Nropp goes Bowling...

nropp11

Vice-President of Fondy Fanclub
3* 12-2, +28.80
2* 13-9, +6.70
1* 42-39, +3.08

Year: 67-50, +38.58

I’ll post bowl game plays, leans, and games I just don’t want to touch in this thread. Leans may become plays, I just want to wait until closer to game time to commit.

Poinsettia Bowl (San Diego, CA)
December 20, 2007
Selection: Lean Navy +

SOS: Utah #55
SOS: Navy #91

My Line: Utah –3.5

The first bowl game of the year matches two teams who have had great success in bowl games in recent years. Utah has won it’s last six bowl games, while Navy has won it’s last four bowl games. Even more impressive, this will be Utah’s fifth straight year it attends a bowl, and a few players will have an opportunity to win a fifth bowl game. Navy is a little familiar w/ the Poinsettia Bowl and San Diego, having beaten Colorado State by 21 in 2005. Obviously, you have a triple option versus a pretty decent defense in this match up. The bowl directors of the Poinsettia Bowl personally came out and said during an interview that they wanted a match up that could come down to the last play and a match up where you’d see a high scoring game.

Both teams are well coached when given the time. Navy is a team that usually will throw a few more times or add in a little trickery w/ a little practice. This is a team that went to a bowl game last year and lost to Boston College and Matt Ryan on a last second FG if I remember correctly. In a way, Navy’s offense can be compared to that of Air Force. Air Force beat Utah early on in the season, which doesn’t mean much considering Johnson was out for Utah, and Utah started extremely slow early on, but I had to take a look at some recent box scores to see how they fared against this type of offense.

Air Force [September 8, 2007] 63 rushes, 334 yards, 5.3 ypc (and only converted 20% of third down conversions, yet still won the game)

Navy comes in having won it’s last 4 on a positive note, and Utah comes in after a hard-fought tough loss at BYU. Here’s why these bowl games are big to coaches. Utah’s Whittingham is making an extra $30,000+ for this game, while his assistants are making a combined $82,000 plus for making it into a bowl game. Each team has been given an allotment of 10,000 tickets. As of December 5th, Navy has sold all 10,000. Utah departs for San Diego on December 16th. Utah’s QB Johnson has sat out 3 practices since the BYU game. Utah’s best run stopping tackle (Gabe Long) is questionable. Utah has practiced four times this week, while Navy was given the entire week off to focus on exams.

Can’t really argue with Utah’s success in bowl games, but Navy has been just as good. One would think Navy would get a large following here being that San Diego is the home of one of the largest Naval bases in the United States, but I could be wrong. More than a touchdown here is a bit too much IMO. Might take a look at the ML a little closer to kickoff. Looking for a +10 here, maybe a teaser, might even play the +8.5, we'll see.

Lean: Navy +

:stretcher:

You think Paul Johnson potentially leaving will negatively affect Navy as well? Seems like hes gonna take the SMU job. Are you "Reggie" from another forum?

You think Paul Johnson potentially leaving will negatively affect Navy as well? Seems like hes gonna take the SMU job. Are you "Reggie" from another forum?

Johnson might have an effect, hence the wait for line, etc..

Yup, I was reggie for a brief period of existence.

Then I became the almighty Nropper...

:moose::moose::moose::moose::moose::moose::moose:

Didnt Navy just lose their bowl game last year to NC State or some ACC team?

I love Hawaii kid Kaipo......played as a kid where I live.....problem is that Navy defense is sooooooooo bad.....Utah might get some stops too....

I love Hawaii kid Kaipo......played as a kid where I live.....problem is that Navy defense is sooooooooo bad.....Utah might get some stops too....

Utah should have beat BYU for the MWC Championship. They tripped over their own dick in the last minute of the game to hand the Win over to the Cougars. Utah could put the hurt on Navy.

:cheers:

I think it was a last second loss to Boston College.....

Excellent writeup Nopper; Navy should definitely have the crowd edge for this one. I'll be attending this mess as well in all likelihood.

Think this game comes down to how effective Utah defense is in getting Navy off the field; Utah should move the ball effectively but the question is...how many possessions will the Navy offense/Utah defense allow them to have?

Agree that a lot of intangibles favor Navy inc the injury situation to Long and Johnson for the Utes.

On Navy for a dime, liking it to kick off bowl season, trying to cap off a mediocre NCAA season and finish strong and make up for a subpar NFL year thus far.

here's your answer from ESPN...

Navy plays Utah in the Dec. 20 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl. Gladchuk said Johnson will not coach in the bowl game.

Back