Off-Season News and Notes...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
<header class="article-header" style="box-sizing: border-box; max-width: 640px; margin: 0px auto 20px; position: relative; z-index: 1000035; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: BentonSans, -apple-system, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Alabama transfer Blake Barnett immediately eligible to play for Arizona St.

</header>7:22 PM ET
  • i

Ted MillerESPN Senior Writer

Arizona State quarterback Blake Barnett, a transfer from Alabama, will be immediately eligible for the Sun Devils, per an appeal ruling from the NCAA on Tuesday.
Barnett, a redshirt sophomore, left Alabama on Sept. 28, four games into the 2016 season, after freshman Jalen Hurts became established as the Crimson Tide's starter. As a transfer, he'd typically be required to sit out a calendar year if not for the ruling, which was first reported by The Arizona Republic.
<aside class="inline inline-photo full" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: BentonSans, -apple-system, Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: solid; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(220, 221, 223); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; clear: both; margin: 6px 0px 18px; padding: 0px 0px 15px; width: 565px;"><figure style="box-sizing: border-box; line-height: 0; margin: 0px; position: relative;">
<source data-srcset="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570, <a href=" http:="" a3.espncdn.com="" combiner="" i?img="%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40&quot;" target="_blank">http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?im...tt_r3138_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40 2x" media="(min-width: 376px)" srcset="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570, <a href="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40" target="_blank">http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?im...tt_r3138_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40 2x" style="box-sizing: border-box;"><source data-srcset="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=375, <a href=" http:="" a3.espncdn.com="" combiner="" i?img="%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=750&cquality=40&quot;" target="_blank">http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?im...ett_r3138_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=750&cquality=40 2x" media="(max-width: 375px)" srcset="http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0821%2Fblakebarnett_r3138_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=375, http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?im...ett_r3138_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=750&cquality=40 2x" style="bo
</figure></aside>Instead, he will compete with returning starter Manny Wilkins, a junior, to run the Sun Devils offense in the season opener on Aug. 31 against New Mexico State.
Arizona State also this week announced the hiring of Billy Napier as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Napier was Alabama's receivers coach, so he is familiar with Barnett.
Barnett, who played at Santiago High School in Corona, California, was rated the No. 1 pocket passer in the 2015 recruiting class. He started Alabama's 2016 season opener against Southern California but lost his job to Hurts. He played in three of the first four games, completing 11 of 19 passes for 219 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Is he any good? He lost his job to a bum freshman passer.

Ya - he will put up big numbers there. P12 has a few legit QB Heisman contenders coming back - Darnold, Browning, Rosen, Falk, Herbert and then lotta question marks after that so I would say as of now my opinion would be he will be a top 6 QB in that conference. I don't think his ability was ever in question at Bama I think it was too big of a stage for him too early. He was a 5 star, #2 QB in nation 2015 recruiting cycle behind Josh Rosen.

Seems like a dangerous precedent to set. The era of college player free agency is here

Ya - he will put up big numbers there. P12 has a few legit QB Heisman contenders coming back - Darnold, Browning, Rosen, Falk, Herbert and then lotta question marks after that so I would say as of now my opinion would be he will be a top 6 QB in that conference. I don't think his ability was ever in question at Bama I think it was too big of a stage for him too early. He was a 5 star, #2 QB in nation 2015 recruiting cycle behind Josh Rosen.

Yeah talent never the question. Just unlucky that Hurts came in unfazed by the stage. The dad is a handful. At least he's familiar with his new OC

