Notre Dame vs Michigan Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Hail to Irish Victors in Opener vs Michigan

#12 Notre Dame hosts #14 Michigan in its season opener on Saturday, September 1, at 7:30 ET on NBC. Both teams face questions, especially on offense. But Notre Dame will have more positive answers.

#14 Michigan at #12 Notre Dame

NCAAF Pick: Notre Dame +1

Michigan is winless against ranked teams on the road in three seasons under coach Harbaugh. Harbaugh is relying on former Ole Miss Rebel Shea Patterson, his third transfer quarterback while at Ann Arbor, to find success.

Patterson is the biggest reason why Michigan, which had opened as two-point underdogs, is favored. On the surface, his stats look appealing. But,13 of his 17 touchdowns came against South Alabama, Tennessee-Martin, and Vanderbilt. He had a field day against Auburn…after falling behind 35-3 at halftime when Auburn took the foot off the pedal. Conversely, he failed to achieve 50% completion and threw zero touchdowns to five interceptions against LSU and Alabama, the only defenses he faced that ranked in the top 80 in opposing quarterback rating. The Irish ranked 41st in the category and return their entire secondary minus one backup.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Patterson floundered despite having an offensive line that ranked higher than Michigan's in opposing sack percentage— and his tendency to run backwards in the face of pressure couldn’t have helped that statistic. He also got to play in a scheme which suited him and enjoyed a stacked receiver crew with arguably the nation’s best receiver, A.J. Brown.

Injuries and incompetence at quarterback carry only some blame for Michigan’s poor offense last season. Michigan’s young receiving crew was slow to develop. Right through the bowl game, the receivers were inconsistent in terms of drops and route running and they weren’t helpful enough in 50-50 balls. The most polished one was Tarik Black. He had led Michigan receivers through three games until he got injured and he will also miss the opener due to injury.

UM’s o-line ranked 115th in sack percentage. Inexperience will characterize both tackle positions and Cesar Ruiz will make his first start at center. Even if new offensive-line coach Ed Warriner works a speedy miracle, the film of Patterson throwing in a clean pocket worries me the most. He failed to execute simple inside slants and repeatedly threw into areas where there was no open window even though he had all day to deliberate. He threw nine interceptions. Three of them came on throws to the middle of the field and seven on throws between zero and 19 yards. Patterson’s inability to read coverage—after all, he only had seven starts last year—is worrisome because the short passing game is the way to beat Notre Dame’s pass defense. The Irish ranked 15th in opposing yards per pass attempt, but 48th in opposing completion percentage.

Patterson will have to finally do well against a strong defense despite a qualitative downgrade (compared to his Ole Miss teammates) in pass protection and wide receivers. In a largely new system, he’ll need to improve his football IQ and go through progressions and he’ll need to develop chemistry with new receivers. For comparison’s sake, 2015 quarterback transfer Jake Rudock needed until November to find his groove despite already being a solid fit for Harbaugh’s pro-style offense.

Notre Dame’s quarterback Brandon Wimbush is ahead of Patterson. Wimbush is in his second year as starter, meaning that offensive coordinator Chip Long can dig deeper into his playbook. Against defenses that ranked in the top 30 in efficiency, Notre Dame went 2-1 before November (when Notre Dame collapses every year)—the one loss coming against eventual national runner-up Georgia in a nail-biter— largely because Wimbush could, at worst, avoid turnovers, at best, dominate the likes of Michigan State. The key difference between him and Patterson is, besides proven success against top defenses, the ability to avoid turnovers. Patterson threw nine interceptions in seven games while Wimbush threw six in 13.

Wimbush's losses at wide receiver include an often disinterested Equanimeous St. Brown and a disciplinary basket case in Kevin Stepherson. Based on catch rate, returning receivers Chase Claypool and Miles Boykin actually had a higher catch radius and still showed deep-play potential. A superstar at running back departs. But historically, running back exercises a minimal influence on s&p and the Irish o-line returns 65 starts. Plus, Wimbush is a threat with his legs, accruing 803 yards and 14 touchdowns last season. He can succeed against a Michigan defense that allowed the respective quarterback of Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State each to run for over 60 yards. Michigan’s defense was somewhat of a paper tiger compared to Notre Dame’s. It faced three teams that ranked in the top 40 in offensive efficiency—Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State—and suffered double-digit losses against them. Conversely, Notre Dame faced six top-40 offenses and held three of them to 20 points or fewer. It led Wake 31-10 at half, before taking its foot off the pedal, then suffered the usual Notre Dame November collapse against Stanford and Miami.

Verdict:

Upon first glance, the „under“ seemed like the obvious play considering the question marks confronting each offense and the returning solidity on both defenses. But there is no value in the total. A Patterson fumble or interception or a Wimbush deep pass to Boykin against Michigan’s man coverage-inept safeties could quickly endanger it. Plus, both teams possess reliable pass catchers with significant height advantages that should make them scary red zone targets. Instead, I see the most value in the spread. if John O’Korn was starting for Michigan, Notre Dame would surely be favored, but Patterson won’t be the desired upgrade. In terms of chemistry with receivers, comfort in the system, and protection, Wimbush carries the definitive advantage over his counterpart.

Last edited:
My apologies for the title, no offense intended to UM fans. My editor told me to play off the title of the UM fight song for my title.

