Oakland/Detroit & Colorado/San Francisco Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Bet This MLB Parlay at (+264) on Monday

Oakland Athletics vs. Detroit Tigers
Monday, May 9, 2022 at 7:10 p.m. ET at Comerica Park in Detroit

In a Rut

Team form is significant to consider because baseball games are played just about every day.

A lineup will enter into a rhythm -- whether that's a positive rhythm or a negative rhythm -- when a consistent pattern of performance emerges.

Right now, the Tiger lineup is enduring a consistent pattern of not being able to produce runs.

Detroit had scored two runs in four straight games before it was shut out in its last game.

The team leader in BA, Austin Meadows, rested yesterday due to an illness which renders him day-to-day.

Even if he plays, he is partaking in Detroit's overall bad form. In May, his BA is .118 and his slugging rate .176.

Paul Blackburn vs. Tiger Batters

Oakland starter Paul Blackburn is primed to bounce back in what has been, overall, a superb season for him.

He is earning career-best strikeout and walk rates while his FIP (like ERA, but factors out fielding) has never been better for him.

Blackburn relies primarily on his fastball, curveball, changeup and cutter.

He'll thrive with this healthy mixture of pitches against a Detroit lineup that ranks last-place by a wide margin in slugging against these pitches from righties.

Michael Pineda

Unlike Detroit's lineup, Tiger starter Michael Pineda enjoys fine form.

His ERA in his last start creates a misleading impression of the quality of his performance.

He yielded an unfortunately high BABIP (batting average of balls in play), which directly contributed to his high ERA.

However, his 2.62 FIP indicates that he performed well.

Oakland's Hitting Form

Fortunately for Pineda, Oakland resembles Detroit's lineup in terms of suffering poor hitting form.

The A's have scored a combined total of four runs in their past four games.

They scored three of those runs in a single game.

Pineda vs. Oakland Batters

Pineda will continue performing well today against the A's because he matches up well with them.

He throws three pitches: a fastball, changeup, and slider.

His numbers indicate the extent to which he excels at avoiding hard contact.

Perhaps the most important statistic is that the A's rank 29thin slugging against Pineda's three pitches from righties.

Colorado Rockies vs. San Francisco Giants
Monday, May 9, 2022 at 9:45 p.m ET at Oracle Park in San Francisco

Austin Gomber

Rockie starter Austin Gomber has found his groove.

He has allowed two earned runs or fewer in each of his last three starts while enduring at least six innings in each of them.

Two of those opponents rank in the upper half in runs per game. He faced one of those two opponents in the MLB's most hitters-friendly ballpark, Coors Field in Denver.

Gomber's form is thus well-tested.

Colorado's southpaw throws primarily a fastball-slider combo.

His fastball is more than serviceable as he rarely allows extra-base hits with it.

The slider is Gomber's most dangerous pitch, though. It whiffs batters at a strong rate with its higher spin rate

Gomber vs. Giant Batters

I like Gomber tonight because he matches up well against Giant batters.

San Francisco ranks last-place by a wide margin in slugging .210 against Gomber's two favorite pitches from lefties.

Expect little from Joc Pederson, for example. He is 0-for-14 so far in May.

Carlos Rodon

San Francisco starter Carlos Rodon may look scary to go against given his numbers.

But he has benefitted from facing teams that he matches up well against.

He is a lefty who primarily throws a fastball and slider. These two pitches make up about 93 percent of his arsenal.

Rodon has benefitted from facing Miami, Oakland, and Cleveland teams that rank bottom-10 in slugging against these two pitches from lefties.

Not a single one of his opponents has matched up well against him.

Rodon vs. Rockie Batters

Rodon's numbers will finally start to worsen because Rockie batters rank ninth in slugging against Rodon's pitches outside of Coors Field from lefties.

Look out, among others, for CJ Cron.

Cron has at least one hit in every game this month.

He is 10-for-23 (.435 BA) in May with a .783 slugging rate.

Parlay Verdict

Expect lulling Tiger and Athletic lineups that match up poorly with the opposing starting pitcher to create a snooze fest while the Rockies have San Francisco on upset alert.
Best Bet: Tigers/Athletics Under 7 at -110 & Rockies RL (+1.5) at -110 at +264 odds with BetOnline

I do think rox will hit rodon, I don’t have as much faith in Gomber tho, I think giants ugly numbers vs lhp thus far are more thanks to small sample and a early slump than a real issue hitting them. For some reason I think Gomber actually likes pitching at coors or has at least embraced it. Where he hasn’t liked pitching is AT&T park, his number in starts here (all last year) are insanely bad. In 3 starts he managed to allow 16 runs in 12 innings while walking more guys than he struck out, his 1st start of the 3 was actually a solid 6 inning performance but maybe a indicator of problems to come as he walked 4. The next 2 starts he never made it past the 4th inning allowing 14 runs in just 5+ innings. Giants pounded a solid cardinals lhp the other day and think they might be getting some of last years form back where they were a top 10 offense vs lhp. I hate overs but I think I like this one

Back