Notre Dame vs. North Carolina Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Notre Dame vs. North Carolina: Week 13 Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
Saturday, November 27, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. ET (ABC) at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

North Carolina’s Offensive Scheme

One can accurately say that North Carolina passes to facilitate its ground game and that North Carolina runs in order to set up its pass attack.

The Tar Heels will spread out a defense and then run different counter, power, and zone plays.

In the backfield, they feature primarily two different running backs, the very speedy Michael Carter and the stronger Javonte Williams. Both are averaging at least seven YPC.

They will also run in order to compel opposing linebackers to remain close to the line of scrimmage and to lull opposing defensive backs.

Then, quarterback Sam Howell becomes more dangerous perhaps by using play-action to set up the deep ball.

UNC, which ranks seventh nationally in yards per pass attempt, loves to go deep.

This offense has abundant wide receiver ability with which to capitalize on Howell’s deep ball accuracy.

Two wide receivers exceeded 1,000 yards last year. Both of them — Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome — plus five other wide receivers have earned a reception of 40 yards or longer this season.

Phil Longo’s offense will add some wrinkles to keep Notre Dame on its toes in other ways.

This offense is very much predicated on the idea of having numerical advantages.

For example, if Howell sees opposing defenders crashing on his running back in a handoff situation, he may keep it and exploit open running lanes for sizable gains.

Also, the Tar Heel offense will utilize tempo to wear down opposing defenders and to keep the defense from substituting.

North Carolina Offense vs. Notre Dame Defense

It’s easy to look at what the Irish run defense did against Clemson’s Travis Etienne and other running backs and to grow optimistic in Notre Dame’s run defense.

But Notre Dame’s excellent run defense statistics come at a cost that the Tar Heels will be glad to maximize.

To explain: the Tigers ran 14 play-action plays and accrued 15.9 YPP (yards per play) on those plays.

In their last game, the Irish saw Boston College attempt 16 play-action plays. BC’s drastically less potent offense accrued 11.1 YPP on those 16 attempts.

The Irish run defense seems strong because it sells out to stop the run. It will need to sell out to limit the Tar Heels’ thunder-and-lightning duo and Howell will make them pay.

Howell can make especially this Irish pass defense pay downfield.

Notre Dame routinely makes mistakes in coverage. Film study reveals routine tendencies of individual cornerbacks to play too soft, to get burnt, to arrive too late, to play with too much cushion, or for other reasons to give up big plays.

These mistakes happened against Clemson. But the Irish secondary was lucky to face Trevor Lawrence’s backup, who does not attempt deep passes at nearly the rate that Lawrence likes to.

Likewise, Boston College's quarterback is not typically accurate. But he still inflicted the Irish secondary with five pass plays of at least 20 yards.

After a rocky start to the season where he had his two worst games of the season in terms of passer rating and reached half of his current interception total, Howell is on point.

Completing 67.7 percent of his passes, he flashes the accuracy that Boston College’s quarterback lacks and the proclivity and supporting personnel to throw deep that Clemson’s lacked.

Notre Dame Offense vs. North Carolina Defense

Unlike North Carolina’s offense, Notre Dame’s will be potently two-dimensional.

North Carolina’s run defense lacks sufficient physicality against the run especially due to its inability to replace departed defensive linemen Aaron Crawford and Jason Strowbridge.

Its run defense numbers look decent because Boston College, NC State, and Syracuse produced abysmally little on the ground.

Performing well against those three teams, though, fails to justify hope in UNC’s run defense because they rank outside the top 80 nationally in rush offense.

UNC's lack of physicality, solidity, and stability against the run surfaced in other games but most noticeably in its most difficult test, against Virginia Tech, which produced 260 rushing yards on 48 attempts.

Like Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Virginia did against UNC, Notre Dame will use its ground game en route to a strong scoring output.

Notre Dame boasts a physical offensive line. Its strength up front will create enough push and enough holes for Kyren Williams to improve upon his current 5.7 YPC average.

Quarterback Ian Book is more comfortable throwing downfield than his reputation suggests. With him, the Irish rank 33rd in YPA.

Completing 62 percent of his passes and throwing 11 touchdowns to one interception, Book brings a degree of accuracy that UNC’s 96th-ranked pass defense hasn’t been tested by.

The Verdict

North Carolina will provide Notre Dame’s secondary with another tough test that will yield another high scoring output.

