OFFICIAL DEAL - KG to Celtics

reNew Orleans

Clubbin' with Rasual Butler
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/10275030

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="10">
</td> <td>
Celtics agree to acquire Garnett for four players, draft pick
</td> </tr></tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td width="10"> </td> <td> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap"> July 30, 2007
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports </td> <td width="10"> </td> <td align="right"> <script language="JavaScript"><!--// var dclkFeaturesponsor='http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/sponsorships.spln.com/fs/stories/'+vTag+';'+vTarget+';'+uID+';sz=234x42;tile=5;ord='+random+'?'; if (switchDclk != 'off') { if (location.search.substring(1).indexOf('DCLK')>-1) document.write('<input type="text" value="'+dclkFeaturesponsor+'" style="width:">
'); document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="'+dclkFeaturesponsor+'"><\/script>'); } // --></script><script src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/sponsorships.spln.com/fs/stories/nba;arena=nba;feat=stories;type=psa;user=Named;ct=USA;st=LA;ac=225;gend=M;age=A;occ=13;seg=nonaol;adv=b;cust=yes;fteam=NFL-NO;fteam=NBA-NO;fteam=MLB-none;fteam=NHL-none;fteam=NCAAF-LSU;fteam=NCAAB-LSU;pteam=NHL-none;pteam=NCAAF-TLN;pteam=NCAAB-TLN;fplay=TEN-none;fplay=AUTO-none;pplay=TEN-none;pplay=AUTO-none;u=henry_lin;sz=234x42;tile=5;ord=2663228311931465?"></script>
dot.gif
<noscript></noscript> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td></tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="10"> </td> <td> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
<!-- T10275030 --><!-- Sesame Modified: 07/30/2007 17:52:48 --><!-- sversion: 4 $Updated: fagan$ -->
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told the Associated Press on Monday. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson. [/FONT]
<table align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="180"> <tbody><tr> <td width="180">
img10275099.jpg
</td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="180"> Kevin Garnett is a 10-time All-Star and has been named to the All-Defense team eight times. (Getty Images) </td> <td width="15"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] A long, lean 6-foot-11 forward who's actually at least 2 inches taller than his listed height, Garnett's athleticism has allowed him to play all over the court -- banging against bodies in the post, swatting away shots in the lane, running the fast break, shooting top-of-the-key jumpers and even playing point guard every once in a while. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] A preps-to-the-pros pioneer, Garnett's immediate impact after being selected fifth overall in 1995 by the Timberwolves paved a path for dozens and dozens of other teenagers to skip college and declare for the draft -- most of whom enjoyed far less success. [/FONT]
</td></tr></tbody></table>
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Then in October 1997, Garnett's contract changed the game -- a six-year, $126 million extension that led to significant alterations to the league's collective bargaining agreement emerging from a lockout that delayed the start of the 1998-99 season. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Garnett forever changed the franchise in Minnesota, too. The year before he was drafted, the T-Wolves set an NBA mark for futility with their fourth straight 60-loss season. In just his second season, he helped lead Minnesota to its first playoff appearance -- the first of eight straight. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] The last of those was the best, when the "Big Ticket" was at his peak. He won the league's MVP award and led the T-Wolves within two wins of the NBA finals in 2004. Garnett averaged 24.2 points and a league-high 13.9 rebounds that season, joining Larry Bird as the only players to average at least 20 points, 10 rebounds and five assists for five consecutive years. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] But those idyllic days quickly ended for the T-Wolves, who have fired two coaches and not made the playoffs since then. Part of their problem has been Garnett's huge salary, but vice president Kevin McHale has also missed on several moves. Though he never requested a trade or said he was unhappy in Minnesota, Garnett expressed frustration with some of McHale's decisions and challenged McHale to upgrade the roster. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Teammate Mark Madsen was surprised by the news. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "I never thought it would happen this offseason. I never thought it would happen, ever," Madsen said, adding: "Even before I entered the NBA, when I thought of Kevin Garnett I always thought of Minnesota. But at the same time in this business, we all know that anything can happen." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] « Back · 1 · 2 [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006-2007, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
[/FONT]

Man, Telfair just can't find a home.

Good for KG, get out of the west, see if you can do something in the east.

i just cant see who is going to be able to stop KG in the east. bosh/bargnani, kristic/magloire, dalembert/steven hunter, randolph/lee/curry in his division.

i just cant see who is going to be able to stop KG in the east.

That's what's great about it for him. He probably won't dunk on people like he used to, or at least, as much as he used to. But he should put up some great numbers every night.

all 3 of those players must be fucking estatic.

Pierce finally gets help
Allen finally gets help
Garnett finally gets help

Boston finally has a decent team. lol aight Doc Rivers u better do something good.

T Wolves get the best deal in this, especially if they get Green. Jefferson will be an routine all-star in his career. Probably will win more than KG, too. I believe KG can opt out this year, and Pierce and Allen aren't young. This team has a good 1-3 years for a title. Jefferson will be a franchise piece for the next 10-15yrs.

jefferson is the best player in the nba nobody knows about. time for him to break out and show it.

too bad boston still has no coach, bench, 1 or 5. lmao at teams who trade their young talent who hasnt reached potential.

garnett just cant get away from crappy boston players. nobody can be as bad as ricky davis tho ... right?

c's and garnett agree to 3 year extension, to tag onto the two years left on his current contract. hes coming to the garden for a press conference to be held at 6:00. pierce and allen will be there as well. man they all must be so pumped.

I don't want to be the "hater" here, but we're looking at three really good all stars and a roster of garbage. I really may be in the minority, but I think the TWolves are the ones who come out ahead in this trade. Don't get me wrong, I certainly think this trade makes the Celtics one of the top 3 three teams in the East and possibly the best, but they're not winning a championship and after three years they're going to be rebuilding for quite awhile.

They just signed eddie house! wow.

the starting 5 could look very scary.
pg-house
sg-allen
sf-rondo
pf-pierce
c-garnett

hell it worked for phoenix

Back