Notre Dame vs Florida State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Edit: Book Out. Article No Longer Valid.

Fighting Irish Have Knockout Punch Ready for Visiting Florida State

Notre Dame hosts Florida State on Saturday at 7:30 ET on NBC. Currently holding the last playoff spot, the Irish won’t just want to beat Florida State. They’ll want to cover the very large spread and they’re more than capable of doing so.

Florida State (4-5, 3-6 ATS) at No. 4 Notre Dame (9-0, 4-4-1 ATS)

Saturday, 7:30 ET (NBC)

NCAAF Pick: Irish ATS

In South Bend, Indiana, the Seminoles will face temperatures about 40 degrees colder than what they faced in their last game. They could show up motivated despite the cold weather. But then again, Florida State hasn’t shown up all year. For example, its defense came out with awesome energy against top-ranked Clemson and the game was tied at zero after a quarter. But the game slowly tipped towards Clemson's favor and Florida State quickly lost its toughness. The game ended in a 59-10 Clemson victory. A culture of quitting seems to be establishing itself at FSU ever since its starting quarterback got injured in last year’s season opener. Since then, FSU is 6-14-1 ATS. This year, Florida State’s only covers came against Northern Illinois from the MAC, obviously a beatable opponent for an ACC team, Wake Forest, which has been a disaster in its own right with one of the nation’s worst defenses, and Miami, one of its two most hated rivals. Notre Dame is neither a beatable opponent, a disaster, or a hated rival.

Florida State’s defense has been especially problematic. In its past two games, against Clemson and NC State, the Seminoles allowed combined 106 points. Florida State allowed Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence to have his best game of the season in terms of yards and touchdown-to-interception ratio. Against NC State, FSU allowed Reggie Gallaspy to have his best game in terms of yards per carry (5.0) with at least double-digit carries. Those are the only ACC teams that FSU has faced which have both a capable rushing attack and a dangerous passing attack and FSU has shown little ability to stop a balanced offense.

Notre Dame’s balanced attack helped them stay undefeated last week against Northwestern. They produced over 30 points last week for the fifth time this season, whereas, with quarterback Brandon Wimbush, Notre Dame failed to do so in each of its first three games. Ian Book is a massive upgrade in terms of accuracy. Last week was actually his worst game in terms of passing completion. He completed 64.7% of his passes, whereas he had completed over 70% in his other five games. He also showed off his mobility, faking a handoff and easily galloping into the end zone for a 23 yard run that secured the game. FSU will have to concentrate to limit running back Dexter Williams, who is averaging over six yards per carry. But if FSU does focus on Williams, Book is comfortable carrying Notre Dame’s offense and is sure to make them pay. FSU’s secondary lost half of its top guys in the offseason and has dealt with a few injuries. Above all, its top cornerback Levanta Taylor is listed as „questionable“ for Saturday with an undisclosed injury. FSU has been lit up by its last two opposing quarterbacks faced, NC State’s Ryan Finley and Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence. Under the leadership of a new defensive coordinator, the secondary has yet to deal even somewhat successfully with a challenging pass attack.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On offense, FSU may be dealing with a quarterback controversy because James Blackmon started last week and may start again even if Deondre Francois is healthy. No matter who starts, Notre Dame is likely to achieve many sacks. FSU’s offensive line is about as awful as it was last year. It lacked depth to start the season and was inflicted with injury issues since the opener. It ranks 82nd in percentage of sacks allowed. Although Blackmon would signify an improvement over Francois in terms of feeling opposing pressure and navigating the pocket, he took five sacks last week from an NC State squad whose defensive line was decimated by 145 starts' worth of offseason departures. Notre Dame will be ready should Blackmon/Francois attempt 46 passes like last week. It ranks eighth in opposing passer rating, led by top cornerback Julian Love. The d-line presents a huge mismatch against FSU’s rush attack. It returned six of eight, including first-teamer Jerry Tillery, who leads the team with six sacks. ND ranks 37th in opposing yards per carry. Its best effort was to limit Michigan stud Karan Higdon to his worst game in terms of yards per carry, 2.2 below his season average.

Last edited:
Wimbush is a liability. Notre Dame has done with him as little as possible to win games, even letting Ball State stay in single digits. They start off strong then let the playcalling turn into vanilla so as to avoid turnovers and let the defense secure victory. Can only play FSU and under here. Just annoys me that FSU is a bunch of quitters. But Notre Dame doesn't have the killer ability here to put them away. If this were any opponent besides losers like FSU, Louisville and the Oakland Raiders, i'd be more confident.

I think the under is worth a play here. I could see ND up 17-3 and just running the ball and getting this one over. FSU all standing next to the heaters and not caring...

Going off the games with Wimbush earlier this season... Notre Dame will want to get the lead ASAP, then just milk the game away and secure it with its beast of a defense. So still ND a reasnable play but only for like 1Q or 1H. Then yea I agree. Under gotta be the right total here.

ND record in green jerseys? I think they haven't done well in those of late.

Anyone worried Nd is looking past this game and to Cuse at Yankee stadium next weekend?

FSU has been a dumpster fire and I assume Blackmon is at QB, but with Book out for ND and Winbush starting with no real backup behind him I can’t see ND playing any other way than pretty conservative just wanting to win and stay healthy?

I feel some of you are overthinking this. FSU has “literally” nothing to play for. 42 year bowl streak is gone. There SHOULD be a lot of youngsters playing in this game. The remainder of the season is going to be Bowl season practice in the sense it allows for some evaluation of the following class. Now’ these youngsters have some * talent, but it is not like FSU is going to have an epithamy and put it all together. The line reduction is a gift, regardless of the QB. If you do not want to give the points, put ND in a super ML parlay. The under may be the best straight up line to take. GL in whatever you decide.

Back