The Irish will also score a lot with its strong ground game complementing a multi-level pass attack.

Best Bet: Over 66 at -108 with Heritage

Nice writeup as usual. I was on the over as soon as it came out at 65 110 as I see both teams at least in the 30s if not higher.

Any thoughts on the below...

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- North Carolina has been without arguably its best corner for the last six games and without its two best corners for the last three games. Now Storm Duck and Kyler McMichael are poised to be available on Friday when the No. 25 Tar Heels host undefeated No. 2 Notre Dame.

McMichael will play and likely start, while Duck's availability will depend on how he looks in practice this week and adjusts after missing so much time.

Nice writeup as usual. I was on the over as soon as it came out at 65 110 as I see both teams at least in the 30s if not higher.

Any thoughts on the below...

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- North Carolina has been without arguably its best corner for the last six games and without its two best corners for the last three games. Now Storm Duck and Kyler McMichael are poised to be available on Friday when the No. 25 Tar Heels host undefeated No. 2 Notre Dame.

McMichael will play and likely start, while Duck's availability will depend on how he looks in practice this week and adjusts after missing so much time.

Glad we seem to be on the same page.

Yeah I found UNC's pass D stats comparable to last year's when Duck was playing. Plus three DBs opted out this season. So the pass D is still missing people. I decided not to make anything of this news.

Notre Dame vs. North Carolina: Week 13 Betting Picks and Game Predictions

Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. North Carolina Tar Heels
Saturday, November 27, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. ET (ABC) at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

North Carolina’s Offensive Scheme

One can accurately say that North Carolina passes to facilitate its ground game and that North Carolina runs in order to set up its pass attack.

The Tar Heels will spread out a defense and then run different counter, power, and zone plays.

In the backfield, they feature primarily two different running backs, the very speedy Michael Carter and the stronger Javonte Williams. Both are averaging at least seven YPC.

They will also run in order to compel opposing linebackers to remain close to the line of scrimmage and to lull opposing defensive backs.

Then, quarterback Sam Howell becomes more dangerous perhaps by using play-action to set up the deep ball.

UNC, which ranks seventh nationally in yards per pass attempt, loves to go deep.

This offense has abundant wide receiver ability with which to capitalize on Howell’s deep ball accuracy.

Two wide receivers exceeded 1,000 yards last year. Both of them — Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome — plus five other wide receivers have earned a reception of 40 yards or longer this season.

Phil Longo’s offense will add some wrinkles to keep Notre Dame on its toes in other ways.

This offense is very much predicated on the idea of having numerical advantages.

For example, if Howell sees opposing defenders crashing on his running back in a handoff situation, he may keep it and exploit open running lanes for sizable gains.

Also, the Tar Heel offense will utilize tempo to wear down opposing defenders and to keep the defense from substituting.

North Carolina Offense vs. Notre Dame Defense

It’s easy to look at what the Irish run defense did against Clemson’s Travis Etienne and other running backs and to grow optimistic in Notre Dame’s run defense.

But Notre Dame’s excellent run defense statistics come at a cost that the Tar Heels will be glad to maximize.

To explain: the Tigers ran 14 play-action plays and accrued 15.9 YPP (yards per play) on those plays.

In their last game, the Irish saw Boston College attempt 16 play-action plays. BC’s drastically less potent offense accrued 11.1 YPP on those 16 attempts.

The Irish run defense seems strong because it sells out to stop the run. It will need to sell out to limit the Tar Heels’ thunder-and-lightning duo and Howell will make them pay.

Howell can make especially this Irish pass defense pay downfield.

Notre Dame routinely makes mistakes in coverage. Film study reveals routine tendencies of individual cornerbacks to play too soft, to get burnt, to arrive too late, to play with too much cushion, or for other reasons to give up big plays.

These mistakes happened against Clemson. But the Irish secondary was lucky to face Trevor Lawrence’s backup, who does not attempt deep passes at nearly the rate that Lawrence likes to.

Likewise, Boston College's quarterback is not typically accurate. But he still inflicted the Irish secondary with five pass plays of at least 20 yards.

After a rocky start to the season where he had his two worst games of the season in terms of passer rating and reached half of his current interception total, Howell is on point.

Completing 67.7 percent of his passes, he flashes the accuracy that Boston College’s quarterback lacks and the proclivity and supporting personnel to throw deep that Clemson’s lacked.

