OffSeason Stuff

bloodhound

Sniffing out wins
I couldnt help but smile when I saw that AJ Burnett turned down $12.75M to pitch for the Phillies next year... does that mean he thinks he's going to get more somewhere else? :) Wow......
Maybe I am out of touch with what some of the so so players are worth??

I'm guessing that had more to do with not wanting to pitch for the Phillies than anything else (that and maybe try to wrangle a two or three year deal out of someone for one last pay day). On another note, good riddance Adam Lind...

Word is he may retire. But he really must have hated philly cuz turning down 12.5 mill is nuts to me. But he has made over 125 mil in his career.

Word is he may retire. But he really must have hated philly cuz turning down 12.5 mill is nuts to me. But he has made over 125 mil in his career.
read that he wants to pitch for a contending team that is in the vicinity of his Maryland home...so that leaves Baltimore and Washington?

Guess if he's willing to pitch for Philly, you can throw Pitt back into the list.

As ESPN.com's Jayson Stark writes, "Burnett opted to pass on a dollar figure he is unlikely to receive in free agency for the chance to finish his career with a team better positioned to contend than the Phillies. Burnett pitched most of the season with a hernia condition that required postseason surgery and struggled to an 8-18 record with a 4.59 ERA.

"He led the National League in losses and allowed the most earned runs and walks of any starter in the league. But he also struck out 190 hitters in 213 2/3 innings, and his strikeout ratio and the 8.6 hits he allowed per nine innings were similar to his numbers in Pittsburgh in 2012, when he went 16-10 with a 3.51 ERA."

I call BS but you never know....

According to Mark Feinsand and Bill Madden of the New York Daily News, "the Yankees have no plans to pursue either Max Scherzer or Jon Lester, the top two free agents on the market this winter. James Shields, the third-best free-agent starter, is also off the Bombers' radar, as is Pablo Sandoval, the Giants' postseason hero who was given a $15.3 million qualifying offer by San Francisco before Monday's deadline."

"Instead, the Yankees are interested in bringing back two of their own, free agents Brandon McCarthy and Chase Headley, neither of whom was eligible to receive a qualifying offer after being traded to the Bronx this past July. A source said the Yankees would engage the pair aggressively in an attempt to lock them up," according to an article written by the pair.

The most obvious hole in the Yankees' lineup is at shortstop, with Derek Jeter having retired. Again, the thought is that "with J.J. Hardy signed to a new deal in Baltimore and Hanley Ramirezreceiving a qualifying offer from the Dodgers, it's possible the Yankees could try to bring backStephen Drew with the hope that a full spring training would return him to his pre-2014 level."

Back