NY Giants @ Dallas pt. 3 PLAYOFF STYLE......Dizzle's take

EDizzle

The Danny Snyder Fanclub
Well, well, well. Here we are again for the 3rd time this season. For the first time in NFL history the NY Giants will meet the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs. <st1:state w:st="on">New York</st1:state> is coming off an impressive 10 point victory @ <st1><st1>Tampa</st1><st1>Bay</st1></st1>. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Dallas</st1></st1:city> is coming off the first round bye.

Once again ESPN and all the writers have been swept off their feet by the surging giants. Eli looks to have turned the page in coming off his first playoff victory in his 4 years, also tied a season high 4 TD passes in a loss against New England.

Now these teams are so strangers to each other. After all they are division rivals. The Giants will get their rare chance to redeem themselves after being swept in the season series.

<st1:state w:st="on"><st1>New York</st1></st1:state> leads the league in sacks featuring a great front 4. They will be matched up against a very big and physical offensive line that has gotten the best of the giants in the 2 previous matchups this season. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Dallas</st1> </st1:city> starting center Andre Gurode is back after a knee sprain, and him and RG Davis are a huge presence in the middle. They should be able to create running lanes and hold their own against the giants pass rush.

The linebacking core behind the Giants superb D-Line will be missing starting LB Mathias Kiwanuka this time around. Kawika Mitchell is banged up, and is questionable. Besides Pierce their linebackers are average at best, and will have their hands full trying to cover <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Witten</st1></st1:city> and covering J. Jones and Barber on pass routes. This defense has a big hole right in the middle of it that Jason Witten will try and take advantage of. He will likely see some double teams and that will create 1 on 1's downfield.

And yes folks, it looks like Owens will play. And I will take him over any one of their corners, even with his iffy ankle. Their best corner Sam Madison didn't play last week, and hasn't practiced this week. So the rook Aaron Ross will be thrown into the playoff fire. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Dallas</st1></st1:city> will also be getting Terry Glenn back, how effective will be be? I don’t know, but I've read he has had a good week of practice and he will play.

Besides all of the TO's ankle talk, the REST of this <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Dallas</st1></st1:city> team is the healthiest they have been all season. Terrence Newman and Anthony Henry will be starting together for only the second time or third time this season. This will force year long starter Jacque Reeves into the nickel and dime packages. Reeves was the most targeted cornerback in the entire NFL this season. This should boost cowboy’s coverage units and give the pass rush more time to get to Eli. <o>

</o> The Giants are going to need to rely on three rookies on offense. With the loss of Jeremy Shockey, fifth round pick Kevis Boss is going to need to step up. I doubt he can bring the intensity and leadership that Shockey brought, but everything I’ve read on the guy he is 6’6” and has good hands, but he is slow. How is Boss’s blocking? Because there is a good chance <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Dallas</st1></st1:city> will overload his side. They are also going to need a big effort from rookie RB Ahmad Bradshaw, who has good speed to compliment Jacobs’s power. Is he a liability in blitz pickup? WR Steve Smith is also going to need to step up for Eli and present himself as a target, because he has had trouble getting open this season. That’s some pretty key roles on your offense right there, and you want to put your money in some rookie’s hands?
<o></o>
Since Shockey went down, the Giants has transformed into a dink and dunk passing offense. This could also be due to Plaxico and his bad ankle, and lack of downfield threats. The Giants need to be able to run the ball here. If Jacobs can get 4 and 5 yards a carry on 1<sup>st</sup> and 2<sup>nd</sup> down then it could be a close game. They key for <st1:city w:st="on">Dallas</st1:city> will be good tackling, I saw a lot of broken tackles in that <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Tampa</st1> </st1:city>game. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Dalla</st1>s</st1:city> will be ready for the run, its no secret….just buckle up your chinstrap. The Giants could be without starting center O’Hara, and if he is out then you will see pressure up the middle that <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Tampa</st1></st1:city> did not bring. NT Jay Ratliff has played very well in place of injured Jason Fergusen, in fact earning a contract extension. Tank Johnson has also found a niche on this team and he does good job of taking up double teams and holding the LOS.
<o></o><st1:city w:st="on"></st1:city><st1:city w:st="on"><st1>
Dallas</st1></st1:city> has the homefield advantage combined with and extra week to prepare and get players healthy. Yet I have seen little to no love for the #1 seed in the NFC just because of going 2-2 down the stretch. I expect this team to be fired up and ready to play at the top of their game. Do not listen to ESPN, do not but into the Giants hype. They did the same shit last week with the Redskins one how “hot” they were and look what happened. I’m am seeing 70% consensus on NYG at wagerline. That 70% is a scary number with the line moving in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>dallas</st1></st1:city> direction, that’s kind of shady. Everyone was on the redskins LW, and the home favorite won. Just something to think about…

Here's where I'll give the Giants some credit for the first time in maybe three weeks. Their TE Boss has really stepped up. He's played very well. I credit Blitz for pointing this out to me, but when you have a QB like Eli, someone who can get rattled, having that reliable safety valve is key.

Trust me, I know from those times when Donovan decides to get happy feet how big this can be.

