Off Season Talk

Santacapper

Pretty much a regular
Been chiecking out http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2505711

Nothing really has happened since the Leafs signed Peca other than players avoiding arbitration etc.

Vancouver added a great goalie, but lost a great defenseman too... They IMO dont have much team speed and thats what gets it done in this new NHL.

Leafs signing Kubina to that amount is beyond me:down:

Is there a more dysfunctional franchise than the Islanders in the NHL today? I mean come on... Garth Snow `:36_7_4: And you thought the Milbury era was bad :spank:

My early thoughts are that Buffalo takes the cup next year. money;

LA Kings

resigned Avery

:tired: is what most may think...but (being a King fan) this makes me very happy.

We're jsut in a lull now. Things will pick up again in a while.

Signing Avery is a good move..everyone hates him..including his own team...but the guy can play..if he keeps his nose somewhat clean and play on the top 2 lines...he can getr 20-25 goals.

Hey man,
It's San Jose SOuth with Lombardi the GM and picking up washed up Scott Thorton and Alyn McCauley...:down:

dont like the Kings since the Gretzky / Ven Hellemand incident :spank:

I agree, Avery will help the Kings, just have to keep his mouth shut. Maybe put a muzzle in his contract.

Im not sold on the Sharks and their goalie situation though, thats just my opinion however.

Calgary looks like a great team in the West for myself. Adding Tanguay and a capable backup in MClennan along with Friessen I think are great additions

SHSU - I was top 10 for the longest time, then had to make a run to get into the money and started choosing plays I didnt put money on to get where I wanted... Didnt work. I think I ended up 17th or something. THink I finished the year on my plays at 61% and +50 some odd units with all 1 unit plays. Looking forward to this season:hammer:

Santacapper said:
SHSU - I was top 10 for the longest time, then had to make a run to get into the money and started choosing plays I didnt put money on to get where I wanted... Didnt work. I think I ended up 17th or something. THink I finished the year on my plays at 61% and +50 some odd units with all 1 unit plays. Looking forward to this season:hammer:

should be total plays, I didnt play a side after the first 3 weeks i think... one too many 3 goal defecits were erased for the team I was backing :moose:

Thanks Fondy, appreciate it. Same goes for me man:shake:

not much more movement other than front office stuff :pouty:

Rob Blake is mostly a waste of space at this point in his career. He is a primadonna who isn't going to pay the price in the playoffs, pure and simple. He was putrid for the Avs this spring, him getting 6 million a year on a multiyear deal is a joke. Good luck Kings fans you can have him back.

NIck, what do you think of your Avs chances to make the playoffs? I think they have one of the toughest divisions going into the season. Weak on the left side and in the pipes IMO.

Lots of turnover with Tanguay, Hinote, Blake leaving with Arnasson coming in. Liles was a good re-sign IMO. Thoght they would be more active this summer with the aging lineup.
:nervous:

Avs have no chance next year unless Theodore becomes Patrick Roy over night. Then they'd have to scrape to make the playoffs. Defense was garbage all last year and I doubt anything changes. Also hard to imagine them being one of the top goal scoring teams again like last year. They will suck, trust me.

I actually thought the Avs overachieved last year. They got the most out of what they had out of any of their non-cup years for sure, and still werent even really close. Anaheim made them look like a junior team.

Yeah, their special teams will be severely hurting this year. Best PK is your goalie and well... Theodore had one good year, the rest :nervous:

Welcome to my world as a Leaf fan :drinking: :hairout:

Hey you guys got Raycroft and added some D! lol if you count Hall Gill anyway (what the hell was that move?)

yeah the northwest div is going to be nuts this year. There isn't a crappy goalie in the bunch, in fact what 3 former vezina winners or finalists? with roloson and fernandez as well.

Not to mention Pavel Kubina for 5 mill a year:gun: :money2:

Raycroft will be nice in a few years when they finally get younger. They do have a good core group of young guys like Coliacova, Bell, and Wellwood. The way the Leafs were built before the lock out was not the way you need to be for the 'new NHL' and that will take a few years to make any noise if they do.

But hey, ML Sports Entertainment is more about the seats being filled and lining the pockets than the productmoney;

Always be a fan though:drinking:

Worse for the teams in the top the way the playoff seedings work in the NHL. Might not necessarily be a good thing to win your divison if you have to play a MInnesotta or Vancouver etc

well the defensive market was obviously insane. Hell Chara is like the highest paid player in the game and even guys like Spacek were getting 3 million a year. Kubina is a good defenseman atleast but yeah that is outrageous.

Its not as bad a move as trading aebischer and his 1.9 million slary for theodore and his 6 million or whatever. Pierre Lacroix really butchered the avs I hate that guy.

no idea what he has been thinking lately... but he has made some good moves before... just not recently.

is it hockey season yet:hammer:

im not convinced Lacroix ever knew what he was doing. The avs core was already drafted and assembled before he even took over. Patrick Roy fell in his lap (took a real genious to make that move), and he did make an outstanding trade for bourque(he did swindle them when you think about it), but every single other trade he made was a complete disastor. Fleury for Regehr? Drury for Morris? then playing santa (haha) and giving morris and top prospect keith ballard to the yotes for ossi vaananen and gratton (huh?). Aebischer for theodore was the straw that broke the camels back for me, aebischer is CLEARLY the better of the two goalies so nice way to piss away 10% of your cap space yet make the team worse. He couldnt find a way to keep forsberg, or Foote the true heart and soul of the team (not a joe sakic fan really hes not near the same either). Did this guy even know ANYTHING about hockey? as a kid even i knew at the time these deals were crappy at the time. He never signed a good free agent, just kept pissing away assets in mostly useless trades.

That being said Francois Giguere looks like he is very sharp. I wouldnt have paid tanguay 5 million a year either, considering hes UFA next year to get Leopold and a top 20 ISS skater with the draft pick is a damn good move that also cleared 4 million bucks this year. He also signed Ken Klee (how did he not get 3 million too lol)

Yes hockey season and I can't wait. I cant believe the Avs kings exhibition game here in vegas is only a few months away.

Also add in he gave away Martin Skoula for Kurt Sauer (whaaaa?)

Forgot about all those deals but going back he has made some head scratchers... Kasparitis never really amounted to much the year he was brought in...

Guess the Nordiques took the Flyers for all they were worth and got the ball rolling in Colorado... Could be worse... could have Bobby Clarke or worse anybody in the Islanders front office running your team:gun:

Mike Millbury's Finest

G Damian Rhodes and D Wade Redden traded from NYI to OTT for G Don Beaupre, RW Martin Straka & D Bryan Berard Bryan McCabe,

C Todd Bertuzzi and a third-round draft pick to Vancouver for Trevor Linden.

G Roberto Luongo and F Olli Jokinen to the Florida Panthers for F Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish,

C Alexei Yashin from Ottawa for D Zdeno Chara, RW Bill Muckalt, and the second overall pick in the 2001 Draft (Jason Spezza)

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Back