Northwestern vs Minnesota Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Slightly longer version here. The parts that will get taken out are obvious, the few sentences which involve something bad about Minnesota. But i'm just trying to be honest and not like a car salesman. Thanks to @s--k for the contribution (spot it) :)

Unreliable Favorites: Fade Northwestern vs Minnesota

No. 23 Northwestern (7-3) hosts Minnesota (5-5) Saturday at Noon ET. The Wildcats are favored by 7 or 7.5 points.

Northwestern lacks the offensive firepower to be a reliable favorite of 7+ points in a conference game. They did barely cover as 6.5 point favorites against Purdue last week, but were out-gained in yardage and benefited from Purdue missing a field goal on one drive and not scoring from Northwestern's 4 yard line on another.

Northwestern's offense boasts two NFL-caliber players, quarterback Clayton Thorson and running back Justin Jackson. But poor blocking and the inability to replace Austin Carr at wide receiver have hindered offensive production. Neither star can compensate for the lack of offensive support.

Thorson has already thrown 11 interceptions, 2 more than last year. He is reluctant to throw the deep pass and predictably relies on the shorter passing game. Even with shorter passes his accuracy can be spotty: in 5 of his last 6 games he has completed less than 60% of his passes.

But finding open receivers is also difficult when they lack the quickness required in a spread offense to achieve separation from defensive backs.

Furthermore, the offensive line has struggled to open lanes for Jackson, who has averaged more than 3 yards per carry once in the past 4 games.

Minnesota's defensive line was decimated by injury. Nate Umlor, a tight end with the physical characteristics of a defensive end, made his first start against Michigan State and was run all over by Sparty's LJ Scott. But that was over a month ago. Since then, the defensive line has improved as a unit and held the subsequent three rush attacks outside the top 50 in YPC to either .1 above their season average in YPC or below their season average. Northwestern ranks 106th with 3.6 YPC.

Linebackers Jon Celestin and Thomas Barber lead Minnesota in tackles. They set the pace on defense and combine leadership with physicality.

Quarterback Demry Croft's mobility and stronger arm made him the right choice to start for the Gophers. He proved himself in his execution of coach PJ Fleck's spread option against Nebraska.

Northwestern's defense isn't porous like Nebraska's. However, Croft's versatility is a skill that Northwestern's defense consistently struggled with.

The Wildcats gave up 41 points in week 2 to Duke, when dual-threat quarterback Daniel Jones threw for 300+ yards and ran for 100+. The Wildcats have improved defensively against the dual-threat, but not against quarterback mobility. Michigan State's Brian Lewerke was hurried 6 times by Northwestern's defense but only sacked once. He did not achieve many rushing yards. But he was consistently able to buy himself time in the pocket and he threw for a season-high 445 yards. When he needed to, such as on a key 4th down, he was able to run for a first down.

Croft, even more so than Lewerke, can scramble and buy himself time. Northwestern's secondary is so decimated with injury, and they are consequently forced to be so fearful of allowing the big play, that Croft can succeed in finding open passing lanes, especially underneath, and especially to leading playmaker Tyler Johnson.

A pair of bruising running backs support Croft, Rodney Smith and Duke McCrary. Smith has averaged 5+ YPC in the 3 of the past 4 games, McCrary averages 5.7 on the season.

The Verdict

Minnesota, which has covered 6 of its last 8 games against Northwestern, will get its best chance of achieving bowl eligibility in a game that should be decided by less than a touchdown. Thorson and Jackson are unable to carry Northwestern's offense alone. Minnesota, between the mobile Croft, Johnson and its deep corps of running backs, is more dynamic and will lead the Gophers' upset bid.

NCAAF Pick: Minnesota +7.5

Last edited:
Sorry for the meaningless trend. Forced to include that kind of stuff and couldn't find a better one.
I recognize the quantity of Big 10 experts here, feedback and discussion appreciated from anyone and everyone

Weird game here. Minnesota went way above expectations last week. Northwestern I'd doing their usual late season run for a nice Florida bowl game. I couldn't bet on Minny myself but laying points is rough too.

Yeah I was really looking to not bet on Minnesota because of how well they did last week. But even less I wanted to give Northwestern a touchdown. I think it'll be a close game.

This is a tough one.

Yes Purdue did outgain them and had chances to cover and show better on the scoreboard, but NW kicked two very short FGs as well that could've been TDs instead, so NW had potential pts left off the board as well.

I think the NW O has a settled in pretty well. I'd call them comfortable and confident again. Yes they still miss a guy like Carr, their current receivers aren't anything special, but compared to where they were in late September, they are executing the way they want. So I'm hesitant to say their O is still lagging at this point. Among those 11 INTs referenced, only 2 have come the last 4 games.

I was aware of the injury situation with NW's DBs earlier this year, but wasn't aware that was still an ongoing issue. I could research as well, but maybe you have it off the top of your head, do you know who is out or what key contributor is currently nicked up?

NW may struggle with Croft's legs, but doubt they will struggle much vs his arm. I prefer to go against NW with a team that has a little more balance than I expect Min can offer.

Having said that I would probably side with Minnesota and some generous points. Going to be a huge confidence boost last week vs Nebraska. It's still a name program and that is going to put a bounce in their step.

I just don't know how many pts to expect out of Min...20? Max? That means NW better not get more than 27, which maybe they won't.

Tough call. Could be tight game though, can see that. Good luck.

Back