Note to Big East Coaches

Mort The Flying Cow

Pretty much a regular
Gentlemen,

Many of you have seen your names appear on national coaching searches in recent years. Some of you have even turned down much more high profile jobs to remain at your current university.

Congratulations on your fuck up. You may now remain at your current school, while the Big East collapses. Your time came and has now gone. You will stay at your current job until your teams get so bad that you are fired.

Thank you for your time,

College Football

PS - Kragthorpe? You could have gone almost anywhere. Enjoy the talentless team Petrino left for you.

PPS - Brian Kelly, get out. Get out NOW! This is your last warning.

PPPS - Bill Stewart, there are some used towels in the lockerroom. Can you pick those up and wash them by hand? Thanks.

syracuse will get turner gil from buffalo.

stewart is safe at WVU

Schiano turned down miamifl i believe , doubt he is going anywhere even with the stadium issues there. He got outcoached badly by butch davis the other night .. elaboration later in post

brian kelly will be at cincy awhile

kragthorpe -- who knows but who are they going to get to come in there if they let him go ?

leavitt is good and starting to get even better florida talent.

uconn -- not sure about edsall ... i would love to have him coaching my team.

wanny - no idea what happens there. incredible recruiting though.

Did you guys see what Butch Davis did to rutgers and how rutgers did not have an answer for it ?? He took his HUGE defensive line and and had them completely focus on run stopping, and played 7 or 8 back in ZONE coverage !!! Teel was then left with decent time but nowhere to throw the ball and Rutgers play design was a lot of out patterns , crossing patterns and fly patterns. Schiano never adjusted either. Outside of dumping the ball off to the RB out of the backfield , they did not do the needed things ... curl patterns , sit patterns , read patterns from the TE , and seam routes to beat the zone. The result was receivers getting HAMMERED by the back 7 of UNC and Teel forcing balls that got intercepted. You just don't see that much zone in college football and I thought it was an incredible gameplan that Davis employed defensively. Also note that it was the second consecutive game that Rutgers wore down in the second half. Butch Davis can really recruit , we know that ... but if he is a gameday coach like this week in and week out , UNC is a program that is going to make some serious noise in the coming years.

think unc will be a decent bet this year...maybe not the next few weeks after that ass-kicking, but they def have the talent at the skills positions. schiano not adjusting was very surprising. i guess it was another lesson from teacher to pupil

Where are you getting Syracuse will get Gill from Buffalo? Let me just say that I live in the Buffalo area and there hasn't even been an obscure rumor about that. I'm not trying to be a jerk at all VK, but with all due respect that's more than likely not going to happen. Gill basically turned down the Nebraska job to stay here at UB. I understand he wasn't "officially" offered the job, but from many accounts around here, he told them he wasn't that interested before they decided.

Gill has been perfect for this school and has a great opportunity to build a yearly winner in the MAC conference. He doesn't seem to be the type to go to Syracuse (a bottom tier Big East school) just to coach at a "name" school. He truly seems to want to build a winner from scratch, and if he didn't want to go to Nebraska, why in the bloody hell would he want to coach at Syracuse??

not sure why Rutgers had no plan on how to deal with zone coverage. Announcer kept saying how WR needed to stop their route. Well, you can't do that when reading the coverage is clearly not part of the plan. QB and WR were both counting on the WR to keep those drag routes going. No idea why. Seems very basic to me.

Ha you guys are so wrong about Pitt its ridiculous.

Ive seen numerous people post that Wannstedt is gone if he has a losing year on this site

I would be willing to bet you all any amount of money unless he only win's 3 games or less he will be at Pitt next season. Any amount of money you are willing to wager. A million dollars? you got it.

Dave Wannstedt will be the coach at Pitt next season...fucking A

Where are you getting Syracuse will get Gill from Buffalo? Let me just say that I live in the Buffalo area and there hasn't even been an obscure rumor about that. I'm not trying to be a jerk at all VK, but with all due respect that's more than likely not going to happen. Gill basically turned down the Nebraska job to stay here at UB. I understand he wasn't "officially" offered the job, but from many accounts around here, he told them he wasn't that interested before they decided.

Gill has been perfect for this school and has a great opportunity to build a yearly winner in the MAC conference. He doesn't seem to be the type to go to Syracuse (a bottom tier Big East school) just to coach at a "name" school. He truly seems to want to build a winner from scratch, and if he didn't want to go to Nebraska, why in the bloody hell would he want to coach at Syracuse??

I don't think that's the case. I never heard that T. Gill turned down the Husker job. All accounts were that Bo was the first choice with Gill #2.

Ha you guys are so wrong about Pitt its ridiculous.

Ive seen numerous people post that Wannstedt is gone if he has a losing year on this site

I would be willing to bet you all any amount of money unless he only win's 3 games or less he will be at Pitt next season. Any amount of money you are willing to wager. A million dollars? you got it.

Dave Wannstedt will be the coach at Pitt next season...fucking A

Steve P may want to bring in Callahan. LOL.

I don't think that's the case. I never heard that T. Gill turned down the Husker job. All accounts were that Bo was the first choice with Gill #2.