But the truth is this guy still has a ways to go before he can ever be what Shockey is as a receiving threat. The one thing that Shockey can do is force you to cover him past 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. That's generally what makes a great TE, a guy who can take LBs out of the play with their route running ability and/or speed.

So while I like what this guy's done, and think he probably will help in pass protection, I think that he, like a lot of the Giants outside guys, aren't 100% of what they could be.

I look at this Giants team and think they're probably 75% of the team they could be if they were 100% healthy. Because of Burress' ankle, because of O'Hara, because of their losses at LB and in the secondary. They're just not 100%--and if TO is healthy, which I still question, it's going to be a long day for this Giants team.

If TO is not healthy, and I'm not convinced he is, I think it simply falls on Romo that much more, but I do think he can get it done.

Also, though I'll be surprised if he truly is, they say Terry Glenn is totally healthy. If that's true, he will compensate a lot for that loss of TO as, remember, Dallas hasn't had him for basically the entire season. So all those points they've put up this year have been without their most productive WR from a year ago.

I will give a big WOW to the consensus numbers. Usually if a dog is getting more than 50% on those sites it is a lot considering most people bet favorites......but 70-30....I never see that. Very scary.

But, I dont see any line movement thus far towards Dallas. Not sure exactly where it opened, but is has been 7.5 down the board since Monday.

GL w/ your boys

I've heard on some radio shows, that Eli is doing so much better now that Shockey is out because there is less free lancing from his TE position. Boss is where he is supposed to be as Eli's outlet, but Shockey would often times run routes deeper, further, messing Eli up? Dunno how valid that is, but its something to consider.

Here's where I'll give the Giants some credit for the first time in maybe three weeks. Their TE Boss has really stepped up. He's played very well. I credit Blitz for pointing this out to me, but when you have a QB like Eli, someone who can get rattled, having that reliable safety valve is key.

Trust me, I know from those times when Donovan decides to get happy feet how big this can be.

But the truth is this guy still has a ways to go before he can ever be what Shockey is as a receiving threat. The one thing that Shockey can do is force you to cover him past 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. That's generally what makes a great TE, a guy who can take LBs out of the play with their route running ability and/or speed.

So while I like what this guy's done, and think he probably will help in pass protection, I think that he, like a lot of the Giants outside guys, aren't 100% of what they could be.

I've heard on some radio shows, that Eli is doing so much better now that Shockey is out because there is less free lancing from his TE position. Boss is where he is supposed to be as Eli's outlet, but Shockey would often times run routes deeper, further, messing Eli up? Dunno how valid that is, but its something to consider.

Dallas did not have Newman to shade Plaxico all over the field in the first matchup and he went off for 8 catches 144 yards and a TD. They had Newman in the second matchup and Plax was held to 4 catches for 24.

In the second game Shockey went off with 12 catches for 129 yard and a TD. That is HUGE production. Boss doesn't have the speed that Shockey has, and Dallas does not need to respect it. They wont be lining up 10 yards off Boss like they did when Shockey was in there.

good writeup; you've got the right side. I think the points you brought up about pass protection are very key to this game. I don't know how well Boss or Bradshaw (or Jacobs for that matter) will pick up blitzes, but you know Dallas will be coming after Eli early.

I actually havent taken a side yet, i'm gonna see if my book drops it down to 7, then I can buy it to 6.5. If not i might just buy the full point. I also think this is a game where you could tease if both ways.

With ESPN overblown coverage of Owen's ankle it seems they have forgotten to even mention the giants injury situations. Lets take a look at their report.

Cowboys
QUESTIONABLE:
WR Terrell Owens (Ankle)**
PROBABLE: WR Terry Glenn (Knee)*; C Andre Gurode (Knee)*

Giants

OUT:
CB Kevin Dockery (Hip Flexor)***
DOUBTFUL: CB Sam Madison (Stomach)***
QUESTIONABLE: WR Plaxico Burress (Ankle)**
PROBABLE: Kevin Boss (Illness)*; OT Kareem McKenzie (Ankle)*; C Shaun O'Hara (Knee)*

*** Did not practice
** Limited participation
* Full participation

It seems NY might have to do without their #1 and #3 corners. All the while a rookie is playing their #2 now.

TO, Glenn, Crayton, Hurd vs Ross, Webster, McQuarters......who would you take?

This team can be passed on, Tampa Bay just didnt have the weapons to do it

Last edited:
CITIZEN-WATCH-AD-0507.jpg

ELI IS UNSTOPPABLE!:36_11_6:

Dallas did not have Newman to shade Plaxico all over the field in the first matchup and he went off for 8 catches 144 yards and a TD. They had Newman in the second matchup and Plax was held to 4 catches for 24.

