Notre Dame vs Vanderbilt Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Notre Dame Ready to Bounce Back Against Vanderbilt

Notre Dame hosts Vanderbilt on Saturday at 2:30 ET on NBC. Covering a two-touchdown spread may seem to bettors like an impossible task for the Irish, but only if you’re affected by recency bias.

Vanderbilt (2-0) at No. 8 Notre Dame (2-0)

NCAAF Pick: Irish -14.5

In its 24-16 victory over Ball State, Notre Dame couldn’t have looked any worse. The offensive line offered minimal push, missed blocks, and failed to execute simple pulls. Quarterback Brandon Wimbush made sundry errors with mechanics, decision-making, reading defenses, going through progressions, and pass accuracy. Finally, the play-calling was unimaginative and repetitive. On the one hand, it’s tempting to see Notre Dame play like this, shed tears for departed star running back Josh Adams, two first-round caliber offensive linemen, and the offensive line coach, and proclaim it impossible for Notre Dame to cover the spread against Vanderbilt, when it couldn’t even beat Ball State by double digits. On the other hand, that pessimistic line of thinking seems too easily justified to be true.

If Notre Dame’s offensive line had sincerely tried against Ball State, then Ball State’s defense would be better than Michigan’s, which didn’t muster as many sacks or tackles for loss as Ball State did. Notre Dame limited itself intentionally. It did as little as possible to win. Ball State quarterback Riley Neal started off hot, easily moving his team down the field, because the Irish played soft coverage. Once they pressed against the Ball State receivers, nobody could get open for Neal, who ended up completing fewer than 50 percent of his passes. The Irish defense was so strong over 97 snaps that the offense didn’t have to show its hand at all. The main limit that coach Brian Kelly imposed on the offense was to not design any run plays for Wimbush, to force him to stay in the pocket. Wimbush struggled because he’s simply not a pocket passing quarterback. When the Irish needed points, they rolled him out of the pocket and he showed better accuracy on the move than he ever did last year.

Ball State had been circled by the Irish as their easiest game and they expected to breeze through it and give their freshmen more playing time. Despite only winning by eight, they were never really in danger of losing, even if their arrogance proved excessive. It was difficult to be prepared mentally for a 35-point underdog after achieving an awesome opening win at home and it was hard to play well without motivation. But I expect them to bounce back in a statement-like fashion against Vanderbilt. They can’t afford not to for many reasons. They would risk demoralizing their players too severely, establishing bad playing habits instead of developing good ones, wearing out the defense by keeping them on the field too long, and alienating their fans. Most importantly, they could lose. After all, coach Kelly isn’t known for playing down to competition, doing so last year only against Navy on Senior Day.

If the Irish bounce back, it will need to happen on the ground. Wimbush can still contribute. He’s normally very ball-secure, throwing only six interceptions last season. He has big-play receivers like Chris Finke, who came through with a 43-yard touchdown catch against Michigan. Miles Boykin led all receivers against Ball State with 6 receptions and 119 yards. He’s also a deep-play threat who excels at finding the soft spot in zone coverage. Wimbush is also a threat with his legs, achieving four 100-yard rushing games last season. Still, when the Irish have covered the spread, they’ve ridden their running backs and offensive-line. They enjoy depth at running back with Tony Jones, who averaged five yards per carry against Michigan. Jafar Armstrong complements Jones’ strength with speed and big-play ability. The offensive line boasts 65 returning starts and has solid size, strength, and reach at every position plus experienced leadership at center. The Irish will comprise a shocking change from Middle Tennessee State's dink-and-dunk, up-tempo offense and Nevada's pass-happy, spread offense that Vandy has owned so far.

Vanderbilt will offer little resistance. Last year, the defensive line ranked 91st and 71st in power success rate and stuff rate, respectively, and allowed five rush yards per game. This year, the d-line can only continue to regress after multiple departures especially at defensive tackle. Vanderbilt lacks the size and physicality to compete with the Irish in the trenches.