<header style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 12px;">[h=1]BREAKING: Harris set to transfer[/h][h=2]LSU junior quarterback Brandon Harris is set to transfer out of the program.[/h]
  • Shea Dixon - <time data-published="2017-02-13 14:04:20Z" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Arial, sans-serif;">19 hours ago</time>
</header>[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]
[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]<section style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Arial, sans-serif; width: calc(100% - 300px); padding: 20px 10px; float: left;"><section class="body article" id="activeArticle" style="box-sizing: border-box; overflow: hidden; width: 658.857px;"><figure class="aligncenter figure" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: proxima_nova_rgregular, Arial, sans-serif; margin: 0px auto 15px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent; text-align: center; float: none;">
6_3873183.jpg
<figcaption style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Arial, sans-serif;">[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular](Photo: Derick E. Hingle, USA TODAY Sports)[/FONT]</figcaption></figure>[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]With three seasons in the books at LSU, Brandon Harris will not be back for his senior campaign.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]On Monday, Harris announced his decision to transfer from LSU. He added that he's been granted a full release from head coach Ed Orgeron. Harris said he plans to graduate from LSU, presumably this spring, and transfer from there. If Harris graduates, he will be able to transfer to another FBS program without having to sit out a year.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Harris first appeared in action for the Tigers during his freshman season in 2014, but his breakout campaign came during his sophomore season. He took over the starting quarterback duties and finished the year with 2,165 yards, 13 touchdowns and six interceptions. Harris started out the 2016 season as LSU's No. 1 quarterback, but was passed up by Danny Etling. Harris threw for 452 yards, six touchdowns and two interceptions during his final season in the program[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Harris did not reveal which schools he might look at next, but his departure provides a little more clarity to LSU's offseason quarterback battle. Etling, the team's returning starter, is now the only senior quarterback on the roster. Justin McMillan, Lindsey Scott and Lowell Narcisse will all participate in spring ball, and freshman Myles Brennan will arrive to campus this summer.[/FONT]
</section></section>[/FONT]

Ole Miss is likely to receive an amended NOA soon. The word is that it will prominently feature Leo Lewis, who plays for State. Even if you hate Ole Miss or don't give a shit either way, that should bother you. The NCAA's use of "immunity" should worry everybody, at least everybody in the SEC anyway. I think multiple Level 1s are coming.

Well, that coach is going to Oregon now so we should see all the Oregon backlash from Pete today on his show, right?

Clemson lost both of its DL coaches.

Dan Brooks, who coached the interior linemen, tried to retire a few years back, but Dabo persuaded him to stick around. He could bring in talent and coach 'em up, and he'll be missed.

He ended his career on a high note, with the national championship and the honor of being named Assistant-Coach-of-the-Year in 2016 by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA). His DL were big contributors to the championship team, and he signed 5* Tee Higgins and 4* Amari Rodgers (Tee Martin's son) out of the Vols' backyard in his final recruiting campaign. He spent 15 years at UT under Fulmer, including 4 years as recruiting coordinator (1999-2002).

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205529387

Losing Marion Hobby, who coached the ends, was a surprise. He joined the Jacksonville Jaguars' staff. He did a god job developing talent and was a good recruiter (though not in Brooks's league).

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...-new-defensive-line-coach-clemson-tigers-dabo

