Notre Dame vs Ball State Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Classic Betting Scenario Speaks for Ball State Against Notre Dame

Notre Dame surprised and impressed everybody by the way in which it refused to allow Michigan to endanger its lead. Can the Irish bring the same intensity against Ball State on Saturday afternoon? A classic betting scenario, called the let-down spot, says no.

Ball State at Notre Dame

Saturday, 3:30 ET (NBC)

NCAAF Pick: Ball State +33.5

Notre Dame began its season in shocking fashion while the passing attack seemed to run on adrenaline. Quarterback Brandon Wimbush sought to answer doubts surrounding his pass accuracy by completing multiple bombs, including a 43-yard touchdown pass, to put his team ahead 14-0 in the first quarter. Despite holding on for an emotional and exciting victory, Notre Dame’s performance ultimately showed the classically inconsistent Wimbush, who fizzled out by completed 2-of-7 after starting 10-of-13, helping Notre Dame to only three points and 69 yards in the second half. Notre Dame’s victory leaves two key questions: one, can Wimbush bring the same adrenaline and come up with enough big plays to cover against an opponent that Notre Dame is expected to defeat easily? and two, can the Irish, which were out-gained by Michigan, reproduce the same effort to keep points off the board in a vastly less exciting environment? History suggests that teams coming off a huge, primetime victory fall flat when they face a lackluster, „boring“ opponent in the following week. This expected drop in performance is called the „let-down angle."

Ball State may look like a team not worth betting on under any circumstances. It did finish 2-10 last season, but it was in an impossible position to succeed. Its starting quarterback and running back got injured in the third game and some wide receivers and three more quarterbacks joined them en route to nine straight losses. Now, Ball State’s stars on offense return with added depth thanks to the playing time that backups received.

Quarterback Riley Neal picked up where he left off, going 23-for-30 for 259 yards and two touchdowns in Ball State’s opener against Central Connecticut. Neal has positive experience against Power Five opponents, nearly (although Ball State gained 159 more yards) leading Ball State to victory at Illinois last season, throwing for over 200 yards in a 10-point loss at Indiana in 2016, and, as a freshman in 2015, throwing two touchdowns in a narrow loss at Northwestern. With Neal as starter, Ball State is 3-1 ATS against Power 5 opponents.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The key with Neal is that he’s consistently accurate, accruing a 61.3 completion percent in his career. Notre Dame’s defense excels at limiting big passing plays, but has problems with accurate quarterbacks. This problem was evident last week, when Michigan’s quarterback Dylan McCaffrey immediately entered into the game for Shea Patterson and was able to move his team down half the field with quick and short passes. Last season, Notre Dame ranked 15th in opposing yards per pass attempt, but 48th in opposing completion percentage. An offense succeeds against the Irish through the short passing game, which is exactly what Ball State likes to do. The Cardinals execute an up-tempo, dink-and-dunk offense and, with 13 of their top 14 receivers and of course their quarterback returning, they execute this offense as well as they can. They do this relentlessly. For example, in the cover against Indiana, they were down 30-0 but chose to keep fighting.

Whereas Ball State will keep fighting, I doubt that the Irish will—assuming that the Irish do eventually extend their lead to three or even four touchdowns—because they’ll lack the motivation. The NCAA established a new rule whereby freshmen can play in four games while still retaining their redshirt. Notre Dame plays two Power Five opponents after Ball State—Vanderbilt then Wake Forest — and will want to use the opportunity against Ball State to give its youth more experience.

