Notre Dame 2013 Season Thread

GoIrish!

Pretty much a regular
Here we go boys...12-1 season last year...not to shabby!!!!!!!!!!!!...but what a fuckin crazy offseason!!! wow...give me a few days to compose my thoughts on all the shit that has happened

:thinking:

Offense doesn't rate to improve a whole lot. QB play won't drop as much as is being suggested (if at all), but skill guys are getting swapped out at several positions and a couple new OLmen will plug in.

Defense will be monstrous...again. Not going to score much or run on them unless you have an NFL offensive line the way Bama did. Short of that, its only going to be 14-17 ppg again. Temple won't score unless its a pick-6 or a DB slips and falls down. Lay those points.

Notre Dame 2013...not so different from Notre Dame 2012.

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Wednesday that senior Tommy Rees will enter this season as the team's starting quarterback.
Kelly's announcement at an event in Grand Rapids, Mich., quickly cleared up any questions about the position in the wake of the news that last season's starter, Everett Golson, no longer is enrolled at the school. Golson's departure was academic-related, a source confirmed to ESPN's Joe Schad.
[h=4]More on Notre Dame football[/h]
87.gif
Everything Notre Dame football, from recruiting to news to game coverage, is available from ESPN.com's Matt Fortuna in his Notre Dame football blog.
More: ESPN Chicago's college blog

"We have Tommy Rees, who is an established player, and he will be our starter," Kelly said. "We think Andrew Hendrix and Malik Zaire can contribute, but Tommy will be our starter."
Golson started 11 games for the Fighting Irish last season as a redshirt freshman, leading the team to the Discover BCS National Championship, where it lost to Alabama to finish a 12-1 season.
Rees brings a wealth of experience, starting 18 games with more than 4,000 passing yards in his career.
Hendrix, a fourth-year junior, and Zaire, a spring enrollee, also are on the depth chart.

Uh-oh. Tommy Rees. Whaddya think, GoIrish, you're right there? Any magic in that guy?

Really disappointed to not be able to see the Notre Dame verses Michigan game after next season as it was one of the better early season match-ups when so many are playing cupckaes. From my understanding of this it was The Irish who canceled the games.

Really disappointed to not be able to see the Notre Dame verses Michigan game after next season as it was one of the better early season match-ups when so many are playing cupckaes. From my understanding of this it was The Irish who canceled the games.

They did.

I would say more UM fans than not would rather have it be gone so that they can go play other teams home and home throughout the country and expand recruiting.

There are obviously plenty of memories for many of this series though...even during the bad era for UM there were some great games as well as when I grew up and started watching in late-eighties and whatnot.

UTL should be another tremendous game. Be interesting to see if DG can have a coming out party of sorts this early with a line gelling against a great defense. Either way, a great way to close the A2 part of this series.

Well, Michigan State has been the better rival of late or at least the team to give ND more problems.

Uh-oh. Tommy Rees. Whaddya think, GoIrish, you're right there? Any magic in that guy?

Yes...The Guy is 8-4 as started...sure hes good for a few TO's but come on..he was pretty much just thrown in there after Dayne's flop. I don't think people realize what he did last year...he came in and won the game against Purdue in the 4th Q, played 2.5 Q against Michigan, played 4th and OT against Stanford, played all of BYU, had an appearance in the Pitt game...............Guy bailed ND out in a few games last year.

TR will put points on the board...last year he did show he could manage a game and not commit the same ol' TO's that he had been accustomed to. It'll be interesting to see how BK uses him this year with the dominant D ND will put on the field

I'm not...get Michigan off the schedule......

My predictions........I will be going over the 8.5 wins put on ND for team total

A31 TEMPLE 3:30pm NBC..............................Win
S07 @ Michigan 8pm ABC.............................Win
S14 @ Purdue 8pm ABC/ESPN......................Win
S21 MICHIGAN STATE 3:30pm NBC...............Win
S28 OKLAHOMA 3:30pm NBC.......................Win
O05 ARIZONA STATE (Dallas) 7:30pm NBC..Win
O19 SOUTHERN CAL 7:30pm NBC.................Win
O26 @ Air Force 5pm CBSSN.......................Win
N02 NAVY 3:30pm NBC.................................Win
N09 @ Pittsburgh TBD ABC/ESPN...................Win
N23 BYU 3:30pm NBC....................................Win
N30 @ Stanford TBD Fox...............................Win

My predictions........I will be going over the 8.5 wins put on ND for team total

A31 TEMPLE 3:30pm NBC..............................Win
S07 @ Michigan 8pm ABC.............................Win
S14 @ Purdue 8pm ABC/ESPN......................Win
S21 MICHIGAN STATE 3:30pm NBC...............Win
S28 OKLAHOMA 3:30pm NBC.......................Win
O05 ARIZONA STATE (Dallas) 7:30pm NBC..Win
O19 SOUTHERN CAL 7:30pm NBC.................Win
O26 @ Air Force 5pm CBSSN.......................Win
N02 NAVY 3:30pm NBC.................................Win
N09 @ Pittsburgh TBD ABC/ESPN...................Win
N23 BYU 3:30pm NBC....................................Win
N30 @ Stanford TBD Fox...............................Win

I don't know if Notre Dame will win them all, but they are all certainly winnable.