He didn't necessarily come out and turn it down. I guess the feeling was more like he didn't do much to "wow" them in the interview because he truly likes it here at UB. He wanted to see what it was all about, so went in for the interivew, but I'm not sure his heart was really in it. At least that's the vibe that was portrayed around here.

I have seen this rumored several places but certainly defer to someone more in tune with that program. I assumed with his recruiting connections the move would make sense .. especially with buffalo graduating 10 or 11 senior starters this year. I was just guessing based on some of the rumors that i read about over the course of offseason and after slow syracuse start..... living in buffalo you probably have a better grasp of that situation though. Here is one of the articles i read.... Not just pulling it out of my butt.

You want names for GRob's potential replacement? Let the listings begin.

by Bud Poliquin Tuesday September 09, 2008, 12:02 AM

Syracuse, N.Y. -- As you might have expected, I've been hit with a lot of correspondence relative to the Syracuse University football team and its beleaguered head coach, Greg Robinson, who might soon be modeling a bit of tar and more than a few feathers.
Oh, it's ugly . . . and you'll get a taste of it all on Friday when the BudBlog mailbag will be almost entirely turned over to those missives I've received. Not all of them, mind you, because even cyberspace has its limitations, but certainly a representative number.
While awaiting that, I would like to answer a question that has been asked over and over in those e-mailings: Who might be the next Orange football coach?
I have, of course, no solid clue. Not on this date. But I do know this: I would be shocked and more than a little disappointed if Daryl Gross, in his search for Robinson's replacement, returns his gaze to the NFL. The good doctor went the pro route the last time for his head coach -- who, in turn, plucked his first failed offensive coordinator, the dazed and confused Brian Pariani, from the NFL -- and we've all seen how that's worked out.
medium_chris.jpg
Associated Press/Troy MabenIt would be a dream come true for some Syracuse University football fans if Chris Petersen, currently the head coach at Boise State, would some day point the way for the Orange.

In any event, I believe that the inevitable New Guy will have to be:
-- In his 30s or 40s.
-- An offensive-minded "college" guy with a clear vision of the scoring laboratory that the flat, dry, climate-controlled Carrier Dome can become.
-- A fellow with college head-coaching experience.
-- A proven recruiter, ideally with "ins" up and down the East Coast who can sell this SU program that desperately needs selling.
Among those popular names that can be eliminated, I believe, from the area's wish list are (1) Kevin Rogers, who is more a MacPherson/Pasqualoni guy than a Gross guy, and (2) George O'Leary, who probably couldn't get pulled out of Central Florida and back to Central New York with a team of horses.
That submitted, and without any specific knowledge of the language in existing contracts relative to escape clauses and what-not, here are three not-so-surprising names to put on your early roll:
Skip Holtz, the East Carolina coach who has led to Pirates to seasons of 5-6, 7-6, 8-5 and now to 2-0 and a No. 14 ranking in the latest Associated Press poll.
Chris Petersen, the Boise State coach who has led the Broncos to seasons of 13-0, 10-3 and now to 1-0 and a No. 29 ranking in the latest Associated Press poll.
Turner Gill, the Buffalo coach who has led the Bulls to seasons of 2-10, 5-7 and now to 1-1.
The identity of more candidates will undoubtedly surface, and as they do so will this monumental question: Will the corresponding money for the salary needed to entice a quality head coach (never mind the wages that will have to be paid to those quality staffers he'll want to hire) surface with them?
As that is pondered, now is the time for Nancy Cantor to search her sofa's cushions for spare change.
-- Bud Poliquin
bpoliquin@syracuse.com
(In addition to reading his columns and "To The Point" commentaries regularly in The Post-Standard newspaper, you can hear Bud Poliquin on the "Bud & The Manchild Show," which is broadcast on Sports Radio 620 WHEN (AM 620) Mondays through Fridays between 3-6 p.m. You can also listen on-line at www.sportsradio620.com.)

No offense VegasKyle but here are two quotes from your article ....

I have, of course, no solid clue. Not on this date.

That submitted, and without any specific knowledge of the language in existing contracts relative to escape clauses and what-not

Sounds to me like that was clearly a column predicated on an opinion or opinions. Just becuase some guy wrote an article in some newspaper doesn't mean someone is a legitimate candidate. You are a damn good capper with some pretty good knowledge of college football. Ask yourself the question...why in the hell would Gil want to coach at Syracuse when he can make a bowl game and contend for a title in Buffalo??

I guess I just don't get why Syracuse is that much better a place to recruit to than UB seems to be headed? They play in the MAC, so seem to be able to be in contention each and every year if they do the job recruiting. When is the last time Syracuse has legitimately been relevant in the Big East??

No offense VegasKyle but here are two quotes from your article ....

I have, of course, no solid clue. Not on this date.