Notre Dame Offense vs. North Carolina Defense

Unlike North Carolina’s offense, Notre Dame’s will be potently two-dimensional.

North Carolina’s run defense lacks sufficient physicality against the run especially due to its inability to replace departed defensive linemen Aaron Crawford and Jason Strowbridge.

Its run defense numbers look decent because Boston College, NC State, and Syracuse produced abysmally little on the ground.

Performing well against those three teams, though, fails to justify hope in UNC’s run defense because they rank outside the top 80 nationally in rush offense.

UNC's lack of physicality, solidity, and stability against the run surfaced in other games but most noticeably in its most difficult test, against Virginia Tech, which produced 260 rushing yards on 48 attempts.

Like Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Virginia did against UNC, Notre Dame will use its ground game en route to a strong scoring output.

Notre Dame boasts a physical offensive line. Its strength up front will create enough push and enough holes for Kyren Williams to improve upon his current 5.7 YPC average.

Quarterback Ian Book is more comfortable throwing downfield than his reputation suggests. With him, the Irish rank 33rd in YPA.

Completing 62 percent of his passes and throwing 11 touchdowns to one interception, Book brings a degree of accuracy that UNC’s 96th-ranked pass defense hasn’t been tested by.

The Verdict

North Carolina will provide Notre Dame’s secondary with another tough test that will yield another high scoring output.

The Irish will also score a lot with its strong ground game complementing a multi-level pass attack.

Best Bet: Over 66 at -108 with Heritage
I see Our Lady with 41-45 and UNC with 31-35, so I’m with you.

UNC can score and out score ND. Notre Dame looks like they can play D according to their season history but what good quarterbacks have they played? This is the ACC and the teams in this conference suck. I give no props to Notre Dame this season and this is a great possibility for a loss. They are going to be tested to keep up on the road. Gonna be fun to see if they can. Clemson and the back up QB was their best test so far.

UNC can score and out score ND. Notre Dame looks like they can play D according to their season history but what good quarterbacks have they played? This is the ACC and the teams in this conference suck. I give no props to Notre Dame this season and this is a great possibility for a loss. They are going to be tested to keep up on the road. Gonna be fun to see if they can. Clemson and the back up QB was their best test so far.
Great points...

But the Clemson backup starts on all but about 10 teams in the country.

I think UNC is definitely going to have a chance.

Like VC says, Uiagalelei didn't/doesn't take the downfield shots Lawrence would've vs ND. So that allowed ND to play some different coverages and play more run which is what I remember VC's writeup stating. I don't think DJ would start at UNC, if UNC was one of the 10 schools BAR threw out that DJ wouldn't start at. The offense and passing game, even running game, offense top-to-bottom, the UNC O is going to field will be the best O ND has played. DJ is a very good QB at this stage of his game, but I don't think the O that Clemson fielded that night is as good as what UNC is going to field Friday.

That is all well and good, but if UNC can't get ND off the field it's over. Literally, which is the whole point of this thread.

Back to UNC's chances here, the thing that always kills teams I think when facing ND is Book running for first downs. ND's RBs will get yards and ND will make some plays through the air, but how UNC limits Book's running at key times of the game are going to matter.

I think UNC is definitely going to have a chance.

Like VC says, Uiagalelei didn't/doesn't take the downfield shots Lawrence would've vs ND. So that allowed ND to play some different coverages and play more run which is what I remember VC's writeup stating. I don't think DJ would start at UNC, if UNC was one of the 10 schools BAR threw out that DJ wouldn't start at. The offense and passing game, even running game, offense top-to-bottom, the UNC O is going to field will be the best O ND has played. DJ is a very good QB at this stage of his game, but I don't think the O that Clemson fielded that night is as good as what UNC is going to field Friday.

That is all well and good, but if UNC can't get ND off the field it's over. Literally, which is the whole point of this thread.

Back to UNC's chances here, the thing that always kills teams I think when facing ND is Book running for first downs. ND's RBs will get yards and ND will make some plays through the air, but how UNC limits Book's running at key times of the game are going to matter.
Good thoughts.

My initial read in this game was ND TT over. I've been involved in enough Carolina game... that defense is not good. My thought is, as long as ND wants to move the ball, they should. Now, that may sound simple but some teams do not always go all out to take advantage of an opponent. That is the thing with playing UNC...you can score and will score but you have to keep the foot on the pedal... cuz they will score as well and are relentless even when down DD's in the 2h...