The Verdict

Brandon Wimbush consistently exemplifies the let-down angle. Last season, after an exciting game against top opponent Georgia, he completed 11-of-24 for 96 yards against lowly Boston College. Then, after impressively dominating Michigan State, he completed 7-of-18 for 119 yards against Miami of Ohio, which plays in the same conference as Ball State. After defeating top opponent Michigan, expect a similar let-down from Wimbush. The thing is that, last year, Wimbush could still rely on his offensive line and superstar running back Josh Adams to put up a lot of points. But Adams is gone, his backup Dexter Williams suspended, and the offensive line is weakened by departures. Wimbush is essentially Notre Dame’s offense, whereas Ball State’s Neal is complemented by James Gilbert and Caleb Huntley at running back, who looked great in their season opener but more importantly at least one of them achieved strong numbers and big plays against the same Power 5 opponents that Neal did.

The Irish will be lackluster relative to what they can normally do, while Ball State will give its best performance when it has nothing to lose and its dink-and-dunk offense will ultimately hang around to cover the spread.

Ball St certainly has some weapons. I'm a little hesitant based off of what I saw with NIU at Iowa last week, but I will say that Ball St fields much more proven and diverse offensive talents than NIU does and the overall situation is more favorable for this MAC vs P5-type team than NIU was (in hindsight). On D Anthony Winbush was their only All-Conf player on D last year and with him gone people wondered if anyone in the DL could step up this year. Sounds like Soph Christian Albright has a pretty high ceiling at DE/OLB so they have a potential under the radar player to get in the backfield...maybe.

On a much smaller scale, but still somewhat comparable this game reminds me a little bit of the WF-ND game last year. ND was off the hyped NCSt game and had Miami on deck. Here comes overlooked WF. ND dominated early, but the back door was wide wide open and WF kept firing their O and that spread was only 14, here it is what nearly 5 TDs? I like Ball State in this game. Ball St will score some pts here, not sure when, it might be in the 4th, but they should get in the 20s I would guess....although, not like Ball St looks past ND, but they do have perhaps a game on deck that their staff views as more winnable next week at Indiana. Just saying, there could be some sort of plan for snap counts or substituting to preserve some health. Still I will put some real money down on Ball St with you my friend.

Notre Dame's D is going to face a much better offense than they saw last week. ;)

I was thinking hard about the total, thinking maybe 40-21 or so? Low comp % from Wimbush a few big plays in passing game also from Book against 119th ranked D in yards per play allowed and without its own Wimbush. Ball State O is what I wanna rely on most to cover.

I don‘t think there‘s a lookahead angle for Ball State. Any game is more winnable for them on paper than ND why would they schedule a game just to lay down in it? I think this is the biggest game those kids will ever play and hopefully they‘ll bring their best but hopefully their best won‘t even be necessary to cover huge spreas

You are right, look ahead is not the right way to say it. Playing Notre Dame in South Bend is going to be inspiring for the players and coaches. Inspiring is one thing, getting some results is another thing. I just wanted to mention that you know, we hear former coaches and players say some games are "circled", "red letter games", etc. Everyone knows they aren't going to beat ND. Coaches would never want to say that in those express words, they'll give coach speak "we want to compete and see where we are"...but Indiana has lost to MAC teams before and Ball St has competed well vs some lower B1G recently. So anyway, just throwing it out there that the staff may not be all in for this game with respect to playing starters til all the way. But what do I know.

One could probably point to the Miami, Oh at ND game last year...Mia +20.5, lost 52-17. Doesn't make one want to run to the betting win on this one here, but still, this line is higher, I haven't looked at week 2 lines yet, but you say it is 33.5, so almost 2 TDs higher. I do think Ball St will be much better team this year, I took an Over 4 win total on them. Anyway, I think we are definitely going to need Ball St to top 20 in this game to have a chance because ND should score alot really quick and then it is just a matter of how many they get, they can certainly top 50.

Total got bet up fast to 61.5, right at the number of my score prediction. I hate total plays for football in general anyways

Unsurprising ND love after their big win vs Mich brings this up to 34.5. Happy to take five touchdowns

Good write up. And a persuasive one. But not persuasive enough.

I just can't see risking my money on a team that was 2-10 last year. You list the extenuating circumstances that led to that record, but you leave out the fact they were 3-9 ATS. Bettors presumably knew about the injuries and were able to take those injuries into account and move the line to even those things out and Ball St still only managed 3-9. I avoid team with losing records SU and ATS.