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk will play his sixth season of eligibility at another institution, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Monday.
“First and foremost, we are 100 percent supportive of Thomas and his decision to complete his eligibility at another school,” Cutcliffe said. “I’ve said it many times before: Thomas is an incredible young man. He’s conscientious, dedicated and what I would consider the ultimate teammate due to his selflessness and leadership qualities. Thomas loves Duke. He and I have had great discussion regarding this decision, and his love for this university and everything it represents is what made this decision so difficult for him.
“Since arriving on campus, Thomas has done everything we’ve asked him to do, plus some,” Cutcliffe continued. “The injuries he’s endured have been well documented, but his perseverance to recover from those setbacks is one of many attributes that make him such a special person. On the field, I don’t think we’ve had a player with a greater combination of toughness and competitiveness, and his impact on our program has extended from the field, into both the classroom and locker room and beyond. The greatest thing I can say about Thomas is that he earned the respect from every player, coach and staff member within our program by achieving levels of character and spirit exemplified by only the best of the best.”
Sirk graduated from Duke in May, 2016 with a degree in political science while minoring in education. He is scheduled to complete degree requirements for a master’s degree in liberal studies this spring. In November of 2016, Sirk was granted an extension of eligibility by the NCAA, making him eligible to participate in the 2017 football season.
“I am beyond thankful for my time spent at Duke University,” Sirk said. “I will never take for granted the relationships I’ve built with the entire Duke community, especially my teammates and coaches. The men in the locker room have become my family over the course of five years, and calling them teammates would be an understatement.
“When I joined the program in the spring of 2012, I never expected that I would leave here with two degrees and to become the man that I am today,” Sirk continued. “I am grateful that Coach Cutcliffe believed in me to play quarterback at the next level when not very many people did. I will carry with me the life lessons I learned both on and off the field and I’ll leave Duke University prepared to handle any situation that life could throw my way. More importantly, I have learned that excellence is the standard. Although my time here is coming to an end, I will forever remain DukeGang, and I will always call Duke University home.”
Duke will grant Sirk an eligibility transfer release to include all schools except members of the Atlantic Coast Conference, Army West Point, Baylor, N.C. Central and Northwestern.
Sirk did not see game action for the Blue Devils in 2016, which was scheduled to serve as his fifth season of eligibility. He suffered a partial tear of his left Achilles tendon during a practice on August 25. Despite the injury, he was elected as a team captain for the 2016 season. Sirk had ruptured his left Achilles tendon on February 9 of 2016 and missed the 2013 campaign after suffering a ruptured right Achilles tendon in April of that year.
A 6-4, 220-pound native of Glen St. Mary, Fla., Sirk started 12 games in 2015 and completed 251-of-427 (.588) passes for 2,625 yards with 16 touchdowns and eight interceptions while rushing for a team-best 803 yards and eight scores on 163 attempts. Sirk’s 3,428 total offensive yards rank as the second highest single-season total in school history, trailing only Anthony Dilweg’s 3,713 yards in 1988.
In the ACC, Sirk finished the 2015 season ranking third in total offensive yards per game (285.7), fifth in passing yards per game (218.8) and 10th in rushing yards per game (66.9). In addition, he spearheaded an offense that was one of just three units in the league to rank among the conference’s top five in scoring offense, total offense, rushing offense and passing offense, joining Clemson and North Carolina. Sirk, an Academic All-ACC and CoSIDA Academic All-District III honoree in 2015, earned ACC Offensive Back of the Week accolades after leading Duke to a 45-43 four overtime win at Virginia Tech on October 24, 2015, by accounting for 379 total yards (270 passing & 109 rushing) with four touchdown passes and the game-winning PAT rush to end the longest game in ACC history.
On December 26, 2015, Sirk guided Duke to a 44-41 overtime win over Indiana in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl by compiling 318 yards of total offense while rushing for two touchdowns and throwing for a third score. He was named the game’s co-MVP along with running back Shaun Wilson as the Blue Devils won their first bowl game since a 7-6 decision over Arkansas in the Cotton Bowl on January 2, 1961.
Sirk completes his 24-game Duke career having completed 261-of-441 (.592) pass attempts for 2,692 yards with 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions while rushing 210 times for 1,041 yards and 16 touchdowns. He joins Mike Dunn (1975-78) as the only players in Duke history to throw for 2,500-plus yards and rush for 1,000-plus yards.
On Duke’s career charts, Sirk ranks tied for second in 100-yard rushing games by a quarterback (2), fourth in rushing yards by a quarterback, tied for fourth in rushing touchdowns by a quarterback, ninth in yards per rushing attempt (4.96), 18th in passing yards, tied for 19th in rushing touchdowns and 43rd in rushing yards. In addition, he owns the Duke records for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception to begin a career (93) and most rushing yards in a bowl game (155 vs. Indiana in the 2015 New Era Pinstripe Bowl).

USCe backup QB and baseball player, Brandon McIlwain, transferring. My guess is he pursues baseball if he has any professional sports aspirations.

Weinke is TTown. Makes the game even more interesting

I was thinking about this today - the talent at safety in the GA dome that night is going to be something else. I'm gonna post up a killer youtube highlight mix that just dropped for Bama FS Ronnie "ShivBoot Ron" Harrison I think you'll enjoy being as he's a Tally boy :tiphat:

I was thinking about this today - the talent at safety in the GA dome that night is going to be something else. I'm gonna post up a killer youtube highlight mix that just dropped for Bama FS Ronnie "ShivBoot Ron" Harrison I think you'll enjoy being as he's a Tally boy :tiphat:

Jefe - NSFW. I want a prop that 15 will be personally accountable for 175 yards in penalties in 2017 and I'll take the over and enjoy every unnecessary roughness call.

