Notre Dame vs Stanford Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Stanford’s Love Is Stronger Than Notre Dame’s

Notre Dame hosts Stanford on Saturday at 7:30 ET on NBC in a battle of two undefeated, top-ten teams. Stanford and Notre Dame each boasts a star named „Love,“ but Stanford’s will help give his team the decisive edge.

#7 Stanford (4-0) at #8 Notre Dame (4-0)

NCAAF Pick: Stanford +4.5

Last Saturday, Notre Dame Coach Brian Kelly made the unexpected decision to replace quarterback Brandon Wimbush with a competent passer. Ian Book allowed Notre Dame’s offense to be aggressive and win the game instead of having to rely on the defense, which rested in the fourth quarter. Coach Kelly unleashed another new offensive innovation by lining up speedsters Jafari Armstrong and Avery Davis out wide. He had mostly confined Armstrong to between the tackles and Davis was largely absent from the offense. Against Wake, they showed off their potential by complementing the strength of Notre Dame’s power running back and big-bodied receivers.

The decision to start Book was not announced until game day. The late announcement was not just unfortunate for us, but also for Wake Forest’s defensive coordinator, who got fired after his team allowed 56 points. He was clearly not ready to face Book, although partly for good reason. Wake Forest’s pass defense had been getting shredded in the deep ball and Wimbush is known for having a good arm. Wake’s coordinator did not want Notre Dame to do what Boston College did—establish a power running game and then launch play action passes to receivers so wide open downfield, that even Wimbush could probably hit them. So, Wake played the entire game in deep zone coverage. The problem with this strategy is that it’s absolutely the worst one possible against Book. Book, unlike Wimbush, does not have an arm. All he did was all he could do and what Wake’s defense gave him—stand in an amazingly clean pocket and complete shorter passes. When Wake’s now former defensive coordinator interviews for a job, i’m sure his prospective employer will ask why he didn’t adjust his defense based on Book’s strengths.

It’s true that Book is more accurate than Wimbush, but that’s not saying much. Don’t forget that Book had always worked in special situations such as mop-up duty and relief against defenses that hadn’t game planned for him. Wimbush had always beaten him out for the starting position. Besides the fact that Wimbush is a better runner, (although Book’s mobility is noteworthy) the numbers don’t substantiate a significant difference between the two. For example, in 76 passes attempted this season, Wimbush threw four interceptions. Last season, in 74 attempted passes, Book also threw four interceptions. Book’s quarterback rating was only five points higher than Wimbush’s is. Book's performance against Wake last Saturday doesn’t prove improvement because last year he was 8-for-8 with a touchdown against a similar Wake defense that has been a catastrophe since missing the now departed safety Jessie Bates.

Book won’t benefit from the same clean pocket against a Stanford defensive line that has responded to doubters by achieving 13 sacks combined against San Diego State, USC, and Oregon and will look to maintain that success against a Notre Dame pass protection that’s been inconsistent after the departure of two first-rounders and the position coach. Moreover, Stanford’s linebackers and secondary will do an even better job of challenging both Book and Notre Dame’s rush attack because they are elite. The linebacking corps returns five with starting experience. The foremost linebackers include outside linebacker Joey Alfieri, who is notorious for wreaking havoc in the backfield and leads the team with four tackles for loss. He is underrated because he had to spend last year at inside linebacker. Sean Barton, with his speed and physicality, leads the team in tackles. The secondary features cornerback Alijah Holder, whose tackling ability and low opposing catch and yards per reception rates substantiate his elite status. When the Stanford corners watch film on the career backup Book, they’ll learn to exploit his long windups and telegraphing tendencies.

Notre Dame’s defense faces its toughest test. Quarterback K.J. Costello is enjoying huge strides in his second year as Stanford starter, throwing for more yards per pass attempt and more touchdowns. Costello has great size, leadership, pocket presence, arm strength, and accuracy in all three levels of the field. He benefits from a number of receivers with great size and route running ability, above all JJ Arcega-Whiteside, who has 408 receiving yards and seven touchdowns this season. Arcega-Whiteside is a jump ball threat who can reliably catch 50-50 balls and is also able to juke out opposing corners to get open. He isn’t as big as tight end Kaden Smith, another jump ball threat who caught six passes for 95 yards against Oregon and is another mismatch against Notre Dame’s secondary. Osiris St. Brown is also a deep threat with his speed. He caught a 49-yard pass against Oregon. Lastly, Costello benefits from a solid offensive line that returns 94 career starts and four blockers with All-Pac 12 honors. Notre Dame ranks only 98th in sack percentage. Stanford's o-line will help superstar Bryce Love thrive with his improved health. Love combines the ability to power through defenders with the ability to make defenders miss at the second and third levels and to use his breakaway speed for large gains.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Obviously pissed about how this is going. Fucking Kelly decides to finally destroy an opponent lol. Time to get back on track I hope!