On offense, the Commodores’ pass attack lives and dies with quarterback Kyle Schurmur, who lacks the proven ability to even keep his team competitive against a team with a strong secondary. Schurmur relies heavily on his tight ends, which isn’t anything new for the Irish, which limited Michigan’s tight ends to four receptions and 21 yards. Vanderbilt has one threatening receiver in Kalija Lipscomb, who, besides the occasional big play, has remained unproven against stronger secondaries. Notre Dame’s secondary, led by Julian Love and his 20 passes defensed last season, is one of the hardest to get open against.

Vanderbilt’s offensive line may improve from last season thanks to its returning experience. But that improvement still won’t amount to much after ranking outside the top 100 last year in power success rate and stuff rate. Its top running back averaged 4.3 yards per carry. Notre Dame is too physical, led by first-round caliber monster Jerry Tillery who achieved two sacks and a forced fumble against Michigan. The linebackers are led by future NFL star Te’Von Coney and his 24 tackles. Both players are known for creating havoc in opposing backfields.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Every week seems to be overreaction city. After beating Mich: woahhh playoffs here we come ahhh. After Ball State: Wimbush is worse than Golson, Kelly is an idiot, o-line is shit 8-win season!

Im trying hard not to look too much into prior week thats why season previews are so important. Gotta maintain a broad perspective on the team while digging in every week.

I thought Shurmur looked really sharp and the Illnois transfer at RB can break tackles and run away from people. Definitely a much better defensive front in ND than Nevada...I lean Vandy catching more than 2TDs.

Btw if anyone wants to know my record on ND games feel free to ask. I don‘t include it because I don‘t want a good record to mask bad reasoning and inspire blind trust and I don‘t want a bad record to supersede good reasoning and generate unfair distrust

Will be an interesting game that is for sure.

I do think that this more veteran Vandy team is the best they have had in a while. I also think we see perhaps the best effort and execution out of ND we've seen all year. Not sure what that means for a final outcome. I tend to think Vandy can hang.

Down to -14, which is from a purely odds perspective much safer than -14.5 since winning by 15 (or even 16) is a lot rarer than by an even two touchdowns.

How many points do you think Notre Dame scores in this game? I understand the game against Ball State is not a reliable result for handicapping purposes, but I think Vandy can hang with Notre Dame in the trenches. I think the Irish may hit 30 here, but don't see them getting much more than that. Can Notre Dame hold Vandy's offense to 14 points or less? Because that's what may take for them to get the cover.

Fair question. I was imagining 30's to low teens.

So yeah let's roll out the BSU result and look at the game that mattered. Notre Dame played like eight minutes of good football against a relatively strong defense and produced 24 points. Imagine a lot more good football against a weaker opponent. I don't just mean weaker in an abstractly qualitative way but less skilled and above all less physical. A bounce-back spot here. So yeah 30's on offense and I don't see ND having problems with Vandy's O

I'll just post this here since I did this in my free time and it's a play i'll make and would love to invite more discussion on:

My take on IU/Ball State:

Ball State defense is very bad. Couldn't wreak much havoc at all in its opening win against Central Connecticut. Not placing value on the ND game which was clearly a let-down spot for ND (see my article for explanation). Both tackles and top DE are missing from last season. I think IU runs them over and it starts with Stevie Scott. 200 rushing yards against Virginia, he's patient, elusive, hits the hole hard, falls forward. Ramsey will have an efficient passing game with multiple touchdowns. He's not going to beat a defense with his arm strength but he can beat this one by letting his receivers make plays. Hale, Timian, etc. form a nice group which presents serious match-up problems for Ball State in terms of speed, size, and overall athleticism. I see them breaking some big gains. After all, we're talking about a Ball State secondary that surrendered 297 passing yards to Wimbush. Sure three picks, but that's really bad!