In the second game Shockey went off with 12 catches for 129 yard and a TD. That is HUGE production. Boss doesn't have the speed that Shockey has, and Dallas does not need to respect it. They wont be lining up 10 yards off Boss like they did when Shockey was in there.

what you are failing to mention is that Michael Strahan did not play in the first game either... Justin Tuck was just getting his feet wet as a starter... and he had to go the entire game instead of rotating in and out with Strahan or instead of being used in there at the same time with him... the entire defense was out of sync trying to learn a new system and Kiwi was in the experimental stages of trying to learn the linebacker position in that first game as well and he was getting burned bad and missing his assignments... with the lack of pressure on Romo and the short middle of the field open all night, Witten also had a big game in that first meeting... he had 6 catches for 116 yards and a td... in the second meeting, when things were more in sync for the Giants defense, Witten was used more as a blocker to help against the pressure.. and he finished that game with only 2 catches for 12 yards and no endzone dances. I know you say Plaxi was stopped by Newman, but Plaxi has been playing most of the season injured and through pain... he started the season strong leading the league and even ahead of Randy Moss through the first 8 or 9 tds... then he just stopped producing altogether... not just in the Dallas game against Newman.. everyone looked like they were stopping him, but the last two weeks he's been coming around again and moving better... Shockey was always trying to go deeper and make bigger plays (mainly because Gilbride always wants to go deep)... but Boss brings in the shorter game.. Coughlin told Gilbride to make the game simpler against the Bucs.. that's why they went with the short game the whole way.. and it worked... that won't work against Dallas much, but Dallas doesn't have the pass defense the Bucs have this year... and the Giants shouldn't have problems moving the ball on them either.. they can be passed on just as easily... we'll see what happens.

That O'Hara is up to probable in this game is big for the G-Men.

That said, I agree with Tide, I think TB in Tampa was likely the only winable playoff scenario for the Giants given who's in the post-season this year.

what's ironic is alot of people who have been saying and believing that TB was the perfect matchup for the Giants and the only team they could beat were more than likely all over the Bucs last week to cover as favorites... I don't know.. I think it's the Giants who don't get the credit they deserve in some ways.

what you are failing to mention is that Michael Strahan did not play in the first game either... Justin Tuck was just getting his feet wet as a starter... and he had to go the entire game instead of rotating in and out with Strahan or instead of being used in there at the same time with him... the entire defense was out of sync trying to learn a new system and Kiwi was in the experimental stages of trying to learn the linebacker position in that first game as well and he was getting burned bad and missing his assignments... with the lack of pressure on Romo and the short middle of the field open all night, Witten also had a big game in that first meeting... he had 6 catches for 116 yards and a td... in the second meeting, when things were more in sync for the Giants defense, Witten was used more as a blocker to help against the pressure.. and he finished that game with only 2 catches for 12 yards and no endzone dances. I know you say Plaxi was stopped by Newman, but Plaxi has been playing most of the season injured and through pain... he started the season strong leading the league and even ahead of Randy Moss through the first 8 or 9 tds... then he just stopped producing altogether... not just in the Dallas game against Newman.. everyone looked like they were stopping him, but the last two weeks he's been coming around again and moving better... Shockey was always trying to go deeper and make bigger plays (mainly because Gilbride always wants to go deep)... but Boss brings in the shorter game.. Coughlin told Gilbride to make the game simpler against the Bucs.. that's why they went with the short game the whole way.. and it worked... that won't work against Dallas much, but Dallas doesn't have the pass defense the Bucs have this year... and the Giants shouldn't have problems moving the ball on them either.. they can be passed on just as easily... we'll see what happens.

I failed to mention Strahan just like I failed to mention that Greg Ellis didn't play that game either. Didnt Strahan hold out all camp? And then decided he was going to play with a few weeks left. I recall he did play in the first game. Oh and Justin Tuck was just getting his feet wet as a starter? But so was NT Jay Ratliff after Fergusen went down in the first game. Yes I know the Giants were learning a new defensive system, but lets not use it as an excuse. Did you forget to mention that Dallas also had a new defensive coordinator and were also learning new schemes?

I dont know why everyone thinks Dallas D is no good and that it will be easy to move the ball on them. The Giants have a worse defense that dallas, they can be passed on just as easily.

I'm just going to keep my plays posted in here.

2008 Playoff Record:

2-0 +2 units

NE -13....2.1 win 2

People are just looking for reason as to why the Jags can pull off the upset, we'll I don't see it happening. I hate the Pats just as much as anyone could, and would still love to see them lose. But I'll take the best team in history with a couple weeks to prepare for the Jags. I think this game is a blowout and could get ugly.

I failed to mention Strahan just like I failed to mention that Greg Ellis didn't play that game either. Didnt Strahan hold out all camp? And then decided he was going to play with a few weeks left. I recall he did play in the first game. Oh and Justin Tuck was just getting his feet wet as a starter? But so was NT Jay Ratliff after Fergusen went down in the first game. Yes I know the Giants were learning a new defensive system, but lets not use it as an excuse. Did you forget to mention that Dallas also had a new defensive coordinator and were also learning new schemes?

I dont know why everyone thinks Dallas D is no good and that it will be easy to move the ball on them. The Giants have a worse defense that dallas, they can be passed on just as easily.

sorry for not responding back Diz.. my internet was down all day til' midway through the second game... I guess there's no point in responding anymore... it was a great game though... btw... I was on the Pats as well.. they shoulda had that cover.... they were the right side bro.

Back