Those OL injuries are giving me a bit of pause...until I can read up on them a bit more..

Total seems playable to the over...if this isn't a game played in at least the 30's then it has to be weather or a lot of turnovers in opponents territory. ..

For some balance, if I'm saying that ND's D hasn't faced a team with the O that UNC will have, it is also true that UNC's O hasn't played a D this good either. Who would their toughest D faced be....BC? Virginia? Pretty decent to above average ACC defenses, but ND should pose them some more challenges than Howell and Heels O has seen this year. I think they will hold up their end of the bargain though.

For some balance, if I'm saying that ND's D hasn't faced a team with the O that UNC will have, it is also true that UNC's O hasn't played a D this good either. Who would their toughest D faced be....BC? Virginia? Pretty decent to above average ACC defenses, but ND should pose them some more challenges than Howell and Heels O has seen this year. I think they will hold up their end of the bargain though.

Very good point.

ND defense is interesting. Some games they look really good...others like FSU/obv letdown spot with BC... they look average...

to be fair Clemson “back up qb” will be the starter next year. He has more talent than most starters just lacks experience. Of course Irish wernt really able to slow him down until ot, they did do a great job against Etienne tho.

to be fair Clemson “back up qb” will be the starter next year. He has more talent than most starters just lacks experience. Of course Irish wernt really able to slow him down until ot, they did do a great job against Etienne tho.
I hope I didnt imply that D.J. Uiagalelei does have talent. That would be stupid. I wasn't very clear but coming off the bench in his first start he tore it up well. I am just saying i Have Notre Dame far less ranked then where they are now and this is probably their best chance to fail.

I have been doing well with Notre Dame games and I know they are doomed this season. If the chalk get the money in this game the line is going up.

These dont always win but its nice support.

rank<6 and season > 2013 and site!= neutral and FC and op:line<-10 and streak>3 and opp:F and week>7

They shouldn't if they lose badly to a playoff team in ACC ship
They would have to get smoked like Bama did to them in 2012. i dont see that happening. Getting Lawrence back doesnt change the fact that ND dominated the trenches on both sides of the ball. I see Clemson winning by 10 or so in the rematch and wouldnt be surprised if ND won again

They would have to get smoked like Bama did to them in 2012. i dont see that happening. Getting Lawrence back doesnt change the fact that ND dominated the trenches on both sides of the ball. I see Clemson winning by 10 or so in the rematch and wouldnt be surprised if ND won again

it not like Lawrence was all Clemson was missing, they had several starting defensive players out of that game as well.

it not like Lawrence was all Clemson was missing, they had several starting defensive players out of that game as well.
That is true but yesterday ND was down 2 starting offensive lineman and it showed early but by the mid 3rd quarter their line was abusing Carolina's d-line. That's because they have depth and it helped Carolina's defense ain't very good. The most impressive thing was they held that offense to 78 total yards in the second half and did it without their best player on defense Hamilton a future top 15 pick and 2 DT's. How do you see the rematch going? Clemson scored 3 times while i typed this lol

Last edited:
That is true but yesterday ND was down 2 starting offensive lineman and it showed early but by the mid 3rd quarter their line was abusing Carolina's d-line. That's because they have depth and it helped Carolina's defense ain't very good. The most impressive thing was they held that offense to 78 total yards in the second half and did it without their best player on defense Hamilton a future top 15 pick and 2 DT's. How do you see the rematch going? Clemson scored 3 times while i typed this lol

I was curious how unc would look on offense if Irish took the run game away? I know Howell very talented but something nobody talks about is the fact unc rushing for around 250 a game! Most guys with any talent can put up good passing numbers with that kind of support. I thought the most impressive thing was Book, that kid has a great ability to get out of trouble and make plays down field running either direction which you don’t see a lot!

fucking Pitt just handing them scores, not even giving their very good front 7 have a damn chance!! At one point Pickett had 3 picks without a completion!! Lol. Didn’t think he have much success vs this d without a run game to help out. Didn’t expect all the int’s tho. Killing any chance under had, think everyone in world but me had that Pitt/Clemson over, lol.

far as Irish/Clemson rematch I dunno. I’m starting to think Irish deserve more credit than I been giving them, Book better than I realized and they pretty physical which I love!! I don’t think it would be a blowout, Clemson by 7-10 would be my guess.

Back