A few thoughts on offense:

I think Rees will be better than expected this year, perhaps much better than expected. People forget that the last time Rees was a starter, the OL was awful and he was a sophomore. He won't be running for his life every play, he should have a serviceable running game, and the WRs are very dependable and experienced. He will get ND in the right play almost every time. Most importantly, the coaches have had enough time to craft an offense to take advantage of his skills and limitations. Remember, when he took over as a soph, Crist was expected to be the starter. All offseason and preseason Crist got 1st team snaps. The offense was crafted for Crist. Then, 30 minutes in to the season, Rees is the starter. They installed an entire offense in the offseason and had to junk it after 30 minutes. Last season it was the same thing except even worse because the offense was built for Golson so it incorporated a lot of option and roll-outs which Rees just cannot execute.

I think the OL will be good to excellent this year. At, WR, I think Davaris Daniels is a star in the making. TJ Jones is very dependable and underrated because he doesn't wow you with size or athleticism, he just catches 8 balls for 80 yards every game. TE will take a step back this year although they will get more blocking production from the position. Eifert was an extra WR and not much of a blocker. Nicklas isn't going to split out wide and create matchup problems like Eifert, but he will maul some mother fuckers at the LOS. The RB situation is concerning. Atkinson sucks between the tackles and has no cutback ability. McDaniels is white. Who knows about Mahone, I don't read much about him. They need one of the freshman RBs to be as good as advertised. If they can step up and carry the ball 10+ times a game it will make a big difference. I know Bryant was more highly rated, but Folston's highlight reel looks much better IMO. Of course, highlight reels have to be taken with a grain of salt but Folston looks faster, jukier (is that a word?) and I love his vision.

I expect ND to be more productive on offense against the bad/mediocre teams (Purdue, Pitt, Temple, Navy, etc). I think they will struggle against the good defensive teams (Mich State, Stanford, USC, Michigan) because Rees doesn't have enough arm strength to stretch the field and the entire game will be played within 20 yards of the LOS. In these games they will need the defense to keep it under 20.

Yes...The Guy is 8-4 as started...sure hes good for a few TO's but come on..he was pretty much just thrown in there after Dayne's flop. I don't think people realize what he did last year...he came in and won the game against Purdue in the 4th Q, played 2.5 Q against Michigan, played 4th and OT against Stanford, played all of BYU, had an appearance in the Pitt game...............Guy bailed ND out in a few games last year.

TR will put points on the board...last year he did show he could manage a game and not commit the same ol' TO's that he had been accustomed to. It'll be interesting to see how BK uses him this year with the dominant D ND will put on the field

A few thoughts on offense:

I think Rees will be better than expected this year, perhaps much better than expected. People forget that the last time Rees was a starter, the OL was awful and he was a sophomore. He won't be running for his life every play, he should have a serviceable running game, and the WRs are very dependable and experienced. He will get ND in the right play almost every time. Most importantly, the coaches have had enough time to craft an offense to take advantage of his skills and limitations. Remember, when he took over as a soph, Crist was expected to be the starter. All offseason and preseason Crist got 1st team snaps. The offense was crafted for Crist. Then, 30 minutes in to the season, Rees is the starter. They installed an entire offense in the offseason and had to junk it after 30 minutes. Last season it was the same thing except even worse because the offense was built for Golson so it incorporated a lot of option and roll-outs which Rees just cannot execute.

I think the OL will be good to excellent this year. At, WR, I think Davaris Daniels is a star in the making. TJ Jones is very dependable and underrated because he doesn't wow you with size or athleticism, he just catches 8 balls for 80 yards every game. TE will take a step back this year although they will get more blocking production from the position. Eifert was an extra WR and not much of a blocker. Nicklas isn't going to split out wide and create matchup problems like Eifert, but he will maul some mother fuckers at the LOS. The RB situation is concerning. Atkinson sucks between the tackles and has no cutback ability. McDaniels is white. Who knows about Mahone, I don't read much about him. They need one of the freshman RBs to be as good as advertised. If they can step up and carry the ball 10+ times a game it will make a big difference. I know Bryant was more highly rated, but Folston's highlight reel looks much better IMO. Of course, highlight reels have to be taken with a grain of salt but Folston looks faster, jukier (is that a word?) and I love his vision.