Hopefully reading Marsski‘s columns is helping me write more smoothly. Altho I did just notice a part where I started like five consecutive sentences with „Book“ haha

I don't have much to add on this, only that the prevailing opinion (NOT my opinion) seems to be that Notre Dame may go undefeated if they win this game as the instant reaction world we live in sees them as great now after the Wake Forest win, many of the same people were saying that Vandy should've beat them last week.

So ND is awesome and bound for the playoff with a win here (sarcasm).

The irrationalities (is that word?) continues, Stanford should've been blown out last week...if Oregon could do that and maybe ND with Book can do it based off the WF game, right?

I am hearing lots of this kind of stuff from the media talking heads and their callers.

So if given the choice, I would rather be opposite that kind of thinking.

Having said all of that, I have not been impressed with Stanford's D once this season. Maybe they show me something Saturday?

Even if granted you‘re not impressed by Stanford‘s D, there‘s zero reason to be impressed by ND O.

Even if granted you‘re not impressed by Stanford‘s D, there‘s zero reason to be impressed by ND O.

True. I am probably overlooking some of the sack numbers you say Stanford has produced, consistently getting pressure for them is a good thing that I should be impressed by. I just see the teams they play being able to do things vs them that a really good conference champ level D should be able to do better.

I did not see much first-hand opinion of the ND-WF game. But yes on that too, the fact that everyone WF has played has lit them up just means that what ND did is a continuation of what everyone does vs Wake.

I'm starting to look forward to the game the more the week goes on. At first I didn't even hardly care about this game. Now I'm probably on a 5 out of 10 interest and rising. Although I expect my primary attention in this timeslot to be divided between LaTech-NT, SC-UK, OleMiss-LSU.

True. I am probably overlooking some of the sack numbers you say Stanford has produced, consistently getting pressure for them is a good thing that I should be impressed by. I just see the teams they play being able to do things vs them that a really good conference champ level D should be able to do better.

I did not see much first-hand opinion of the ND-WF game. But yes on that too, the fact that everyone WF has played has lit them up just means that what ND did is a continuation of what everyone does vs Wake.

I'm starting to look forward to the game the more the week goes on. At first I didn't even hardly care about this game. Now I'm probably on a 5 out of 10 interest and rising. Although I expect my primary attention in this timeslot to be divided between LaTech-NT, SC-UK, OleMiss-LSU.

I lol‘ed at your final sentence coming after the one before. You certainly have different interests from most :)

I have a position with Notre Dame so I was bummed to see your analysis. As sk. Said much more interesting game for me than I anticipated

Idk man I see things how I see them my best friend‘s sister goes there so I‘m biased towards them but I try to filter that bias out

Probably best to keep Mom's out of this.

Wonder what the chances are Stanford ever opens up the O for an entire game. We've seen what they can do when they want to / have to in terms of passing it. Figured Stanford would win with their O this year but I still have yet to see them really reach their potential of what they can do. Maybe Shaw has been trying to force the run saving a more aggressive game plan for a spot like this? Not a ton to lose if it doesn't work, out of conference game, already 2-0 in PAC12, they could let Costello and those tall wide receivers get it done with a throw first mentality, would help Love too.

They opened up a bit 2h vs sd st. Was effective. But going over top is what you do vs rocky long. I lean Stanford. One good start vs wake shouldn’t mean the world. Maybe the number hits 7

Alright, I'm going to bite on Stanford.

I will hope for a more open game plan from start to finish out of Cardinal. I am going to think that last week's comeback win that should've been a loss will be a shot in the arm for them giving them energy through the week. And I am going to think that what VC says about the Stan D going up against Book makes things harder for him in game #2 now that they have full game film on him and what WF did that didn't work so good.

I'll wait it out and see where the line goes hoping for a little more margin of error with the points.

Go Tree!

VT is a solid team. If you cant beat their man coverage, you wont be able to score on their defense. If your WRs can beat their corners and your QB can make the throws, you can move the ball. Dont think you can consistently run on them.

On offense, they seem pretty balanced without looking at numbers. WRs can make plays.

I really thought Jackson was playing badly. Willis came in and offense immediately looked better. FWIW, people watching the spring game thought Willis looked better.

Back