NY Giants

husky17

Wreck it Ralph....
man.. what a mess of an offseason

We let go Petitougt (O-line), lavar arrington (LB), carlos emmons (LB), and chad morton..

we signed up ruben droughns, kawika mitchel (good young linebacker from chiefs), and jason thompson? (lb from tenn)

we have 11 LB on the roster, but talk about drafting Paul P. from penn st, timmons from fla. st, or some other one.. i dont remember..

Id rather see us work with what we got, cause we do have depth at LB..

Gmen are eying Levi Brown (OT), a nd that hugee monster from central michigan..

Also have Dwayne jarret in radar, and cornerback's ross, houston, and safety merrieweather

Talk about soo much to pick from.. not sure what i'd like to see, I like Jarrett a lot, and think we could find some OT's in round 2..

any thoughts?

I'm gessing they let Luke go because of 2 reasons...
1) money
2) they were either impressed enough with Diehl on the outside or Guy Whiper developed enough to warrent a chance. They wouldn't just cut him for no reason. They also probably dont like all those penalties he committed.

Lavar Arrington has an injury history, and I believe his contract had a more option style. They would have had to up his pay to stay, and they weren't thrilled with his play. He was adequate before injury, but not that big play LB that they wanted.

Carlos Emmons... your complaing that he left? I'm really not one to dog on older players but the guy was getting hurt and noticibly slower than his hay day. I don't know why you'd want him to stay around.

Morton was a good return man... not sure why they let him go. Maybe Moss will have a larger role as a return man? Morton and Ponder were keys to that high scoring offense 2 years ago, with the outstanding field position they gave the Giants. I agree, why let Morton go? He wasn't making a lot of money, and was an above average return man last year, and real good two years ago. Maybe they didn't want to use a roster spot on a guy who exclusivly plays only special teams... I'm guessing Jennings and Moss see more returns.

I liked Brandon Jacobs last year and I do hold that belief that running backs are largly fungible... or replaceable. So much of that position depends on the line, and the offense. The biggest mistake the Giants could have made, was to either open up that piggy bank and sign a big time running back free agent, or draft a running back with their first round pick. I wouldn't be totally opposed to Mcghee for a 3rd rounder, but don't invest heavily on a RB. I think the GM is doing the right thing.

Droughns doesn't scare anybody, but he is a proven commodity. He isn't a star, but can be at least average. I'm guessing that it's Jacobs job, and Droughns is more of a change of pace/ backup player. The Giants could still draft a speedier player in the late rounds to have a diversified RB core ( Jacobs big back, Droughns mixed, and let's say Lorenzo Booker as a speedier back). Running backs can be had in the later rounds of the draft, and there is no reason to waste the 1st round pick on a back, when this team has other holes.

Mitchell is supposed to be a speedier player who can play in zone pass coverage. He isn't some super star acquisition, but he was a 2nd round pick and could fill a role.

I'd say the Giants biggest needs are Corner ( and safety), and outside linebacker. They could also select a DT or offensive tackle, or even receiver.

The biggest needs are at OLB, then Corner imho.
- Pierce isn't the most athletic LB, but he is smart. They could really use a big play LB, and I'd rather lean towards Timmons or Beason, instead of Poz.
- They could use a good man/man corner, and that could possibly be Chris Houston, Revis, or Ross from texas.

Corner is a more important position than RB and OLB. As a Giants fan, you should probably wish for a Corner in round 1, OLB in round 2, then best available and RB in the later rounds.

However, it wouldn't shock me if they took a tackle or receiver in round 1. When toomer got hurt, Manning really had two targets... Burress or Shockey. Sinorice Moss has to develop ( and stay healthy) and they could use another all around receiver.

i comparse moss to the likes of Dante Hall, or even Ted Ginn Jr.. while they are "wide recievers" they are there to return kicks/punts..