I know our UM expert BAR is on the other side....normally I like to blind tail his UM plays...but "cause BAR said so" isn't much of an article, so I had to just go with how I see it, and I think it's always helpful to have another perspective, so this is it...I assume everyone will disagree with me, feel free to discuss

Not submitting until midnight in case anyone (cough BAR/detroit/raems/whoever else) notices an error

Maybe it's the arbitrage guys just hammering both sides? Idk how to guess what bettors will make the closing line be from now. I'd think if the line change had anything to do with Black it would have happened much sooner. Although for that matter, ND's running back Dexter Williams is suspended four games

FWIW, a buddy of mine is the biggest Irish fan I know and is usually pretty spot on when it comes to picking their games, and he not only likes Michigan, but says they win handily.

No argument with the grammar. In fact, I like your use of "fewer" instead of "less" in the last paragraph. That's the correct choice.

I'm leaning to Michigan myself, mainly because I like the Michigan D.

Fun fact. The „luck“ of the Irish originally meant the Irish were very UNlucky. The term originates from the time of famine induced by the ill-intentioned English

Tarik Black got hurt the other day, UM receiver depth a concern.

I’d be careful fading Harbaugh as a favorite with prep personally, it’d be Michigan or no play for me on the side. Under is where I continue to believe the value lies, especially ND TT.

If the line flips I’ll be on UM, this defense dogged against Wimbush is laughable. 14 points could get the job done in this game for Patterson and Co.

Really curious about the ND offense. Losing their RB and 2 WRs and having another RB suspended gonna make Wimbush do even more. I can’t get last years performance against Miami out of my head, how the Canes D just manhandled them. Granted this is at home, but could see the UM D doing similar things to them, and while many are down on Patterson at QB for UM, he will give Harbaugh somethings he’s lacked, a play maker at QB.

Shea‘s individual performance will also matter more than it did at Ole Miss where he had more to lean on

I don‘t get why there‘s zero love for ND‘s D just because Michigan‘s D curb-stomped a bunch of cupcakes?

I don‘t get why a two point difference in spread would mean play or no play

On a pick em game, people like to back the steam especially when a team turns from dog to 1-2 point favorite. I don’t have historical stats to back this but been a firm believer that backing a 1/1.5 point dog on the money line when they were the favorite for most of the leadup is profitable.

There hasn‘t been any steam tho, just some guys at some books betting on a side, maybe just to arbitrage or maybe its their opinion who knows its a tight spread last time I checked i found both teams as dog depending on book

I remember seeing the team that turned favorite lose so many times as well and not just in football. Line movements move in the direction of the team that ends up losing all the time i dont think its different just cause the line is basically pk. Just cap the game man you have every right to like Mich i don‘t think other people‘s opinions should deter you or affirm you

Injuries are most likely the factor for line move. I noticed total dipped down yesterday mid afternoon as well. I almost bought off yesterday before that too. I preach not to bet during fall camp till injury/suspension issues cleared up and could bite myself in the arse. Shall see. ND TT u is still one helluva play regardless.

I feel like the total been dropping repeatedly tho before getting bet back up a little. Maybe its the matchup guys vs number guys

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I feel like a justification for Michigan has to be primarily a defense that Patterson is a significant upgrade over Peters/O'Korn/Speight. Both teams have good defense, talent in receiver crew, couple questions on offense (pass blocking Mich, running game ND). I feel like Wimbush has lots of questions as well after his inaccuracy last year. I mean, he wouldn't be the first ND QB to make a huge leap in completion % (Brady Quinn) not that that is relevant. Feel like you're on either ND or Mich, you're taking a stance to Patterson vs Wimbush

Watching film of Patterson was fun. He very loosely reminds of me like a Saquon Barkley at quarterback lol. Could pull off a houdini escape from pressure then lob it to the beast AJ Brown but could also run backwards trying to make a big play and end up killing a drive

It faced three teams that ranked in the top 40 in offensive efficiency—Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State—and suffered double-digit losses against them.

Lets dig deeper into two of those three games ... right?

I love digging deep. Go for it :)
Michigan had ball near midfield down 4 to OSU in basically the last poss of the game. Yes, OSU broke one (that won some tt bets) after that but that was not at all a dd win when you break it down.

Michigan and Wisky was tighter than your butthole on a first date until Peters got knocked out.

And peoples-Jones caught a TD right before that and they blew the call. Left foot touches before right foot. clear as day.

Ohio State was also hampered by having a qb who couldn‘t pass and fell behind early. Wiscy/Hornibrook played good offense in one quarter.

You mean their starting QB of the last 4/5 years?

Yea who couldn‘t pass but had legs especially before one injury or the other and had incredible running backs and receivers. And when Haskins came in he made an immediate difference

JT was 33-39 vs Penn State....

He could throw the ball, bud.

Michigan started their 3rd string QB. OSU started their 1st string QB and had a 5 star ready to come in (who got plenty of game action all year).

Stop...

JT was 33-39 vs Penn State....

He could throw the ball, bud.

Michigan started their 3rd string QB. OSU started their 1st string QB and had a 5 star ready to come in (who got plenty of game action all year).

Stop...

Against PSU every receiver was open by a mile. That was easily the case because the D had to account for the possibility that he or D/W would run. A pass D that also let Lewerke and Lee sit and shred. He had zero difficult throws to make, PSU’s pass defense was absurdly overrated at least until that game that‘s not even a question so please don‘t act like i‘m trolling. Haskins is already a solid update over Barrett.
Barrett is to OSU what Bill Schroeder was to GB with Favre at qb.

Back