The problem with Ball State's pass attack seems to be partly with Neal, partly with the wide receiver corps. Very efficient game against C. Conn with 8.6 YPA then once ND corners pressed he finished well below 50% completion and below 4 YPA. Obviously expecting something in the middle here against IU. Looking at history against Power 5 teams, much of the Ball State cover success is explainable to their not giving up. They were down 16-7 at halftime against Illinois last year, 30-0 at halftime in 2016 (Neal's freshman year) to IU. If the receivers aren't able to create separation, Neal can only do so much. IU's secondary is returning significant experience and leadership and should be excellent. Its d-line suffered attrition but seemed to be great against UVA, holding Ellis to 4 YPC besides a 19-yard run and creating havoc in the backfield with a lot of tackles for loss. Granted, UVA's o-line has its problems, I don't think BSU's is any better. Huntley and Gilbert won't do too much and that will affect Neal in the passing game as well.

In terms of the spot. I looked at IU's games last year (first year for HC Tom Allen) against lower-tiered competition including games typically regarded as look-ahead (IU plays Sparty next week) and noticed a consistent pattern: IU would dominate the first half, and, except against Rutgers, win the 2H by not nearly as great a margin. I thin the betting public loves Ball State because they see 24-16 loss at Notre Dame, who they're overrating because they're beating Michigan, who they're overrating because it's Michigan and think woah Ball State must be really good. And I think Ball State is probably very good...for MAC standard. But to me this has the makings of a 21-3 first half or whatever similar for Indiana so I think the 1H Indiana play makes a lot of sense.

Fair question. I was imagining 30's to low teens.

So yeah let's roll out the BSU result and look at the game that mattered. Notre Dame played like eight minutes of good football against a relatively strong defense and produced 24 points. Imagine a lot more good football against a weaker opponent. I don't just mean weaker in an abstractly qualitative way but less skilled and above all less physical. A bounce-back spot here. So yeah 30's on offense and I don't see ND having problems with Vandy's O

Devils advocate a little bit here. Do you think ND hits 24 points more times than not in that game against Michigan? Just asking because to me it felt that 1st half took some ill timed penalties from Michigan and a couple low percentage passes into double coverage (with maybe one of the catch of the years by a WR). Felt like some high variance that went ND's way that got them to where they were was my read but could be wrong. I'm also higher than the market on Vandy so anything over 10 to me i've already fired on. Good luck and enjoy the games...appreciate the insight.

I think they do. From my pov Wimbush displayed that he could launch some deep balls on a dime. He was pumped and he showed his best self. He had already shown rapport with these same receivers based on their higher catch rate last year and already shown the ability to connect with them on deep passes, so this wasn‘t anything new from them.

Edit my predicted score. The IRISH are a average offensive team. Average O line, average QB average RB and below average play calling. I really had high hopes but the playoffs are but a dream, unless there D can carry em to an undefeated regular season like in 2012.

t see them breaking some big gains. After all, we're talking about a Ball State secondary that surrendered 297 passing yards to Wimbush. Sure three picks, but that's really bad!

The problem with Ball State's pass attack seems to be partly with Neal, partly with the wide receiver corps. Very efficient game against C. Conn with 8.6 YPA then once ND corners pressed he finished well below 50% completion and below 4 YPA. Obviously expecting something in the middle here against IU. Looking at history against Power 5 teams, much of the Ball State cover
Edit my predicted score. The IRISH are a average offensive team. Average O line, average QB average RB and below average play calling. I really had high hopes but the playoffs are but a dream, unless there D can carry em to an undefeated regular season like in 2012.

Im not watching but is the o-line that bad? Rushing numbers look good, which must say something considering Wimbush‘s passing numbers? Defense can only do so much when the O isn‘t moving

I dont
Almost got the score right :) nice to have one big play out of t

Im not watching but is the o-line that bad? Rushing numbers look good, which must say something considering Wimbush‘s passing numbers? Defense can only do so much when the O isn‘t moving
know the exact rushing numbers but just from what ive observed i would say Wimbush has a majority of those rushing yards.

So for today I say. Fuck Brian Kelly/Chip Long. Fuck Brandon Wimbush. Thankfully my Indiana play hit to go even on big plays

But how much of that bad playcalling is intended? It seems like Irish only wanna score to start game (scripted plays) and when the opponent draws near. The O doing as little as possible to win while riding the D to win. Is it a coincidence that the D closed out a one-score game every time so far no matter the opponent? Do you have a different take?

Back