[video=youtube;nWwcT33pO2A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWwcT33pO2A[/video]

Asiasi going to UCLA.

Sucks he got homesick but he is going to be a very good one. Now, going to UCLA definitely tells me he was homesick since they don't really use a TE all that much.

Asiasi going to UCLA.

Sucks he got homesick but he is going to be a very good one. Now, going to UCLA definitely tells me he was homesick since they don't really use a TE all that much.

He a pretty good player? I remember the name but not much else. I guess if you're talented enough you can be criminally underutilized and still be a 1st rounder at TE - see Howard, OJ.

He a pretty good player? I remember the name but not much else. I guess if you're talented enough you can be criminally underutilized and still be a 1st rounder at TE - see Howard, OJ.

Very good player. Harbaugh got him to leave SoCal and a package deal to come up this way. He only had 2 catches for 19 yards but obviously UM has 19 TE's on the roster. He would have been featured prominently this year. Excellent blocker.

Very tight with his family,etc...left on good terms...helluva pickup for UCLA...

It is a loss for UM, but the one position they could afford too with virtually no problem.

Very good player. Harbaugh got him to leave SoCal and a package deal to come up this way. He only had 2 catches for 19 yards but obviously UM has 19 TE's on the roster. He would have been featured prominently this year. Excellent blocker.

Very tight with his family,etc...left on good terms...helluva pickup for UCLA...

It is a loss for UM, but the one position they could afford too with virtually no problem.

sit out the year? What kinda release?

Great article. Guice is the real deal and he's was the best RB on that team last year. Love his game and seems like a genuinely good person too. Makes you want to pull for guys like Guice and Randolph from FSU.

Yep and yep. In future, hope he gets solid financial advisor that helps him balance his love for his homies and makes sure he is set for life.

Clemson's spring game is tomorrow at 2:30. Three QBs competing to replace Watson, and it's close enough that they're going live -- full contact/tackling of QBs will be permitted because they need to see designed runs, escapability, and scrambles.

According to a report, Antonio Callaway, Florida’s top wide receiver, has been cited for marijuana possession in Gainesville.

LSU nabs ANOTHER Texas Tech Red Raider transfer......this time a....wait for it... Wide Receiver!!!

Jonathan Giles caught 13 TDs last year and is leaving the pass happy Red Raider offense to come to LSU....man, the times are a changing

This makes 2 TT players, as LSU got Breiden Feheko(normally wouldnt like an OFFENSIVE player from TT lol, but this kid seems to have the minerals!!!)

The Tigahs also nab NCST TE, and son of one of the GOATS at WR Mr Randy Moss, Thaddeus Moss

all have to sit a year, but I kinda like all

kinda weird....he played early

most think he will go down a division to play right away

LSU has some problems.....CB aint one of 'em.

Greedy was shining and Fulton has more upside and what is likely coming in.......

wish him well

LSU pass rusher Arden Key returns to the team after leaving for "personal reasons"

it it was kept quiet and rumors were all over the place, but he is back

That's why you keep it quiet. You can work things out, and no one loses face.

And, wow, I just looked at the stats. This is a big deal for y'all.

Yep, key will be in convo for top 5 pick along w guys like Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Connor Williams, Derwin James..

Meanwhile, Clemson lost a second-string DE for the season.

Two-year Clemson letterman Richard Yeargin will miss the 2017 season after suffering a neck injury in an automobile accident over the weekend. The red-shirt junior from Lauderdale Lakes, Fla., was listed as a second-team defensive end at the end of spring practice.

“Richard suffered the same type of injury that Mike Williams had in 2015 as the result of an automobile accident over the weekend,” said Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney in a press release on Monday. “The good news is that he will be fine long term. He will miss this season as he recovers.”

The Clemson Insider has learned Yeargin was involved in a single-vehicle accident and no alcohol was involved.

Yeargin has been a reserve defensive end on Clemson teams that have gone 28-2 over the last two years. He had 15 tackles in 10 games as a freshman in 2015 and 14 tackles, including four tackles for loss, in 12 games during Clemson’s 2016 National Championship season.

Back