I agree N Dame is likely to be flat for this game though.

Bettors don‘t tend to know about those small schools. For instance Illinois announced many injuries last week the line barely changed though and Kent State covered easily. So I think that‘s just speculation. Even if odds adjusted some.... Ball State got blown out massively without those star players so the impact was too great. I mean fading Ball State sure was an idea that flew under my radar. But odds adjust for a team year to year anyways I don‘t think one bad ats year under extenuating circumstances (or not) says anything about a cover the following year. I just find that totally irrelevant to this game.

BYU is another example. Decimated by injury last year 4-9 ats. Won and covered last week. Things can change massively in a year. Teams aren‘t hampered by old records.

And what about the ats record I listed for Neal against power 5 teams?

Last edited:
2016 Browns 49ers Rams were bottom 3 ats. 2017 Rams and 49ers had winning ats records. Things change. Oddsmakers know that bettors emphasize outdated or surface impressions of a team

Happens in one year that oddsmakers can never fully adjust. Like when Falcons over was perfect at home in 2016

Last edited:
Good write up. And a persuasive one. But not persuasive enough.

I just can't see risking my money on a team that was 2-10 last year. You list the extenuating circumstances that led to that record, but you leave out the fact they were 3-9 ATS. Bettors presumably knew about the injuries and were able to take those injuries into account and move the line to even those things out and Ball St still only managed 3-9. I avoid team with losing records SU and ATS.

I agree N Dame is likely to be flat for this game though.

Everyone has to do their own thing and figure out their own way. Follow one's instincts, methods, teachings, opinions and hunches to the best of their ability for their own success or failure. Not every play is going to be for everybody.

The way I look at it, if I proclaim something and follow my own beliefs and I fail that is my bad and I can handle that, I am accountable for my own decisions and live with it. If I fail following somebody else's path that really bothers me. Not speaking on betting really, just everything in life. I'll accept the consequences of my own actions, hard to accept the consequences of following somebody elses.

Ball St certainly has some weapons. I'm a little hesitant based off of what I saw with NIU at Iowa last week, but I will say that Ball St fields much more proven and diverse offensive talents than NIU does and the overall situation is more favorable for this MAC vs P5-type team than NIU was (in hindsight). On D Anthony Winbush was their only All-Conf player on D last year and with him gone people wondered if anyone in the DL could step up this year. Sounds like Soph Christian Albright has a pretty high ceiling at DE/OLB so they have a potential under the radar player to get in the backfield...maybe.

On a much smaller scale, but still somewhat comparable this game reminds me a little bit of the WF-ND game last year. ND was off the hyped NCSt game and had Miami on deck. Here comes overlooked WF. ND dominated early, but the back door was wide wide open and WF kept firing their O and that spread was only 14, here it is what nearly 5 TDs? I like Ball State in this game. Ball St will score some pts here, not sure when, it might be in the 4th, but they should get in the 20s I would guess....although, not like Ball St looks past ND, but they do have perhaps a game on deck that their staff views as more winnable next week at Indiana. Just saying, there could be some sort of plan for snap counts or substituting to preserve some health. Still I will put some real money down on Ball St with you my friend.

Notre Dame's D is going to face a much better offense than they saw last week. ;)

Thanks for tailing s—k! Glad we got it! Nice and easy :)

Thanks for tailing s—k! Glad we got it! Nice and easy :)

I didn't tail, I agreed. :cheers3:

Game did not play out like I envisioned, but that happens alot. Never would've thought it would be a one score game.

„Still I will put some real money down on Ball St with you my friend.“

Oh well fair enough

I'm sure someone did. It was a pretty popular play (ball state).

I meant its low-key my job to get people to tail. Not sure how I coulda been more persuasive without compromising my honesty ie without sounding like a tout

Back