Petitougt wanted too much money and reese figured he'd start off fresh..

i'd like to see them draft a back in the 3rd or later rounds, where steals are possible (michael bush, the little guy from northern illi, the guy from harvard projected as last pick).. theres a lot of quality backs they can get in the later rounds..

within the first three rounds i think its essential to draft a WR, OT, and a CB in no particular order.. i do believe we have enough depth at LB where we dont need to draft an early round LB.

bears beat you silly on sunday night. devin hester returning your fg attempt for a td was priceless. thought i bring that up. gl this year on your boys.

rough division btw.

oh man.. i was at a bar drinking.. when i saw that return, i ordered two more pitchers and pounded them.. haha.. that was a terrible gamee for Eli and the g-men..

lol, look at my first post; its so up in the air its not funny; first round we could potentially draft an OL, LB, CB, or a WR.... basically all those positions should get drafted throughout the draft, with possibly a FB or RB in the mix as well

Aaron Ross (CB) and Steve Smith (WR) so far.. that helps a lot of issues, now I'd like to see us go OL, LB, and snag a steal in the later rounds for a quick little RB

Smith was probably the last of that core group of receivers that could have gone in round 1.

Can't complain with that. What about Michael Bush?

Lenard sounds like a smaller version of Brandon Jacobs.

Would you rather have Altford at DT or Tank Tyler? It looks like they drafted Alford to be a pass rusher who comes in on 3rd downs at the DT spot. I still want to see Jonas Seawright crack the starting lineup ( 350 pound DT).

I say the Giants have to look at O-Line, OLB, and RB in day 2.

OLB and a TE from western oregon? wtf? the TE pick confused me.. Mason Crosby was still on the board, and we have real issues at the kicking game

Deossi- will be at very worst a special teams guy, he does have a chance to play too

the tight end looks like a pass catcher ( former basketball guy)

Maybe they go after your boy from Notre Dame at RB in the next round.

Ya the mroe i looked into it, Boss will be a good backup to injury prone shockey.. he can catcha lot of balls, is athletic and quick.. picked up a O-lineman who is 6'5...but needs to bulk up..

NYG was in love with deossi, his dad used to play for them; they gave him a few interviews, so i kind of expected him to get to us..

still a lot of talent left here that we can get a good steal at the right position..

excellent final pick, i think this will be a great steal- Ahmad Bradshaw from Marshall.. this kid can run, and if he had stayed his senior year, he'd be a first day pick..

Do you like him more than Selvin Young? Was Selvin Young the smaller back out of Texas that looked like he was shot out of a cannon ( fast as fuck) or was that his backup?

I'm very impressed with the Giants draft. That safety looks like he can ball too.

1. Immediate nickel corner ( future starter), and possible return man.
2. will challenge for the 3rd receiver spot immediatley, will develop into a starter ( Toomers role).
3. rotate in at DT on 3rd downs as a pass rusher ( remember the new defensive coordinator has a defense based on creating pressure), now you have Strahan, Osi, and Kiwi rotating at end, and a legit pass rusher at tackle.
4. snapper on special teams, will be an immediate impact at special teams, backup LB, and could eventually move into a starting role in a couple years.
5. immediate 2nd string ( pass catching) tight end ( Giants often run 2 TE sets) that will replace shancoe, could fill in for shockey if he gets hurt, the guy has hands and can run.
6. backup tackle... developmental guy at a position of need. More of a heady lineman instead of a mauler, fits into the concept of the Giants offensive line
7. Michael Johnson looks like he could ball. I'd expect special teams for now, but I'm not high on will demps at all. Hopefully he develops and takes his spot in a year or two.
7B- Giants get a shifty back who could be the 3rd down back. Giants now have a huge back in Jacobs, medium sized in droughns, and a shiftier back in Bradshaw.

I'm impressed with the draft. These guys should provide immediate contributions to help the team win, and they could devlop into solid players. They took corner early ( a much more important position than RB), and Brandon Jacobs will get his chance to tote the rock.

I'm also glad they gave Manning another weapon with Steve Smith. When Toomer went down last year, he literally only had Shockey and Burress to throw to. Now he has a dependable receiver with hands ( and Moss should develop).

yup.. I woulda liked them to take a quality QB like Matt Moore or Jared Zabransky in the 7th round, just b/c they are quality.. but still happy..

Lets see what we get with the UDFA

completely agree about Ross... the guy had over 200 tackles in Texas and was a starter only one year... that's pretty physical shit right there.. his value on special teams is a big bonus...

as for Smith... I think he was very much needed.... it's like Gold said... he could be the next Toomer.... maybe better since the last few years, Toomer has been injured and less effective (thanks to Burress coming in).. I mean... he has not been over 800 yards and 60 catches in the last three seasons... and he only has 10 tds in that span as well... granted, he only played half a season last year, but the injuries is just another concern.... I still have to say that he always came up big when everyone else couldn't... and that's what would be needed from Smith.

Back