt say any of the teams that finished above you guys are built to last long, bruins and lightning are definitely getting older in their cores

Buffalo, Ottawa, and detroit are all gonna be exciting next few years, montreal a bit further away, need to hit on this years 1st

I really want a Leafs/Sabres series in next few years

Toews had 80 points only one time - How many 80 points seasons does Patrice Bergeron have under his belt? Survey says, zero. Bergeron a sure fire hall of famer, albeit with zero stanley cups at present as well.
And don't even get me started on Guy Carbonneau. Dude didn't even have a 60 point season. Yeah yeah, selke trophies, blah. Those are given more on reputation than actual stats sometimes, akin to gold gloves in baseball.
You can't penalize a guy for being on a team with Kane and Keith, et al.
I'm not even a Hawks fan, far from it, but he's been a pretty great two way forward for 15 years now. Elite, no, but if you win three cups and are not just a Robert Horry type role player, let alone the captain of the team, you've got a pretty good shot of getting in. You want to throw Roenick in the hall as well, I'm good with that. Mogilny was a nice offensive player, but I mean come on, he had received Hart trophy votes in exactly one year in the nhl. Prolific goal scorer at nearly .48 gpg but that's fewer gpg than Pierre Larouche. Pierre Turgeon has a bit stronger case as he was a very good player for a very long time, but ffs did he even make a Stanley Cup final in is career? I'm not saying Stanley Cups are the be all/end all of HOF consideration, as obviously if it was you'd see Esa Tikkanen in there, but it don't hurt to at least get your team into one.

Last edited:
Toews had 80 points only one time - How many 80 points seasons does Patrice Bergeron have under his belt? Survey says, zero. Bergeron a sure fire hall of famer, albeit with zero stanley cups at present as well.
And don't even get me started on Guy Carbonneau. Dude didn't even have a 60 point season. Yeah yeah, selke trophies, blah. Those are given more on reputation than actual stats sometimes, akin to gold gloves in baseball.
You can't penalize a guy for being on a team with Kane and Keith, et al.
I'm not even a Hawks fan, far from it, but he's been a pretty great two way forward for 15 years now. Elite, no, but if you win three cups and are not just a Robert Horry type role player, let alone the captain of the team, you've got a pretty good shot of getting in. You want to throw Roenick in the hall as well, I'm good with that. Mogilny was a nice offensive player, but I mean come on, he had received Hart trophy votes in exactly one year in the nhl. Prolific goal scorer at nearly .48 gpg but that's fewer gpg than Pierre Larouche. Pierre Turgeon has a bit stronger case as he was a very good player for a very long time, but ffs did he even make a Stanley Cup final in is career? I'm not saying Stanley Cups are the be all/end all of HOF consideration, as obviously if it was you'd see Esa Tikkanen in there, but it don't hurt to at least get your team into one.
Bergeron and carbonneau are two of the top two defensive forwards of all time

Dont think the comparison is fair there

Toews was a very good 2nd line forward on very good teams

Like I've said he will get in, just saying I don't think hes a hall of fame level player, hes hall of very good who happened to play for some elite teams

If he cant be penalized for having kane and Keith on his team, he shouldnt get rewarded for it either, like the tikkanen example, he wasnt rewarded with a hhof induction because people knew 99, messier, coffee etc, were the drivers

Is Levi gonna be ready to be the number 1 next year?

Biggest need imo

Division is kinda opening up a bit next few years, outside toronto I wouldnt say any of the teams that finished above you guys are built to last long, bruins and lightning are definitely getting older in their cores

Buffalo, Ottawa, and detroit are all gonna be exciting next few years, montreal a bit further away, need to hit on this years 1st

I really want a Leafs/Sabres series in next few years

Yes, Levi should be ready. The plan seems to be he’s the #1 either way.

Back