That submitted, and without any specific knowledge of the language in existing contracts relative to escape clauses and what-not

Sounds to me like that was clearly a column predicated on an opinion or opinions. Just becuase some guy wrote an article in some newspaper doesn't mean someone is a legitimate candidate. You are a damn good capper with some pretty good knowledge of college football. Ask yourself the question...why in the hell would Gil want to coach at Syracuse when he can make a bowl game and contend for a title in Buffalo??

it is from syracuse.com , so it is definitely an opinion piece as most rumors are...there werre offseason rumors too .. but i dont really care .. i concede the point.

To play devils advocate on why he might move ...

Well the odds are overwhelming that he leaves buffalo at some point.. hot coaching prospects rarely stick around in the MAC... whether he would leave that program for the cuse right now is a different question all together.. Syracuse will offer a lot more money than buffalo. The move , given syracuse current program condition looks lateral at best to me too right now ......

Mediocrity in the big east ( assuming he thinks he can turn the program back into mediocrity instead of where it currently sits ) has more prestige than MAC championships ... that might not be fair but it is the way it is.

Like i said , you probably have a much better handle on what is going on there than me. Willing to trust your judgement that it is less likely than i thought.

For most of us, the answer's obvious: SU is a big step up from UB. But he might prefer to wait for a better opportunity elsewhere.

I guess I just don't get why Syracuse is that much better a place to recruit to than UB seems to be headed? They play in the MAC, so seem to be able to be in contention each and every year if they do the job recruiting. When is the last time Syracuse has legitimately been relevant in the Big East??

around 2001 i think... been a while hasn't it ?

For most of us, the answer's obvious: SU is a big step up from UB. But he might prefer to wait for a better opportunity elsewhere.

Sorry to beat the issue here but SU is not nearly a BIG step up from UB at this exact moment. UB has only been a D 1 school for 4 years and could probably beat SU at this given time. The schools are so close in proximity, I find it hard to believe in the future, that Syracuse will dominate the recruiting trail over UB. Buffalo is the "pro" city with teams in NFL and NHL. The Bulls are a new player to the Division 1 game and they will most likely be a force to be reckoned with in the very near future. I hop I don't sound like a homer, because I couldn't be further from that. What I am is objective and astute enough to see what's going on around here with UB, local kids are wanting to stay and play for the Bulls, and there has always been a bunch of local talent (they just used to go elsewhere to play).

What I meant from a big step up was...a game played between the two right now, in Buffalo, UB is the favorite. A game in Syracuse and the 'Cuse is no more than a 3-5 point fav.

What I meant from a big step up was...a game played between the two right now, in Buffalo, UB is the favorite. A game in Syracuse and the 'Cuse is no more than a 3-5 point fav.

they were only -4 to akron ... so would be favored less to buffalo i would imagine.

No offense if your a Buffalo fan but Turner Gill would not turn down the Nebraska job to coach at freakin Buffalo.

He was the Husker QB, an assistant coach there for 13 years (he coached Frazier and Crouch), has 3 MNC rings from there, and is from Texas (he recruited some solid Texas kids to Nebraska when he was there).

The Husker job would be his dream job.

I bet he would take the Syracuse job as well if offered but if he turns around a program that has been the worst in the nation for sometime now he could probably hold out and get a pretty big gig.

He would be the next hot coach to leave a small school for greener pastures like Meyer, Hawkins, etc...

It happens all the time. If the big schools want you they will get you. Hell look what Texas keeps doing to every hot DC that comes through Auburn...

That has nothing to do with a coaches decision. WSU got blown out by Baylor tonight but that doesn't mean Baylor is the better job.

Syracuse has more money, better facilities, better history, better tradition, better fans, bigger TV contract, and better conference.

The upside of Syracuse if they had the right coach is far superior to Buffalo. Sorry not trying to make a dig at your school but it is the facts.

That has nothing to do with a coaches decision. WSU got blown out by Baylor tonight but that doesn't mean Baylor is the better job.

Syracuse has more money, better facilities, better history, better tradition, better fans, bigger TV contract, and better conference.

The upside of Syracuse if they had the right coach is far superior to Buffalo. Sorry not trying to make a dig at your school but it is the facts.

UB is NOT my school, really sorry if it came off that way, and I think I already said that (although it may have been privately to VK). I live in Buffalo and follow the team, but I am no way a huge fan or homer. I'm sorry but you can't tell me that Syracuse has better faclities than UB. The Carrier Dome is probably one of the 5 worst venues for college football. You can talk about the history all you want, but it's been a LOOONNNGG time since Syracuse was good. And what's to say UB stays in the MAC forever?

I'm not saying the Gil will stay at UB forever, and he may well have really wanted the Husker job, but give UB 2 or 3 years of bowl eligible play and Buffalo will outdraw Syracuse at football games. My only point in all of this was that, in my opinion (and it may only be mine), Gil is not going to venutre off to Syracuse as a "step up" from where he is now.

And you're telling me that talent has nothing to do with a coaches decision? Cuse and Buffalo are about 90 minutes apart and UB is a better school than Syracuse in many regards. What's to say Gil doesn't want to go down as the man who "built" the UB football program and took it to another level. You and I may disagree, but not everyone wants to leave somewhere for the "better job" or more money.

Back