I expect ND to be more productive on offense against the bad/mediocre teams (Purdue, Pitt, Temple, Navy, etc). I think they will struggle against the good defensive teams (Mich State, Stanford, USC, Michigan) because Rees doesn't have enough arm strength to stretch the field and the entire game will be played within 20 yards of the LOS. In these games they will need the defense to keep it under 20.

Some very good points.....the only thing i will add onto the running backs..if Amir Carlisle can stay healthy this year..he could be dominate and possibly take Cam's carries away

New Shamrock Series Uniforms for game in Jerry's World
[video=youtube;1W09j2RcBkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W09j2RcBkQ#at=13[/video]

I'm going to miss that Michigan game. Hate this ACC stuff on the horizon.

I go back and forth on that. I hate to lose the Michigan game but I'm really looking forward to games against Florida State, Miami, Va Tech, Clemson and Ga Tech. Especially since I live in Tennessee and have easy road trips to many of the ACC schools.

I'm going to miss that Michigan game. Hate this ACC stuff on the horizon.

I don't get the unis and the love/hate for them. They are just white jerseys with gold letters (and green outline) and a shamrock on the back near the neck. The gloves and the undershirt are what is "flashy" on that dude. What's the big hubbub about them, either way?

Good to see you Irish.. Always like to hear what you have to say..

Look forward to working with you this season.

Hate the unies, I draw the line at the occasional green jersey. Sacrilegious as Penn State showing up in neon blue.

Hate the unies, I draw the line at the occasional green jersey. Sacrilegious as Penn State showing up in neon blue.

But those jerseys are just white jerseys with gold letters and a green outline. Oh, and the shamrock on the sleeves and maybe the back. I completely agree about the horrible "uniforms" that some teams have trotted out in the past few years, but the one in this thread is pretty basic, is it not? It's almost as if someone at ND said enough is enough with these horrible neon colored uniforms, let's make a deal....you give us a basic uniform with a little dash of color and we'll let you design an undershirt and flashy gloves for our players to wear that will "complete" the uniform.

But those jerseys are just white jerseys with gold letters and a green outline. Oh, and the shamrock on the sleeves and maybe the back. I completely agree about the horrible "uniforms" that some teams have trotted out in the past few years, but the one in this thread is pretty basic, is it not? It's almost as if someone at ND said enough is enough with these horrible neon colored uniforms, let's make a deal....you give us a basic uniform with a little dash of color and we'll let you design an undershirt and flashy gloves for our players to wear that will "complete" the uniform.
The point is...they are "different"...they are flashy and yes the undershirt and gloves are part of the uniform. You may not think so but these shamrock series uniforms are a huuuuuuge step in breaking tradition at notre dame. I am glad they do it...its brings attention to Notre Dame and gives the players/recruits something to look forward to unlike years in the past.

I go back and forth on that. I hate to lose the Michigan game but I'm really looking forward to games against Florida State, Miami, Va Tech, Clemson and Ga Tech. Especially since I live in Tennessee and have easy road trips to many of the ACC schools.

not to mention..steal a few recruits from the South Eastern states because of the presence that will be there by Notre Dame playing those teams
:dancing:

[video=youtube;-60gcbtoXiU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-60gcbtoXiU[/video]

My boss sent out a thread saying "why I might not answer the phone on Saturdays".
When you opened it, there was the ND schedule.

So I replied all , that I could see 5-6 possibly.

Purdon't a sandwich game( I stayed away from most of the contender games).
BYU with Idaho St. as a breezer the week before.
USC with 8 days off to prepare

That sort of thing..........to his credit , he didn't rise to bait.
I did tell him the Ags were still selling QB's on ebay that have the ability to sign their own names.

Good luck this season.

Danny Spond, who started every game at drop LB, has played his last down of football. Injury related.

Looks like the 5-star LB Jaylon Smith will be getting a lot of reps whether he is ready or not. Inside scoop from practice is that he is really, really good in coverage but they worry about him holding the edge in the running game. He is 220ish, so about 30 lbs lighter than most of their LBs. The other option is junior Ben Councell. I've heard mixed reviews on this kid.

This is a big loss for ND. The kind they avoided all of last season.

New Shamrock Series Uniforms for game in Jerry's World
[video=youtube;1W09j2RcBkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W09j2RcBkQ#at=13[/video]

Not sure if using #5 for the promo video was the best choice. Nevertheless, I think the uni is tight.

OFFENSE
WR: TJ Jones, Corey Robinson*
WR: DaVaris Daniels, Daniel Smith
LT: Zack Martin, Hunter Bivin*
LG: Chris Watt, Mark Harrell
C: Nick Martin, Matt Hegarty
RG: Christian Lombard, Conor Hanratty
RT: Ronnie Stanley, Steve Elmer*
TE: Troy Niklas, Ben Koyack, Alex Welch
WR: Chris Brown, James Onwualu*
QB: Tommy Rees, Andrew Hendrix
RB: George Atkinson III, Amir Carlisle OR Cam McDaniel OR Greg Bryant